Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:17   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: *Strong Rumour* : KTM Duke 690 around Diwali

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Where did you get an info about no launch of 690 this diwali?
I was seriously considering it as more VFM compared to N650. All of a sudden my dreams are shattered
This was not a dealer source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Wow , we got rumors inside a rumor thread !

BTW I got totally opposite info . 690 is already in production else where and that is what will be CKDs and sold here .

350 is in R and D stage and needs some time to cook well .
So 690 will be first . It might be ,would not be ,will not be depending on prevailing market conditions .
The Austrian 690 from what I hear may not be pushed here as a stop gap. The final aim is to have a much cheaper 690 - for the Indian market as well as for their global sales in terms of better margins. What is still clear though is that unlike the 125, 200, and 390, this will not be completely manufactured here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratheekkunder View Post
Update:

1:Next immediate bike to be launched by BAL is KTM350
2:After KTM 350, KTM990 will be launched in India.
3:Also,as per my source, BAL will be having one bike in 6 Lac category.So it can be KTM 690.
I have not heard much about the 990 in spite of some standstill sightings of their two testers at Akurdi.

The next launch will be the 390. That is what I heard too.
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:52   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
This was not a dealer source.

The Austrian 690 from what I hear may not be pushed here as a stop gap. The final aim is to have a much cheaper 690 - for the Indian market as well as for their global sales in terms of better margins. What is still clear though is that unlike the 125, 200, and 390, this will not be completely manufactured here.

I have not heard much about the 990 in spite of some standstill sightings of their two testers at Akurdi.

The next launch will be the 390. That is what I heard too.
Hey buddy, if its not strictly confidential, can you give out your source? If you do not give 'essential info' (name,desig etc.), it's safe. Mine was multiple dealers confirming this. But maybe they also picked up the info from the net.

So, is the 390 news confirmed? Also, is it 375 badged as 390 or a 350 cc? One thing, is for sure, Bajaj wants to get the 690 at an affordable price. And thus is not looking at a quick fix; simply to dump its bike here and hope for the best.

In a way, both of us are kind of happy, aren't we? After all, we're both looking primarily at 390

MODS: If we can confirm the 390 news, then I think we should change the title of the thread.
Old 23rd August 2012, 13:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
If you are hell bent on a naked bike right now your only option is the GT650N by hyosung. But if I were you I'd buy the Ninja 650 only bcoz of Bajaj's after sales service. Hyosung's service is questionable besides only God knows how long they'll stay afloat before it goes up for sale or worse if they shut down operations altogether.

If you are not in a hurry then the duke 690 or the street triple can be viable options too. Happy Biking
Hahahaha. Thanks but a big no for any Korean or Chinese bike. God alone knows what problems I may face on a everyday basis, leave alone the fact that Hyosung may pack up and leave tomorrow.
I am looking at waiting for the 690 lets c if its available in the next 3 months, else I am keenly looking at the smaller Ducati.
Old 23rd August 2012, 16:03   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Hey buddy, if its not strictly confidential, can you give out your source? If you do not give 'essential info' (name,desig etc.), it's safe. Mine was multiple dealers confirming this. But maybe they also picked up the info from the net.
Sorry bro, can't add to what I already said, which is pretty clear actually ....

Quote:
So, is the 390 news confirmed? Also, is it 375 badged as 390 or a 350 cc? One thing, is for sure, Bajaj wants to get the 690 at an affordable price. And thus is not looking at a quick fix; simply to dump its bike here and hope for the best.
Nothing is ever confirmed till it happens so no sense in changing the thread topic one way or the other.

Bajaj is definitely looking at an affordable 690. As a direct import, it will be way worse than the N650 and probably in the Ducati Monster range or even more.

Quote:
In a way, both of us are kind of happy, aren't we? After all, we're both looking primarily at 390
Happy not really. Once you start daring to dream of a 690, a 390 always comes through as a compromise.

I will keep monitoring and decide accordingly. If it is the 390, I will sell my 200. If its the 690, I will keep the 200 as the city bike.

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd August 2012 at 16:04.
Old 23rd August 2012, 16:58   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Bajaj is definitely looking at an affordable 690. As a direct import, it will be way worse than the N650 and probably in the Ducati Monster range or even more.

I will keep monitoring and decide accordingly. If it is the 390, I will sell my 200. If its the 690, I will keep the 200 as the city bike.
Doc, any idea on the bhp/torque ratings of the 390? I assume the 690 will be around the 70ish bhp, single cylinder, am I correct?
Old 23rd August 2012, 17:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry bro, can't add to what I already said, which is pretty clear actually ....

Nothing is ever confirmed till it happens so no sense in changing the thread topic one way or the other.

Happy not really. Once you start daring to dream of a 690, a 390 always comes through as a compromise.

Interesting. I may still be interested in 390 since I am not looking at spending close to even 4 lacs. If the 390 comes with close to 45-50 bhp@ 2 lacs odd, then that is it. I don't need anything more than that. However, if the price difference between the 690 and 390 is 'only' in the region of 1 lakh, then I may stretch my budget for the 690.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Doc, any idea on the bhp/torque ratings of the 390? I assume the 690 will be around the 70ish bhp, single cylinder, am I correct?
Yup, Close to 70 bhp from a single cylinder. So, pretty unique. It sounds like the KTM200, with surround sound. Very different from the typical V-twin or 3 cylinder.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 23rd August 2012 at 17:30.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 18:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
As I said earlier, it should be 40-50 bhp and more or equally torquey as a Bullet 500.

The 2012 KTM 690 is 72 bhp and does a shade under 210 kmph when given full throttle. But top end is never what any KTM is all about .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Interesting. I may still be interested in 390 since I am not looking at spending close to even 4 lacs. If the 390 comes with close to 45-50 bhp@ 2 lacs odd, then that is it. I don't need anything more than that. However, if the price difference between the 690 and 390 is 'only' in the region of 1 lakh, then I may stretch my budget for the 690.
Lets see man. In my case, now that I have a 200, if the two (390 and 690) are not too far apart, I would wait to know where the 690 slots in price-wise, and then take a call. Because I don't want to keep buying and selling bikes every year like a firang cause in India you lose money in the short term as a seller.

Quote:
Yup, Close to 70 bhp from a single cylinder. So, pretty unique. It sounds like the KTM200, with surround sound. Very different from the typical V-twin or 3 cylinder.
Where did you hear it up close? I saw a guy on one whizzing past in the traffic in London, but could not make out the note. I am hoping it is a nice sound.

My 200 has become slightly rounded off at 4500 kms compared to new sub 1500 km bikes (compared the notes yesterday at the workshop - the difference is clear).
Old 23rd August 2012, 18:22   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where did you hear it up close? I saw a guy on one whizzing past in the traffic in London, but could not make out the note. I am hoping it is a nice sound.

My 200 has become slightly rounded off at 4500 kms compared to new sub 1500 km bikes (compared the notes yesterday at the workshop - the difference is clear).
In the videos It doesn't sound anything like a 'growly' Ducati ( 2 cylinder) or Street Triple (3 cylinder), (at least in the videos). It sounds like 200 with super surround. Very very different from any other bike!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 23rd August 2012 at 18:24.
Old 23rd August 2012, 18:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

The KTM sounds best when it is being pulled hard to the red blinking light in every gear and just fanning the super light clutch with the throttle pinned. Heady stuff!
Old 23rd August 2012, 19:18   #55
BHPian

It sounds amazing under throttle! For a single cylinder, its quite the monster! I hope they introduce the SMC variant too! I will definitely buy the 690 whenever I am back in India!

The engine racket is positively disturbing! I've owned rackety RD's and they sound butter smooth compared to the racket my 690 made. I also owned the DR650 SE at the same time, and this was easily thrice as noisy as the DR, if I were to guess a multiple. But its mostly at idle. To someone hearing it for the first time, it sounds like the motor is about to explode! I can see bajaj pulling its hair out to explain to prospective buyers that its 'Normal'

Here's a pic of the one I owned last year.

Way to go Bajaj!
Attached Thumbnails
*Strong Rumour* : KTM Duke 690 around Diwali-ktm.jpg  

Last edited by Rash : 23rd August 2012 at 19:30. Reason: grammar ninja attack
Rash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 19:22   #56
Senior - BHPian

Rash, why the 690 and why not any of the others 600+ bikes like the Ninja 650, or the Ducati 696, or the Street Triple?

Tell us what you know please.

I've been begging my pal in Australia to test ride the 690 and report back but no luck so far. KTM dealers abroad are really pretty exclusive in their attitude apparently.

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd August 2012 at 19:26.
Old 23rd August 2012, 19:41   #57
BHPian

If I was to compare, from my very limited experience with 600+ cc bikes.

1.> Single cylinder = less wt, less wider engine, less inertia and drive train loss.
2.> Monster torque from the low end , yet revving out to 9K (Good enough for me)
3.> maintenance much much easier. 4 valves instead of 12 or 16.
4.> Because of low weight, you can use the same motorcycle in different modes, street,dirt, supermoto. I would like to see the speed triple do it , All you need is spare wheel set and maybe front suspension. The 690 Duke, SMC and Dual sport are pretty much the same bikes, just different wheels and suspension.

And honestly, you don't need 100hp anywhere other than the race track.
Rash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 00:54   #58
BHPian

Few more points about the 690SMC

1.> The ATPC slipper clutch really works. I've done throttle chops at 6-7k rpm without the rear skipping or hopping around or getting flung over the bars . But it doesn't kill the engine braking completely.
2.> The radial single disc brembo is Phenomenal.
3.> Fully adjustable suspension (Don't this the N650 has this)

Basically quality of most parts was top notch. When KTM say race ready, they mean it !
Rash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 07:38   #59
BHPian

Rash,
That is one sassky bike man!
I'd really love to see the entire range of KTMs eventually as an option here in India. Either sold mass or atleast an option to import through them.
Those SMs look like they can ride over everything.

Kudos Bajaj and KTM. You are driving the change here!
Old 24th August 2012, 10:56   #60
Senior - BHPian

Great inputs Rash. The simplicity of a single and the way it pulls is what attracts me too. Appreciate it! You've owned both bikes I;ve been drooling over - the 690 SMC and the DR650. But I'd take 72 bhp EFI over 42 bhp carb anyday.

True that about the Street Triple - something I was saying as well some posts back.

Yeah. I know what you mean by Bajaj pulling its hair. Like your rackety TDs, I've owned rackety Bullets, so the Duke is super refined for me. But I've seen so many younger owners going absolutely paranoid about the tic-tic's and tac-tac's which the engine makes when its god and hot. I know for a fact that many have insisted the head be opened up to check if everything was ok .....

We probably will not get the original Brembos and WP suspension bits here - but their licensed out Bybre and Endurance copies. That itself should be a Lac+ shaved off I guess .....

On topic, the news is that the 390 thing is unconfirmed .... its still being referred to internally as the 350. And this is the disappointing bit - its absolutely confirmed a street bike that "looks very close to the Duke 125/200." With alloys. :(

The 350 will come first. That is also confirmed.

The 690 is some way away. And will be a Duke.

The company guys have had a lot of discussions on enduro/motard, but they do not see the numbers happening, and hence street is the way will be going initially at least. No one knows what will or can happen later.

Tight lips on engine specs and price obviously.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks