Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2015, 19:17   #61
BHPian

Re: Want to buy a Harley-Davidson. Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
The strap on the pillion seat is what you are asking about then it helps in holding and pushing around the bike in the absence of grab rails.
Sojo, the strap on the pillion seat can not be used for pulling or pushing the bike in any way. If that strap is used for this purpose, you'll find it coming apart in your hands in a few days. That's the reason you see me always parking my bike in a very convenient position so that it does not require me to do a lot of pushing or pulling around of any kind. God forbid if I ever have to be in such a situation that I need to push or pull the bike, then I solely use the handle bars and sometimes the "sari guard" that's on my Baron.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 19:37   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
then I solely use the handle bars and sometimes the "sari guard" that's on my Baron.
Agree that its not fit enough for using it as the sole yanking point.

However you can use the strap to balance the machine without putting it under too much of stress.

Best is to avoid it completely and use the saree guard or any grab rail.
Old 9th October 2015, 09:56   #63

Re: 2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!

Guys, I'm planning on picking up a 2016 Iron 883, primarily because of the improved suspension and slightly raised ground clearance. The real question is, will it be possible to use it as an everyday bike? I am of course aware of factors like the engine heat, weight, and unwanted attention, but if one were willing to put up with these things, are there any other significant issues I should worry about?
Thanks in advance.
Old 9th October 2015, 11:18   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM-58 View Post
Guys, I'm planning on picking up a 2016 Iron 883, primarily because of the improved suspension and slightly raised ground clearance. The real question is, will it be possible to use it as an everyday bike? I am of course aware of factors like the engine heat, weight, and unwanted attention, but if one were willing to put up with these things, are there any other significant issues I should worry about?
Thanks in advance.
No, If you can live with those, you will manage fine using the 883 everyday. Its a great bike!

If there were more issues than that, they probably wouldnt be selling it and since you are in Chennai, you wont get stopped for noise pollution, ala Bangalore
udainxs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 13:41   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm planning on picking up a 2016 Iron 883
It's a great package now. Go for it. But I doubt if any Harley, for that matter, can be used as a daily run about bike... at least in North India.
Old 10th October 2015, 11:42   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
It's a great package now. Go for it. But I doubt if any Harley, for that matter, can be used as a daily run about bike... at least in North India.
Could you please elaborate, sir? Is it because of the traffic, or the state of the roads? I've tested the Iron thrice so far, the third ride being longer than usual, and I felt I'd be able to manage even in traffic. Is there anything specific that you feel would make it more difficult than it's worth?
Old 10th October 2015, 12:20   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please elaborate, sir? Is it because of the traffic, or the state of the roads? I've tested the Iron thrice so far, the third ride being longer than usual, and I felt I'd be able to manage even in traffic. Is there anything specific that you feel would make it more difficult than it's worth?
Couple of things sir. besides just the heat. These bikes got a heavy clutch - constant clutching/de-clutching in heavy traffic - half clutching (we all do it some time or the other) - and your clutch is Fried! and they cost upwards of 25000 to replace. unless you are starting to work early in the day and finishing late and your commute is just Home-Office-Home.

Else - Street 750 -- Liq cooled that it is. :-)
Old 10th October 2015, 12:40   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please elaborate, sir? I
Harleys are not meant for stop and go traffic, period. Rest Shubz has elaborated the points quite clearly. Besides the heavy clutch, things like the weight and the heat in stop and go traffic are a cause of issue. Harleys are lifestyle bikes, at least in India, and are meant for the open roads and US style highways to enjoy them properly, imho.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 19:27   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Couple of things sir. besides just the heat. These bikes got a heavy clutch - constant clutching/de-clutching in heavy traffic - half clutching (we all do it some time or the other) - and your clutch is Fried! and they cost upwards of 25000 to replace. unless you are starting to work early in the day and finishing late and your commute is just Home-Office-Home.

Else - Street 750 -- Liq cooled that it is. :-)
Sir, I have gone through your threads regarding ownership of the Iron 883 and the Fat Boy, and you clearly seem to be an expert on Harleys. I travel frequently to Pondicherry, around 170 kilometres from Chennai, maybe around two to three times a month. I use the Duke 390 for this purpose, and it is a most able steed. I was supposed to get a car, but after reading your threads, I realised that we only live once, and that's where the idea of spicing things up with the Iron 883 came from. I will be keeping the 390, but I think a Harley has way more character than a generic hatchback or sedan like the i20 or the Fiesta. Thanks for your input.
PS: No offence intended, but after testing the Iron, I couldn't possibly bring myself to seriously consider the Street 750.
Old 10th October 2015, 20:31   #70
Senior - BHPian

Its a no brainer to me if its a harley its the street 750. Take a test ride and it has everything a harley needs to (Aaprt from exorbitant pricing) and can give someof the 300's and 650's a run for their money all the time in all road conditions.

If i want anything other than the 750, i will skip the iron series and move to their real big engines. Street bob is the cheapest big engine from their stable and its worth it. But i am not sure you will ever need that much power, weight and ride for chennai and pondicherry or ever those longer rides.

The 750 is getting rave reviews by users simply because the reliability seems to be fairly good with lovely stories from users completing 10k, 20K in such a short duration.

If i have a 390 and want a cruiser style Harley i would go with 750. Localized and costs the right amount with excess to maintain the bike over a period. My two cents.
VW2010 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 14:34   #71
BHPian

Motor Cycles have always been my 1st love. Atleast, that's what i can recall from my memory. The 1st memory is off Arnie riding his HD Fat-Boy in Terminator and that was the day i had a strange love for the two-wheeled breed.

Since then owned a Pulsar when in MBA and post that bought myself a Thudnerbird, almost a decade back. Loved every moment of my ride on the Thunderbird. Then the ranging bull, that i was in my hey days , was tamed. Got married, have a lovely son who equally loves motor-cycles and during these years my Punto became the mainstay of the family. Clocked over 90k kms in last 5yrs on my Punto, compared against almost 60k on my Thunderbird.

But the itch fails to die. So now once again i have an itch if i should pay the Harley Tax!

So yeah, to cut the long story short, i'm planning to buy a new HD. My personal favorite of the current range is the Dark Custom Street Bob in Denim Black. But my biggest hesitation is a straight jump from a 350cc to a 1600cc monster.

Would love to hear from the Gurus here. What's your opinion? How should my approach be? What are the things i should consider?

Regards
Saurav
Old 24th June 2016, 15:31   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
What's your opinion? How should my approach be? What are the things i should consider?
60k on a Bullet is quite a lot. Congrats. Test Ride, test ride, test ride is my sincere advise. IMHO if you are planning a Harley you should straight away move to the Arnie bike i.e. The Fat Boy. Otherwise I consider the 1200 Custom a vintage chrome bike, if that suits you, and you will also break in more comfortably into the Harley fold. Do read the various ownership threads of Harleys on TeamBhp including my own Superlow one which I have since sold and my current one of the Heritage Softail Classic that is with me currently. They might give you the much needed introspection on the subject. Just don't be in a hurry. JFYI I have currently also got hold of the RE Himalayan which I feel is a true go anywhere bike but without the bling and the bustle of these big brands but just a true free spirited ride.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 24th June 2016 at 15:32.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 15:35   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
  1. But the itch fails to die. So now once again i have an itch if i should pay the Harley Tax!
  2. But my biggest hesitation is a straight jump from a 350cc to a 1600cc monster.
Even at the cost of being shouted down here its a big Ahem ! to point 1, but then its each man un to himself - just my opinion

Point 2. as a rider with over 10 years under your belt on a not so light bike, you would be right at home on a HD "gentle monster".

All the best and Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 24th June 2016 at 15:37.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 16:51   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
60k on a Bullet is quite a lot. Congrats. Test Ride, test ride, test ride is my sincere advise. IMHO if you are planning a Harley you should straight away move to the Arnie bike i.e. The Fat Boy. Otherwise I consider the 1200 Custom a vintage chrome bike, if that suits you, and you will also break in more comfortably into the Harley fold. Do read the various ownership threads of Harleys on TeamBhp including my own Superlow one which I have since sold and my current one of the Heritage Softail Classic that is with me currently. They might give you the much needed introspection on the subject. Just don't be in a hurry. JFYI I have currently also got hold of the RE Himalayan which I feel is a true go anywhere bike but without the bling and the bustle of these big brands but just a true free spirited ride.

Cheers...
Dkaile Sir! I have followed your 883 Superlow thread right from 2013 when you started writing about your experience. And up recently, your review of Himalayan as well. In addition have followed Josepeter & Subz (upgrade to FatBoy) all through. Salutes to you guys, we have tonne load of information available and then the much needed hand-holding!

My dream machine had always been Fat Boy, but yeah vitamin-M deficiency makes me look south of it! I'm actually stuck between the 1200 Custom and the Street Bob. The only factory pushing me away from these two towards the 883 is 'Will i be able to handle the Raw Power the iron heart would be making?' And i guess the only answer would be a Test Ride. So have booked one for tomorrow with the Tusker Harley. Will post my experience by tomorrow night. Keeping my fingers crossed until then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Even at the cost of being shouted down here its a big Ahem ! to point 1, but then its each man un to himself - just my opinion

Point 2. as a rider with over 10 years under your belt on a not so light bike, you would be right at home on a HD "gentle monster".

All the best and Ride Safe

Ram
Ram Sir! Read a quote somewhere which ended with "If you want to be Happy for a life time, buy a Motor Cycle". I have loved every moment of my ownership of the Pulsar (which was stolen in 2008) and then started true love story with my Titli (Thunderbird 2007). Have been all smiles every time i saddled on for long rides or the shorter ones.

But then we are just mortal souls and the itch to take the next step ceases to die. So here i'm looking for a new steed. As said earlier, would be visiting Tusker Harley tomorrow for a test ride.

Until then the discovery goes on!
Thumping Soul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 16:57   #75
BHPian

I would any-day recommend a Street Bob over the iconic FatBoy. Nevertheless both are amazing bikes that you could Enjoy.

It should not be a problem to adapt to the bigger bikes, with the experience you have. You would find the handling better on the Street Bob and there is virtually no limit to the extent of customisation you could do on it. Tusker has couple of Iron's in stock and might try to push that. However there is a league of difference between the Bob and Iron.

Most Viewed