Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 19:26   #16
BHPian

Re: Harley Davidson SuperLow XL883 L Finally arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Many a Congratulations on your purchase H&A !!
Wishing you many a happy miles with her.
H&A need a small favor from you, could you please provide a comparo on the RE 350 and the Super Low, basically more on the performance, ride and handling part.
Thanks for the wonderful pictures there.
Happy Motoring !!
Many thanks- the insatiable demand has been for 'average' and here we go. A trip around our City on a Sunday morning, 145Km/8.5L. The usual mild traffic except a 3Km long jam- bumper to bumper (meaning I was walking while sitting on the SuperLow) on the Lalbaug to Byculla flyover. Elsewhere, max speed touched 90... Average cruising about 50-70KmpH range. So this can only get better (like I mentioned elsewhere, est 24 on Hwy) or worse (est 14 in daily city traffic.)

Let me describe my Classic 350- first and foremost- majorly reliable compared to the earlier 'point' type 350's. No battery problem, no problem if started after a week of being idle... and no issues whatsoever. I do take care of my bikes, but in this case, the bike is super good to begin with.

Average between 28-35 in city and hwy. So thats an OK as well. The stock suspension is firm enough for city riding, and compared to what the SupeLow has, the Classic is far better set up.

All marks good for city riding. Compared to the scoot capability at the signals, fucntion of the 70hp on the SuperLow, the Classic would lag behind even the illest-maintained Pulsar... the SuperLow would out gun everyone, save the crotch-rocket of the 600cc+ category.... but then no one would be looking at them in anycase - haha. With the about 70Nm torque you could possibly overtake a few helicopters as well- by the way...

For me the music ended with a crash the minute I reach Palm Beach Road... The Bullet at its top speed of 80-85 is a hoot. In todays day and age, nowhere does it say that it cannot go faster. And nowhere does it say you cant ride at 80. I dont want to.

On National Safety Day, I went to my site on the NH4, and it took me forever to get there. Someone else could have enjoyed the ride, not me. Dont get me wrong, I dont want to do 150 on the SuperLow, but where I can keep up with the Volvos or the trucks and Vans- all doing about 90-105, I should do about 105-110?

The thump, the macho, the ego, the Alpha male, all that is fine- and maybe to a large extent true, which is why I have not sold my Classic. But the highways, with me astride- No. I enjoy the ride, the size, the heft and the very good low speed stability- the wife and I ride it all around the complex and suburb where we stay almost every evening, if not every.

Comparo- on one-to-one basis is not a good idea like someone said on this thread, but this is the best I could come up with. More so because on the thread two-three people asked, in my office I am getting hammered about the how-versus-how and then I have to justify my answer when badgered to sell the Classic.

The Classic would be like a WWE or WWF wrestler, while the Harley would be like a Rhino.

Hope this makes some sense.

Thanks again for your comments people.

KD.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 12:31   #17
BHPian

I enquired about increasing GC of superlow in Tusker harley B'lore: According to them it is possible by changing the rear shocks with an 883 roadster shocks and they have done it in some superlow also it seems
cosmopolitan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 22:54   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmopolitan View Post
I enquired about increasing GC of superlow in Tusker harley B'lore: According to them it is possible by changing the rear shocks with an 883 roadster shocks and they have done it in some superlow also it seems
Anand- Thanks for checking on this one for me-

Two things were done, or was it three - today.
1. Softened the rear suspension by shifting the cam on the shock to the middle of 5 positions. a) the bike turned perfect for me, weighing in at about 90Kg. b) as soon as I tried a colleague pillion at office, weighing in at about 70- it started bottoming out on small khuds and getting off speed breakers.

This means that for 2-up riding and reasonable weight/load, the notch would be 4th highest pre-tension load.

2. The Nightster has a 13" shock, which is about the most that goes on to the SuperLow- and that with a longer damper in the front, is supposed to be the best fix.

3. Talking to other owners, the most effective solution seems to be Progressive 13" shocks (rather than H-D shocks), a longer damper tube from H-D AND a Progressive Spring in the front fork.

And AHA!! THE PLACE- to try out where the 100mm GC does not work is the Parsi Panchayat Road which takes you to the Harle Service center in Andheri (West)- those two speed breakers (or sorry apologies for breakers) scrape thh underside and you start to immediately calculate if your bank can clear the payment for the Nightster Shocks- but you say no, lets wait for the real good stuff.

Now to lay my hands on the Progressives.

KD

Last edited by Hammer & Anvil : 30th March 2012 at 22:56. Reason: sticky keys- no money for new keyboard :-(
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:35   #19
BHPian

WOW ! a Harley ! Congrats H&A ! She sure looks killer in that color. I can imagine what riding a Harley would make you feel like ! Ride safe !
sajid33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 18:15   #20
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 4th April 2012 at 15:48.
ba$h is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd April 2012, 20:59   #21
BHPian

new Images Harley Davidson SuperLow XL883 L

One cant get enough of the chrome and the design lines.
last sunday, i got called over by a few friends and we went to see RC Aircraft mated with CCTV Cameras and Video Transponders providing live view into a laptop and also into VR Goggles.. A few of their videos are available on Youtube/aviatorshyd

So the gawking was mutual, me and the video feed off 'Raptor'- them and the shine off 'Budge-The Rhino.'

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-img_6264.jpg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-img_6269.jpg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-img_6271.jpg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-img_6275.jpg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-img_6301.jpg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-img_6302.jpg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-img_6304y.jpg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-img_6306.jpg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-img_6307.jpg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-img_6308.jpg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-img_6317.jpg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-img_6321.jpg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-img_6322.jpg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-img_6323.jpg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-img_6334.jpg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-img_6335.jpg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-img_6336.jpg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-img_6338.jpg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-img_6340.jpg

Headlight flasher missing? or I didnt pay attention to the delivery guys...

The 'low fuel' alarm came on at 168Km- I thought- there it goes--- expcting it to come on at 14-15L on a 17L tank- But it came on at 10.5L over, and 6.5L in 'reserve.' The fuel average saga continues at 17.2KmpL- and I dont think is going to get seriosuly bigger than 20 in the best case... This portion of my story is for those good academicians on the Forum...

Crash guard came on- After a Bullet its strange cos it hides under the tank, you cant see it. After the first few Km I actually peeked over...

I appreciate all your kind wishes very much.

KD.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 20:06   #22
BHPian

A few months of riding and I think its really funny that someone asked to do a review against the RE 500- you well-
1. After getting the rear shocks replaced with the Progressive 412 series- the rear is much better. Softer and compliant.
2. The change of the stock spring in the front Fork with the Progressive Spring- its much better while running at high speeds- like between 100-125.

At lower speeds is when the forks become a complete nuisance. They HIT the edges, and 'thunk' in any drop of level. It is so bloody tiring to ride on bad roads due to this. Literally the word is 'Hammers' when it meets a slight level change- up or down... your wrists and elbows start to hurt...

The plus is, when i had the stock suspension, I could 'hold' the road comfortably between 80-95, with the bike feeling like a wanderer at 100 and then anything above it... However, LIke i said with these changes, i can comfortable do about 125 and that too single. Its quite a jump and I dont think I want to go any faster than that- on this bike.

Fuel average - in city- 17-18KmpL, and Highways 23-24KmpL

We have had a few RE500s ride with us- the difference is the pickup, and then the road handling- and for example on the NH4 between Panvel and Khopoli- the undulating and continuously turning roads, the RE500 will not be able to hang on to a SuperLow, let alone any bigger Harley. For North-Indians it would be comparable to the smooth ever-curving road south of Manali towards Chandigarh along the Beas-Sutlej River areas.

If you ask me, the suspension of my RE Classic 350 is far better than the SuperLow. I said it earlier, and I say it again.

Case in point- I hate to take the Harley out for any ride less than 60-100Km one way. I love to ride the Classic in the City- un hurried, torqued to the gills for its ability- its relaxing and soothing.

For those interested in riding, and who's current budgets may not warrant a H-D, I feel the RE500 is simply a nice, economical option and with speeds upto 125-130, a little spirited riding can ensure you can keep the Sportsters company. But if you have good riders alongside, you will enjoy the ride with them, and NOT feel left out of place- whereas the RE350 is simply inadequate to play with the Harleys- you will be a burden to a group and lag behind everytime the group slows down for the infernal speedbreakers.

A very curious observation- attire: a good helmet- poor/cheap ones you start getting 'visor lifting' and 'helmet lift' from 90KmpH+ which plays havoc with your vision at sustained high speeds, fluttering windcheaters and flapping jackets are such a literally- 'drag.' You have to have a good decent helmet, with a firm fit, click'able visor, and one that will not start to lift at higher speeds. You have to have a reasonably 'heavy material' jacket that almost form fits to your body and allows your body to power thru the wind. If you notice that 99% of riders will not do this. If you have a RE500, and you just make these two changes to your riding gear, you will find a physical comfort and jus more mental ease to ride that bike a wee bit better and even maybe faster while being safer.

To sum up the review- on a Harley you can do about 450-600Km in a daylight run, arrive in good shape and not be beaten physically. 700Km runs are easier on Harleys bigger than mine.

I hope I have answered a few questions, and done justice to the comparo question- to the best i could.

-KD
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 15:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post

Now to lay my hands on the Progressives.
What do you mean by progressive suspension?

How much did you spend for the progressives in your superlow?
Old 13th July 2012, 16:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

slightly OT: what is that plane model? Where can I get it in India?
Old 1st August 2012, 14:55   #25

Hi H&A
Excellent report so far. Gives me a lot of confidence on my Superlow under registration (Delivery in a couple of days)

Did you get a better Ground Clearance after adding the progressives?

The local dealer in Chennai has offer Nightster upgrades for the suspension and promises additional clearance of 1.5 inches.

Did you import the Progressive shocks/spring or is there a dealer in India?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks on all the tips on the riding gear. Did you buy a HD jacket/Helmet?

Have you figured out a good helmet lock? I saw a decent one on the kuryaken site.
Old 10th September 2012, 17:20   #26
BHPian

Quote:
[

6.48 on Road.

Does this include accessories that you got along with the bike? Whats the OTR cost just the bike?
Old 10th September 2012, 19:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Late , but congrats . Good to see you wear a proper full face helmet and not a cooking vessel that most of these riders wear .
Old 25th February 2013, 16:58   #28
BHPian

For all of you who wished me well- we had an almost uneventful 9 months with the bike before upgrading to a Super Glide Custom. We sold the SuperLow for about 6.3L and purchased the Super Glide- which came, just in the week preceding the National HOG Rally, in Goa.
From the 9000Km covered, the bike returned an average consistently between 22 and 24KmpL. It had zero down time related to mechanical or electrical issues. One puncture (rear tire) which held well till we reached home from a ride that was out of Mumbai by about 180 Km.
Effortless riding enabled about 400-450Km in a day- and that would have sufficed my style and stamina.
The 17L tank showed 'reserve' after consuming 10L, and at a range of about 220-240Km.
City Riding showed up an average of 185-210Km. But that would be like silly riding in the city traffic at office hours. The bike never overheated and has never stalled due to that reason either.

Upgrades to the bike were a Screamin' Eagle Air Cleaner, and SE Exhaust Pipes- which simply made the bike visually and aurally fantastic to ride. Anyone who buys this bike JUST has to upgrade these two items- and I dont know if the drop in average was due to me gunning the engine for fun, or if it made me take it to the red-line everytime I got an open road- bad joss for a Harley- but its simply irresistable to gun it to get the sound just right. And you would beg to ride to the ghats just so that you can scrape the foot pegs in 3rd gear with that roar in your ears. And that string of sparks for the following riders to salivate over.

Sometimes your riding style dictates something bigger, something that will scare you... So I finally test-rode a Super Glide and I fell in love with the easy running style of the big bike. The 1584cc bike has so much torque and is mapped so easy that you could boogie away all day in 5th and 6th gear between 60 and 190, I kid you not.

I shall upload a few parting pics to show you the ample love and care shovelled on the bike before it being sold... and another piece of caution- test ride every Harley you want to think of buying- beg borrow pillion.... whatever.

The SuperLow has its charm and almost faultless machine. The 48 has its following, and DO NOT let the small tank scare you, and then the Dynas' have their chrome and glitz--- and the softails and tourings have their Fat Boys and Road Kings to awe the world.

Hang out with a few Harley boys and then observe the bikes, and how they perform on the highways- a Super Glide can pull away from the 48, but the 48 in traffic and in congestion will knock any bike out of contention.

YOu simply have to ride in your imagined theatre of use and buy accordingly- finally but you will find the easy going style and ability to eat miles will be so addictive that you will want a 48 to go to work, and a Road King to go to Amritsar.

_Photos follow.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 17:01   #29
BHPian

The SuperLow a day before it was sold.

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-image_1.jpeg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-image_2.jpeg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-image_3.jpeg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-image_5.jpeg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-image_4.jpeg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-image_6.jpeg

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-image_7.jpeg

-KD
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 22:05   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Upgrades to the bike were a Screamin' Eagle Air Cleaner, and SE Exhaust Pipes...
Apart from the improving upon the looks and the exhaust note of the motorbike,was there a noticeable difference in performance as well?

Did you replace the Screamin' eagle filter for the stock air filter for the purpose of selling of the bike or does the screamin' eagle filter come with a filter cover?

B O V

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks