Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2012, 16:55   #1
BANNED

New Ducati 796 Monster Required. Sensible?

Hi Folks,
A friend of mine, who is at Bangalore is interested (and has pockets deep enough) to buy a new Ducati Monster 796. From I gathered on the internet, Ducati has dealers only in Bombay and Delhi.
Has anyone on the forum here purchased a Ducati? Can anyone link me up at a dealer at Bombay/Delhi NCR please? I tried to get in touch with the Ducati, Bombay and the lady was very unclear on the phone.

Looking for co ordinates and inputs.
Old 12th March 2012, 17:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Ducati 796 Monster Required. Sensible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hi Folks,
A friend of mine, who is at Bangalore is interested (and has pockets deep enough) to buy a new Ducati Monster 796. From I gathered on the internet, Ducati has dealers only in Bombay and Delhi.
Has anyone on the forum here purchased a Ducati? Can anyone link me up at a dealer at Bombay/Delhi NCR please? I tried to get in touch with the Ducati, Bombay and the lady was very unclear on the phone.

Dev, Ducati has closed its dealerships in Gurgaon and Bangalore. They now only operate out of Mumbai. Here is a link.

Before your friend proceeds to buy a Ducati, he should take a look at the below threads:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...d-monster.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ownership.html

Go backwards from the last page to the previous pages. Ducati is operating in India through Precision Motors and customers all over the country (incl. Mumbai) are facing nightmares due to lack of spares, exorbitant prices (prices are raised at will), lack of any support, registration woes, cases of cheating are lodged with Ducati India as booking amounts have not been refunded, etc.

My advice is to ask your friend to stay off the Ducati brand for now, no matter how deep his pockets are. Its not worth the hassle. Paying a fat premium and getting treated like a doormat is not something your friend (or anyone) would want.

Last edited by n_aditya : 12th March 2012 at 17:32.
n_aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 22:12   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Ducati Chandigarh is partially open awaiting official opening soon. Have already started selling bikes. Have some inventory with them now. If one NEEDS a Ducati, now would be a good time to get one, while they have stock.

Rohit Gautam
Sr Manager Sales
DUCATI CHANDIGARH

Cheers

Ride Safe
Old 12th March 2012, 22:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ducati is in chandigarh now.
Showroom would be officially open in a few weeks.
they have all ducati range on display.
and we rode almost every possible ducati.
and as experienced,they have customer friendly staff.
Old 13th March 2012, 00:06   #5
BHPian

A good friend of mine works in Ducati Mumbai Showroom
Ping me your details, i will ask him to contact you.!
Old 13th March 2012, 11:06   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
My advice is to ask your friend to stay off the Ducati brand for now, no matter how deep his pockets are. Its not worth the hassle. Paying a fat premium and getting treated like a doormat is not something your friend (or anyone) would want.
Thanks Aditya, that was mighty useful and I will certainly ask him to go through these threads and make a decision only when he is fully informed about it.

I was also thinking, if he does end up buying one, service too, would be an issue since they have shut shop in Bangalore, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post

Rohit Gautam
Sr Manager Sales
DUCATI CHANDIGARH
Thanks gthang, I will give these co ordinates to my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
and we rode almost every possible ducati.
and as experienced,they have customer friendly staff.
Did you ride the 796 that he is interested in? Can you tell us the experience and if you feel it is worth the price quoted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratheekkunder View Post
A good friend of mine works in Ducati Mumbai Showroom
Thanks Pratheek, I will send you a PM with my contact details.

Last edited by n_aditya : 13th March 2012 at 12:30. Reason: quote tag fixed
Old 13th March 2012, 14:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was also thinking, if he does end up buying one, service too, would be an issue since they have shut shop in Bangalore, no?
Service wont be much of an issue since regular maintenance like oil change etc. can be done by himself or at a trustworthy garage who has the know-how on such bikes.

The technician will be required for more important and crucial jobs such as valve adjustments etc. Read as - being at the mercy of ducati since the technician and his crew will have to fly down/travel to blore with the parts and this will attract a nice fat premium.

More importantly the cost of spare parts has gone up 3 times as per owners here which is not justified at all. A brake pedal that costs just 1800 bucks was quoted at 19,000 bucks. And no justification for such increase whatsoever.

I'd rather ask your friend to wait a bit longer and consider the Triumph's.

Last edited by n_aditya : 13th March 2012 at 14:09.
Old 13th March 2012, 15:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you ride the 796 that he is interested in? Can you tell us the experience and if you feel it is worth the price quoted?
Yes i rode the 796.
796 is around 9.3
whether its worth it or not is debatable.
it depends on personal preferences.
i found 795 to be more VFM at 5.99.

What are the requirements?
Old 28th March 2012, 13:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

There are speculations that finally Bangalore would be seeing a dealership of Ducati being opened. Tentative place is Bellary Road shall confirm around the date/month as they are expected to open business post financial new year.
Old 28th March 2012, 19:59   #10
BHPian

Ducati- Clutch lever and Brake lever- 30K?

People buying 8-10L range bikes are not super rich, or from 'write it off' families. They are mostly professionals indulging in a hobby- albeit expensive to many.

However, here is a tit-bit from a conversation with a Ducati-cancelee (?) and Harley Bookie (!!) on Saturday at the 7 Islands showroom.

Two things scared the daylights out of the gentleman-

The test ride on the Ducati.

The spares on the Ducati.

Riders indulging in these bikes take a holistic approach towards ownership costs (more like buying a flat versus a bungalow for OpEx reasons- if you get what I mean) and the numbers to the above two questions puts mroe people off than anything else.

From Ducatis' point of view- they could bring in about 80 of the low-end bikes, and stock 3-5 at every showroom, and be sold in a year. So they are happy.

One skid (god forbid it happen to anyone)- and no engine guard, no crash guard- you will have to spend a fortune on making it roadworthy again.

My request would be to look at this before buying the machine.

KD.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 11:06   #11
BHPian

I have heard of someone involved in a crash on a Diavel. While damage was high, the repair costs quoted itself totalled up to 10 lacs including a clutch lever (which a Splendor would set you back by 100-200 bucks) was quoted at 40,000
Old 29th March 2012, 13:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

As many have pointed out, Ducati now operates only through the Mumbai showroom. I don't know about exorbitant spares (but some of the tales on here...yikes!), but availability might well be an issue. A friend of mine (and a T_BHPian) lost his spare key and has been chasing the dealership for one for a year now. The cost? Some 15k appparently! Seriously, think twice before you buy the 796. Buy it only if you have deep pockets.
Old 29th March 2012, 15:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

[quote=elantracrdi05;2729689clutch lever (which a Splendor would set you back by 100-200 bucks) was quoted at 40,000 [/QUOTE]

Agree the SBK's levers might be a tad expensive, for that amount of money he can buy the state of art levers which are much better than the company. They would not cost more than 200$ on the net instead of buying the original ones.
Guess he might be worried on losing the insurance claim on these levers.
Old 29th March 2012, 16:02   #14
BHPian

Hi Dev,

I second most of the above mentioned views i.e. to wait for some time and also consider the coming triumph. Because missing leg guard, no protection for the engine and to top at all the exorbitantly high spare prices and very long waiting periods for the same are some important points which can not be ignored. In fact these points can be the deal breakers for some customers.

Most Viewed