Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2018, 23:02   #106
BHPian

Re: Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatman510 View Post
Count me in after my latest encounter, washed out on the bike...Only damage to the human was a pinky finger fracture (wearing full Aerostich, boots, and Bell MX-9). I consider that fantastic. Next time proper leather gloves, not summer mesh...
Glad CA-1 is back.
Ouch! Glad the damage is minimal and you will be back on the saddle.

CA1 is not yet fully open. The parts that are open are awesome now, as there are literally no cars/vehicles. (compared to usual summer traffic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
So you covered the 500 miles in how many hours? Any more pictures to share from this ride?
Also, which bike is that?
It is a Honda NC700x. It took me 12 hours to get home. I had to take a tiny single lane road. Nacimiento Fergusson road that goes through Fort Hunter Leggitt military reservation. Gnarly road where I averaged under 20mph. Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?-20180616_092747.jpg

I stop a lot, but I do not take too many pictures. Because, I tend to start thinking about who to share the pics with, and what they would say and such. Takes away the joy of the moment.
Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?-20180616_083252.jpg
Is that a Cow-A-Saki??
Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?-20180616_070200.jpg

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 21st June 2018 at 23:03.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 12:34   #107
BHPian

Just came back from 2-day camp at Rich Oliver Mystery school with my coworkers. Holy wow. Just the amount of training (and soreness) to flat track a bike is amazing. Well worth the money. Overall experience was fantastic and your blasting around on Yamaha TTR125s. End up with a 25 lap long race which was epic!

Now I really want a small dirt bike (along with the fleet )
Bhatman510 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 22:43   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatman510 View Post
Just came back from 2-day camp at Rich Oliver Mystery school with my coworkers. Holy wow. Just the amount of training (and soreness) to flat track a bike is amazing. Well worth the money. Overall experience was fantastic and your blasting around on Yamaha TTR125s. End up with a 25 lap long race which was epic!

Now I really want a small dirt bike (along with the fleet )
Lucky man. I have been wanting to do this for months. We have Texas Tornado Boot Camp. Again TTR 125s. Just need to find the time. Pls post some pics if you have any.

I still have a small deposit lying with the local Kawasaki dealer for a KLX140G.
Old 2nd October 2018, 08:39   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Pls post some pics if you have any.
Got some pics and also some video. We were a crew of seven with 5 additional guys. Would be actually pretty awesome to get a TBHP one out there....

Attached Thumbnails
Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?-dsc06300.jpg  

Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?-dsc05995.jpg  

Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?-dsc05896.jpg  

Bhatman510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 02:37   #110
Senior - BHPian

Anyone into light weight ADV bikes like CRF250L or KLX250S?
Old 24th January 2019, 06:59   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone into light weight ADV bikes like CRF250L or KLX250S?
At almost $6K would you not be better off buying a 500cc that can also take you to the trails? What is your motivation to get 250cc that is not a pure dirt bike? You would have to trailer it anyways. Just curious.
Old 24th January 2019, 09:19   #112
Senior - BHPian

Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
At almost $6K would you not be better off buying a 500cc that can also take you to the trails? What is your motivation to get 250cc that is not a pure dirt bike? You would have to trailer it anyways. Just curious.

Partly agree with you. But the 250cc dual sports are easier to learn on. Many 450+cc bikes are essential enduro bikes with mirrors and lights. They require more and frequent maintenance based on running hours. 250s I can change oil once in a year, clean chain and forget it.

In Texas, we do not have a lot of public land, so a dual sport type makes sense. So I can use a hitch carrier to take it closer to the trails and then ride on and off the road. Plus the entry price point of 250s are way more affordable. Seeing lot of used units too. Will not invite attention from my wife. 😁

Last edited by mail4ajo : 24th January 2019 at 09:20.
mail4ajo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 03:39   #113
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone here brought a Himalayan in the US? I am still testing models for that light weight ADV purchase. I am close.

Its between the CRF250L and the Himalayan which has become quite popular in the last year basically doubling RE USA sales figures. Have concerns on quality, but the 2 year unlimited warranty, and $4750 price for the ABS model is enticing.

The newly released KLX230 is adding to the confusion, but the power figures are much lower than the Honda and RE.
Old 19th September 2019, 08:15   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone here brought a Himalayan in the US? I am still testing models for that light weight ADV purchase. I am close.

Its between the CRF250L and the Himalayan which has become quite popular in the last year basically doubling RE USA sales figures. Have concerns on quality, but the 2 year unlimited warranty, and $4750 price for the ABS model is enticing.

The newly released KLX230 is adding to the confusion, but the power figures are much lower than the Honda and RE.
Why not the Versys 300 as a do it all? Am pretty sure you will get discounts offered if you buy closer to winter.

I would go with the new CRF all the way. It just looks mean!

Your other option like the rest of the sub continent is to wait for the new 390 adventure due in a few months.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 10:39   #115
BHPian

Quote:

Since you are now looking at a himalayan for $4800, I would suggest you try out last year's Honda CB500x or other small Jap ADV bikes. For reliability, I would pick a popular Honda model over any other brand. For $6.5k you can get a new 2018 stock of NC750x , or a CB500X for $5.5k. You would get 70mpg, some serious capability to hit the slab, and some decent capability on the trails when you pop a couple knobbies. The last 3 bikes I bought were all Honda, and I have not had to spend a dime on anything that failed. I only do oil changes, lube the chain, and check air. The things that I spend money on are things that wear out. Like tires, chain, sprockets and such. I do not take any of my bikes to the dealer -ever. (other than free recall related work).

I cant really abuse euro bikes like I abuse my Honda. I cant do this to an Enfield either. If you have fallen head over heels on a Himalayan, go ahead - it is important to buy something that you really like. If not, test ride the CB500X, NC700X and NC750X, Vstorm, and Versys.

Here is a comparison of the 2 other bikes you can consider.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...-vs-bmw-g310gs

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 19th September 2019 at 10:49.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 20:25   #116
Senior - BHPian

Update: I brought an used 2019 Himalayan non ABS for $3500. Run about 3.6K miles. USA unlimited mileage warranty active for another 18 months. Have upgraded lithium ion battery and some other bits.

Overall happy as a second bike. Started with budget of 6K. Don't think I would have got another off-road capable ADV bike for this price with lots of cash left for accessories and fuel for the actual adventure.

Quick thoughts - Its ultra basic, low cost build and easy to ride. Anything beyond 60mph is a lot to ask. Very soft suspension and brakes. Need a strong pull to stop. Light and vague clutch. Very torquey compared to the G310 and its all low in the rpms. Heavy, but I dont feel it as it seems to be some where below my knees compared to a Triumph Tiger.

Simple to work with - On day one, I replaced engine oil/filter, replaced air filter, pulled wiring to install USB, fixed a cracked head lamp assembly, adjusted rear preload and cleaned chain all without even looking at a manual.

I looked at the Triumph Tiger, Honda CB500x, CRF250L, XT250 and G310 and few others based on Gutsy's advice. Nothing came close to the cost, easy of use and unintimidating nature of the Himalayan. Insurance add on was about $85.

This is my first ADV and I intend to go off road. There is no question if I will drop my bike or not, its just when and what will break. I rather do it first on $3000 bike than a $10000 one.

Himalayan has several issues and niggles and I jumped in fully aware. But what other moto brand can you email the country president and receive a response immediately? RE USA is really trying hard to establish itself here. But it needs to do more.

Lets see how this turn out. Wish me luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?-img_9021.jpg  

Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?-img_9023.jpg  

Last edited by mail4ajo : 2nd October 2019 at 20:31.
mail4ajo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 00:15   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update: I brought an used 2019 Himalayan non ABS for $3500. Run about 3.6K miles. USA unlimited mileage warranty active for another 18 months. Have upgraded lithium ion battery and some other bits.

Overall happy as a second bike.
For that price, I'd say a great deal. And no worries about taking it wherever you want and trashing the thing. Have fun!

I am finally getting some miles - commuting and it is becoming more fun to ride on these roads. I just wish they'd allow motorcycles to lane filter. I don't want splitting, just give me filtering. I can save so many minutes!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 01:07   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
For that price, I'd say a great deal. And no worries about taking it wherever you want and trashing the thing. Have fun!
Yes, that was the intention. Off road requires a different type of riding. A big, heavy expensive machine will not help especially when you have little to no experience. Last I did something was on a RX100 on badly beaten up rocky plantation trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I just wish they'd allow motorcycles to lane filter. I don't want splitting, just give me filtering. I can save so many minutes!
Are you in a state that allows it? I would do neither over 30mph. People just dont expect motorcycles to be their blind spot.
Old 3rd October 2019, 02:05   #119
BHPian

Quote:
That is literally a new bike you got there. 3.6k miles is nothing on any bike. It looks awesome, and you scored it at an awesome price. That is the beauty of buying bikes in the end of summer. So many people experimenting with the thought of riding and bailing out after one summer. Have fun!
Old 3rd October 2019, 19:19   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you in a state that allows it? I would do neither over 30mph. People just dont expect motorcycles to be their blind spot.
Well, there are only 2 states that I know that allow lane filtering and I am in neither. Filtering should be pretty ok - you just "filter" through to the front of the line when all traffic is stopped at a signal. This allows you at least a headstart and you move ahead of so many vehicles. I am sure it would shave 10 mins off my commute.

Nice that you guys ride the trails. Maybe gotta get a smaller machine and try and ride some. Sheesh. The itch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks