Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2018, 00:48   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post

I am new to this country so I am guessing I will have to pay higher premiums for a motorcycle - both for insurance and the motorcycle loan. Hopefully some of your motorcycle enthusiasts here in the USofA will notice this thread and will be able to help me with my queries on loans, insurance etc, riding routes etc.

Definitely happy to help with whatever I've learned. One thing I did to figure out Insurance before choosing a bike is, get online quotes from Geico for various models of various years.

Even within the same segment, there is huge variance across comparable models. For example a CBR1000RR of the same year costs me twice as much to insure compared to an S1000RR. I guess some of that just comes from theft statistics (CBR and GSXR are the most stolen).

The year makes a huge difference too, so keep that in mind when choosing a bike. Even between a brand new 2018 bike and a brand new 2017 bike of the same model I see a huge difference in the cost to insure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatman510 View Post
I hear you on that one. Used to do CA17 every day now commute to SF on 280 (Clear in morning, splitting in the afternoon).

Hayward,Sunol are my old stomping grounds as a kid...now its way to crowded...

+1 to the MSF course and adv training, highly recommend some dirt riding too since it teaches you more control in sticky situations.

I was actually thinking about doing Garrahan Off-road Training Intro to Dirt.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 01:34   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?

Welcome to the riding world. Please wear atleast basic gear while going out and focus on both defensive and offensive riding styles based on situations. Bought a Monster 696 used for 5k and i cannot get myself to change the same though. It just runs fine and is ideal size and doesnt hurt in the riding position and also i dont have a loan on it which helps.

Insurance is 20 bucks a month for full coverage through statefarm. I am in the new england area so riding season is May - October. Going used is the best way to go but do read up forums on what to check out while inspecting a used motorcycle. No one will give you a test ride!

Expert riders: I always wanted to own a supersport but the riding position is what is keeping me away. I like rides of more than a hour. Any recommendations for a bike which fits that sweet spot?

I almost bought a Triumph Bonneville, but the looks of it made my friends comment on it looking similar to a bullet.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 03:27   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Expert riders: I always wanted to own a supersport but the riding position is what is keeping me away. I like rides of more than a hour. Any recommendations for a bike which fits that sweet spot?
In terms of riding position, and endurance riding, I have come to like my NC700x. I have owned and piled miles on Suzi GS500, Honda CBR F2, and a Honda VFR 800. With some basic mods like handguards, & highway pegs it becomes an awesome ride. Not necessarily ready for off road, but will do fine on light trails. You also get 70 miles to a gallon as a bonus. Here is pic from a recent ride.

I recommend attending a Motorcycle show to get a sense of all that is available in the market, and then look for a good used one.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?-20180114_113513.jpg  

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 19th January 2018 at 03:28.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 04:06   #64
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see this thread. Never noticed this. I just got my second machine last week.

Some stuff I learned along the way:

1. We get on motorcycles early in life unlike native folks. So this comes to us naturally. Many Americans have never experienced motorcycles or will try one. Some see it as childish and very risky. For us in India, its part of our life.

2. The above doesnt mean we take motorcycling for granted here. Take your time, start slow, take the MSF begginers course. In most states you need it to get your motorcycle endoresment. Also helps to get an insurance discount.

3. Traffic is very different from India especially when you are on motrocycle. On a car, only so much can go wrong unless you are driving crazy. Here people do not expect to see a motorcycle often, so intersections can be dangerous.

Get the best riding gear you can afford. Dont cheap out. Road rash can be expensive to treat. My basic gear is a helmet, moto jacket with back/chest protector, knee protectors under, riding jeans, riding boots and gloves.

4. Lane spiliting is illegal in most states. I know CA allows it again with conditions. Also this allows you to keep to your lane. Bikes are considered as cars, so dont expect to see another vehicle beside you in the same lane.

5. Be visible - I like to wear bright colors when riding. Make eye contact with other road users especially at non controlled intersections. I read somewhere the biggest excuse of drivers involved in accident with bikes is that they didnt see the rider. Not a great fan, but I rev up a little to communicate my presence at interesections.

6. Halt to one side when stopping at lights. Seen cases of drivers letting go of brakes and rear ending bikes. Keep distance from big trucks

7. Insurance - Big limiting factor for getting motorcycles. Sports bikes are charged high. I paid $35/month for the 2011 Yamaha FZ6R from Foremost. Now I pay $43/month for a new Street Triple via Geico. I always pay for 12 months in advance to get the best discount.
Decline medical payments if you have a good medical insurance from your company. Accept road side assistance. Plan to get comprehensive. If you have a garage/disc lock, GPS tracker, you save.

Take your time and get multiple quotes. MSF course, your education background, job title all helps. Insurance company algorithms are preset based on accident history, type of bike, CC and others. Some bikes are black-marked, for example GSRs are higher than GXS-S. Power ratings are very close though.

Bike choice - This is the best auto market in the world. Doesnt mean you must go all out. Start with a 600cc if you dont too much exp with big bikes. Shop used. I got mine for less, less than 3K mileage. Avoid 300cc if you have exp in India. They will too slow for freeway speeds. Makes great for commuting or a great track tool.

Buying - Winter is great time to buy bikes, in most states, the season is over. I am happy to be riding all year in Texas. Smaller dealers are better to work with compared to large dept store type. Avoid craigslist unless you can check the condition. You will be surprised how much you can negotiate.

Honestly, some dealerships do not take our people seriously. They havent come across many Indian riders. So go prepared with research. If you convince them of your intentions, they will spend time and get you a good deal.

Offroad-
mail4ajo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 05:41   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I almost bought a Triumph Bonneville, but the looks of it made my friends comment on it looking similar to a bullet.

Maddy
The Bonnie and Bullet both have classic British looks which is their prime attraction! I can see how some people don't understand this appeal comment not-so-positively about these bikes, but there's going to be a hater against every type. I say, if you like it go for it! I love the Bonnie personally.

About supersports - you asked for an expert, I am not one, but in my experience the ZX6R is the least committed riding position. Daytona and R6 are the most extreme. But my two cents, these bikes are built with one purpose: going around a track quickly. Not comfort, not street needs. I say if you like it still go for it, but it is going to be painful even with the correct riding position. Its like.. in theory you can play tennis with a cricket ball, but do you want to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
In terms of riding position, and endurance riding, I have come to like my NC700x. I have owned and piled miles on Suzi GS500, Honda CBR F2, and a Honda VFR 800. With some basic mods like handguards, & highway pegs it becomes an awesome ride. Not necessarily ready for off road, but will do fine on light trails. You also get 70 miles to a gallon as a bonus. Here is pic from a recent ride.

I recommend attending a Motorcycle show to get a sense of all that is available in the market, and then look for a good used one.
That NC700 is the perfect commute bike! I have a very similar one (F700GS).

Last edited by rajushank84 : 19th January 2018 at 05:43.
rajushank84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 06:52   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
About supersports - you asked for an expert, I am not one,.... Its like.. in theory you can play tennis with a cricket ball, but do you want to?
Love the analogy. You have a fan in me

That's right, there are those who have a lot of fun playing tennis ball cricket, and there are those who feel differently about it. The analogy fits perfectly here.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 08:10   #67
Senior - BHPian

Oh, tennis ball cricket is great! I meant tennis with a cricket ball . That sounds painful.

A few of my friends do track days so they have supersports. I personally haven't got around to it yet. Every time I go: leathers? U-haul truck? Wheel chock, tie downs, ramp?Remove my mirrors? Tape my headlamps? Flush my coolant and fill distilled water? Wait, wasn't this supposed to be fun, all that sounds like work! So I'll just ride in the hills instead.
rajushank84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 09:50   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Nice to see this thread. Never noticed this. I just got my second machine last week.

Some stuff I learned along the way:

Couple of other points based on my experience:

In Texas or Dallas, at least, motorcycle riders can use the HOV lane which is really a good advantage.

One other consideration to keep in mind when selecting a motorcycle is that if you ride on expressways, make sure the bike has enough oomph to keep up to the speeds of 60-70mph and should be stable and comfortable when cruising at those speeds, and at the same time, it should have enough muscle power to slow down quickly from those speeds.

Be watchful when the big rigs pass by or you are passing them. The wind blast can be very disconcerting till you get used to it. It will either push you or suck you based on the position you are in. I was caught in-between two big rigs passing on either side, and let me say it was not at all a good feeling.

Riding in US in general would be as per rules, always expect the expected to happen - for ex. If there is a stop sign, everyone expects you to stop. If you are on an expressway, you should be maintaining the speeds, etc.
Riding in India is not necessarily according to rules, one should always expect the unexpected.

If you ride consciously to always expect the unexpected and still behave in the expected way, you should be good. I tried to follow this, and it has held me in good stead. And ride defensively, especially in cities.

HTH

Here is a pic of my ride - Kawasaki Vulcan 900 which I bought from a old gentleman from a church riding group. I did not own a car. This was my daily and only ride for more than year, clocked more than 10k miles through all the seasons. My longest ride was from Dallas, TX to Mena,AR through the Talimena scenic drive (10hours - ~500miles) in the fall through the country roads of TX, OK and AR
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?-dsc_0665_small.jpg  

guunbuu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 11:20   #69
Senior - BHPian

^ Solid advice there. +1'd.

Just a few of my guilty pleasures over time. I am sure this is missing a few.

Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?-bikes.jpg
rajushank84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 12:27   #70
BHPian

Quote:
I was actually thinking about doing Garrahan Off-road Training Intro to Dirt.
Rich Olivers Mystery School down near Fresno is killer! Bunch of my coworkers took the course and I really really want to do this (along with the 100+ other rides I want to do in the world and USA)

https://www.richoliver.net/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post

4. Lane spiliting is illegal in most states. I know CA allows it again with conditions. Also this allows you to keep to your lane. Bikes are considered as cars, so dont expect to see another vehicle beside you in the same lane.
The CA conditions are well....weird. Interestingly enough in CA most cars in traffic do give the three feet of space or more to let bikers split. CHP doesnt really dictate the rules, though the Law indicates they do..usually most CHPs and LEOs dont really mind bikers as long as were not hoonigans. Unfortunately most people from India working here and in there cars, dont realize the bikes.
Bhatman510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 19:40   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Every time I go: leathers? U-haul truck? Wheel chock, tie downs, ramp?Remove my mirrors? Tape my headlamps? Flush my coolant and fill distilled water? Wait, wasn't this supposed to be fun, all that sounds like work! So I'll just ride in the hills instead.
Yes, its a pain. That why a dedicated track bike makes sense. You can get cheap Ninja 300/R3 that makes a great track bike. Dont have to bother about insurance. I saw a few for 2-3K.

Has anyone tried offroad? I have my eyes on either a Kawasaki KLX140G or Beta Xtrainer. Want to get son into offroad. So basically something to chase him around. Offroad skills help you to be a better road rider

Last edited by mail4ajo : 19th January 2018 at 19:50.
Old 19th January 2018, 19:49   #72
BHPian

Quote:

Maddy
Forget about what your friends say and listen to what your heart says. If the Bonneville is what appeals to you, get it and be set. Once you own it, the itch will be scratched, and you'll get to know the merits and faults over time, which will help you decide your next bike (if any).

As for supersports, it depends a lot on your physical fitness and mental will power. You may have heard of Nick Sanders, he rode an R1 over the world (clocking 20000+ km) - and R1s are among the most extreme in ergonomics (lot of moto journalists coined the sportbike ergonomics as torture racks).

In my case, as long ambient weather isn't very hot and the speeds are high enough (that's pretty much highway speeds, more to the 100km/h zone of the wide e-ways than 80km/h that's the limit on smaller/narrower highways, I can ride long distance without complaints - on a 500km each way trip, I was might exhausted reaching Goa because locating our resort through narrow inner roads at low speeds in 2 PM hot sun , was excruciating. On the way back, I didn't have the same issue - leaving Goa early morning it was cool, no traffic so the slow stuff was done in cooler temperature and thereon speed was high enough, also had a more breaks to regroup in between. Reaching Pune, I was quite peachy on the way back.

Why is speed important? Enough speed and the wind-pressure relieves the pressure on wrist and shoulder and the throttle-open loads the rear suspension, relieving some pressure on the front end, which you otherwise have to do with your core muscles, which again leads to those muscles tiring out ( I do this time to time, when I have to ride in city traffic, but it's not really comfortable that way).

Now, how adaptable you are to that kind of ergonomics, you can only tell by trying out sportbikes for longer duration. Is your interest in supersport due to the styling (i.e, full fairings) only? If yes, look up sport-tourers like the Honda VFR , or the milder sportbikes that are more touring friendly like the Suzuki GSX-S1000F , Kawasaki Z1000SX. They give you pretty good equipment (adjustable USD forks and rear suspension, radial brake callipers , traction control, ABS, even cornering ABS on the Kawasaki) without the ears-between-knees feeling ergos. If on a budget, see the Honda CBR650F and Ninja 650, or the now discontinued Yamaha FZ6S (full faired 600), CBR600F4i.

Last edited by Ricci : 19th January 2018 at 19:53.
Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 23:54   #73
Senior - BHPian

Wow, am I so glad to see so many motorcycle enthusiasts on the forum here in the US! I wanted to multi-quote your replies but got busy yesterday and if I do it now, the mods will frown cause there are so many replies. Good to see so many of you here and yes, hopefully I will be able to start riding soon.

Those of you in CA are lucky with the legal lane-splitting. Such a necessary thing when riding motorcycles! More safe for bikers too. The only thing what worries me about riding here are the distracted drivers! I see so many of them texting, talking and fiddling with their mobiles when driving. And they are conditioned not to see a motorcycle on the road. Yes, the best we can do is to wear the most conspicous riding gear that we can! I've always been an ATGATT guy even back in India - so no worries on that part. But glad you guys insist on that. Safe riding always.

Thanks for the tips on insurance rajushank84 - I will check on the online quotes. Are there any differences in the service provided by any of the insurances? I mean, are there any obviously bad ones I should avoid? I also see that you have owned a Versys - how was it on the open highways? Pros and cons?

Yeah I am looking at used - Kawa Versys 650, The VStrom or the NC700X. Love the Honda but I am leaning more towards the Versys. I love the Bonneville too - it has been one of my dream bikes but maybe for a later date There is a motorcycle show on the 27th and I plan to make a visit - maybe get a good deal there.

mail4ajo - many thanks for the wonderful tips. Yes, I am trying to land a deal in the winter itself. But I also see you have mentioned $43 for insurance! Wow, when I check online, I am getting deals for around $140 - am I being too cautious with the options? It is Geico.

Oh yeah guunbuu - motorcycles are allowed the use of the HOV lane in GA too. Yeah, need to experience the wind blast from those huge trucks to know it. Hopefully will get used to it.

Hope to do a ride to Alaska sometime - one of my dream rides! Are any of you on ADVrider forum?
Old 20th January 2018, 02:22   #74
Senior - BHPian

free to PM me. We can connect on phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Are there any differences in the service provided by any of the insurances? I mean, are there any obviously bad ones I should avoid?

Yeah I am looking at used - Kawa Versys 650, The VStrom or the NC700X. Love the Honda but I am leaning more towards the Versys.

mail4ajo - many thanks for the wonderful tips. Yes, I am trying to land a deal in the winter itself. But I also see you have mentioned $43 for insurance! Wow, when I check online, I am getting deals for around $140 - am I being too cautious with the options? It is Geico.
Stick with the top companies like Progressive, Geico, Foremost, All State, Nationwide and you should be good. Read up insurance reviews for detailed feedback.

Do try the Yamaha FJ also. You can get good deals. I tried this unit and it was a blast to ride, not as capable as Versys: https://cycleridersatx.com/Motorcycl...3-a82c01337440

It is based on driving history, profile, age and main factors. For an used Versys, $140/month is just too high. I used a small agent once and got a company called Safeco. They specialize in bikes. If you add more policies you get discount. For example, I use AAA for cars and apartment rental insurance. I pay $1600 for 2 cars and apartment insurance. Will be lower with tenure. If you add a spouse (no need to add as rider), even more discount, shows you are married/committed and will take lesser risk.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th January 2018 at 02:21. Reason: Please avoid replies within Quotes. Post fixed. Thank you!
mail4ajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 03:50   #75
Senior - BHPian

@naveenroy The Versys is a beast, I had the 1000 not the 650. It felt REALLY stable on the open highway. The only downside is the engine felt a little boring or car-like, maybe its because it was my first inline-4 engine on a bike. I started missing the twin / triple engines. But that's not why I sold it, I just sold it because I got an offer that equaled what I paid for it (I do that a lot, because thats an opportunity to experience another bike basically for free), but I think would've kept it if it was a 650 and not a 1000. Now I have an F700GS (another bike in the same segment). I have come to appreciate the nimbleness of smaller bikes over the excessive horsepower of liter bikes.

I think all the bikes in this segment (650cc adventure-style bikes) are pretty comparable with each other, but what really excels in my opinion is the Tiger 800, followed by the BMWs (F700/F800). I suggest you test-ride the Tiger before picking anything else from this segment. For my next bike, I will have an eye on that (the new upcoming one), the Duke 790 and the Hyperstrada.

Reg insurance, I haven't really explored other providers (I use Geico) but I hear StateFarm is good for motorcycles. As far as I can see only Geico provides instant online quotes so I just use that as a tool to see where specific bikes stand compared to each other. Overall Japanese bikes tend to get stolen more (at least around here), followed by Harleys and Triumphs. Just because of that, other bikes (KTMs, BMWs, Aprilias etc) have really low insurance. It appears the theft stats for a model are a major factor in deciding insurance. But even within Japanese models there is huge variance from bike to bike.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 20th January 2018 at 03:52.
rajushank84 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks