Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2013, 15:03   #196
BHPian

Re: The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
3. There is a product called WindJammer 2, which basically reduces the gap between the helmet shell and your neck, reducing the airflow and noise. I have not tried this, but have friends in the US who wear it on freeway rides and report good things about it.
Hi sriku, I checked out the WindJammer 2 and it seems to be a good product. Do you have any idea if its available in India anywhere?
Old 19th January 2013, 01:06   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku

sag_kv,
wind noise is never going away, there are however, certain measures you can take to reduce it
2. Does your helmet have a chin curtain (search google images for "helmet chin curtain" to know what I'm referring to). This helps reduce the noise to an extent, also keeping any pebbles/bugs out of your face.
3. There is a product called WindJammer 2, which basically reduces the gap between the helmet shell and your neck, reducing the airflow and noise. I have not tried this, but have friends in the US who wear it on freeway rides.

I'm surprised they gave you a 2011 manual. It's unacceptable. Give them hell!
Thanks sriku for the info,
I dont have the chin curtain, ill try to get the windjammer if possible.

And yes today spoke to the manager about the manual, whats the fun in buying a pemium vehicle. The manager Of the probiking store said hell get back on this at the earliest,he is a nice guy very propmt at his work and keeps is word, hope i get the manual soon.
Old 20th January 2013, 19:35   #198
BHPian

Hi guys here are some pics of the accessories i purchased that i mentioned earlier
Attached Images

sag_kv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 12:02   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Hi sriku, I checked out the WindJammer 2 and it seems to be a good product. Do you have any idea if its available in India anywhere?
Don't think it is available here, but it seems to be a nice DIY project. Try earplugs first, they're usually enough, at least for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sag_kv View Post
Thanks sriku for the info,
I dont have the chin curtain, ill try to get the windjammer if possible.

And yes today spoke to the manager about the manual, whats the fun in buying a pemium vehicle. The manager Of the probiking store said hell get back on this at the earliest,he is a nice guy very propmt at his work and keeps is word, hope i get the manual soon.
Don't buy the windjammer yet, try out ear plugs and close off the vents first, if that is still too much noise for you, I guess you'll have to learn to live with it. Keep pressing the manager for this, you should have it before your first service.

On another note, glad to see good riding gear
I find it very difficult to get gear my size, as the local stores do not stock boots/suits my size, but have been able to get stuff hand carried back from the US. If anyone knows a place (apart from dsg and PRS) where I can get a mesh riding suit custom made, please let me know.
Old 24th January 2013, 23:44   #200
BHPian

Hi guys have been taking out the bike for short spins, not finding much time to go on a long drive. Planning this weekend, wish it happens. Intially i felt the gears were cluncky with kind of rough feel but as the bike in been run in i can slowly feel the smoothness.Even the clutch needed fiddling around to get the right adjustment. Still not happy with the brakes, one more thing i wanted to ask is what is the recommended tire pressure. I feel the tires to be hard and lack traction, i have done about 150:kms., any tips on getting the best ride quality.
Old 25th January 2013, 08:22   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still not happy with the brakes, one more thing i wanted to ask is what is the recommended tire pressure. I feel the tires to be hard and lack traction, i have done about 150:kms., any tips on getting the best ride quality.
Brakes are a sore point for almost all the N650 owners and i know quite a few who have upgraded their braking systems to glafer pads, rotors and steel braided lines... and it makes a significant difference.

You might want to explore such a modification but costs quite a bit for the same (50k IIRC). PRS will have most of the parts you need.

Regarding the tires, they need a few hundred kms (at least 300-400kms) to break in. During this time, please maintain controlled speeds and cornering angles. The tires on this bike are not exactly soft compound so they do take a bit longer than the usual SBK tires to warm up and stick to the tarmac. Maintain tire pressures as recommended in the owners manual. You could fill 1-2 psi lesser than recommended for better grip levels but life of the tire will be reduced.
Old 25th January 2013, 10:41   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Still not happy with the brakes, one more thing i wanted to ask is what is the recommended tire pressure. I feel the tires to be hard and lack traction, i have done about 150:kms., any tips on getting the best ride quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Brakes are a sore point for almost all the N650 owners and i know quite a few who have upgraded their braking systems to glafer pads, rotors and steel braided lines... and it makes a significant difference.
You might want to explore such a modification but costs quite a bit for the same (50k IIRC). PRS will have most of the parts you need.
@sag_kv:
I find the dunlop roadsmart 2 tyres to be excellent for street and highway use, and many 2012 owners agree with this. Aditya is spot on when he says you need to ride carefully for the first ~300 kms until the tyres bed in, and the brakes bed in too. I would recommend a couple of short rides to get this done.

When you say lack traction, please explain what situation/behaviour. I have set the rear suspension preload to 2 notches below maximum for my weight, and run tyre pressures as indicated in the manual, the ride is super comfy for me at least.
Air Pressure (when Cold)
Front: Up to 200 kg (441 lb)
225 kPa (2.25 kgf/cm², 32 psi)
Rear: Up to 200 kg (441 lb)
250 kPa (2.50 kgf/cm², 36 psi)

Regarding the brakes, yes they are not as good as they could have been, but give them time and they are usable. A bunch of us on the facebook group are upgrading to HEL steel braided lines and EBC HH brake pads. 2011 650 owners on the group have already upgraded, and the difference in braking ability is worth the cost. After riding a 2011 with the upgraded lines and pads, I knew I had to upgrade. I don't know about the rotors, but just pads and lines will cost about 20k INR. Assuming of course you only upgrade the front. And I wouldn't classify upgrading pads and lines as a modification, they are just an upgrade.

Ride safe, and ride often.
Sriku
Old 27th January 2013, 17:25   #203
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Sorry for going off topic, does anyone know if rear shock on Ninja 650(2011) can be serviced (oil change etc)?

Any places in Delhi/NCR if yes.
Old 30th January 2013, 13:33   #204
BHPian

Hi guys, wanted to know if the high beam can be adjusted, mine seems to be falling too high, road clearance is not good.
Old 31st January 2013, 17:14   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys, wanted to know if the high beam can be adjusted, mine seems to be falling too high, road clearance is not good.
Yes, there is a vertical and horizontal adjustment knob that you can use. It is preferred to sit on the bike, aim the beam at a wall and adjust so that the beam is just below the horizontal. Pretty easy to do. The service manual has all the required information.

Sriku
Old 20th February 2013, 12:01   #206
BHPian

End of January 2013, went with fellow Ninja 650 owners to Kari Racetrack in Coimbatore for the Indimotard's Throttle.Wide.Open track riding school.

The whole experience was too awesome to be put into mere words. The track really is the holy grail of motorcycling for me and like so many others I came back truely bitten by the track bug.

Two days of learning and riding and understanding the dynamics of the Ninja. Got acquainted to her manners and understood how and why she behaves a certain way.

Was really impressed with her capabilities on the track and she did manage to show the bigger chaps a thing or two. Fellow bhpian Guru was like lightning on his 650 and ran circles around the litre bikes on the track. Fully convinced that in the right hands, the Ninja 650 can be an effective track weapon.

What I wished for on the track were sport-bars and better brake feel. She was rock-solid in the corners and only when I inspected the tyres post the sessions and saw the workout the complete curvature had got did I realise how effortless she felt even at the limit. Hats off to the Dunlop tyres as well, they performed brilliantly despite being street tyres.

With more track time going under my belt in the coming months, should only get better. Trust me when I say that track riding makes you a much better and safer rider in everyday life. Sharpens your instincts and makes you realise all the stupid pseudo-Rossi stuff that you do on the streets & are proud of.

Also, the accessories list is going up soon. Braided lines from HEL, EBC Extreme Pro brake pads, R&G radiator guard and swingarm spools are on the immediate to-be-installed list. Will probably put up a review in a month's time on these. But fellow onwers who have shifted to the HEL lines and EBC pads are already amazed by the difference it makes. Sports bars are still in the limbo as I dont want to ruin the brilliant everyday riding position for the sake of 2 days of track riding every 3-4 months. Maybe will look for a way around it or will bite the bug and get the sports bars.

Post the track hammering, she has gotten noticeably faster in the rev-range. Maybe its because of the Cat-Con being burned through. But the engine revs far more freely and the engine braking on chopping the throttle has almost vanished.

Cant wait to get back onto the track in the future !
Attached Thumbnails
The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650-_dsc0312.jpg  

The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650-_dsc0313.jpg  

The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650-523173_10151421985016397_475098517_n.jpg  

The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650-819200_10151422027226397_1117330109_o.jpg  

Last edited by narula123 : 20th February 2013 at 12:08.
narula123 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 12:04   #207
BHPian

Varun and the other first timers at Kari were having a blast!
Loads of fun watching you guys on the track.
Cannot wait for the next track weekend!

Post a couple of pics of your tyres sans the chicken strips! Bragging rights well earned I say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
End of January 2013, went with fellow Ninja 650 owners to Kari Racetrack in Coimbatore for the Indimotard's Throttle.Wide.Open track riding school.

The whole experience was too awesome to be put into mere words. The track really is the holy grail of motorcycling for me and like so many others I came back truely bitten by the track bug.

Two days of learning and riding and understanding the dynamics of the Ninja. Got acquainted to her manners and understood how and why she behaves a certain way.

Last edited by sriku : 20th February 2013 at 12:06.
sriku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 08:12   #208
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear about the track experience!

Was taking off the front fairing? Was it easy or and compulsory?
Old 21st February 2013, 08:31   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree Sri. The school helps unlearn all those unwanted things we have been doing on our bikes all these years without our knowledge. I recommend at least Level-1 for all the bikers no matter what they ride. I've done 4 track days with indiMotard and each time has been a learning experience for me.

Couldn't make this this time but hope to catch you around next time for sure.

Quote:
Was really impressed with her capabilities on the track and she did manage to show the bigger chaps a thing or two. Fellow bhpian Guru was like lightning on his 650 and ran circles around the litre bikes on the track. Fully convinced that in the right hands, the Ninja 650 can be an effective track weapon.
The pics look great and i was also pleasantly surprised that the 650 could prove it's track capabilities while it is actually a sports tourer.

Guru was like a tornado on the track when i was at the track in Oct 2012. Man, his aftermarket exhaust is so loud, it used to scare the daylights off of me. I used to think he was right under my tail waiting to overtake or cut in, but was quite a distance away lol. But of course he rides very well, no overtaking from the inside or scaring the slower bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Not mandatory to strip away the plastics but of course on the 650 it is time consuming since you have to remove the front headlight unit and speedo console.
Old 21st February 2013, 11:37   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Good to hear about the track experience!

The bangalore ninja guys have decided to not risk the fairings, headlamps and instrument cluster on the track, so they prep the bikes a few days before trucking them to the track.
It is not compulsory, however it helps if the mirrors, head and tail lamps, and speedo are taped over, to reduce distractions to self and other riders on the track.

I am of the opinion that even an R15 front bikini fairing modded to fit the front of the ninja's will be useful to cut out drag. But even this is overkill for the occassional trackday.
sriku is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks