Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 18:01   #76
BHPian

Re: A Harley dream comes true !!

Congratulation on the 883 DKG. I recently completed my MSF Basic Riders Course and have just got the M class added on my licence here in the US. I have found a few 883 in the used market and some of the 883's are available for around 4K. These motorcycles are kept well with very few miles on them.

I was planning to get one of the 833 as I love them but many of my friends suggest that I go for a higher capacity bikes as they feel I will out grow the 883 very fast. I have never rode a bike above 350cc so far and I was wondering how to go about. Do you have any suggestion for me?
Old 8th July 2011, 18:01   #77
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
DKG, what brand of fuel do you use for your Harley (Speed 91, Speed 97 etc etc)???
I was told regular is okay. I don't know the particulars but the compression ratio won't be that high to warrant higher octane fuels. Even my VFR I run on regular as it was KY spec meant for middle eastern markets where high octane fuel was not available in the 90's
Old 8th July 2011, 18:33   #78
BHPian

All 883 variants have a compression ratio of 8.9:1 and so normal petrol of fine for them.

Cheers,
Old 8th July 2011, 21:30   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I was told regular is okay.
Interesting to read this!!! one of my friend picked up the 48 and he was advised to use only the premium/shell super fuel. What does the manual read for Super low? Believe all the sportster have a common owner's manual
Old 8th July 2011, 22:16   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Congratulation on the 883 DKG. I recently completed my MSF Basic Riders Course and have just got the M class added on my licence here in the US. I have found a few 883 in the used market and some of the 883's are available for around 4K. These motorcycles are kept well with very few miles on them.

I was planning to get one of the 833 as I love them but many of my friends suggest that I go for a higher capacity bikes as they feel I will out grow the 883 very fast. I have never rode a bike above 350cc so far and I was wondering how to go about. Do you have any suggestion for me?
Your friends are right, the 883 can quickly start to feel small especially in America.

Even though it seems like a big jump from the 350cc you're used to, it starts to feel small pretty quick.

I'd recommend finding a Harley dealer in your area that has rentals (and a lot of dealers do) and renting a Sportster for a day (~$90/day) and then a big twin after that (~$130/day), before making your purchase decision.

Of course, if you're going to get a used one in good condition for a very good price off of something like a Craigs List, you can flip it in a year or so without losing much on it.

Either way, congratulations on getting your motorcycle license and keep us posted with pictures and stories.

Ride Safe!
Old 9th July 2011, 08:29   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post

Man get a 1200 & even that you'll out grow.
I bought a 1200 & I'm 6'2" and just rode for 100mls and traded it for a dyna.
My luck at that time HD was offering a full buy back on their sporty if you traded for a big V-Twin so I didnt lose any money.
883 is really not a beginners bike but its more marketed towards lady riders (even though I used to ride with lotsa ladies who rode softails/dynas/baggers)
My best bet would be New-Roc HD in New Rochelle,NY and they give out pretty good deals every now & then.
Old 9th July 2011, 21:36   #82
BHPian

Heartiest congrats! It must be a great feeling to ride the 'Hog'. Waiting for more pictures & ownership reviews. I wish HD opens a plant in India soon so that many more can enjoy the HD.
kunalsb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2011, 14:52   #83
BHPian

DKG, then which brand of petrol do you use for your HOG???
Old 10th July 2011, 20:08   #84
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
DKG, then which brand of petrol do you use for your HOG???
Regular fuel is fine as these are not high compression engines. I think its 8.9:1
Old 10th July 2011, 21:43   #85
BHPian

Congrats DKG!!! Yesterday only I visited HD showroom in Delhi Vasant Kunj Area. First feel awesome, it meant for really big guys. Anyone under 5.5 these are not for us. Though sales man was saying go for 48 it will be easy for you to drive. Though he invited me next week lets see.
sam003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 15:21   #86
BHPian

Congrats for the bike
I was wondering about a few things if you could shed light on

1. Maintenance & service/regular costs, especially compared to the japanese bikes

2. Would you recommend it as a daily drive and for soemone who intends to keep it for atleast 15 years?

3. Average kitna deti hai
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 15:55   #87
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
1. Maintenance & service/regular costs, especially compared to the japanese bikes
Roughly about Rs 2500 plus consumables is what I gather

Quote:
2. Would you recommend it as a daily drive and for soemone who intends to keep it for atleast 15 years?
Ofcourse you can easily use it as a daily driver. If you are happy with the bike it can last for a lifetime if used and maintained well

Quote:
3. Average kitna deti hai
18-20 km/litre, can be more if ridden at a steady pace of 60 kmph

Last edited by DKG : 11th July 2011 at 15:56.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 18:27   #88
Senior - BHPian

I keep coming back to look at those lovely alloys. B-E-A-yooteeful.

Heartiest congrats to you sir. My very humble suggestion would be to keep it bone - stock, just as the (motorcycling) gods intended it.

Ride safe.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 21:12   #89
Senior - BHPian

That's a great bike you've got there, Mr.DKG!
Love the colour!

Did you go to Leonia resort on Saturday with a bunch of Harleys (one belonging to fellow bhpian, the modded XL1200)? Because my brother was there and he got me a few pics and the moment I saw the SuperLow, it reminded me of your bike.
Attaching a pic (haven't blanked the plates because it is still on T/R)
Attached Thumbnails
A Harley dream comes true !!-dkg.jpg  

shyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 21:38   #90
BHPian

Congrats!!! that is one hell of an acquisition. i have been a Harley fan ever since i can remember.

my dad is dead against bikes but one look at the pictures of your harley and the mouth watering price point and he has given me the green signal to purchase one. now there is only the small matter of finance speaking of which i know its a question not many harley buyers would ask but are there any finance options available.

nonetheless congrats on the sweet ride i too dream of owning one someday and if i ever do i will in some way have to thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks