Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Superbikes, which one? Finally bought Yam FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Yes Ashwin, FZ-1 shares the same space with R-1, MT01 & Vmax. Its an air conditioned setup and quite self sufficient. Tools are entirely different including the basic spanners (Chrome Vanadium Stuff). More on that front in a short while.
Hope that the guys in the Air Conditioned space wielding these special tools are proficient enough to handle the bike with its due care!
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:57   #32
BHPian

Hearty congrats on the beast!
Understated but mean looks, for me the frontal looks with 4 silencer pipes was the best.
Did you consider the Ninja 650R (considering your requirements) or Hyosung GT650R. Or you wanted only a 1L one?
Old 4th October 2011, 09:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek_924 View Post
Hearty congrats on the beast!
Did you consider the Ninja 650R (considering your requirements) or Hyosung GT650R.
Thanks for your words Shrek, nope did not consider the Ninja 650 as I was very keen on an Inline 4 Setup. FZ-6 or the hornet is yet to be made available for Indian Market. Not sure if they would ever see the light at least in the near future. Hyosung GT is more of a racer boy and did not fit into my scheme of things.
Old 4th October 2011, 17:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Ku69rd! Nice bike. Like you I am an inline four fan, too. Singles, twins, V4s are not my thing. Enjoying your ride? My only grouse with FZ1 is its resemblance to FZ16. Yamaha shouldn't have done that. When a guy pays almost 10 lakhs for a bike, he wouldn't like it to be mistaken for a 1 lakh rupee bike. He does deserve some exclusivity. Anyway, can I request you to post a sound clip please ( drive away sound, not idling sound )?
Old 7th October 2011, 08:04   #35
BHPian

My heartiest congratulations to you Mahesh! I was skeptical about the FZ1 looks when i'd read about it in a magazine because the FZ16 was an exact clone of the FZ1. But after looking at the flesh (during the Mulbagal ride with JVH and co.), i must say that it has a lot of street presence!! The huge tank,4 exhaust pipes and the HUGE rear tyre gave it a mean mean stance!!!
The exhaust note was a clear winner for me!

Nakeds are the way to go in India and you've got a very potent machine at that!! Enjoy
Old 7th October 2011, 09:28   #36
Mik
BHPian

Congratulations !
I had an opportunity to test ride Nikhil's FZ1. Believe me, i still remember the sheer thrust
The best part was that i could easily handle it even at 20kmph - almost like a regular street bike. Very good SBK for Indian conditions. Though these bikes can easily turn into killing machines if not handled properly. Ride safe!
Old 7th October 2011, 10:39   #37
BHPian

Did u consider FZ-8 when zeroing on your FZ-1?
Is FZ-8 available in IND? or will they ever bring it?
Old 7th October 2011, 11:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Anyway, can I request you to post a sound clip please ( drive away sound, not idling sound )?
Thanks Sagar, will try to have a video captured. Majority of the photos that you see are courtesy my wonderful riding group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Nakeds are the way to go in India and you've got a very potent machine at that!! Enjoy
Thanks Porschefire, it was my pleasure as well. Yep the bike has been a dream to ride so far. Should say its like an never ending honeymoon. Hope to catch up with you on this weekend's ride as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Congratulations !
The best part was that i could easily handle it even at 20kmph - almost like a regular street bike.
Thanks Mik, yep the bike is easy to handle at low speeds. Once you are above 20 Ks, you will be surprised to believe that she weighs in at 215 Kilos. Very easy to handle. The thrust is very good especially when you red line the bike and upshift. Be safe when you try that out next time when you take Nik's steed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
Did u consider FZ-8 when zeroing on your FZ-1?
Is FZ-8 available in IND? or will they ever bring it?
Shrini, For sure would have considered the FZ08 if it was available in Indian Market. To be honest Yamaha India is just doing a lip service for their CBU section of bikes. They have very good range of bikes in the form of FZ-6, 8 & R-1 which i feel are very good bikes for Indian Conditions. FZ-1 was launched nearly a year behind schedule.
Old 7th October 2011, 12:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Congratulations !
I had an opportunity to test ride Nikhil's FZ1. Believe me, i still remember the sheer thrust
The best part was that i could easily handle it even at 20kmph - almost like a regular street bike. Very good SBK for Indian conditions. Though these bikes can easily turn into killing machines if not handled properly. Ride safe!
I wud have shown you how it redlines if the bike was warm enuf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Shrini, For sure would have considered the FZ08 if it was available in Indian Market. To be honest Yamaha India is just doing a lip service for their CBU section of bikes. They have very good range of bikes in the form of FZ-6, 8 & R-1 which i feel are very good bikes for Indian Conditions. FZ-1 was launched nearly a year behind schedule.
As of now fz is contributing 70-80% of sale for the yamaha CBU's . This should make yamaha think of getting more "less than 10L" bikes .
Old 7th October 2011, 12:16   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
This should make yamaha think of getting more "less than 10L" bikes .
Pretty sure on that front Nikhil, Yamaha should get in more bikes in the 5-8 Lakh bracket and see what it does to the Indian Market. HD Sportster segment will for sure be shaken up. Atleast in India, Yamaha means Power/Performance due to the legacy it has maintained with its RD & RX

Suggest Yamaha India needs young blood like you Nikhil!!!
Old 8th October 2011, 20:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Mahesh. Crisp and high content review
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 00:54   #42
BHPian

Hey sweet ride man, Congrats! really liked the pic in which your Parents were inspecting the bike. God bless and ride safe
Knight Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 10:46   #43
BHPian

Congratulations!! At first sight the bike really left unnoticed, but the tank and the exhaust manifold could make the best second impression. The bike looks massive, i always loved naked bikes. Well done Mahesh..
Happy revving.. Drive Safe..
Old 10th October 2011, 12:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_shanz View Post
but the tank and the exhaust manifold could make the best second impression. The bike looks massive,
Thanks Shanz, Yep the bike looks BIG because of the presence of a huge tank & the 4 bend pipes. Rest all are very compactly designed and made to fit like a horse shoe.

Thanks Knight Rider, yep thought it would be a very good token of gratitude from my end for all that they have done to me
Old 28th October 2011, 17:12   #45
Senior - BHPian

Ride Impressions & Service Update - 1800 Kms

Folks,
Thought would update the thread as it has been long since it has been left dry for some time. In between my posts got an opportunity to ride/service the bike for a couple of rides and got to attend first ever FZ-1 Owners meet for Bangalore Owners. Hopefully we make up an occasion to have an All India meet as well.

Ride Impressions of the bike

Suspension: Should admit this bike has been endowned with a very able & well tuned suspension, has a good 135mm of suspension travel for both front & back. The bike has been set up pre-dominantly on the harder side and this ideally helps when you are doing triple digit speeds. Options to fine tune the fork are simply too good where you can customise both for compression & rebounce. Currently at peace with default settings so will not be fingering them any much. A fellow rider has lowered the rear suspension which has made it a bit more stiff ride compared to the factory set up. Apparently he is reconsidering to factory settings the last time we hit the roads.

Engine: Well this has been my very first Superbike and as such am a novice to make any comments around the sheer power of this beast. The engine is very potent and needs to be treated with due respect. Contrary to my thoughts one would appreciate the smooth roll on that you can experience aboard a efzee. She pulls efficiently from speeds as low as 40 to triple digits effortlessly with a low RPM. Many of you would have viewed Nikhil's video which is an apt demonstration. (else do spare some time on his thread). Engine does not heat too much on the highways, but city she throws in all her heat at your legs. Do not prefer to ride her in city, takes away my sheer joy because of traffic/heat/queries. Exhaust note is quite muted but she howls once she above 7K, sheer music should say but my Duc friends say its wailing :(

Ergonomics: Very well set up, have done rides off an average nearing 500 Kms and must admit it has been pure bliss and effortless. Since you do not need to adopt an aggressive seating posture, forearms/wrists do not complain much. Seat could have been done better, probably one thing that i would wanna upgrade to Yamaha Gel Seat to ease my rear . Windblast is pretty high once you enter the boundaries of 15Kays and above. Speeds above 18Kays calls for very strong neck muscles. Another sore point if you happen to travel frequently or an endurance rider going for long distances.

Handling: The bike behaves like a dream, cornering has always been effortless. Lo Speed corners requires me to move my position bit closer to the tank for a better flickability. Opposite goes for the long sweeping hi speed corners. The bike shows her weight during speeds of less than 20Kph. But once she is in her 40's its hard to believe that am actually riding a 220 Kilo bike.

Console & controls: Very well laid layout, easy to read and i have never had to take my eyes off the road to search for the odd button after a couple of rides. Speedometer console is easy read and one glance would give me sufficient updates (I look out for temp if in city and yep the petrol, to make mental notes for next refill). Break lever has adjustable positions which can be mapped to match one's palms,my current setting is on 3. Clucth lever can get a bit tedious if you are riding in city and envy the hydraulic setup on Jayant's Duc. Easy to locate & get the kick stand in place.

Service Update of the bike
Should say the yam service guys are helpful, they might lack the sophistication but they can be trusted with job delivery. Has been a pleasant one so far, promised the bike's delivery on time. First service was done when the bike had done 1026 kms. Oil Filter was in place and did not have to spend time waiting for it. Engine oil was replaced with the Yamalube 15W40, have noticed the engine being even more smoother. Air Filter was taken out and cleaned as it was not soiled enough to warrant a replacement. Total cost came up to around 3000Rs if i remember it right. Getting old these days sigh!!!
Superbikes, which one? Finally bought the Yamaha FZ1-img00231201109231033-large.jpg

Superbikes, which one? Finally bought the Yamaha FZ1-img00224201109231030-large.jpg

Superbikes, which one? Finally bought the Yamaha FZ1-img00230201109231031-large.jpg

Will end my endless ramblings on the bike and post in a few snaps from the ride. However if you have any questions or sections which have been overlooked please do ask and will be more than willing to oblige you.

Superbikes, which one? Finally bought the Yamaha FZ1-318593_10150370313997179_688617178_8143696_2072632546_n.jpgSuperbikes, which one? Finally bought the Yamaha FZ1-326066_10150362716547086_728592085_8038523_843771655_o.jpgSuperbikes, which one? Finally bought the Yamaha FZ1-314574_10150370313862179_688617178_8143694_1493940737_n.jpgSuperbikes, which one? Finally bought the Yamaha FZ1-336557_10150362717332086_728592085_8038525_453105487_o.jpgSuperbikes, which one? Finally bought the Yamaha FZ1-338136_10150362715967086_728592085_8038515_273467255_o.jpg
ku69rd is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed