Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 23:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: My 2000 Kawasaki ZX12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Why are all the repairs done on roadside? A bike of this stature deserves a good garage and on top its monsoon time.Anyway the progress is good and wish you many miles ahead.Make sure you wear a good helmet when you ride.
Hillram, I agree with you but as I said above, it was a small job. More an oil change and barke pad replacement job than any big repairs. Hence, here. Brake fluid top up (front) and drain,fill, bleed, set (at rear) job. Just took around 30 min. BTW, this mech worked under the tutelage of some veteran SBK mech in Chennai and does a good job of small works. As you rightly said, any serious job would see me head to a different place.
Old 5th September 2012, 00:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Pgsagar: I have owned a 2005 12R for its first 6 years. It went through various modifications and performance enhancements.
Had an Arata Full exhaust, BMC air filters, custom mapped PC3, Long Velocity Stacks, Gilles rearsets, Braided lines, 17T front sprocket, among other run of the mill mods.

The 12 has always been a powerful bike. Infact just too powerful and too out of control. I used to enjoy riding it when it was in stock condition. But as I installed the mods, the power went up and up and up and the fact that was most affected was the throttle response and the acceleration. The combined effect was such that it became a hassle to ride it in the city. I used to enjoy it on open deserted stretches but as my city developed the open deserted stretches reduced. Result- it was scary and actually a big project to even think about going on a ride. I always knew my riding skills were no match to a superbike, but now the the equation had taken a scary turn. Result- bike ridden less than a 1000 miles in the last 2 years of its ownership and then sold to a much crazier friend who rode it from dehradun to bhatinda and then to Bangalore. Crazy guy. I don't know but many bangalore guys may know him and the bike already. That was one sweet bike and I kept it like a baby. When it was sold the Odo read 6500 Miles only. Sweet bike. But scary.

So my suggestion is that keep the bike in a condition where you'll be able to handle the power and enjoy the bike. The point when you start having to make a project to even go on a ride is the point where you should roll back the mods. I know its a power trip (it was for me, comparing the mods to the best in the world) but in India we just can't enjoy these mods.

Edit: loose the 200 section tire. A 190 will transform the bike into a corner carver!

Last edited by navpreet318 : 5th September 2012 at 00:37.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 11:33   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
much crazier friend who rode it from dehradun to bhatinda and then to Bangalore. Crazy guy. I don't know but many bangalore guys may know him and the bike already.
Has he documented his ride, photographs etc? I would really like to go through this, if it is somewhere, please post a link, else would request him to start a thread somewhere, Please

The Delhi - Bombay - Bangalore ride would have been awesome.

OT: Is your travelogue with the Civic featured somewhere, can't seem to find it.
Old 5th September 2012, 11:33   #19
BHPian

Awesome ride man. Congrats and wish you miles and miles of safe riding. Agree with Navpreet on the mods. Its better initially to get accustomed to the bike , understand and feel the bike out then on the lacking fronts go in for the mods. In a country like ours unless you are out riding on the track regularly power mods are more of bragging rights because with such a powerful machine you hardly get to enjoy the additional power given our traffic & road conditions. The K&N maybe a worthwhile upgrade for the moment.
Old 12th September 2012, 13:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Also, thinking of painting the rims gold or silver.
First off, congrats on the 12R Sagar and wishing you many years of happy and safe rides on this machine.

I would suggest light gold (matt finish) on the rims. Would love subtle yet classy.
Old 14th September 2012, 23:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, redrage and aditya! Aditya, I have zeroed in on matt gold , too. And redrage, no mods for me. The bike's insane acceleration is killer as it is. First gear itself takes upto 140 kph, nearing redline. Naaah! I don't want to take it to its limits. I ain't that brave.

Last night, took it out for a spin and made the mistake of opening a little too much too suddenly. Got a bloody violent tug and head kinda went back. So all the talk about neck-breaking acceleration is not exaggeration. One can commit harakiri by opening too much. This bike needs head-restraints like in cars, to stop head from slumping back. Came home with mild aching neck which lasted for a few hours. I read that some even felt their arms being pulled out of their sockets. May be my arms are stronger than my neck. Then I read that this is the reason why they bend and tuck their head into the wind-shield when they plan to open up. I was sitting a little upright when I opened up and, hence the tug.

The downside of this bike is, it has got way too much power to ride it on my small city streets. Can't redline this bike even in first gear to hear that scream. Neutral is the only situation but doing that on no-load is hurting the engine. And not to mention the heart-attack it may give to many residents in my neighbourhood. So, I'm yet to hear this bike at full blast. Even at 7-8K, it sounds like a fighter jet, according to my neighbour who hears me approach. And it has that heavy 4-cyl vibe which is audible 5 floors up even when I close throttle and ease into parking slot at idling rpm. One neighbour says it sounds like mild earthquake. I will have to loan it to someone and hear it from afar but I dare not do that.

Also, did some research and found that this unrestricted 2000 model is fast becoming collector's item. Not too many are left around. Truly, last of the Mohicans.
pgsagar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 23:24   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Then I read that this is the reason why they bend and tuck their head into the wind-shield when they plan to open up. I was sitting a little upright when I opened up and, hence the tug.
One of the other reason is that when the weight is put forward, it helps in not wheeling the bike. This darn thing can wheelie even at 100+ speeds if you are not careful

Maybe you can make video to hear her on full-chat and yes, upload here as well.

Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 02:58   #23
BHPian

Congratulations on the 12R.

Remind yourself to be careful every time you get on it.
Another thing, Never ride it when you are angry or very depressed or under any extreme emotion. Not the kind of motorcycle you want to use to blow off steam.

Enjoy!
Rash is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks