Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2011, 11:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

My white glory is here - Hyosung GT650R

Hi guys, i have been waiting for this opportunity from so many months. I had my eye on the GT650R from the day its pics were posted over the internet, it had something which always drew my attention towards it but achieving it at that stage was extremly tough, i just had 1.5 lakhs with me for a bike costing something over 5 lakhs and there was already so much expenses over my education that i didnt want to ask dad for it. I would start with a brief intro about me.

Little Flashback
2 years ago i was about to turn 18 and i had no interest and no love for bikes, i stumbled upon bikes somehow because i was fascinated by Pulsar 220 but had no hope because my parents were a strict NO against biking as every mom n dad is. I started convincing them somehow and after a lot of persuasion and request i was gifted a 220 by my father but he took me to karol bagh and bought me a helmet and gloves before handing it over to me with a strict warning that the day he catches me speeding or receives a challan on my bike, he would just sell it off with no questions asked.

Now am 19 years old about to turn 20 in 2 months, have 10000 kms of riding exp with a few trips to hills namely Himachal and Uttarakhand and highways. I might sound strange but my friends have made fun of me many times seeing the gloves and knee guards but i have been least bothered about it, even for 2 kms riding gear has been with me and its not for showing off to anyone but for my own safety.

My rides
When i got the 220 i didnt even know how to shift gears, dad as my mentor was always a helping hand and taught me how to ride it. Then i started riding on the small roads, getting hang of it and made a few tours of hills after which on 14 Sep 2010 i crashed - thanks to a Bajaj Platina who hit me from behind fracturing my left wrist and was bedridden for a month and half. The biking journey crashed and i was sent to US for my studies asking me to bid farewell to biking forever and find a new car for myself which they will buy once am back.

The comeback
It was time to head back to India, i had been to US for Commercial Pilot course and dad set me a condition to be back by Sep as everyone was missing me and he would gift me a new car, no bike wasnt even a speck at that time. I agreed and didnt want to contest anything at that time, saw threads of i20 CRDi over team bhp and decided it would be my car but somehow that biker was still alive inside me, i knew i would never be satisfied with a car and i already had Linea to take where ever i wanted to.

Pics of GT always made me work hard, cleared my exams and finished my course in 11 months for which many take 1.5-2 years, i badly wanted my dream and this shows the effort - used to fly day and night totally exhausting the 8 hour/day limit almost every single day towards the end.

It was a hard thing convincing mom, it took me almost 2 months to get a nod from her as they always said "Son, your career would be finished if you break a bone or something now so please stop being kiddish, get a car and stop bothering about bikes"
At one stage i agreed but that biker reignited and i was able to finally get a YES from everyone.

Finances
A 19 year old is a waste and would only get the bike with dad's money is what everyone thinks. NO!, i know i have paid a small fraction which is 2L out of the 5.5 the bike costs but i have worked hard at nights analysing charts, calculations, i have been trading in stock markets from the age of 17 and this 2L has been made out of it over a period of time. Dad sent me some money to visit New York, my friends went but i saved that and stayed behind - seems foolish sometimes but you to sacrifice fun for fulfilling dreams.

Riding gear
This was of utmost importance and i have not made any compromise with it. For me and my other passion which is flying, my medical fitness is very important. I might sound bossy but am not those typical 19 year olds who want to show their face while riding a big bike, am of the other kind, more matured and thats the reason i am getting mine so soon as my father knows i ride easily.

Helmet - AGV K-3 gothic edition
jacket - Alpinestars T stunt
Gloves - Alpinestars GP PRO gloves
Boots - Alpinestars SMX 5 boots.

Yet to get knee pads though. Here is a pic of mine wearing everything

Dreams come true
Went on 17th Sep with dad and got the bike booked, White GT650R and delivery was for next week.. The feeling never really sinked in, i have dreamt about it and have worked hard for it, both academic and economic front.

Special thanks to my father who has always been very understanding and generous with my needs. With a lot of trust he has endowed the 650 upon me and i would never break that trust, never. Always ride safe and would like to ride in a way to live long enough to enjoy my passion..

Hope buying a Hyosung would be a sensible decision and they would provide a good service. Have some doubts about their quality but only time would tell now.

First impressions would be up shortly - uploading some pictures for now. More to come up soon.

Yeah got stuck up in slush and stuff on very first day thanks to a good human being who showed me the way out of Gurgaon lol. Really was out of my comfort zone.

coolboy007 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 11:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: My white glory is here - Hyosung GT650R

Congratulations, looks like a very passionate buy with some hard work. Good to see the riding kit as well being in place right from day one. All the best dude ride hard and be safe.

One question, which bikes did you consider before finalizing on GT?

Good quality photos as well, do keep us regularly posted on your ownership hi's & lo's. Believe yours would be the only second GT on this forum.
Old 30th September 2011, 11:44   #3
BHPian

Congratulations..

Would be looking forward to this thread. Its heartening to see young bikers like you taking full precautions on safety gear from their end.

P.S: Did you ever consider the ST-7 ??

RIDE HARD and be safe.
Old 30th September 2011, 11:47   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Aha, the biking Stig!

But, congratulation, she looks sweeeet!
i'm glad someone put inhibitions about hyosung aside and got it.

bang for buck, i presume.

if a 19 year old puts down even a rupee for a bike, thats amazing, but you managed what????
(no fingers at 19 year olds, just at my own self when i was 19, please)
wow!

Last edited by mayankk : 30th September 2011 at 11:48.
Old 30th September 2011, 11:53   #5
BHPian

Hi coolboy007,

First of all a big congratulations on getting the steed. She looks good in white.

Coming to the post, wanted to know your insights on a couple of things:

1. How was the buying experience at the dealer? Waiting period etc etc?

2. Heard from a couple of sources about the jerky (read mis-tuned) power delivery of the GT. Any such issues with ur bike?

3. Heating issues in bumper-to-bumper traffic or tight bylanes?

4. What are the recommended service intervals for this baby?

5. Any experiences of the "kitna deti hai?" kinds? How bout being an eye-ball magnet?

6. And finally, did u at any point consider the Ninja 650R ?
I guess the Ninja would be more suited for ur trips to the hills but is definitely not a patch on the GT in terms of looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Helmet - AGV K-3 gothic edition
jacket - Alpinestars T stunt
Gloves - Alpinestars GP PRO gloves
Boots - Alpinestars SMX 5 boots.
Thats a nice set of riding gear brother. Looks like u got it during your stint abroad. Prices please (for lesser mortals like us) ?

My apologies for inundating you with so many queries but as a potential customer myself I just couldn't wait to hear your experiences. A BIG congrats once again. Ride on dude and dont forget to take her to the track ASAP !!
Old 30th September 2011, 11:53   #6
BHPian

Am in no way a biker and the only thing i owned was a splendor whilst in college.

But yet on seeing the pics i have a little something stirring in my heart.

Good you value safety.Always keep on your helmet and never drive under the influence of alcohol or friends.Both are heady and make you do stupid things.

Congrags on your buy.A headturner for sure.

Last edited by revintup : 30th September 2011 at 11:55.
Old 30th September 2011, 13:56   #7
BHPian

Thats an awesome buy and a very good choice of color on the GT650. It looks stunning, would have looked even better if you had the jacket on during the ride from showroom to home . Always wear your gear, especially on powerful bikes - even if its a very short ride.

Reminds me of my first ZMA buy using my own hard earned money when I was 20.

Please do update initial ownership comments and long terms updates on the thread as often as possible, it helps a lot of us on knowing the nittie gritties associated with the bike in question.

Happy Riding Bro
Old 30th September 2011, 14:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and ride safe .I can only guess what you will pick up once you are past 25 .
Nice gear too .
Old 30th September 2011, 14:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulation on your new ride. The bike in white looks awesome. The gear is neat and I particularly like the helmet. Ride Safe.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Enjoyed reading your post coolboy. Its good to see that safety is prime to you... even when your peers and buddies poke fun at you. Some people compromise on the safety gear and learn the hard way. Glad you have invested in good quality gear right at the beginning.

ATGATT !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
Coming to the post, wanted to know your insights on a couple of things:

2. Heard from a couple of sources about the jerky (read mis-tuned) power delivery of the GT. Any such issues with ur bike?

6. And finally, did u at any point consider the Ninja 650R ?
+1. Please share your experiences on the booking, delivery etc.

Also interesting to know that you jumped right from a 220 to a 650, so how did you cope on the first few days, knowing that these bikes are pretty darn quick.

Congrats again on your purchase. She looks awesome in white. Ride safe.

Last edited by n_aditya : 30th September 2011 at 14:33.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations boy!!
That's a very cool ride for your money!!
And congratulations for your hard-earned CPL too in quick time.

I think @narula123 has covered most of the queries in his post. Looking forward for your reply.

Drive safe always and yeah nice helmet there
Old 30th September 2011, 15:01   #12
BHPian

Coolboy,

Reading the prologue stirred something, I saw a bit of me, though apart from the fact that I stole my Dad's Yezdi and rode to Leh, broke my elbow and came back in a shaktiman!
Bought my bike through lot of struggles and opposition!

Kudos for sticking to your aspirations casting it to reality!!

Enjoy your ride!
Old 30th September 2011, 15:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats coolboy, I am really glad for you. The young pilot will be flying low.

Please also share the initial trouble you faced with some small niggling issues and Hyosung's response on the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Also interesting to know that you jumped right from a 220 to a 650, so how did you cope on the first few days, knowing that these bikes are pretty darn quick.
If not for Azharuddin's son's freak accident, we would have been very much looking at a liter class bike. As coolboy was all set to get something even bigger.
Old 30th September 2011, 15:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations coolboy on your new ride. Like @mayankk said you do look like the Stig in the outfit.

Can you post some pics of the bike alone please?. The colour looks great, happy mile crunching and drive safely. Good to see that you have the safety gear in place, how much did the accessories cost you. Happy long drives then.
Old 30th September 2011, 15:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
All the best dude ride hard and be safe.
One question, which bikes did you consider before finalizing on GT?
Good quality photos as well, do keep us regularly posted on your ownership hi's & lo's
Thanks a lot buddy, well there are not much options in India - it was only Ninja 650R and GT650R and at my age i preferred GT over the Ninja, due to the v twin grunt, the looks - the service is still a question mark but lets see, have made this ownership to be honest with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG SARAN View Post
Would be looking forward to this thread. Its heartening to see young bikers like you taking full precautions on safety gear from their end.
P.S: Did you ever consider the ST-7 ??
Thanks Saran, am glad you all appreciate the riding gear instead of some fools who make fun of you and start racing after seeing the gloves and all. And nopes i never really considered the ST-7, cruiser is not for me at this stage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
But, congratulation, she looks sweeeet!
i'm glad someone put inhibitions about hyosung aside and got it
Thanks mayankk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
First of all a big congratulations on getting the steed. She looks good in white.
Thanks a lot narula, thanks.

Quote:
The buying experience was really good as it is with everyone before selling their products, its the after sales which matters. The sales manager is a friend of mine so it was smooth, waiting period was just 3-4 days for the cheques to get cleared, they had a white ready.

Quote:
Heard from a couple of sources about the jerky (read mis-tuned) power delivery of the GT. Any such issues with ur bike?
If you mean to say smooth acceleration while opening the throttle, then not, its a little jerky for sure in the first gear, if its due to the EFI or V twin torque, i have no clue.

Quote:
Heating issues in bumper-to-bumper traffic or tight bylanes
The heating is really quite a lot, more so in the running in phase right now. If you get stuck in 1st and 2nd gear then the heat does take its toll as a 650cc should and the fans kick in throwing heat everywhere

Quote:
What are the recommended service intervals for this baby?
First one at 1000 kms, then 4000 and then every 4000 kms

Quote:
Any experiences of the "kitna deti hai?" kinds? How bout being an eye-ball magnet?
Yeah whoever asks me i simply say 35-40 kmpl to avoid any more stupid questions, she is really an eyeball. One car guy shouted from the back and asked me R1 kitne ki hai - gosh...

Quote:
And finally, did u at any point consider the Ninja 650R ?
I guess the Ninja would be more suited for ur trips to the hills but is definitely not a patch on the GT in terms of looks.
Yes i did, my dad was hell bent over it but i really didnt like the styling and am not a tourer kind of guy. Just Sunday trip to highways with few short bursts of accel suffice me.

Quote:
Thats a nice set of riding gear brother. Looks like u got it during your stint abroad. Prices please (for lesser mortals like us) ?
Thanks, yeah i bought everything abroad. Telling price looks a lil embrassing but if you request i will - helmet costed 220, jacket - 200, gloves - 230, boots - 220. Everythin in $$$.

Quote:
My apologies for inundating you with so many queries but as a potential customer myself I just couldn't wait to hear your experiences. A BIG congrats once again. Ride on dude and dont forget to take her to the track ASAP !!
Not a problem buddy, ask as much as you can. Am free these days, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Good you value safety.Always keep on your helmet and never drive under the influence of alcohol or friends.Both are heady and make you do stupid things.
Thanks, would heed to your advise as thats a very sensible one and what you say holds true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
Thats an awesome buy and a very good choice of color on the GT650. It looks stunning, would have looked even better if you had the jacket on during the ride from showroom to home . Always wear your gear, especially on powerful bikes - even if its a very short ride
Thanks salunkhe, i didnt wear the jacket because i wanted to be comfortable on the very first day and not drop her. Appreciate your advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Congrats and ride safe .I can only guess what you will pick up once you are past 25 .
Nice gear too .
Hahahahah, thanks for those words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Congratulation on your new ride. The bike in white looks awesome. The gear is neat and I particularly like the helmet. Ride Safe.
Thanks bigron, am glad you liked it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Enjoyed reading your post coolboy. Its good to see that safety is prime to you... even when your peers and buddies poke fun at you. Some people compromise on the safety gear and learn the hard way.Glad you have invested in good quality gear right at the beginning.
Thanks Aditya, still remember exchanging some PM's with you regarding Ninja and GT. I always prefer safe biking than being a hooligan and breaking bones.

Quote:
Please share your experiences on the booking, delivery etc
Done the same above, would do so with the first impressions shortly in a new post.

Quote:
The only issue is keeping her below 100 - it really seems that the speedometer is a fake Korean brand , everytime it shows in 3 digits, it just gallops away.

I now really have to say that you need loads and loads of maturity to ride such machines, i am having a hard time controlling this bike so i can only imagine how it feels to be on a litre class straight away.

Quote:
Congrats again on your purchase. She looks awesome in white. Ride safe.
Thanks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Congratulations boy!!
That's a very cool ride for your money!!
And congratulations for your hard-earned CPL too in quick time
Thanks Fordmanchau, well really had to work hard for CPL for finishing it in half the time but anything for a GT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
Coolboy,
Kudos for sticking to your aspirations casting it to reality!!Enjoy your ride!
Thank you, well glad to hear your experience though it wasnt a very pleasant one but never mind every bikers has kissed tarmac once.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed