Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2011, 03:18   #1
BHPian

Detailed info on importing a bike from USA

Relocating to India for good after living abroad for more than a decade.
I've already crated my 2009 H-D FXDC (Super Glide Custom)
I'm bringing my MC via ToR (Transfer Of Residency)

I thought I'll write a detailed posting on getting a bike from USA to IND on ToR.
I digged the thread but I couldnt find detailed information on getting a bike on ToR.(step by step procedure)

I hope this will be sorta guideline for anyone who wants to bring a bike on ToR.

Bit about the bike:
Purchased on Jan 7,2009. Have had it for more than 2 yrs under my possession.
2009 FXDC (1584cc)

Documents submitted to relocation agent at the time of MC crating
1.Clean Title (in your name)
2. Valid Insurace
3. Valid Bike Registration
4.Motorcycle Bill of Sale
5.Recall letter from H-D (it could be your bike manufacturer)

Will load some pics soon of the crated bike.
shrini78 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 03:35   #2
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 19th June 2011 at 16:15.
kraft.wagen is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th June 2011, 04:39   #3
BHPian

re: Detailed info on importing a bike from USA

Some pics of my bike with tons of mods that I did.
Last few mods that I remember
I did a 2" tank lift, raised the front end of tank to give a choppered look.
Repainted the whole bike from pewter pearl to brandywine.

Doing some 11th hour shoppin before I head back home.
Will post few more pics of crated bike once the dust settle downs
Attached Thumbnails
Detailed info on importing a bike from USA-1.jpg  

Detailed info on importing a bike from USA-3.jpg  

Detailed info on importing a bike from USA-4.jpg  

Detailed info on importing a bike from USA-5.jpg  

Attached Images

shrini78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 05:15   #4
Team-BHP Support

Shrini, thanks a lot for the thread. I plan to take my bike to India, though I dont know if it still makes any sense since the same has been launched in India at a very reasonable price. What is the requirement for getting Tor? Do I need to have the bike for 2 years or more?
Old 18th June 2011, 08:02   #5
BHPian

@Shrini,

Your bike is shining with chrome every inch. Nice mods there with the exhaust. Finish all the shopping before crating. You will save a lot :-)

Lets meet up when you get your bike.
Old 18th June 2011, 08:13   #6
BANNED

@Shrini,

Congrats! So, I guess your long planned journey has begun. Wish you a smooth transition back to India.

Your bike is looking really good in its current avatar. Hope your bike's journey is smooth as well.

Some tips:
1. If you havent shipped your bike yet, and you have some time, suggest you get some rolls of cling wrap, like the type they use in airports to cover baggage. When your bike gets to customs port, depending on your luck, it will sit in the warehouse for at least a week. There are so much of particulate dust there from all sorts of chemicals and stuff that go through there that it gets in every nook and cranny of the bike. A wrap will save you a lot of cleaning up time. Will prevent some small dings and scratches as well. Just keep the frame and engine number clearly visible.

2. Throw in a lot of spares with your shipment. You can get away with minimum taxes. I would recommend oil filters, brake pads, tires for sure, a long shelf life battery if possible.

Looking forward to hearing your experience to learn current customs situation.

Cheers.

Ride Safe.
Old 18th June 2011, 08:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Shrini,
Believe this would be on the best thread in terms of educating/creating awareness amongst all. Looking forward to seeing this thread close out on a positive note. Would be great to know the complete details right till you get a local registration number

And yes your bike is gleaming to her glory, nice stuff you got there. Quick check, remember Gthang mentioning of fuel issues with US HD's. Hope you are clear on that?

@Gthang,
Apologies looks like i do not quite know the latest on that thread.

Last edited by ku69rd : 18th June 2011 at 08:29.
Old 18th June 2011, 08:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar_setty View Post
@Shrini,

Your bike is shining with chrome every inch. Nice mods there with the exhaust. Finish all the shopping before crating. You will save a lot :-)

Lets meet up when you get your bike.
For sure.
Will Keep in touch & lets catch up.
Old 18th June 2011, 08:53   #9
BANNED

An awesome looking heavyweight this, how much did you pay for this there? So when you do a ToR, they allow it in without any customs duty I think, right? This machine will surely make you very very conspicuous here, get ready for stunned looks!
Old 18th June 2011, 08:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
@Shrini,

Congrats! So, I guess your long planned journey has begun. Wish you a smooth transition back to India.
Your bike is looking really good in its current avatar. Hope your bike's journey is smooth as well.

Some tips:
1. If you havent shipped your bike yet, and you have some time, suggest you get some rolls of cling wrap, like the type they use in airports to cover baggage. When your bike gets to customs port, depending on your luck, it will sit in the warehouse for at least a week. There are so much of particulate dust there from all sorts of chemicals and stuff that go through there that it gets in every nook and cranny of the bike. A wrap will save you a lot of cleaning up time. Will prevent some small dings and scratches as well. Just keep the frame and engine number clearly visible.

2. Throw in a lot of spares with your shipment. You can get away with minimum taxes. I would recommend oil filters, brake pads, tires for sure, a long shelf life battery if possible.

Looking forward to hearing your experience to learn current customs situation.

Cheers.

Ride Safe.
1.They have wrapped the bike with foam kinda material like you get on flat screen TV.My motorcycle cover will go on top of this material so hopefully I'll get less dust.

2.Regarding spares, My air filter is K&N washable & reusable. Have got few oil filter.
I just did a tire change, brake pad change & also brake fluid flush in front & rear so i should be good for another 2-3 yrs or another 8000-10000mls.

3.I hope my customs passage will be smooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Shrini, thanks a lot for the thread. I plan to take my bike to India, though I dont know if it still makes any sense since the same has been launched in India at a very reasonable price. What is the requirement for getting Tor? Do I need to have the bike for 2 years or more?
Not really sure what bike you ride but even my bike is launched in IND.
Since i've done tons of mods I'm taking my HD for the exclusivity.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd June 2011 at 02:39. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 18th June 2011, 09:41   #11
BHPian

Shrini,

it will help if you can update the thread with the Customs experience, this will surely help a lot of expectant TOR's to firm up their mind.

All the very best
Old 18th June 2011, 15:10   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
1.They have wrapped the bike with foam kinda material like you get on flat screen TV.My motorcycle cover will go on top of this material so hopefully I'll get less dust.

2.Regarding spares, My air filter is K&N washable & reusable. Have got few oil filter.
I just did a tire change, brake pad change & also brake fluid flush in front & rear so i should be good for another 2-3 yrs or another 8000-10000mls.

3.I hope my customs passage will be smooth
Hey, foam's good too. Just as long as it's not bare open. Hope the engine number and frame number will be easily visible because they will ask to open the whole thing just to see that.

Regarding tire, hope you keep in mind that your wear in India will be drastically different from what you have been getting in the US. Loads of accelerating and excessive braking are the hallmarks of Indian riding. That was why I was recommending tires and brake pads. Tires, especially Harley tires are very hard to get here, and you will have to pay quite a bit for shipping and customs when you buy online. Dont know how much support you can expect from Harley India because of DRI strong-arm policies.

Based on assumption you will be riding a lot

Cheers

Ride Safe.
Old 22nd June 2011, 06:06   #13
BHPian

Re: Detailed info on importing a bike from USA

MC was crated by Century Freight in Houston,TX.
Container's Locked,Loaded & Sealed.
It's all set to sail in a week's time.
I cant wait to see her on the other side

Will update the thread about customs & procedures (the whole nine yards) in another 6-8 weeks
Attached Thumbnails
Detailed info on importing a bike from USA-p1000080.jpg  

Detailed info on importing a bike from USA-p1000089.jpg  

shrini78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
MC was crated by Century Freight in Houston,TX.
Container's Locked,Loaded & Sealed.
It's all set to sail in a week's time.
I cant wait to see her on the other side
Good Work Shrini, believe now you can expect a bit of tough time in getting her out with customs clearance once she reaches Indian Shores. Any Idea or Estimated date given as to when the consignment will reach India?
Pray all goes smooth for you and with minimum of fuss. Eager to see your write up.
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:57   #15
BHPian

Thanks for putting up this wonderful thread shrini and hope all goes smoothly for you.
I will follow this thread closely.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks