Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2018, 06:02   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?

Also - for insurance and theft, a former bike thief did an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles..._operator_ama/

This is a good read, and a good place to get firsthand information about how bike thieves typically work.

One other note, sometimes when I get insurance for my bike, they default it to having theft not covered (sneaky!). I have to go in and edit the coverage to include theft. Make sure you do that when getting a quote. I forget which category it is (I think it is Comprehensive) that covers theft, it explains on the page where you get a quote.

(Admins, sorry for the back-to-back post. No Edit button since these are several hours apart).
rajushank84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 07:41   #77
BHPian

My line of thought regarding Insurance - self insurance or liability only insurance is an option if you can manage the below.
* Own a bike that is not super popular for thefts. GSXR, CBR RR, R1 types. (In San Diego, they end up in Tijuana in under 40 minutes, and get parted out)
* Have a garage to park indoors
* Safe parking spot at work
* Reasonably defensive rider
* Can stash the money you save in a self insurance/emergency fund.

I think, I spend $79 per year on liability. Over the last 20 years, I have saved enough on insurance to pay for 3 new bikes (like the one I have now). If the motorcycle is not your only mode of transport, you do not need comprehensive insurance, as it does not really affect your life. Paying $2K for a bike that is worth $6k (in used bike market) makes little sense to me. On top of this if you only manage to add 2000miles in a year, that is a $ a mile in insurance alone.
Your mileage may vary depending on several factors, but this is certainly something to consider, especially if you are young and have a ticket/points on record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatman510 View Post
Rich Olivers Mystery School down near Fresno is killer! .
Big thumbs up to Mystery school. There are a couple schools in Anza (for people down south)

Anyone planning to go to MotoGP in April? Tickets are on sale now. I am riding to Austin. Consider messaging me if you have plans to go.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 20th January 2018 at 07:49.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 08:05   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
My line of thought regarding Insurance - self insurance or liability only insurance is an option if you can manage the below.
* Own a bike that is not super popular for thefts. GSXR, CBR RR, R1 types. (In San Diego, they end up in Tijuana in under 40 minutes, and get parted out)
* Have a garage to park indoors
* Safe parking spot at work
* Reasonably defensive rider
* Can stash the money you save in a self insurance/emergency fund.

I think, I spend $79 per year on liability. Over the last 20 years, I have saved enough on insurance to pay for 3 new bikes (like the one I have now). If the motorcycle is not your only mode of transport, you do not need comprehensive insurance, as it does not really affect your life. Paying $2K for a bike that is worth $6k (in used bike market) makes little sense to me. On top of this if you only manage to add 2000miles in a year, that is a $ a mile in insurance alone.
Your mileage may vary depending on several factors, but this is certainly something to consider, especially if you are young and have a ticket/points on record.

Big thumbs up to Mystery school. There are a couple schools in Anza (for people down south)

Anyone planning to go to MotoGP in April? Tickets are on sale now. I am riding to Austin. Consider messaging me if you have plans to go.
I definitely agree with this logic.
Personally, I tend to own high-value bikes (closer to $10K in value), and I do tend to ride everyday and park in shady spots because I have to go to shady spots, so I prefer to spend on insurance but yes, that's a solid strategy too!

Mystery school is a bit far for me, Garrahan is like 30 miles away. Thinking I'll give Garrahan a shot first as maybe a first-time experience and then take it from there.
Old 22nd January 2018, 20:02   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think, I spend $79 per year on liability. Over the last 20 years, I have saved enough on insurance to pay for 3 new bikes (like the one I have now). If the motorcycle is not your only mode of transport, you do not need comprehensive insurance, as it does not really affect your life.
I agree to this logic especially an used unit. Comprehensive gives you additional piece of mind on a new machine and also required in most cases by the lien holder if financed.

Quote:
Wow, riding from CA? I am in SA and planning to visit. Had a free paddock pass from Team Ducati last time. Lets see if I am able to pull one. Lets be in touch. BTW, Do you have another handle like Prasade?
Old 23rd January 2018, 02:58   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post

Wow, riding from CA? I am in SA and planning to visit. Had a free paddock pass from Team Ducati last time. Lets see if I am able to pull one. Lets be in touch. BTW, Do you have another handle like Prasade?

Oooh a USA Team BHP ride to Moto GP? That sounds epic.

(FYI not Moto GP but WSBK is happening at Laguna Seca. Can easily get tix for the wknd if interested)
Old 25th January 2018, 01:29   #81
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for the recos. At the moment the way things are i will stick to my semi reliable monster. Will be looking at raised handlebars just to get a better riding posture.

I did a track day at Loudon which is a nascar track and God did it show my skill level. Everyone needs to atleast go for a track day. It will clearly show your rider skill level and the level of risk you are willing to take.

Negatives of a track day is the prep level.
Positives is you appreciate riding and your bike a lot more after.

I did notice that i was not very aggressive on throttle right off a turn and also was hard moving my butt from right to the left. I will do it again!

Anyone rides or rode a supermoto or a motocross bike on the street? I did notice the market picking up for those at the moment.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 02:23   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I used a small agent once and got a company called Safeco.
They're a part of Liberty Mutual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
As far as I can see only Geico provides instant online quotes so I just use that as a tool to see where specific bikes stand compared to each other.
Progressive will give you an instant online quote as well.
Old 25th January 2018, 02:46   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Anyone rides or rode a supermoto or a motocross bike on the street? I did notice the market picking up for those at the moment.
Maddy
A lot of SuMo guys around here (CA), but not as many as sportbike guys. I was thinking hard about something like a DRZ400SM but I'm really ambivalent about it, put off the thought until next year. The thing is, the Duke 390 appeals to me so much more - its almost the same weight (actually lighter than the DRZ if I recollect correctly), more modern tech & electronics, and is probably better on road too. If the Duke didn't exist I would more likely look at a supermoto for my next bike but as things stand, I see a Duke coming..

Last edited by rajushank84 : 25th January 2018 at 02:48.
Old 25th January 2018, 03:35   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
!

Maddy

Ive done commuting miles on a DRZ-400SM, other than the fact its a carb bike, its a great little motorcycle. Another one of my coworkers has a newer DRZSM and rides regularly on it. Wish more upgrades but they have not changed in decades. People are begging to get the SM fuel injected, but Suzuki no response other than new graphics and wheels....

The Husqvarna 701 SM is also another looker...KTM engine, KTM build quailty and great look too. Has a ton more power than the DRZ.
Old 25th January 2018, 21:26   #85
Senior - BHPian

Finally got my Motorcycle endorsement after completing the MSF Basic Riders Course. TBH, I thought it was way too basic. I won't say I didn't have fun though. It has been a year since I rode a motorcycle and it was good to ride again.

We were given CB300Fs all around - there were just six of us, one lady in that. 3 of them hadn't ridden motorcycles at all and the other 2 hadn't ridden in years. Thankfully all of us had driven manual transmission cars before - so the concepts was easy. The RiderCoach - Peter Morton was good and I am glad that he didn't give too much importance to the book but was more interested in teaching us in the ground.

I liked the bike - pretty much same dynamics as the last bike I owned - CBR 250R. Wonderful handling and it was good fun to throw around the bike a bit. Passed the test easily and the Coach used me as the first rider for most of the exercises and the tests as I had ridden before.

There are lots of points that I can say are negatives from my perspective though:

* One of the guys braked (twice) so hard that his bike flew over his head. I am not kidding! He fell and thankfully wasn't hurt.
* Same guy stalled his bike more than 3 times in the test and missed completing the tests correctly but was passed!
* No hammering the point that you need to wear a full face helmet and be ATGATT - I was more disappointed that a full face helmet wasn't made to sound important - maybe it was just the coach.
* Course was just too basic - way too basic for someone who has ridden a bike before but maybe that isn't really a negative as you will see from point below

Positives
* Guys who hadn't ridden at all before were doing quite well at the end of the 2nd day - atleast one of them was doing really well!
* Coach was really good and gave me good feedback all the time
* Good way to get the M license without your own bike
* Insurance and gear discounts if you have the MSF course completion card

All in all, it was a decent course but I would like to try the Advanced Course once I get my own bike. Which I have to start soon - the insurance thingie is kinda worrying me. I don't want to end up taking very low coverage and then suffer later. Already the pathetic healthcare in this country has me really, really worried. And to see how Insurance runs the whole country!

There is a Motorcycle show this Saturday and hope I get some good deals.
naveenroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 23:30   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Finally got my Motorcycle endorsement after completing the MSF Basic Riders Course. TBH, I thought it was way too basic. I won't say I didn't have fun though. It has been a year since I rode a motorcycle and it was good to ride again.
Agree with most of your observations. Yes its a basic course, a few folks in my class too had never ridden even a moped, and they were riding well at the end of the 3 days.

I went for the Intermediate and found it to be the same as the basic course but for 1 day instead of 3 days. You should go directly for the Advanced, but I am not sure if that is again a repeat too. I am planning to do the Advanced later this year.

My coach spent just way too much time talking about ATGATT and full-face helmet. I felt like that's all common sense, whoever's going to squid is going to squid anyway, and talking about that is not what I paid my money and woke up early for . Maybe the coach got similar feedback sometime so didn't spend the time on that.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th January 2018 at 00:34. Reason: Please avoid quoing large posts entirely. Thanks!
rajushank84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 02:47   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Finally got my Motorcycle endorsement after completing the MSF Basic Riders Course.

There are lots of points that I can say are negatives from my perspective though:
There is a Motorcycle show this Saturday and hope I get some good deals.
Congrats and welcome to the club. Your points highlighted is true. With regards to people crashing, its better that happens in a controlled environment than on the street. One advice, never be in a vehicles blindspot!

Motorcycle shows gives you an idea of the bikes available and the riding posture. Do look out for test rides, and if possible have your license ready before that! Everyone has a bike which they love. Some are squids, some love cruisers, some love the ADV type and some just want anything two wheeled!

Good luck testing them. Try go early so you have time to take multiple rides, and no one expects you to buy anything at the end which is great unlike a dealership!

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 11:04   #88
BHPian

This is nice! - Never knew we had a thread going on for buying and using a motorcycle in the US!

Well - I am in southern California and ride regularly to work and at weekends. I also started the same way - MSF, license and then getting a hang of riding here.

Every year we have progressive's international motorcycle show at various cities in November and December, its a fun show to be at if you like motorcycles. At the Long beach one, I was roaming around looking at the bikes and just for fun, tried to locate as many desis I could - I found none :-(. Apparently, not many are interested for various reasons.

Well - hopefully we can have our own T-Bhp Motorcycle meet someday!

Also - I am game for Austin MotoGP too! It would be fun if I get to meet our countrymen there! :-)
sids911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 20:44   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
At the Long beach one, I was roaming around looking at the bikes and just for fun, tried to locate as many desis I could - I found none :-(. Apparently, not many are interested for various reasons.
For various reasons, I do not find our folks in motorcycles. But that is changing. I met 2 folks working for USAA. We ride together once in a while. CA is different from Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Also - I am game for Austin MotoGP too! It would be fun if I get to meet our countrymen there! :-)
I am planning to hang around. Maybe we can plan a meet thread. I met few folks last year at the Ducati Island.

Update from this week: Breakfast ride...American twisties on British engineering with Italian tire sauce
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?-triple.jpg  

mail4ajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 01:15   #90
Senior - BHPian

Finally I can put in an update on this thread!

Put the money down on my motorcycle! Finally! The manual Honda Africa Twin! Got a 2017 model for a wonderful deal because of the finance manager Chuck at the Mountain Motorsports at Buford here in GA. He gave me a great deal on the bike and I can't wait to ride it home in a few days. Have all the gear already so it is just the right time to start riding.

How's your riding season coming along guys?
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks