Team-BHP - Meet the first woman to buy a Harley-Davidson in India!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Meet the first woman to buy a Harley-Davidson in India! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/104038-meet-first-woman-buy-harley-davidson-india.html)

One of my colleagues from work has bought a Harley Davidson. Here is the article from NDTV:
Quote:

Meet the first woman to buy a Harley-Davidson in India!-1309888495_latest_news_harley-davidson-first-woman-customer-inindia.jpg

Why should men have all the fun with Harley Davidson? Bangalore-based HR professional Sheeja Mathews today became the first woman in India to own the iconic cult motorcycle, thus breaking the stereotype of only tattoo sporting muscular hunks riding the bike.

The 34-year-old, who has been riding to her office on her husband's Yamaha Rajdoot 350 for the past 10 years, is now looking to cruise the new 'Iron 883' to her workplace at least once a week.

"I didn't know that I was the first woman to buy a Harley Davidson in India till the company people told me. I thought of upgrading to a Harley when they opened a showroom here," Mathews told PTI.

When asked what prompted her to go for a Harley Davidson, she said: "Well, I have been riding my husband's bike for the past 10 years and I thought it was high time I upgraded."

Mother of a 7-year-old son, Mathews said even her son is excited about the new bike, on which the family has spent about Rs. 8 lakh in total, although the ex-showroom price of the bike is Rs. 6.5 lakh.

"Oh, he wants me to drop him to school on the bike so that he could show off his mother's bike to his friends," she said, adding, she would be taking the bike on long rides on weekends.

A self-proclaimed foodie and a shopaholic like any other woman, Mathews said she has been a drag racer as well.

"I do drive a (Tata) Safari and (Chevrolet) Cruze but I love bikes," she said, adding, her businessman husband chipped in 20 per cent of the amount for her Harley Davidson.

The American cult bike maker started selling its bikes in India from last year and announced to set up an assembly plant in India in order to cater to demands here.

The Iron 833 model is one of the two models to be assembled at the Bawal facility in Haryana. The other model is the Super Low.

The company offers a total of 15 models in India priced between Rs. 5.5 lakh to Rs. 38.66 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).

Read more at: Meet the first woman to buy a Harley-Davidson in India

Wow!! This is heartening news. Nice to the fairer sex coming up and buying these machines.

All the best to her for the IRON 883.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pri2 (Post 2418936)
One of my colleagues from work has bought a Harley Davidson.

I think she bought this bike quite some time back. Am yet to see it in office though. This news is on the front page of today's TOI (Bangalore edition)

Correction: The order for the bike was placed sometime back. The bike was delivered to her just now.

Yes she is quite a automotive enthusiast. I believe she has also won the Nandi Hill climb in the women's category.

By the way, Pri2, I am also your colleague :D

Read this in the front page of today's TOI. Good to see automobile enthusiastic women! Should show this to all those wives/mothers who ask us "What do you get by riding/driving so many kms? It's just waste of fuel and energy." :Frustrati

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

WOW !! That is awesome ! A RD350, Cruze , Safari and now a HD - way to go !!

I can't believe it took the ladies that long to start. I figured it was about time someone did. Kudos to the lady who did. I'm glad we shall be seeing the fairer sex pick up SBK's soon enough and join us ! With the affordable SBK - Kawasaki Ninja 650 I think a lot more women shall join in too.

Happy riding :)

Great:)))
Its good to see this happening, though I have seen fairer sex riding on royal enfields in this part of the country.
An acquintance sold his almost new CBR600RR to a female rider in NCR,this happened a few years ago.

Oh brilliant. Just the type of news that makes my day.

Kudos to the lady. I guess her bigger concerns will be taking care of the bike when parked in public places. Guys have difficulty from stopping people from randomly touching, sitting, twisting, toggling switches on their rides. I am expecting a lady to feel a bit nervous.

Heartening! But then, she was hardly a newbie to power machines (RD350 et al..).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azzkikr (Post 2419522)
I can't believe it took the ladies that long to start. I figured it was about time someone did. Kudos to the lady who did...

agree:

Even at the lower end of the recreational biking spectrum (200-500cc) , there is a huge untapped market potential involving the fairer sex. Promos and manufacturer led training initiatives can convert many of those who are willing but unsure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 2419546)
Oh brilliant. Just the type of news that makes my day.

Kudos to the lady. I guess her bigger concerns will be taking care of the bike when parked in public places. Guys have difficulty from stopping people from randomly touching, sitting, twisting, toggling switches on their rides. I am expecting a lady to feel a bit nervous.

Did you see the arms on her? I don't think she'll have any problem at all :D

Women motorbiking to commute has always been around. Women motorbiking for leisure is a whole new paradigm which is just beginning to open up in our country.

Did you guys notice the tatoo on her biceps!!!
In the West, lots of ladies drive Iron 883 and Super Low. Sporty and easy to handle!!! Glad its catching up here also!!!

Today's news has become quite a talked on in office today.

Since I am the local expert, I got lot of queries. Lot of hits on their website from our office for sure.

Some guys who never look at bikes as leisure or passion but only Point A to Point B were inquiring about EMI options and the lot.

Talk of Heck its one life and all that came pouring out.

I have been asked to accompany a few to the Harley Davidson Showroom for a touch and feel session.

The news surely got HD the eye balls it wanted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 2419762)
Did you see the arms on her? I don't think she'll have any problem at all :D

I was sure either you or Iron4Hawk are going to comment on those arms. :uncontrol Yeah I think she has got it covered.

Happy to see this news on TOI front page.

I see lots of ladies behind crude MM Jeep steering wheels in Coorg! Last time I spotted few driving Thar as well.

Great to see that someone is enjoying life to the fullest. Not everyone has a chance to buy a Harley, and even if they had, they may not do it for a plethora of mind games. A welcome example, if there were any.

Kudos.
And thanks for posting.