Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2006, 10:32   #1
Team-BHP Support

Yamaha to buy back '06 R6 due to tacho error.

Yamaha has announced that it will buy back all 2006 R6's if the owner is not happy with the fact that the tachometer has a 9% error in it. This means that the R6 revvs to 16,000rpm and not 17,500 as advertised.

Yamaha Buy back

Now, would we ever see this sort of thing in India! Can you imagine Tata sending out a letter to its owners telling them that the car has 1 inch less legroom than advertised, so if you'd like, you can sell the car back to the company for its original value! Yea right!
Old 15th February 2006, 11:10   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Now, would we ever see this sort of thing in India! Can you imagine Tata sending out a letter to its owners telling them that the car has 1 inch less legroom than advertised, so if you'd like, you can sell the car back to the company for its original value! Yea right!
YES IT COULD HAPPEN... when you see pink elephants flying in the sky!!
Old 15th February 2006, 22:31   #3
BHPian

yep...2 of my friends had thier bike delivered recently and had the problem...the bike shops din know nuts about it....hope they get a new bike soon...
Old 16th February 2006, 00:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

How stupid are engineers at Yamaha and bike owners/testers? Calculating revs is a simple combo of the speeds achieved and the gear ratios, since all three are related.
Old 16th February 2006, 07:37   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
the tachometer has a 9% error in it. This means that the R6 revvs to 16,000rpm and not 17,500 as advertised.
Boo...i just lost some respect for the 06R6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
How stupid are engineers at Yamaha and bike owners/testers? Calculating revs is a simple combo of the speeds achieved and the gear ratios, since all three are related.
Actually the sensor is straight off the crank if i am not mistaken. If i had to guess i would say that the error came in at the D2A conversion or some stage after that though... (its an analog tacho right Rtech?)

cya
R

EDIT
ps - yepp..looks like it to me ! (could just be something as small as a few ohms difference on a resistor in there....but im sure yamaha knew their engine wasnt hitting 17.5k.)

still love her though...

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th February 2006 at 07:47.
Old 16th February 2006, 11:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, rev sensing is always off crank or ECU, but you can still figure out any one of the three - speed, revs, gear ratios - given the other two. Pretty dumb.

Bike still looks good though. Best looking Yamaha yet. Almost makes me want to give up being a Ninja fan.
Old 16th February 2006, 12:08   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Yeah, rev sensing is always off crank or ECU, but you can still figure out any one of the three - speed, revs, gear ratios - given the other two. Pretty dumb.
I wouldnt call it dumb, because that kinda implies that yamaha didnt know, and i think thats close to impossible...
wonder if this was some kind of marketing trick gone bad or something like that!?

cya
R
Old 16th February 2006, 12:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

The 06 R6 is really really tiny compared to the other superbikes.

The aim to reduce drag coefficient, Weight,... the size has been decreased.

This might prove a hindrance to a few who'd like to feel a big superbike rather than a moped with a 107bhp engine :(
Old 16th February 2006, 13:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

I mean pretty dumb that it took so long. Hasn't the bike been out for a few months? I mean, even in India, people do real speed vs speedo speed comparos, so I'm surprised there hasn't been a big commotion about it.

Well, maybe now things will be rectified...

@Rtech: seems like Yam lied through their teeth. Like Mahindra saying the Scorpio has 5 cylinders, knowing fully well it's only 4. The buyback was the least they could do.
Old 16th February 2006, 13:43   #10
Team-BHP Support

Frankly, the only reason Yamaha launched the buyback was to avoid some guy sueing the pants of them for false advertising. 99% of the R6 owners are not going to return their bikes.

And how does the 1,500rpm mistake affect the performance at all? It doesn't. Just like a speedo error in all our cars, this bike has a slight tacho error. If I had an '06 R6 wih me, I wouldn't really give a damn.
Old 23rd February 2006, 00:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
If I had an '06 R6 wih me, I wouldn't really give a damn.
I second that dude.
Old 23rd February 2006, 21:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Yamaha has announced that it will buy back all 2006 R6's if the owner is not happy with the fact that the tachometer has a 9% error in it. This means that the R6 revvs to 16,000rpm and not 17,500 as advertised.
Well that sounds like some production and wrong advertising result by the Yamaha guys............

Quote:
Well atleast I remember calling up few people and telling them about the mistake in the power steering (in a particular lot of production) and asking them to bring it back to the service center.
Old 26th February 2006, 12:24   #13
BHPian

Well guys...

If Yamaha really wanted to advertise the wrong way and lie, why do you think they would come out in the open and accept that their claimed statistics were partly incorrect?

Just a personal opinion...Yamaha is being honest about it...I think most autos have errors we cannot catch sometimes...

As Rtech said...How much difference does 1500 rpm make? It's still producing esentially the same power and torque and all other stats remain the same.
Old 22nd March 2006, 02:55   #14
BHPian

Hey Speaking Of Tachos,
Is there any way you get digital tachos for indian bikes (especially the PULSAR)???
Old 22nd March 2006, 04:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Actually the sensor is straight off the crank if i am not mistaken. If i had to guess i would say that the error came in at the D2A conversion or some stage after that though... (its an analog tacho right Rtech?)
Most of the modern tachs are run by stepper motors, not mechanical. So theres may not be conversion to A.

Sounds hokey. They should have made lots of dyno runs before launching the bike. Now you're telling me the tach on the dyno was also off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks