Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2011, 22:36   #1

Biggest dilemma of my life : Hyosung GT650R or Kawasaki Ninja 650R?

hi guys

though i have been a avid reader of this forum, this my first thread on team-bhp. i have been keenly following up the launch of both Kawasaki Ninja 650R and Hyosung gt650r.

i am now looking forward to bring one of these beauties into my life but selecting which is proving to be a daunting task for me and here i am looking for your expert suggestions.
First a bit about my riding history, it started with first generation HH CBZ followed by Pulsar 180 and currently i am riding a HH ZMR.

I will be using the bike for day to day travel which will involve traveling 20kms of traffic congested roads in bangalore (for bangaloreans i will be travelling from Bamannahalli to cambridge layout). fuel economy is not a constraint.

also if some one knows where i can get a CBR 600rr or a yamaha r6 for a decent price it would be great

Last edited by GTO : 22nd July 2011 at 23:04. Reason: Correcting spelling
Old 22nd July 2011, 02:48   #2
BHPian

Re: Biggest dilemma of my life Hyosung gt650r or Ninja 650r ?

They are two different kind of beasts, so irrespective of what everybody can advise you, it will finally boil down to what you want.

For a start here is some basic comparison:

The KoJap Dilemma : Ninja 650R vs GT650R - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 05:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yaar, simple story hai. For someone like you whose been through a string of bikes, you would want a bike with better resale. Which is the Ninja anyday

The Hyosung, though quite nice to look at in person will never get the resale.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 07:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Yaar, simple story hai. For someone like you whose been through a string of bikes, you would want a bike with better resale. Which is the Ninja anyday

The Hyosung, though quite nice to look at in person will never get the resale.
My 2 Cents
1) Hyosung --> seems more to be a sports inclined bike (seating ergonomics understand the engine performance is more or less similar)
2) Kwacker --> More of an all rounder

Since you have mentioned that your usage would be more for the city my suggestion that Ninja seems to be more apt. Offcourse with Ninja you might be benefited with Brand Image, better resale value and other stuff. Downside to it, you ought to wait for an indefinite period to even book the bike let alone taking delivery.
Old 22nd July 2011, 07:27   #5
Team-BHP Support

I would also suggest the Ninja, for you have mentioned daily city usage of 20kms. That too, in congested bangalore roads! The relaxed riding position (comparitively), and the better lower end response should make the Ninja a better experience in town.

However, one question- with both these bikes, wont they bikes tend to get overheated in such traffic conditions? And you would never be able to exploit these bikes to their potential, except during weekend rides! Keeping the smaller ZMR for traffic commute and a Ninja for weekend pleasure would be a better choice IMHO.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 07:47   #6
JVH
Senior - BHPian

The Ninja 650 is classified as a sports tourer. With a weight of 205 odd kgs it may sound heavy on paper but I'm told by very experienced rider friends that its very easy to manouver and flick even in our traffic conditions. But if your requirement is daily ride you may be doing injustice by buying the 650

For the GT650R, if I were you I would wait for sometime to see how the product performs and more importantly how Garware provides the technical support to the customers. Its a good product but should be backed up by the after sales. On the other hand, ProBiking folks are doing a good job on the Kawasaki products.

So, between the 2 I would pick the Jap. If I would have been more confident about the Hyosung service, it would have been a real dilemma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishabh.asthana View Post
also if some one knows where i can get a CBR 600rr or a yamaha r6 for a decent price it would be great
It would be a long exercise. Finding a 100% legal import would be very difficult. One of the members here..Devilsomething was claiming he knew a few guys. You can check with him.

Al the best!
Old 22nd July 2011, 10:12   #7
BHPian

Hyosung:
(+)
-> Comes closest to a real sports bike feel
-> Better looks (individual perspective)
-> Best suited for spirited sports riding
(-)
-> Not suitable for day to day office commuting (IMHO)
-> Service network reliability not yet proved
-> Resale price may not be as good as Kwacker 650

Ninja:
(+)
-> Excellent Service capabilities in probiking showrooms
-> Good resale for Ninjas so far (IMO)
-> Great touring and day to day biking capabilities compared to a sports bike

(-)
-> Only falls back on actual sports bike/premium looks compared to Hyosung

I think based on your requirements, you should definately go for the Ninja as its the most practical choice between these two.
Old 22nd July 2011, 10:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Would agree with Jayant 'But if your requirement is daily ride you may be doing injustice by buying the 650'

Unless you are planning to use the bike on the tracks or highways suggest you to look at other bikes. No offense mate
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishabh.asthana View Post
I will be using the bike for day to day travel which will involve traveling 20kms of traffic congested roads in bangalore (for bangaloreans i will be travelling from Bamannahalli to cambridge layout). fuel economy is not a constraint.

Since the usage will be in city traffic on a daily basis i would recommend the Ninja 650R. It handles very well despite being slightly over the 200 kilo mark. The resale value will be higher than the korean counterpart although cost of maintenance will be comparatively higher.

The hyosung like any other sports bikes tends to heat up a lot in slow moving traffic. Plus they dont have a dealer here in Blore and service back-up is non existent. There is one person on another forum who has bought the GT650R in blore via the mumbai (?) dealer but i am wondering who's going to service and maintain the bike till Hyosung is here officially.

Hyosung is a nice bike, no doubt but its a sports bike and will not be fun to ride in the city. It'll be great to ride on the highways for a short blast or on the track.

The Ninja on the other hand, being a sports tourer will be fun on the highways (great mile muncher) and fare pretty well in the city too. The ninja will most definitely make you a tourer and a good one at that.

Regarding the R6 and CBR600 visit our classifieds section.
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:06   #10
BHPian

As mentioned above w.r.t riding position, after sales service and resale value in which Ninja scores, you should also look out for the quality of product. IMHO the quality of built for Ninja has been proven and vouched for, while Hyosung would be fishing in unknown waters. (Though Aquila and Comet by them were supposedly good).
Also if sales don't pick up for Hyosung (with CBR 600 & R6 launch expected by next year), they wont think twice about packing up again from India.
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd July 2011 at 16:23.
BANDHAV is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Buying a 5L rupee motorcycle is for someone who is deadly keen on riding...or has a bottomless expense account.

These are decisions driven by the heart rather than the head and therefore my advice to you is:

Get the bike that makes you yearn for it...the way it looks, smells, feels, goes...it has to give you a hard-on otherwise there just is no point throwing all that money away. If you want practical - get a Unicorn.

There you go...

Last edited by manson : 23rd July 2011 at 11:28.
gsferrari is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 19:59   #13

everyone thanks a ton...i am now more inclined towards Ninja...will be visiting the dealership here in bangalore tomorrow to get a better feel of the bike...again thanks a ton guys
Old 22nd July 2011, 20:33   #14
BHPian

if you want a sport bike... wait for the ZX6R or the R6.

if you don't mind a tourer instead of a sport get the 650R.

5L is not a small amount to be spending on a brand that is not really dependable.
Old 24th July 2011, 22:00   #15

Re: Biggest dilemma of my life : Hyosung GT650R or Kawasaki Ninja 650R?

was not able to visit the showroom cause of some personal problems :( but now i am getting more and more inclined towards Ninja, will be going there on this coming weekend and will make the booking then and there

Most Viewed