Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2012, 10:57   #16
BHPian

Re: The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Harbir, what are the characteristics of a V4?
Old 11th September 2012, 14:29   #17
BHPian

very similar to an inline 4 in terms of power band characteristics (revvy, powerful, smoother than any other configuration of 4 or less cylinders, except inline 4), though more prone to vibration than an inline 4, narrow width compared to an inline 4, and an absolutely wonderful sound thats like half a V8 in its offbeat burbling rumble. More expensive than an Inline 4 because you need two separate cylinder blocks and two cylinder heads, so not used commonly unless the manufacturer is keen either to reach inline 4 levels of power but to stick to a narrow engine, or to get the V4's characteristic NVH traits, or both.

This engine configuration is used mostly in power cruisers (Honda Magna, Yamaha V-max) but has found notable sportbike use in the Aprilia RSV4 and the Ducati Desmocedici, both made by companies whose bikes are wedded to the V-twin sound and feel, but who wanted inline 4 levels of power without having their bikes become "japanese like". So they chose V4s for those bikes.
Harbir is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 15:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post
congrats on the purchase!

From the pictures, one can tell about the excellent build quality from Kawasaki. I saw last years model on road recently and boy-o-boy the road presence it has is equivalent to watching a quickly approaching Audi in the rear view mirrors.
Thanks. The build quality is indeed splendid and from the looks of it seems like it will hold on well for some years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Lovely bike. I wish they offered the Versys variant
Congratulations.
Thank you. The Versys is a great practical bike and I hope they get it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Congratulations on acquiring "the most sensible big bike to buy today in India". Do give us some more better quality photos.

Was it financed or an outright purchase? Do share the contact details of the Probiking Manager here (or PM) for the benefit of any other Tbhpian interested in this bike in this region. I contacted Probiking showroom at Meerut and seems that they have yet not been allotted for sale of the 650. Also inform us about any accessories planned and the riding gear that you are using.
Thanks. Im assuming you read the Autocar review too.
It was an outright purchase due to variety of reasons primary being the horrible horrible treatment I got from HDFC bank for my application towards a SuperBike loan. They told me that my 7 figure montly salary was too low for a Rs 2.5 lakh loan and that since I was under 30 years of age, I needed my mother to be a co-applicant. Apparently for them I am old enough to buy a car but not a Superbike. They wanted me to get my verification done at my hometown, my company's head office in Mumbai and my current working location in Bangalore (because "there is a risk that a Superbike owner might run away or commit an accident"). The worst was when they told me to furnish the loan documents of my two cars which my dad bought 10 years back on loan from ICICI in his own name and which has long been preclosed. This was apparently to check my future credit risk because they literally believe in 'Like Father, Like Son'. Felt like physically and verbally abusing them. Public sector banks were claiming a loan processing time of over a month which due to my time constraints was a lost cause. So decided to dig deeper and save myself the hassle of getting insulted further by the loan sharks.

I have mentioned the name of the KTM branch manager in my opening post. If anyone needs his contact details then I shall be more than happy to PM it to them. I would suggest you buy the bike from Dehradun and drive it down to Meerut. The manager told me he has one more 650 left in allocation which is up for grabs.

As for accessories, I have bought R&G frame sliders, Rscal Grafix tank pad and a disc brake alarm lock from Xena. My riding gear includes my Daijya helmet, Cramster gloves, DSG Maze jacket, Fox knee guards and SFR riding boots. The helmet is up for replacement soon.

Quote:
But having owned and ridden virtually every variation of motorcycle, I can't decide which is the optimal configuration for motorcycles. The parallel twin is technically the best because it provides the most optimal balance of compact dimensions, low weight, and more than adequate performance. But they have a scooter like personality. Polite and characterless.

The inline triple is probably the perfect engine for large motorcycles.

Lets get real: hyperbikes are awesome but not usable in the real world, not even in countries like the US, never mind India.
There is no right answer here as to which is the best configuration. Pick what works for you.
Thanks for the wishes and I wish someday my portfolio of bikes ridden is as glam as yours . I agree that the inline twins are hugely practical but very polite with zero drama. I love the inline triples and would have probably jumped at the Street Triple had Triumph been in town. For me, it was love at first sight with the N650. Despite all her constraints and flaws she just fit herself right into my heart.

Last edited by narula123 : 11th September 2012 at 15:14.
Old 11th September 2012, 17:03   #19
BHPian

Hi Narula123

Congratulations on your 2012 N650. This beast is amazing fun, never lets you down.

Keep the miles going !!

Once again i welcome you to the N650 club, also pm your details we are a group of 70+ India 650 owners, lots to learn and share.
Old 11th September 2012, 17:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your Ninja Narula I think its a very good improvement on the looks department over the outgoing model. Havent rode either, so cant comment on that. Like someone said above, you are living our dream Wishing you many miles of happiness with it.

Please do post more pics of the Green 650 and since you said it looks bulky, do show a size comparison with a Pulsar.
Old 11th September 2012, 18:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lovely bike. I wish they offered the Versys variant (same bike, no fairing, different headlight, more upright riding posture). It is both more comfortable and easier to throw around corners (due to better leverage at the handle bars). That one I would certainly have bought.
Should be easy to covert. Order parts from a Versys and bolt on!

India being a fairing crazy country, Versys is unlikely to show up. Lot of people overlook the KTM200 because it doesn't have a fairing.

Last edited by Mpower : 11th September 2012 at 20:22.
Old 11th September 2012, 18:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Should be easy to covert.
Not really. Its got the same frame, wheels, brakes, electronics, and engine block, but everything else is different.

Suspension, handlebars, all the bodywork, camshafts, ECU programming, rear subframe, footpegs, seat, exhaust, etc are all different. The ER6N is much easier to create out of a Ninja 650R since thats essentially an unfaired N650, but what I want is a versys, not an unfaired Ninja 650

Last edited by Harbir : 11th September 2012 at 18:45.
Old 11th September 2012, 19:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Congratulations on your Ninja Narula

Please do post more pics of the Green 650 and since you said it looks bulky, do show a size comparison with a Pulsar.
hahahaha. Ninja Narula sounds like a sequel to Rowdy Rathore.

Pics will have to wait a bit buddy. Both my bikes are in transit right now. Should reach Bangalore in another week atleast. Will flood you with pics then. Do excuse me until then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
India being a fairing crazy country, Versys is unlikely to show up. Lot of people overlook the KTM200 because it doesn't have a fairning.
Oops. I suddenly feel guilty
Old 11th September 2012, 19:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

With Kawasaki, Ninja, Bangalore and Dehradoon all in one post there was no way i could have stayed away from this one.
Congratulations on a brilliant bike Narula. Had I not been obsessed by the Ninja250, this was the one I would have surely gone in for. I think its a fantastic balance of peformance and practicality and will serve you well.

Wish you a fantastic experience with the 650, ride safe and have fun.

Last edited by sammyboy : 11th September 2012 at 19:16.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 19:43   #25
BHPian

Congratulations buddy, Have had the pleasure of riding this brute quite close to its limits and its absolutely brilliant. Amazing torque, fantastic brakes and serious performance. Have a blast and ride safe!
Old 12th September 2012, 13:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

I'm a little late but congratulations are in order.

Wishing you many years of happy and safe rides Narula. The xena will offer peace of mind when you have the leave the bike unattended but it might also attract attention of curious people. Nevertheless it's a good buy. Pick proof and all weather characteristics make this locking unit a bullet proof theft deterrent.

All the best. Looking forward to riding with you.
Old 12th September 2012, 17:28   #27
BHPian

Congratulations Narula. You've written a good experience.
Old 12th September 2012, 18:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The saree guard makes good bar-be-que grill. Do not waste it.
Thanks for the tip!now i know what to do with those lying around.

Anyways,Many congratulations! ride safe!
Old 13th September 2012, 10:59   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
With Kawasaki, Ninja, Bangalore and Dehradoon all in one post there was no way i could have stayed away from this one.
Congratulations on a brilliant bike Narula. Had I not been obsessed by the Ninja250, this was the one I would have surely gone in for. I think its a fantastic balance of peformance and practicality and will serve you well.

Wish you a fantastic experience with the 650, ride safe and have fun.
Thanks sammyboy. Is your Ninja here in Bangalore or Dehradun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
Congratulations buddy, Have had the pleasure of riding this brute quite close to its limits and its absolutely brilliant. Amazing torque, fantastic brakes and serious performance. Have a blast and ride safe!
Thanks balenopower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I'm a little late but congratulations are in order.
Wishing you many years of happy and safe rides Narula. The xena will offer peace of mind
All the best. Looking forward to riding with you.
Thanks Aditya, we'll ride soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
Congratulations Narula. You've written a good experience.
Thanks lionell. When's your bike coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawcash View Post
Thanks for the tip!now i know what to do with those lying around.
Thank You. Do put a metal mesh on the grill before u cook. Or you'll end up with black burnt paint on the food. I know because it happened to me.
Old 13th September 2012, 14:00   #30
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride. Awesome report and I similarly share the HDFC bank fiasco, however this was for a T-Fortuner. I went in with Axis Bank instead - they were more professional and quick in processing the loan.

Ride safe and anticipating a detailed and updated ownership report. Keep the snaps coming in !

Most Viewed