Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2012, 14:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: *Strong Rumour* : KTM Duke 690 around Diwali

After seeing both the KTM 690 and Triumph Street Triple in videos, I think one can safely say that the KTM cannot match the sheer performance and looks of the Street Triple. IMHO, the Street Triple looks absolutely stunning

However, if you bring the prices into equation, the tide is suddenly turned. The KTM is expected to offer almost similar levels of performance/handling (as a Ducati Monster or Triumph Street Triple), at a much affordable price. To me, it has always been a case of <<what car/bike@what price>>. So, for e.g, saying that bike A is better than better than bike B, but at a much higher price point is simple a non sense comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Something tells me this will be here a lot earlier than the Triumphs. I would love to lay my hands on this one if the price is right. That would make my ninja a dedicated track tool while this will be reserved for touring and some rare commutes.
Interesting thoughts. You say above that you may decide to dedicate the N250 for 'track purposes' and actually buy a KTM 690 for street purposes. But, do you actually do any track racing? Its like actually buying an SUV for off roading, wherein most of us don't really do any off-roading. Its just that we like tough vehicles. Wasn't that the same case with you. You just liked a 'fully faired' sportsbike and got one. Was it bought for any track purposes?

Don't take the comment otherwise: there are folks who do track racing and off-roading. Just that most most of us only like to think so.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd August 2012 at 01:00. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post allowed, pelase read the board rules carefully before proceeding further, thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 15:43   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile

Interesting thoughts. You say above that you may decide to dedicate the N250 for 'track purposes' and actually buy a KTM 690 for street purposes. But, do you actually do any track racing? Its like actually buying an SUV for off roading, wherein most of us don't really do any off-roading. Its just that we like tough vehicles. Wasn't that the same case with you. You just liked a 'fully faired' sportsbike and got one. Was it bought for any track purposes?

Don't take the comment otherwise: there are folks who do track racing and off-roading. Just that most most of us only like to think so.
I think more than intention, its a question of opportunity. With just one race track (don't count BIC) available for us mortals in the country, it is only hope that fuels us. Alot of us get our kicks from the ghat roads n deserted highway stretches (illegal but true). Alot of us buy track focussed bikes not because of poser value alone but also in the hope that someday when the opportunity presents itself we shall have our arsenal ready.

The Ninja though a track bike is a competent street tool too albeit with flaws. And there is absolutely nothing wrong in buying a fully faired track bike for urban use if one is short of better options. I for one wouldn't buy a brilliant bike if it looked like crap. Shallow? Maybe :-)
Old 19th August 2012, 16:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
The Ninja though a track bike is a competent street tool too albeit with flaws. And there is absolutely nothing wrong in buying a fully faired track bike for urban use if one is short of better options. I for one wouldn't buy a brilliant bike if it looked like crap. Shallow? Maybe :-)
Shallow? Not at all. After all, when you are buying a relatively expensive automobile for 'fun' purpose, its all materialistic. Right? When buying materialistic things, you should be shallow

You shouldn't be shallow in 'real life' is a more philosophical debate. And I conform to it. But, materialistic stuff--> the shallower, the better
Old 20th August 2012, 11:42   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
After seeing both the KTM 690 and Triumph Street Triple in videos, I think one can safely say that the KTM cannot match the sheer performance and looks of the Street Triple. IMHO, the Street Triple looks absolutely stunning

However, if you bring the prices into equation, the tide is suddenly turned. The KTM is expected to offer almost similar levels of performance/handling (as a Ducati Monster or Triumph Street Triple), at a much affordable price. To me, it has always been a case of <<what car/bike@what price>>. So, for e.g, saying that bike A is better than better than bike B, but at a much higher price point is simple a non sense comment.
How can you compare the Triple to the 690 Abhi?

They are two completely different bikes in completely different categories.

Besides the fact that while one is the pinnacle of what a big thumper should be, the other is a screaming triple that many say combines the best of a V-twin and an inline four (though it doesn't do either as well).

Not to mention the more than 30 ponies and a few lacs of hard cash that will eventually separate the two for us in India.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 13:21   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
How can you compare the Triple to the 690 Abhi?

They are two completely different bikes in completely different categories.

Besides the fact that while one is the pinnacle of what a big thumper should be, the other is a screaming triple that many say combines the best of a V-twin and an inline four (though it doesn't do either as well).

Not to mention the more than 30 ponies and a few lacs of hard cash that will eventually separate the two for us in India.
But even though they don't necessarily compete with each other, I've seen many folks on the i'nal forums pick one over the other, and vice versa.

I know what your'e saying: But they both seem similarly priced in the international markets:

KTM : KTM 690 Duke - Highlights

Triumph: Specifications | Triumph Motorcycles

I think I'm off somewhere, but don't know where Please educate the novices here!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 20th August 2012 at 13:23.
Old 20th August 2012, 15:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But even though they don't necessarily compete with each other, I've seen many folks on the i'nal forums pick one over the other, and vice versa.

I know what your'e saying: But they both seem similarly priced in the international markets:

KTM : KTM 690 Duke - Highlights

Triumph: Specifications | Triumph Motorcycles

I think I'm off somewhere, but don't know where Please educate the novices here!
Bro, going by international pricing as a biker here in India to compare bikes isn't necessarily the best way to go about narrowing your choices down.

I've mentioned it before - abroad and all over the world, the KTMs are VERY pricey. Probably in the same grade as Beemers and Ducatis. Even for the guys abroad, especially when compared to Jap bikes.

For example, the Duke 200 is significantly more expensive than the N250r abroad. Yet there is no real doubt which is out and out the superior machine.

Don't get me wrong. The Duke 690 wil be right up there in fit and finish with the street triple. In fact, may probably trump it in the fancy expensive bits like brakes and suspension. It will also be lighter and more versatile, especially when things get rough.

But you cannot argue against 72 and 105 bhp, or just a shade over 200 kph versus 230 kmph, as well as a very impressive 25+ kmpl versus equally a SBKish 14-16 kmp.

They are just very different bikes man. Not to mention that one is less than 2 months away, and the other is only revving online for now, and things dont look very bright for the next year as well.

Can you direct me to links where the two have been compared - would love to read how they stack up.

Most times the Street Triple is pitted against the pricier Ducati Monster 696.

Others sometimes compared are the Yamaha FZ6r, the BMW F800R, and even the Ninja 650R/Versys.

Read this under the "women's" street bike shootout:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/8/1363...-Shootout.aspx

Last edited by ebonho : 20th August 2012 at 16:18.
Old 21st August 2012, 11:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bro, going by international pricing as a biker here in India to compare bikes isn't necessarily the best way to go about narrowing your choices down.

I've mentioned it before - abroad and all over the world, the KTMs are VERY pricey. Probably in the same grade as Beemers and Ducatis. Even for the guys abroad, especially when compared to Jap bikes.

For example, the Duke 200 is significantly more expensive than the N250r abroad. Yet there is no real doubt which is out and out the superior machine.
+1 Doc. Going by the logic the ninja 250R should have been cheaper in India, somewhere around 2L odd if comparisons and conversions were to be made.

Quote:
Well how can you say the above with so much conviction? That i bought my bike for looks alone?

I've taken the bike to track twice and will be going again next month.... Not to race, to better my skills through a track school. Racing is not everything and there's no rule that says only if you're gonna race you're allowed on track.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 11:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
+1 Doc. Going by the logic the ninja 250R should have been cheaper in India, somewhere around 2L odd if comparisons and conversions were to be made.
Basically Bajaj softened the blow of the overpriced N250r with the underpriced K200.

The fact that they have been selling the former for over 3 years now and do not seem perturbed by the numbers simply means that neither Bajaj nor Kawasaki see any reason to shift strategy.
Old 21st August 2012, 12:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

To return back to biking, I need a bike which pull my heartstrings the way my original Pulsar 180 did. It was raw, fast, noisy, decently economical and really fun to ride. Thats the kind of bike which will make me buy a new one today, to ride on our roads against the a/c comforts of a long legged suv.

I dont want a 150kmph cruise on a naked bike. Not interested in realigning my head/spine against the wind, hearing windroar inside my helmet. A bike which can go atleast 3-350km per tankful, can cruise at a decent 100-120kmph without a skip and munch miles is the ticket. Yes also a decent enough pillion seat which can be converted to carry weekend luggage, ability to add panniers and a bungee net. So that rules out faired sportsbike. Not interested in the akward leg forward seating of a cruiser. So only option is a streetbike/naked dirt bike

Any options from the current or expected lot I must look for? Oh and a budget upto 7lacs. And I am 6feet tall so I dont want a tiny hypersports machine which would make me look like a circus bear on a cycle
Old 21st August 2012, 13:00   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
To return back to biking, I need a bike which pull my heartstrings the way my original Pulsar 180 did. It was raw, fast, noisy, decently economical and really fun to ride. Thats the kind of bike which will make me buy a new one today, to ride on our roads against the a/c comforts of a long legged suv.

I dont want a 150kmph cruise on a naked bike. Not interested in realigning my head/spine against the wind, hearing windroar inside my helmet. A bike which can go atleast 3-350km per tankful, can cruise at a decent 100-120kmph without a skip and munch miles is the ticket. Yes also a decent enough pillion seat which can be converted to carry weekend luggage, ability to add panniers and a bungee net. So that rules out faired sportsbike. Not interested in the akward leg forward seating of a cruiser. So only option is a streetbike/naked dirt bike

Any options from the current or expected lot I must look for? Oh and a budget upto 7lacs. And I am 6feet tall so I dont want a tiny hypersports machine which would make me look like a circus bear on a cycle
If you are hell bent on a naked bike right now your only option is the GT650N by hyosung. But if I were you I'd buy the Ninja 650 only bcoz of Bajaj's after sales service. Hyosung's service is questionable besides only God knows how long they'll stay afloat before it goes up for sale or worse if they shut down operations altogether.

If you are not in a hurry then the duke 690 or the street triple can be viable options too. Happy Biking
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 21:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratheekkunder View Post
KTM690 is not going to come to Indian Shores till 2014 start.
BAL is first going to launch the KTM 350 next year start and then Pulsar 350 mid next year. We will see KTM 350 bikes testing around aamby valley and near chakan plant this diwali. KTM 350 is going to be one value for money bike as per my source.
Also, 2 KTM 990's are sitting on Bajaj's test bike warehouse and these two bike will be spotted testing in coming weeks. !
The above seems to be true. Its the 390 that's going to be here first.

Though the 690 may make it next year.

This is a new googly for me ..... just when I had started daydreaming.
Old 22nd August 2012, 22:29   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Where did you get an info about no launch of 690 this diwali?
I was seriously considering it as more VFM compared to N650. All of a sudden my dreams are shattered
Old 23rd August 2012, 00:04   #43
Senior - BHPian

Wow , we got rumors inside a rumor thread !

Quote:

BTW I got totally opposite info . 690 is already in production else where and that is what will be CKDs and sold here .

350 is in R and D stage and needs some time to cook well .
So 690 will be first . It might be ,would not be ,will not be depending on prevailing market conditions .

Last edited by black12rr : 23rd August 2012 at 00:06.
black12rr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 00:29   #44
BHPian

Update:

1:Next immediate bike to be launched by BAL is KTM350
2:After KTM 350, KTM990 will be launched in India.
3:Also,as per my source, BAL will be having one bike in 6 Lac category.So it can be KTM 690.
Old 23rd August 2012, 00:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

something to think about .both the duke 125 and 200 is available in singapore also ! .

*Strong Rumour* : KTM Duke 690 around Diwali-539454_10151102964091462_581745188_n.jpg

Last edited by black12rr : 23rd August 2012 at 00:40.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks