Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2011, 22:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: When Harley Came to Bidar!!

Bidar is a great place for people who love to live in small cities. The town though may not figure prominently anywhere, tell you it is a lovely little city, have very good memories of this town as I studied my Engineering there and there is no scarcity of auto fans in the town, the Engineering College could also be the primary target of this whole thing as there are lot of very rich students from Northern India and many of them can definitely own them. Jai Bidar!
Old 14th September 2011, 22:30   #17
BHPian

Neel,
Your intro post talks about your job. Thanks for sharing what you felt during your test drive.
The feeling of that motor putting out raw power must have been something..
But I'm sure the kick from the afterburner is way more addictive than anything else you're gonna experience.
Old 14th September 2011, 22:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMind View Post
But I'm sure the kick from the afterburner is way more addictive than anything else you're gonna experience.
That, my friend, is another story...and a very good one at that!!
Old 15th September 2011, 07:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
That, my friend, is another story...and a very good one at that!!
Neel,
Was about to pop in that very question, is it that you are bound not to share/quote your experiences with them? If not then would request/plead you to start a thread on them
Old 15th September 2011, 09:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Just wondering... I know HD is out of budget for most Indians, I would think same goes for young Airforce officers. Are they giving some special deep discount so that Airforce officers can afford it?

I think he knows, he is one of them.
I find that statement very offensive and would like to contest it.

A base model HD XL883 one that DKG also bought, costs about 6.5L OTR. Same as the Swift or any other B+ Segment Hatchback. If an IAF officer can afford that, I'm sure he/she can afford a HD as well. Its just a matter of priorities.

As about discounts, if HD has registered with CSD, then the prices for services personnel will be considerably lower. And not to forget service personnel can get the vehicle registered at any base address depending upon the lowest tax and need not necessarily got to register at the place of their present posting.

Also as a case in point, one of my wife's colleague is an Ex-IAF Wing Cdr and her husband is a serving IAF Officer and CO of the base. He drives a Corolla automatic - A middle/senior management car in any corporate.

Bottomline: Armed Forces salaries are not bad and with the level of amenities available to them, base model HD is definitely affordable. And IAF pilots are pretty well paid.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 15th September 2011 at 10:09.
MileCruncher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 10:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just wondering... I know HD is out of budget for most Indians, I would think same goes for young Airforce officers. Are they giving some special deep discount so that Airforce officers can afford it?

I think he knows, he is one of them.
I do not know if it is out of budget for most Indians - I know I do not have the money to buy a nice bike. That being said - I would like to believe that that Air-force officers do get paid and that they are not exactly below the poverty line. If they cannot afford a decent vehicle we should try make amends to ensure that they are paid well, they definitely deserve more than a bunch of keyboard warriors whose products keep crashing.

Quote:

Well, if you are a bachelor in here with a take home pay of around 40K and normal monthly expenses of about 5K (in case yo smoke and drink) which will be your normal mess bill, then I think that one can afford an EMI of 15K which will get you the 883, which is exactly what one guy bought! Another guy is yet to take a final call between a 883 ans 1200!!

The was a discount of about 60K on the bikes and special interest rates by HDFC for us.

Thanks, but how did you know?? (or am I that loud??)
I am glad that HD & HDFC gave the brave men a good deal. After all each day of their working lives they put their very lives at risk. Though that 40K would tot up to much more in the civilian world courtesy the amenities and facilities provided, I wish it were more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
For once MileCruncher and I are in agreement. Please show more respect for the fine officers and men of the Indian Armed Forces.
Ravveendrra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 10:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are they giving some special deep discount so that Airforce officers can afford it?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
For once MileCruncher and I are in agreement. Please show more respect for the fine officers and men of the Indian Armed Forces.
OT, But very relevant.

@Samurai.

Coming from a defense background, i find your statement derogatory.

The first pay package of a commissioned flying officer is 50k+ apart from the benefits mentioned below.

Accommodation
Insurance Cover
Annual leave of 60 days and 20 days of casual leave.
Leave Travel Concession
Loans at special rate
Free Medical Facilities to self and dependents.
Free Ration
Recreational Facilities
Free Education Facilities
Canteen Facilities
Opportunities For Higher Learning
Post Retirement Benefits like pension, medical facilities, use of
canteen etc.

Let me know if there is any such institution in India which could come close.If we cannot show respect, we could do the least by refraining from such derogatory comments.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 11:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
OT, But very relevant.
Apologies folks for going

Have many friends whose parents were in Army, trust me they get each and every amenity that you find and at subsidized rates as well. If HD had taken to Air Force base camp for a demo it would mean that they have done their homework. Looks like HD is raking in all their IHP to make HD India a success.
Glad to see such a professional approach.

PS: Military men get the best of training which is above current market standards. Had been to their Pegasus training for a corporate team building exercise. The experience was highly rewarding and later realized that these exercises have been in army folds ever since 80's
(.:Welcome to Pegasus Institute for Excellence:.)
Can go on putting the benefits of life in Army but this is not the best forum to discuss it.
Old 15th September 2011, 11:52   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I do not know if it is out of budget for most Indians - I know I do not have the money to buy a nice bike. That being said - I would like to believe that that Air-force officers do get paid and that they are not exactly below the poverty line.
I think my knowledge on military salary is outdated. My uncle was in Airforce (now retired) and many of my friends in the 90s (and before) were from Defense backgrounds. After I came back to India in 2004, I am not in touch. According my close friend's brother who was in Navy, they get to enjoy all the amenities, but cash status is not that great. May be things have changed in the past decade.

Don't these bike cost more than 5L at least? How many civilians go for 5L+ bikes? Don't compare with cars, which have much more utility. These bikes are purely for fun and can't provide the domestic utility of cars. That is the reason behind my comment.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
@Samurai.

Coming from a defense background, i find your statement derogatory.
Let me know if there is any such institution in India which could come close.If we cannot show respect, we could do the least by refraining from such derogatory comments.
Quote:
These are extremely baseless and careless allegations. I am somebody who returned to India after a decade long stay in USA, without ever applying for GC or USC unlike most of my generation. I even got a Indian passport for my US born son, which was later forcibly undone by US consulate. I spent 3 years in NCC unlike most of my classmates, couldn't get into armed forces only because of my high-value prescription glasses. So, I implore you not to question my patriotism or respect for our military.
Old 15th September 2011, 13:46   #25
BHPian

Peace guys. Lets get back to the topic here rather than discuss rust on HD bikes or pilot salaries. Its about a passion to own a HD and thats what matters. Nothing else comes in between.

Although I am not a super fan of Harley bikes, I am full appreciation for the motor company for their initiative to give demo rides and take bikes to the potential customers door step in India. How many other 'premium' bikes do that. Harley has special deals to the marines in US and I am sure the CSD route will be in their plans for the men & women in uniform who put their lives on the line for all of our welfare.

Anyways, great going Harley
Old 15th September 2011, 14:01   #26
Team-BHP Support

Many people who have a take home of 1L a month(forget 50,000) can afford a 8L car. But how many would spend 5L on something for "fun"?
I guess that was the point Samurai was making. Nothing to do with Airforce or military.
In our country, people who get 50K take home will buy a car with 15K EMI, but a bike for 15K EMI? That would be somebody with real passion.
that said, its an very good Marketing move from Harley. They are here to promote their bikes, and also convince people that its okay to splurge on your passion.
And whats a better place than an Air Force base. Full of young officers, and people who like speed and thrill.
I am sure if they had come to a huge software company campus, all they would have gotten are very confused stares
Old 15th September 2011, 14:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mods..some of the pics did not upload when I submitted my post, so uploading them again
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hi Neel,

Don't underestimate about Bidar. The most famous "product" of Bidar is (should be) well known to every Indian and is (should be) the pride of every Indian - The Indian Airforce Fighter Pilots.
Neel ,

Bidar is most neglected place from tourism perspective though it has a fabulous fort rivalling even Agra fort. Historians and Archeologists place Bidar fort amongst the ten best forts in the country. So no need to feel small and underestimate the city. It is sad that it has not got its due though it is so close to Hyderabad. Other than the fort, Bidriware the delicate silverware manufactured in Bidar is beautiful as well.

Ram,

You are correct. But there more than AF base. See my answers above

Quote:
No chance. Even with enahanced salaries after the last pay commission - my friends are still serving - unless someone is from Royal families still serving in Armed forces. Are there anyone???? I doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Bidar is a great place for people who love to live in small cities. Jai Bidar!
Absolutely right. It is a hidden gem on toursit circuit. Ideal to club as a day trip from Hyderabad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Apologies folks for going

Have many friends whose parents were in Army, trust me they get each and every amenity that you find and at subsidized rates as well.
PS: Military men get the best of training which is above current market standards. Had been to their Pegasus training for a corporate team building exercise.
They may get some benefits - which is limited - but still pale in front of corporate salaries. Having worked in Army and now in in MNC, i can vouch for that. And ofcourse no amount fo money will make up for the kind of work and terrain they work in. Anyone who has gone on holiday to Ladakh will agree.
Pegassus is run by an army guy who seized a good business opportunity. The training given is 50% of what we guys get in Army. Toned down to suit civilians.

Quote:
I think my knowledge on military salary is outdated. My uncle was in Airforce (now retired) and many of my friends in the 90s (and before) were from Defense backgrounds. After I came back to India in 2004, I am not in touch. According my close friend's brother who was in Navy, they get to enjoy all the amenities, but cash status is not that great. May be things have changed in the past decade.

Don't these bike cost more than 5L at least? How many civilians go for 5L+ bikes? Don't compare with cars, which have much more utility. These bikes are purely for fun and can't provide the domestic utility of cars. That is the reason behind my comment.
You are spot on, Sharath. Things have not changed much as far as salaries are concerned. But better than what it used to be.

Civilians or army guys, HD is a luxury if you have spare money or if you are a diehard fan of HD who prefer the bike over the car!!
Old 15th September 2011, 15:22   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And Sir, I would like to contest your comparison
I hope you do realise that a Maruti Swift, or heck even a Nano provides far more utility than one of these high value two wheeler imports.
The Indian market is utility focussed than lifetsyle based. You'd see a 95% clients (if not more) pick a premium hatch or entry level sedan for 6.5 lacs over a two wheeler of the same value. So technically you could be right that a lot of Indians would be able to 'afford' a 6.5 Lacs or even a 10 lacs worth two wheeler, but there would be a very small fraction who would opt acquiring it over a similarly priced four wheeler for their first, or in most cases even second vehicle.
Old 15th September 2011, 15:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, if you are a bachelor in here with a take home pay of around 40K and normal monthly expenses of about 5K (in case yo smoke and drink) which will be your normal mess bill, then I think that one can afford an EMI of 15K which will get you the 883, which is exactly what one guy bought! Another guy is yet to take a final call between a 883 ans 1200!!

The was a discount of about 60K on the bikes and special interest rates by HDFC for us.
Do (young) airforce pilots have that much take home pay? Don't they have to pay for their own insurance, which alone may cost them 15K a month?

Last edited by Gansan : 15th September 2011 at 16:03.
Old 15th September 2011, 15:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
And Sir, I would like to contest your comparison
Well, we can keep on contesting each other and each side will have valid points no doubts. Its like the two sides of the same coin.

But I see you are a biker as well and bikers are supposed to men with passion . Air Force Pilots are no different if you actually see.

I think much has been said already on this topic and I don't want to add anything further.

I only hope that the advent of HD at the base gives rise a decent superbike collection. After all what better place to ride a SBK than an air strip

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks