Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2011, 06:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Questions after booking the 2011 HD XL1200X Forty Eight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avneeshj View Post
I'll get myself V&H Shortshots and a AN Big Sucker on the next US trip and then come and get a remap. Might even go for a SERT.
Sounds like a plan Avneesh, do keep us posted. Also any expected date for the delivery?
Old 16th July 2011, 12:40   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Sounds like a plan Avneesh, do keep us posted. Also any expected date for the delivery?
I called the dealer today. He is going to receive 2 Black 48s in August, one of which is mine. No specific delivery date has yet been received. Mid-August would be a good estimate he says. He'll confirm the exact date in a week or so. Then the long drawn process of getting the bike shipped from Delhi to Nagpur.
Old 16th July 2011, 13:49   #33
BHPian

Congratz on your 48 and the mod's....!
Old 16th July 2011, 18:53   #34
BHPian

Quote:
I called the dealer today. He is going to receive 2 Black 48s in August, one of which is mine. No specific delivery date has yet been received. Mid-August would be a good estimate he says. He'll confirm the exact date in a week or so. Then the long drawn process of getting the bike shipped from Delhi to Nagpur.
Why not riding from Delhi to Nagpur and finishing up the run-in period
Old 16th July 2011, 20:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

That would be wonderful, pick up the delivery on 12th which happens to be a friday and you have a long weekend as well
Old 17th July 2011, 01:00   #36
BHPian

Haha I wish. I don't think it'll make my wife very happy. Plus I think after being off a bike for so long I'm not quite ready for long rides. Although now I am thinking of calling the dealer and asking him to make the delivery happen around 12th here in Nagpur. That would be pretty sweet.
Old 21st July 2011, 11:03   #37
BHPian

Congrats avneeshj! Great choice there. Looking forward to seeing your Harley on the road!
Old 22nd July 2011, 15:13   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveanddrive View Post
Congrats avneeshj! Great choice there. Looking forward to seeing your Harley on the road!
Thanks driveanddrive!

I called the dealer and he still hasn't received the schedule as to when he'll receive the bike from the factory. He's supposed to receive 2 in August but doesn't have any dates to commit yet. August is a mere week away but still no date. :(
Old 4th August 2011, 16:37   #39
BHPian

August is here now and yet my dealer doesn't have a date to commit to me. I have fired off an email to HD India. Let's see what they have to say.

I am more concerned with the date because I need it to be transported to Nagpur and have to make arrangements. I have found rates from Gati and TCI. Dealer has told me that my motorcycle will be ready to run and strapped on to a metal base and then boxed up and be ready to travel. They claim its the safest way to transport a bike. They have also given me a quote for transporting the bike which is quite exorbitant however they say that that particular truck shall carry only my bike and nothing else from Delhi to Nagpur. I will have to arrange for a forklift for loading in Delhi (separate price quoted) and unloading in Nagpur (not an issue at my factory).

Any suggestions/advice on the transporting bit are welcome. Never had to transport a bike before so I am confused.
Old 4th August 2011, 17:49   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
August is here now and yet my dealer doesn't have a date to commit to me.
I am more concerned with the date because I need it to be transported to Nagpur and have to make arrangements. I have found rates from Gati and TCI.
Avneesh,
Agree to your concerns with the delivery dates which was my bone of contention which led to my cancellation. Basically a moving target and you are never assured until you see the bike in the showroom with keys in your hands.

Regarding the transport of the bike one option is to leave it with the dealer and his suggested mode as this would be quite an expensive bike. Not quite sure how competent TCI folks would be and their expertise in handling such a cargo. This would be expensive option

Other option you can think of is to ensure you physically being present at the spot ensure the bike is ideally fastened with the dealer's sign off (suppose he is willing to commit to that) and then have it transported. This might be a bit of toil for you. You might be able to save the odd buck but you ought to be willing to bear an element of risk.

Third Option and the best one, if you are in good shape and have the confidence do ride down from Delhi to Nagpur which is around 1000Kms which will take care of your running in as well. Money well spent with all the thrill and joy. You might have to call the service guy once you reach your place.

So do think over it and make the best decision.
Old 4th August 2011, 21:24   #41
BHPian

^^^ That was my suggestion too. Enjoy the ride :-)

Another option is to drive to Delhi along with a friend or relative. Ride and drive back together.
Old 5th August 2011, 17:51   #42
BHPian

I understand it would be awesome to ride the bike home but that won't be possible. I got a quote from GATI after giving them the dimensions of the box and according to the volumetric weight the quote is much higher than it was earlier. So now I just might go with the dealer's mode of transport since he is most confident with that, even though it's a little bit more than GATI's quote.

I got a very quick reply from HD India with a copy marked to the dealer asking them for action. However I received no response either on email or over the phone. So I called up myself and they still don't have a date for me. They acknowledged the email that I had sent to HD India and keep promising that the bike will be here within this month but apart from that they don't have any more details. I guess I just have to sit and wait. In other news though, most of my riding gear has shipped from the US and should be here in a week or so. At least this package I can track lol.
Old 5th August 2011, 18:33   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So now I just might go with the dealer's mode of transport since he is most confident with that, even though it's a little bit more than GATI's quote.
In other news though, most of my riding gear has shipped from the US and should be here in a week or so. At least this package I can track lol.
Can understand the pangs of waiting without a ray of hope, HD has to sort this route out quickly lest they lost more customers. Would agree to your mode of transport it is not only safe but the liability would be completely with the dealer to ensure that the package has reached safely.

Do share the link to gear that you have purchased/placed order to
Old 5th August 2011, 20:47   #44
BANNED

Quote:
I understand it would be awesome to ride the bike home but that won't be possible. I got a quote from GATI after giving them the dimensions of the box and according to the volumetric weight the quote is much higher than it was earlier. So now I just might go with the dealer's mode of transport since he is most confident with that, even though it's a little bit more than GATI's quote.
Hi there. I had faced a similar dilemma when I had to transport my newly imported Nightster from Chennai docks to Coimbatore. GATI rates were pretty high, and what I discovered was that I could hire a Tata 407 from my place and still comes out cheaper since they charge for roundtrip anyways. This way, I got a guy I could track directly on the phone and know exactly where my bike was at all times.
Try getting a quote from a local trucker. It might work out.

Cheers.
Old 6th August 2011, 11:27   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Do share the link to gear that you have purchased/placed order to
The gear I have bought so far consists of 1 set of jacket and helmet each for my wife and I and a pair of gloves for me. I have decided to get a good leather riding jacket whenever I travel abroad next.

Wife's Helmet
My Helmet
My Jacket in black
My gloves in black

I already have one half helmet from HD and am also getting myself a pair of Oakley wind jackets.

I am not sure if posting links is OK or I am supposed to post pictures directly so let me know. I had planned on posting pics once I received my gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Hi there. I had faced a similar dilemma when I had to transport my newly imported Nightster from Chennai docks to Coimbatore. GATI rates were pretty high, and what I discovered was that I could hire a Tata 407 from my place and still comes out cheaper since they charge for roundtrip anyways. This way, I got a guy I could track directly on the phone and know exactly where my bike was at all times.
Try getting a quote from a local trucker. It might work out.

Cheers.
This sounds interesting. I'll ask around for some price quotes. Thanks for the tip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks