Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2012, 13:29   #16
BANNED

Re: Loud Pipes face the Axe

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Sir the RTO has a FB page and what i do is take pictures and post it there. I have also sent a couple of pictures with a letter to the police head office for action to be taken and have had a couple of cops suspended from duty.
If the Citizen finds paying under the table a better option then doing something about the injustice then the country would only suffer and we have no right then to have threads like these to discuss bikers being blammed. We should just advice to keep alot of RS 100 notes when riding and forget about it. I do not encourage under hand dealings and prefer to rectify things to my limitations.
Hey, Good Luck.

Like I said, enforcement is different across the country. If logic works, good luck. Else a Rs.100 is faster. I dont know if there is FB page for my neck of the woods RTO.

I know I am legal and safe on the roads, and making sure I stay safe is my priority. Educating cops is like pissing against the wind. Not my hobby.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
Old 17th April 2012, 13:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
How do cops ,measure the decibels? At idling? Or at certain RPM? My Honda CBX750 ( now sold ) was very quite at idle but open throttle and it would get loud exponentially. Clolse throttle and roll past and it won't even be audible. I'm sure it would be acceptable. Then it goes same for most inline-4s unless one has fitted a loud baffle-less can. Also, most modern inline-4s with stock set-up hardly make any sound.
From what I read in the newspaper (was it Mumbai Mirror or the ToI?) the cops are measuring the sound levels at various RPM levels, so they start from idle and increase the RPM all the way to the permissible limits and test the sound levels at various stages.

I must say the cops are being very methodical in this particular exercise. I would like to see this extended to all the areas where noise pollution is rampant.
Old 17th April 2012, 13:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Hey, Good Luck.

Like I said, enforcement is different across the country. If logic works, good luck. Else a Rs.100 is faster. I dont know if there is FB page for my neck of the woods RTO.

I know I am legal and safe on the roads, and making sure I stay safe is my priority. Educating cops is like pissing against the wind. Not my hobby.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
Ageed, but it is the people who make a difference. If we know our law then we can educate others as well. A saying comes to mind here " Rome was not built in a day". Staying safe is everyones top priority but at the same time if we remain blinded when we see others commiting faults we too are as guilty. I do believe someday the winds will change direction and hence keep pissing against the wind for now.
Old 18th April 2012, 23:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir the RTO has a FB page and what i do is take pictures and post it there. I have also sent a couple of pictures with a letter to the police head office for action to be taken and have had a couple of cops suspended from duty.
If the Citizen finds paying under the table a better option then doing something about the injustice then the country would only suffer and we have no right then to have threads like these to discuss bikers being blammed. We should just advice to keep alot of RS 100 notes when riding and forget about it. I do not encourage under hand dealings and prefer to rectify things to my limitations.
Speedy, you have a point here. Some cops try to play bully but trust me, if you stand up to him, he will back down. After all, it's not like you killed or murdered some one. When even murderers and rapists are caring a hoot for cops then why should a law-abiding driver/rider fear them? Also, a complain to top brass with name and rank of the cop will do him in. This is much feared by cops. Times have changed now. Cops, just like Govt. servants are very vulnerable to complains. Any complain against them is acted upon immediately.
Old 20th April 2012, 18:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Its actually a big nuisance here, i am in mumbai for past few days and my sis who lives here is really angry with these people. There are two small kids in house and yesterday i heard loud bike noise around 3 in the night :o, some 3-4 bike were there. those were incredibly loud. House is on peddar road in mumbai. I heard several cars also driven really fast yesterday night but those were nowhere as loud as the bikes. These guys should really be caught and bikes should be confiscated for few days, then only they will learn.
Old 20th April 2012, 18:20   #21
BHPian

I am a little confused here. How can local cops enforce a new law for something like sound level?

If I am not mistaken, all vehicles (imported or locally made) have to get an approval from ARAI or similar certification authorities for permit to ride/drive in India; and I am sure one of the conditions in the list is the noise level. So, if the vehicle is cleared by a central body, then how can it be fined by local body?
Old 21st April 2012, 14:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
If I am not mistaken, all vehicles (imported or locally made) have to get an approval from ARAI or similar certification authorities for permit to ride/drive in India; and I am sure one of the conditions in the list is the noise level. So, if the vehicle is cleared by a central body, then how can it be fined by local body?
Usually there will be no issue if a bike is in stock condition but cops are looking for bikes which have modified silencer/after market exhaust which creates hell lot of sound.
Old 21st April 2012, 23:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Usually there will be no issue if a bike is in stock condition but cops are looking for bikes which have modified silencer/after market exhaust which creates hell lot of sound.
You can't be too sure what cops look out for. You can buy a full duty paid SBK from Indian showroom, wear helmet and all the gear and ride sedately at 50 kmph with stock exhaust and all papers but can you guarantee that you won't be pulled over by cops? You can't. Because chances are, you may still be pulled over and asked all kinds of stupid questions. And who knows you might as well be challaned. After all, do you know that cops have monthly challan quota which they just have to collect for treasury. And they don't give a damn who they collect it from. All they do is, look for easy victims. And bikers, especially SBKers are easy prey. They do not argue / are generally law-abiding. The day ministers' sons start riding SBKs, things will change. Cops will then start fearing SBKs too. But right now, Ministers' sons generally confine themselves to BMW/Merc/Audi SUVs. That explains why cops are not seen stopping these high-end SUVs.

As for reasons for challaning SBK owners, here is what I heard about an incident in Hyderabad. A guy got pulled over by cops riding a brand new Indian showroom R1. He was challaned. Why? Here is what the cop's charge was, " what kind of fat rear tyre do you have? We cannot allow this. This is highly modified bike not safe for road use. You have to pay fine." Beat that. Needless to say, the R1 was running with 190 mm stock rear tyre which that cop on duty probably never saw before. Now, no amount of argueing helped and the guy just paid fine and rode on. This also speaks volume about Hyderabad police force. The guy reportedly even had user manual which he tried showing to the constable regarding tyre size. But cop would have none of it. After all, he was just a constable and not Inspector with whom you can reason. To avoid getting delayed the guy paid fine. Whether the cop really knew and looked for an excuse to fine the guy, we would never know. So, what next? You may be fined for riding a Harley, "we can't allow such stretched bikes. Pay fine.", A Hayabusa, "we can't allow a bike with 280 kmph on speedo. Not safe. Pay fine". A Goldwing, "we can't allow such a huge bike." So, God help SBK riders in this country.
Old 21st April 2012, 23:06   #24
Team-BHP Support

Don't the authorities who make this absurd rule/s have better things to do?

I hate everytime I see a vehicle coming head-on, in a two-lane highway.

Why not abolish bars & liquor shops near highways which helps in flourishing drink & drive.

Why not make license rules more stringent?

I am sure none of those dalda ka dabba silencer riders are wearing any helmet.

There are much better things to do, indeed.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2012, 03:24   #25
BHPian

Agree with Sheel's POV. Though I ride a bike having a much lesser capacity, I always ride with a helmet, a jacket and gloves and have been stopped numerous times for wearing 'stunting outfit'. Till date, never had to pay a fine, but a lot of questioning is done. What I don't understand is, if you want to target SBK owners, why not target those who are actually breakin the law. Take the case of a few film stars, who ride without a lid at high speeds on nights. Rather than being stopped and fined, these people get a 'salaam' from the police!

Last edited by prateekm : 22nd April 2012 at 03:30.
Old 3rd June 2012, 06:54   #26
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd like the same Police to catch the big industrialist driving his loud, fast Ferrari, Lamborghini or Mercedes AMG.
Your wish has come true.
The F430 (with Scuderia stripes) with the Kreissieg exhausts is very loud as some of you might have heard at the Supercar Rally! I'm not very sure which the other Lamborghini was, probably the LP 550-2.

How to catch a speeding Lamborghini and a Ferrari
Loud Pipes face the Axe-63642635.jpg

MODS: Couldn't find any relevant thread in the Supercars section,hence posting it here.
Old 3rd June 2012, 19:00   #27
BHPian

This is utter nonsense. Mumbai police says that they have tightened the vigil in bandra area. Huhh. Their capabilities are limited and that's the truth. This is the same city where a section of the road is blocked for 'THAT SOMEONE' who wants to test his highly modified car. If sound violation was the case and if these cars were nabbed, then why is it that only the Lamborghini in covers has been snapped? Where did the Ferrari go? Or is it that the Ferrari guy might have pulled more contacts understanding that he has been burning the streets of mumbai with the loud exhaust for quite sometime now.

I wouldn't want to go off-topic, but a lot can be spoken about axing loud pipes. And I am sure each one of you has the same feeling or has spoken about it on the forum.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th July 2012 at 11:44. Reason: Please refrain from using foul-language/slang. Thanks :)
Old 4th June 2012, 12:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikibusa View Post
If sound violation was the case and if these cars were nabbed, then why is it that only the Lamborghini in covers has been snapped? Where did the Ferrari go? Or is it that the Ferrari guy might have pulled more contacts understanding that he has been burning the streets of mumbai with the loud exhaust for quite sometime now.
The Ferrari was parked inside the station and the Lamborghini on the road, hence only the Lamborghini's picture. The Lamborghini was also released before the Ferrari was.
Old 6th June 2012, 16:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
The cops dont follow the rules themselves, ride without helmets, break signals and use the road as it suits them..heck they even ride on the sealink to cut time. The first thing they should be doing is following the law themselves.
OFFTOPIC: I saw this last evening, about 6 pm. There was a bike with a marathi numberplate, the mandatory police sticker, and two kids with no helmets on the sealink, and the traffic cops at the other end jsut let them thru. I was tempted to click a picture but I was alone in the car and didn't want to use my cellphone while driving
Old 7th June 2012, 12:50   #30
Team-BHP Support

Considering loud pipes have 'not for street use' & 'for track use only' tags even in the developed countries, I would half-heartedly take their 'initiative' on a positive note. They most often do not seem to have an issue with the factory fit pipes and a rider without any serious riding gear.
Their 'actions' however leave a lot to be desired. Very often, riders with loud exhaust pipes and complete riding gear are also booked under a more serious offence of rash riding even if the fella is riding at a mere 40 - 50 kmph, moreso when the location is a fancy one like Carter road or Bandstand!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks