Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2011, 04:03   #61
BANNED

Re: The Mean Green Big Kwacker Rides Home : My Kawasaki Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
I read in the review thread the size of the fuel tank is 15 liter and the mileage is 17 KMPL. If one need to go on long drive at triple digit speed, I think the mileage will drop to 15 KMPL, so the range is 225 KM only. Do you think it is good enough for long drive ? Do we get petrol pump within 100 KM range ?

I am out of India for 3 years now and returning soon. In India my 4 wheeler used to gives me 500 KM range. But there was an incident when I was not able to find petrol on fuel bunk for almost 100 KM, they were having diesel but no petrol.

Do you think this could be a problem during long drive ?
Around where we ride, in the southern california and arizona deserts, there are very few stops and very little braking. With hard riding we get the same range as mentioned here. My friends Ninja 650R with 4.1gallons compared to 5.2 on my VFR is very comparable. While I may do 180 miles in a tank, he refills every 160. So, even if you were to buy a different bike you should plan on gassing up every 250 kms.
Old 12th September 2011, 10:37   #62
BHPian

Guys

Recently went on a quick 1200 round trip from Mumbai - Goa and Back. The route choosen was Navi Mumbai-Pune-Kolhapur-Nipani-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Goa and back.

Firstly the day started early, i was down to the parking lot with my luggage - "Rjays supersport panniers" at 5.45am, it was my frist time in using the panniers / saddlebags and let me tell you its some exercise, after 45mins of struggle i managed to get them on and at 6.30am got on the palm beach road. The rain gods greeted me almost as soon as i started, in the next 2 hours i was on the Pune bypass. Here i took my first stop. The next halt was for breakfast about 50kms ahead of pune on the foothills right before the ghat, immediately after the ghat had to stop for fuel, the next halt was about 20kms before kolhapur, here i noticed something amiss. The puncture plug which was repaired a day before seemed to have loosened up, i took some water in the bottle cap and poured it on the puncture and saw the air wheezing out. immediately rushed to the nearest petrol bunk which was fortunately a couple of kms away. The best part of the onward journey was the stretch of 30kms from Kolhapur to Nipani, amazing roads in Karnataka. The overall journey took me 10hrs to reach. The only time the rain gods spared me was about 5kms before reaching my destination in Goa, rest of the 570kms was in continious incessant rains.

The bike cruises very comfortably at 140kmph, its rock steady and the overall seating geometry is very condusive for touring, i had very minimum fatigue despite of being my first time on any ride more than 100kms oneway.

The return journey started at 6 am sharp, the rain had subsided and i was praying for the roads to dry off, the journey until pune was almost dry and i was constantly hovering at the 130-1450kmph mark, there was a stretch from karad to Satara where i clocked 123kms in 1hr flat, come Pune and i was caught in very heavy showers, this continiued right upto khandala where i had my lunch at 2pm. from there to Vashi was little less than 1hr. At 3pm i was home and starting to unpack.

The Ninja 650r is a fun machine, which handles very well, the only botheration was the near frequent fuel stops, i was always riding in the high rpm zone and the bike returned an overall mileage of 16kmpl which is ok considering my riding style which is the least suited for high mileage rides.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mean Green Big Kwacker Rides Home : My Kawasaki Ninja 650R-ninja-ready-ride.jpg  

The Mean Green Big Kwacker Rides Home : My Kawasaki Ninja 650R-ninja-after-550kms.jpg  

Speed-Freak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 11:12   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freak View Post
Guys

Recently went on a quick 1200 round trip from Mumbai - Goa and Back. The route choosen was Navi Mumbai-Pune-Kolhapur-Nipani-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Goa and back.

Firstly the day started early, i was down to the parking lot with my luggage - "Rjays supersport panniers" at 5.45am, it was my frist time in using the panniers / saddlebags and let me tell you its some exercise, after 45mins of struggle i managed to get them on and at 6.30am got on the palm beach road. The rain gods greeted me almost as soon as i started, in the next 2 hours i was on the Pune bypass. Here i took my first stop. The next halt was for breakfast about 50kms ahead of pune on the foothills right before the ghat, immediately after the ghat had to stop for fuel, the next halt was about 20kms before kolhapur, here i noticed something amiss. The puncture plug which was repaired a day before seemed to have loosened up, i took some water in the bottle cap and poured it on the puncture and saw the air wheezing out. immediately rushed to the nearest petrol bunk which was fortunately a couple of kms away. The best part of the onward journey was the stretch of 30kms from Kolhapur to Nipani, amazing roads in Karnataka. The overall journey took me 10hrs to reach. The only time the rain gods spared me was about 5kms before reaching my destination in Goa, rest of the 570kms was in continious incessant rains.

The bike cruises very comfortably at 140kmph, its rock steady and the overall seating geometry is very condusive for touring, i had very minimum fatigue despite of being my first time on any ride more than 100kms oneway.

The return journey started at 6 am sharp, the rain had subsided and i was praying for the roads to dry off, the journey until pune was almost dry and i was constantly hovering at the 130-1450kmph mark, there was a stretch from karad to Satara where i clocked 123kms in 1hr flat, come Pune and i was caught in very heavy showers, this continiued right upto khandala where i had my lunch at 2pm. from there to Vashi was little less than 1hr. At 3pm i was home and starting to unpack.

The Ninja 650r is a fun machine, which handles very well, the only botheration was the near frequent fuel stops, i was always riding in the high rpm zone and the bike returned an overall mileage of 16kmpl which is ok considering my riding style which is the least suited for high mileage rides.

Wow, superb speedfreak ! Must have been fun. Some more pics please ! Just 2 Pics dont do justice to a Mumbai - Goa ride.
Incidentally I too managed to get the 650 number thanks to a new series opening up during my registration !
I too fully agree that this bike is a beauty to ride and handle, and as someone asked me how is the bike - I told them, its like a Pulsar on Steroids, they were appalled at me comparing my bike with a Pulsar but hey, Pulsar itself is an excellent bike, and the 650R is as easy to ride as a Pulsar.

Cheers.
Old 12th September 2011, 11:43   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly the day started early, i was down to the parking lot with my luggage - "Rjays supersport panniers" at 5.45am, it was my frist time in using the panniers / saddlebags and let me tell you its some exercise, after 45mins of struggle i managed to get them on
Your ride looks like real fun! How did the Rjay's behave at speed? Any wobbling or shifting from where you had tied them? And how good was the rain protection once you had the sleeve on?

Also, have you shortlisted any sliders?
Old 12th September 2011, 15:06   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by plimsollmark View Post
Wow, superb speedfreak ! Must have been fun. Some more pics please ! Just 2 Pics dont do justice to a Mumbai - Goa ride.
Incidentally I too managed to get the 650 number thanks to a new series opening up during my registration !
I too fully agree that this bike is a beauty to ride and handle, and as someone asked me how is the bike - I told them, its like a Pulsar on Steroids, they were appalled at me comparing my bike with a Pulsar but hey, Pulsar itself is an excellent bike, and the 650R is as easy to ride as a Pulsar.

Cheers.
Hey Pillsollmark,

I couldnt get more pictures as my iphone apparently drank a lot of water and is out cold. I should think about a waterproof cover for the phone now.

WHats the news on your bike ? have you booked one already.

@ Jalva - Rjays held on pretty well, however the sleeves accumulate a lot of water from the rear tyre, i happened to dump atleast 1.5 liters of water each during each of my stops. The rain protection is strictly ok, i would recommend having plastic / hard polythene covers for everything that you dump in those saddles.
Old 12th September 2011, 15:12   #66
Senior - BHPian

16kmpl is good enough i guess given that my 250 gives around 28-30. And trust me anything above 200+ kms of range is decent for fuelling unless you wish to ride out in the mountains up there. Rider fatigue would definitely make you stop more often than not every couple of hours or 150kms or so.
Old 12th September 2011, 15:12   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rjays held on pretty well. The rain protection is strictly ok, i would recommend having plastic / hard polythene covers for everything that you dump in those saddles.
I got a rain cover with my Rjays Platinum series Elite tailbag and it keeps the contents of the bag bone dry. If you did not get a rain cover, you could probably buy one... or pack your stuff in ziplock plastic bags and then stuff them in the panniers.
Old 12th September 2011, 19:02   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Pillsollmark,

I couldnt get more pictures as my iphone apparently drank a lot of water and is out cold. I should think about a waterproof cover for the phone now.

WHats the news on your bike ? have you booked one already.
Sad to hear about your iphone ! I had already booked it in June and got delivery last week on tuesday. Now awaiting registration papers, delayed thanks to the ganesh festival. But got the number .

Happy riding.

Cheers.
Old 13th September 2011, 13:45   #69
BHPian

Hi,

I want to buy a bigger windscreen for Ninja 650R from Germany, the similar model here is called as ER-6f and they have accessories for this model. I am not sure if this windscreen will fit on Ninja 650R.

Can you please let me know the vertical length of the current windscreen in inches from your bike. As well if you could also major the horizontal distance between the bolts which hold the windscreen will be helpful.
Old 13th September 2011, 14:13   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Hi,

I want to buy a bigger windscreen for Ninja 650R from Germany, the similar model here is called as ER-6f and they have accessories for this model. I am not sure if this windscreen will fit on Ninja 650R.

Can you please let me know the vertical length of the current windscreen in inches from your bike. As well if you could also major the horizontal distance between the bolts which hold the windscreen will be helpful.
Pawan, the ER-6F is the one and the same as the 650R. Known differently in different parts of the world thats all.

Cheers.
plimsollmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 14:51   #71
BHPian

I found these three windscreen, but length is not mentioned on their website. I have to compare if they are really bigger than the existing one.

If you could provide the length, will be very helpful.

ER-6f SPOILER-SCHEIBE
ER-6f SPOILERSCHEIBE
ER-6f BUBBLE-SCHEIBE
Old 13th September 2011, 16:38   #72
BHPian

Hi Pawan,

I have put Zero Gravity SR (Stock replacement) screen, they also have Double Bubble and Sports Touring ones.

Check this link - Windscreen Innovators - Zero Gravity
Old 5th October 2011, 12:06   #73
BHPian

Hello Bhpians

Its been a longtime since i have visited this page !

Some upgrades have gone into place.

1. Zero Gravity SR screen.
2. Akrapovic Titanium Slip-on's

Upgrades in the coming weeks.

1. RG-Racing - Frame sliders.
2. RG-Racing - Swingarm spools.
3. Hopefully a new lid for myself - Arai

Am attaching a few pics of my kwacker with the upgrades and pics from the Sunday breakfast ride to Igatpuri with the big boys.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mean Green Big Kwacker Rides Home : My Kawasaki Ninja 650R-14.jpg  

The Mean Green Big Kwacker Rides Home : My Kawasaki Ninja 650R-7.jpg  

The Mean Green Big Kwacker Rides Home : My Kawasaki Ninja 650R-9.jpg  

Speed-Freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 12:13   #74
Team-BHP Support

Hi!

Was the bike at home among the big boys?
Old 5th October 2011, 12:26   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2. Akrapovic Titanium Slip-on's
Would you have any video to share on the Akrapovic slip on? Quite keen to know the difference it would make for a 2 cylinder motor.

Most Viewed