Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2012, 23:26   #1
BHPian

BMW planning to Launch F650GS - EDIT: Now launched at 9.99L Ex - Showroom

Hope this is not old news!

BMW planning to Launch F650GS soon:

BMW is readying the F650 GS from its ever popular adventure family for launch in India. The name could lead you to think back to the mid-nineties, when another BMW, the big-single engine powered Funduro, launched here courtesy the Hero group. The F650 GS is however a very different animal as compared to the Funduro, that was a bike ahead of its time. Unlike the Funduro’s big-single, Rotax developed engine, the GS’s trellis frame holds a more potent, four-stroke, liquid-cooled, 798cc parallel twin motor that is shared with the 85bhp F800GS. Power for the F650 GS is although capped at a milder 71bhp.

Source: SCOOP! BMW’s affordable GS for India - News - Autocar India

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th April 2012 at 16:58. Reason: added source link
Old 30th March 2012, 23:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW planning to Launch F650GS - EDIT: Now launched at 9.99L Ex - Showroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
Hope this is not old news!

BMW planning to Launch F650GS soon:

BMW is readying the F650 GS from its ever popular adventure family for launch in India. The name could lead you to think back to the mid-nineties, when another BMW, the big-single engine powered Funduro, launched here courtesy the Hero group. The F650 GS is however a very different animal as compared to the Funduro, that was a bike ahead of its time. Unlike the Funduro’s big-single, Rotax developed engine, the GS’s trellis frame holds a more potent, four-stroke, liquid-cooled, 798cc parallel twin motor that is shared with the 85bhp F800GS. Power for the F650 GS is although capped at a milder 71bhp.

Source: SCOOP! BMW’s affordable GS for India - News - Autocar India

@proton, thanks for the information, please post a link to the news.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 10:22   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
@proton, thanks for the information, please post a link to the news.
Sorry! Here you go:

SCOOP! BMW’s affordable GS for India - News - Autocar India Mobile Edition

I have access to the original Funduro (I posted a coupla photos) and its fun, fun, fun! It tends to overheat a bit, so the big 800cc liquid cooled twin will be very welcome. Let's see how they market it...
Old 31st March 2012, 10:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

This was known to me a few months ago as a friend is working with BMW Motard. As per what is told to me the bike would be in the 10 to 11 lakh range. If you compare it with the Triumph Tiger 800 at Rs 8 Lakhs the BMW still feels over priced.
Old 31st March 2012, 11:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
If you compare it with the Triumph Tiger 800 at Rs 8 Lakhs the BMW still feels over priced.
AFAIK, the Tiger is coming for no less than 11L ex-showroom so this isn't going to be very different. Between the two I'd pick the bimmer anyday!

I'm hoping the price stays at or below 10, crossing the 10L barrier makes it feel super expensive (not that it's feels economical otherwise!).
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Suppose this would be the cheapest Beemer to buy. Apart from the famed rotor logo, do not see this as a Value for money package though considering the fact that its a very basic engine with poor figures. And one has to live with the service bills as well post buying which might be a one time affair.
Still believe their F650(funduro) makes more sense compared to this.
And yes looking outside BMW, Triumph Tiger does make a lot of sense, with their hard case panniers and other goodies loaded with it.
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:42   #7
BHPian

doesnt look like a GS-family bike with those cheap alloys and spindly front end :( pricey too
Old 9th April 2012, 14:16   #8
BHPian

Looks a good deal, for that price you are getting a piece of the legendary GS lineage. As for the motor, not bad for our conditions and practically useable! 71bhp is more than enough, 16lts of fuel capacity and sufficient amount of torque. What one will look out for is the after sales and post warranty things.

If BMW are really keen to expand their motorcycle business, they better handle this one as their best. The Triumph bikes are still long way off, this is the perfect bike to explore and its a GS. Beat that!

Point to be noted: Bookings have begun and if not, this beemer is already hot cake.

Last edited by coolmel : 9th April 2012 at 14:17.
Old 9th April 2012, 14:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post

Point to be noted: Bookings have begun and if not, this beemer is already hot cake.
Yeah too hot to handle at 10 -11 lakhs .

The key is price point .Sorry I don't want to give 10 lakhs just for brand or name .800 cc for 6-7 lakhs makes sense and that's what they need to aim for and get it CKD / assemble it here .
Old 9th April 2012, 14:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Yeah too hot to handle at 10 -11 lakhs .

The key is price point .Sorry I don't want to give 10 lakhs just for brand or name .800 cc for 6-7 lakhs makes sense and that's what they need to aim for and get it CKD / assemble it here .
I will reply as two people here, one the moto enthusiast as me and the other, the common man..

Moto enthusiast: Worth a buy for someone who on an average has been living off a 200 odd cc bike for a decade and finally something practical to lay hands on. Only worry factor is after sales and spare costs. Unless they are really serious and start getting the CKDs soon which I presume they will 5 years down the line.

Common man: Overpriced bike( cannot help as thats how the govt milks us!), would rather get a nice hatch and live with it.
Old 9th April 2012, 15:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post

Common man: Overpriced bike( cannot help as thats how the govt milks us!), would rather get a nice hatch and live with it.
No ,if they want to they can price lower .But they don't want to .See the duke 200 easily can cross 4 lakhs outside India ,but we are getting it for 1.2 .Its upto the BMW to reach out and take a share out of the market .See harley ,price starts from 5 lakhs ,See triumph ,they are also getting at around 5 , even ninja 650 at the same price . How do they think will compete ?.Hope they don't repeat what happened 10-15 years ago .I have never seen a BMW bike in blore on road ,except the 1200 GS (custom import) .
Old 9th April 2012, 17:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

So how much is the ex-showroom price of a triple black R1200GS?

This 800 is frankly overpriced. because its not even the proper offroad 800GSM. It should be close to 8 lakhs at max.
Old 9th April 2012, 22:41   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
I have never seen a BMW bike in blore on road ,except the 1200 GS (custom import) .
BMW Motorrad Bangalore has delivered 3 bikes , a GS, an RR, and a K, in the last month to Coimbatore. According to them, they are doing pretty good numbers of 2-3 a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
So how much is the ex-showroom price of a triple black R1200GS?
I think you are looking at ~16.5 L for reg. GS and ~18L for Adv..

I used to be under the impression that BMW are overpricing their bikes here in India, but after witnessing a friend's buying experience and the bike itself, I feel it is worth it. Cant emphasize enough how important buying experience is for such a product. Waiting to share my experience with another European shortly.

When you compare specs on paper, it might not seem like much, but if you see every component, and compare it to other bikes, it starts to make more sense. They cost more because they are better, period.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 23:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Gthang. This might interest you.

BMW have been giving good pricing. Plus the service they give is amazing to say the least. I will be putting a detailed review of the buying experience soon enough. I am very happy with my purchase and the showroom guys as well. Specially the Manager of BMW Motorrad, Deutsche Motoren- Sarabjeet Singh. Gem of a person! And thats the least I can say for him.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW planning to Launch F650GS - EDIT:  Now launched at 9.99L Ex - Showroom-dsc_0556.jpg  

navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 04:53   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Thanks Gthang. This might interest you.
@navpreet318, Congrats!! Excellent decision.

I also heard rumor BMW is giving some discounts and throwing in free insurance, etc.. Looking forward to your thread.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks