Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2018, 05:08   #91
BHPian

Re: Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?

Sold the SV, have a Vstrom650 now. Still have the itch for a supermoto (year round CA weather... )
Bhatman510 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 08:18   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatman510 View Post
Sold the SV, have a Vstrom650 now. Still have the itch for a supermoto (year round CA weather... )
KTM 790 Duke? Reviews say it slays the street triples.
Old 11th June 2018, 10:17   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
KTM 790 Duke? Reviews say it slays the street triples.
Cant wait for that bike to show up, but does not release until late 2018....
Old 11th June 2018, 10:27   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
How's your riding season coming along guys?
Rode from San Diego to the Bay Area today. It was a beautiful day to ride. A little extra windy on the mountains, but great temperatures all day.
Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?-ride.jpg

I am returning to SD next Saturday on the coastal route - Hwy 1.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 00:30   #95
Senior - BHPian

Any of you guys used Markel Insurance? I am planning to get their Insurance for the motorcycle - good prices.
Old 15th June 2018, 08:00   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Any of you guys used Markel Insurance? I am planning to get their Insurance for the motorcycle - good prices.
I would get inputs from someone who has filled a claim, and give more weightage to their input. Any company can insure you for great prices and run with your money when you file a claim.
Personally I believe in self insurance, if a total loss would not affect your lifestyle. If you have a car and bike, (& a garage) the odds of crashing or losing both is very less. Just buy liability. This policy has worked out very well for me.
Old 16th June 2018, 01:29   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Ducati Hypermotard? Been eyeing that bike for a while but this visa uncertainty made me tuck my tail and just ride what i have.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 11:00   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Ducati Hypermotard? Been eyeing that bike for a while but this visa uncertainty made me tuck my tail and just ride what i have.

Maddy
Hyper has come up in craigslist postings. Also the 701 Husquvarnas have come up along with the 690 Enduro. Hypermotard pricey but awesome looking.

Sorry about the visa shenanagans. Whole family became American three years ago, wish that the govt didnt go the path it did.
Bhatman510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 22:12   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally I can put in an update on this thread!
Put the money down on my motorcycle! Finally! The manual Honda Africa Twin!
. Excellent choice. Did you consider some of the other brands? What were the main reasons for the choice? Once I have more time for longer rides, love to go ADV. Its a great option for do it all.

Honda has announced some really nice smaller dual sports for 2019. Wonder how they will affect Twin sales.

Quote:
I will stick to the usual suspects unless the service in your town is great. Also check up BBB for some reviews. Will be all nice and rosy until you have a claim.

Anyone here into dirt bikes? I want to get my 12 year old into bikes (looking at 110/125cc) and want something I can play together on.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 18th June 2018 at 22:16.
mail4ajo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 00:12   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Anyone here into dirt bikes? I want to get my 12 year old into bikes (looking at 110/125cc) and want something I can play together on.
There are many dirt bike camps for kids from the age of 6. All they ask of you is money and the waiver This way they will size them up good, and you can see if they like it.
My kids did not like dirt, and their sports coaches were not too enthused. But this was after I rented them, and not in a camp. If you can get them to go to a camp with their friends, things will be different. They will have great learner tracks, and will ease them in to the sport.

If anyone in SoCal is looking for one, there is one in Anza, and then there is Rich Oliver's Mystery school up north.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 19th June 2018 at 00:14.
Old 19th June 2018, 09:20   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post

Check out the KX85 (kawasaki) and YZ85 (Yamaha) solid kid bikes. Also this is pretty decent

https://osetbikes.com/us/bikes/oset-mx-2/

Also being electric is nice in the tracks (Zaca Station is closing down in Santa Barbara county due to "noise")
Old 19th June 2018, 19:31   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check out the KX85 (kawasaki) and YZ85 (Yamaha) solid kid bikes. Also this is pretty decent
Opps no. Those 2 strokes are full kids MX bikes. I did marshaling on a local MX track few times. They are serious machines for the kids who can handle them. I wouldnt get son to try it unless he has basic skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
There are many dirt bike camps for kids from the age of 6. All they ask of you is money and the waiver This way they will size them up good, and you can see if they like it.
Thanks for the idea. will try this.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 19th June 2018 at 19:36.
Old 21st June 2018, 07:54   #103
BHPian

In all the riding I have done, I enjoy Hwy1 the most. The only thing I fear is succumbing to the urge to retire and ride here everyday. (thereby asking my kids to forget college )
Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?-ride2.jpg

We should plan a TBHP motorcycle enthusiast meet somewhere on the Central coast.
Old 21st June 2018, 10:24   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Rode from San Diego to the Bay Area today. It was a beautiful day to ride. A little extra windy on the mountains, but great temperatures all day. I am returning to SD next Saturday on the coastal route - Hwy 1.
That sounds like a fantastic ride coming from someone who has never touched a motorcycle in the US. I always end up exploring the exotic cars (drove the tesla model x a few weeks ago) there and back to being a motorcycle junkie when i'm back home..A true Jekyll and Hyde personality

So you covered the 500 miles in how many hours? Any more pictures to share from this ride?

Also, which bike is that? VFR 800? Can you share a short paragraph about the bike in question with respect to its performance, pros and cons?

Thanks, keep riding and more importantly keep sharing pictures as we all know they share a bigger story than the actual words

Last edited by mobike008 : 21st June 2018 at 10:44.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 21:54   #105
BHPian

Quote:

We should plan a TBHP motorcycle enthusiast meet somewhere on the Central coast.
Count me in after my latest encounter, washed out on the bike...Only damage to the human was a pinky finger fracture (wearing full Aerostich, boots, and Bell MX-9). I consider that fantastic. Next time proper leather gloves, not summer mesh...

Glad CA-1 is back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks