Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2012, 22:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Harley Davidson - Fatboy or Crossbones

Hi Friends,

What is your opinion to select between Fatboy and Crossbones if someone planning to bring a bike to India from abroad.

I have heard the ease of handling with Fatboy in Indian roads from my friends, but do I have anyone to comment me on cross bones.

The fatboy and crossbones are lookers, but crossbones are equipped with unique springer front suspension.

I know Fatboys are marketed in India hence I may have upper hand on parts availability on the other hand I haven't seen a single crossbones imorted to India. May be I'm wrong but I have heard from people in import industry not even heard this model from Harley Davidson so it brings an unique bike situation in India.

The only common about these bikes are that they are from Harley Davidson softtail family. Here are the two bikes in question, Let me know your inputs

Harley Davidson Crossbones
Harley Davidson - Fatboy or Crossbones-5l15i25fd3ge3ka3j4c7m614c0b0c798e167f.jpg

Harley Davidson Softtail
Harley Davidson - Fatboy or Crossbones-5nc5e85f23e83nd3h7c9febed7ea47f961fea.jpg
Old 19th September 2012, 22:33   #2
BHPian

Re: Harley Davidson - Fatboy or Crossbones

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 20th September 2012 at 10:01.
abeerbagul is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th September 2012, 22:41   #3
BHPian

The crossbones looks much better in my opinion, besides you'll be getting the coveted 'unique' tag too!

The only issue, as you've already mentioned, will be parts availability.
Although if the bike shares some parts/components from the models available in India then I guess spares wouldn't be much of a problem.
Old 19th September 2012, 22:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Frankly I think you are mistaken about these two bikes being different. Other than lowered suspension, the front springer and some chrome bits replaced by powder coated ones and a different seat it is essentially the same. Same chassis. Same engine. same gear box. Yeah handlebar is changed. Basically a cosmetically different bike. Not much of an issue. Infact I have seen a springer system fitted in a harley in India. It was a sportster or a Dyna. Don't remember. But it is easily doable. Do you think harley would spend so much on its operational costs to make a completely different bike? Nope. Its essentially a kit. A kit at factory level. Softail chassis are made together. The have different types of suspensions. 2-3 finishes of the engine and different seats, handlebars etc. etc. Nothing much. You can infact make a crossbones in India out of a Fatboy if you are willing to spend that much. Ofcourse the cost will be more because you'll have parts of both the bikes with you. But in the end they are both one bike with different kits.

So don't worry about parts availability. Service parts will be available easily. Its only cosmetic parts which will need to be ordered. Eg. the handlebar or tank incase it falls.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 11:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Go for the CrossBones, they are indeed unique to this part of the world. Should not be a major concern for service as any HD Dealer in India should be able to do it. Officially Imported Bikes are treated on par with regular bikes so not much of a service issue or parts availability. Which Part of India would you relocate to?
Old 20th September 2012, 14:06   #6
BHPian

Voting for the Crossbones.

1. No way Harley Davidson would officially sell a full black bike in the chrome crazy Indian market. So this would be a unique model, as long as you dont start a trend
2. If the Crossbones is just cosmetically different, it would be as easy to service as a Softail. This gives you peace of mind too.
Importing the custom parts is now easy, with EBay, and many other websites shipping to India.
abeerbagul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 17:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Looks like many of you have read my mind, but I'm still having unresolved questions about the springer suspension. Is it easy to maintain against the telescopic one on the Fatboy. The telescopic suspension is concealed and relatively maintenance free is it not ? I also see the Fatboy's suspension is matching to bike's bulkyness but the springer one looks really light, do you see a problem with it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Which Part of India would you relocate to?
Chennai.

Now I have set of decision making questions on the customs part

1. I read on the internet I should own the bike minimum 1 year prior to bringing this bike to India. Hence I'm in the process of buying now and bringing it to India. My question as HD dealerships in India started selling bikes now, is it not going to be a flop idea after an year I could buy either new or used HDs in India itself, in stead of going through the cumbersom import process and stanting before the Indian customs officer?

2. How about buying a 2006 or 2007 pre-owned bike here and use it for one year and bring it? I heard from a friend that the customs rule to have maximum of 3 years pre-owned condition is actually not existing as far as the bike is fuel injected not caburater. I want more experts to comment on this.

3. It goes along with the first and second question, if I decided to buy a used bike more than 3 years old and still landing cost is over 13L (price of the bike, Customs and Shipping), do you still see this is a good price point to attempt ?
Old 20th September 2012, 17:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Trammway,
Do refer this link. This should give you the complete list of answers for all your queries and much more.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...-bike-usa.html
Old 20th September 2012, 21:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Chennai.

1. I read on the internet I should own the bike minimum 1 year prior to bringing this bike to India. Hence I'm in the process of buying now and bringing it to India. My question as HD dealerships in India started selling bikes now, is it not going to be a flop idea after an year I could buy either new or used HDs in India itself, in stead of going through the cumbersom import process and stanting before the Indian customs officer?

2. How about buying a 2006 or 2007 pre-owned bike here and use it for one year and bring it? I heard from a friend that the customs rule to have maximum of 3 years pre-owned condition is actually not existing as far as the bike is fuel injected not caburater. I want more experts to comment on this.

3. It goes along with the first and second question, if I decided to buy a used bike more than 3 years old and still landing cost is over 13L (price of the bike, Customs and Shipping), do you still see this is a good price point to attempt ?

The thread opener (shrini78) in the link provided by ku69rd above imported to Chennai and his clearing agent there knows his job very well. So it should not be a big problem as long as you have your paperwork in order. Besides if you bring a 2005 bike, you will get about 70% depreciation from customs & you really dont have to bend over to the cutoms guys. Maybe you can drop a PM to shrini, who will guide you.

If your address in your passport does not match with where you live (other address proofs like telephone, elec bill etc), the RTO registration can be a problem.

Last edited by Haroon : 20th September 2012 at 21:31.
Old 21st September 2012, 01:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
The thread opener (shrini78) in the link provided by ku69rd above imported to Chennai and his clearing agent there knows his job very well. So it should not be a big problem as long as you have your paperwork in order. Besides if you bring a 2005 bike, you will get about 70% depreciation from customs & you really dont have to bend over to the cutoms guys. Maybe you can drop a PM to shrini, who will guide you.

If your address in your passport does not match with where you live (other address proofs like telephone, elec bill etc), the RTO registration can be a problem.
The friend I referred in my previous post is none other than Shrini.

Regarding passport address etc. i have no conflicting details all are flat same one. Now all I'm looking is opinion not on the customs alone(which is already on the thread) but pointers for decision making and predictions about Indian HD senario as it grows with the in house production and dealerships, is it a good idea to buy a 2006 or 2007 model and use it here for an year and then move it to India.

Last edited by trammway : 21st September 2012 at 02:15.
Old 21st September 2012, 02:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
The friend I referred in my previous post is none other than Shrini.

Now all I'm looking is opinion not on the customs alone(which is already on the thread) but pointers for decision making and predictions about Indian HD senario as it grows with the in house production and dealerships, is it a good idea to buy a 2006 or 2007 model and use it here for an year and then move it to India.
Small world indeed
Personally, I like the fatboy and practically speaking irrespective of 2006 or 2012 model, the bike basically looks the same. If I am not mistaken the Fatboy retails in India for about Rs 21 lacs on-road. Even after 2 years I doubt any of the owners may give it off for less than 15-16 lacs. And atleast down south I am given to understand its the Sportsters that are flying off the shelf fast whereas the HD big twins are not selling in big numbers. So not sure if the Fatboy will be assembled in India (read lower pricing in future). Therefore, if I can get the Fatboy into India under TR including cost, shipping & customs (after the depreciation etc) at 10-11 lacs. I am still saving 5-6 lacs. I could be wrong, but thats how I look at it at the present time.

Last edited by Haroon : 21st September 2012 at 02:50.
Old 21st September 2012, 02:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Small world indeed
Personally, I like the fatboy and practically speaking irrespective of 2006 or 2012 model, the bike basically looks the same. If I am not mistaken the Fatboy retails in India for about Rs 21 lacs on-road. Even after 2 years I doubt any of the owners may give it off for less than 15-16 lacs. And atleast down south I am given to understand its the Sportsters that are flying off the shelf fast whereas the HD big twins are not selling in big numbers. So not sure if the Fatboy will be assembled in India (read lower pricing in future). Therefore, if I can get the Fatboy into India under TR including cost, shipping & customs (after the depreciation etc) at 10-11 lacs. I am still saving 5-6 lacs. I could be wrong, but thats how I look at it.
Cool, That's the kind of reply I was expecting. Let me see if any other points from other stakeholders in this forum.

Any further perspective to this idea folks ? do anyone agree or disagree here?

Also as discussing with Srini and he confirmed brining 2007 is not an issue, but I'm still unable to come out of the the fact that the customs websites and all other postings claims that used bikes to be with in 3 years old. But 2007 will fall over 3 years boundary, do anyone else got something to say here?
Old 21st September 2012, 03:05   #13
BHPian

For permanent importation of motorbike, as per the customs officer in Cochin, he personally told me the following in December 2010 (during my Carnet). I dont think much has changed since then:

-To avail TR you should have lived abroad atleast for 2 years
-Should not have stayed in India for more than 6 months in these past 2 years
-You should not have availed TR earlier within the past 3 years
-The bike should have been owned by you abroad continuously for atleast 1 year
-The bike should not be older than 15 years

Ride safe...

Last edited by Haroon : 21st September 2012 at 03:07.
Old 21st September 2012, 04:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For permanent importation of motorbike, as per the customs officer in Cochin, he personally told me the following in December 2010 (during my Carnet). I dont think much has changed since then:

-To avail TR you should have lived abroad atleast for 2 years
-Should not have stayed in India for more than 6 months in these past 2 years
-You should not have availed TR earlier within the past 3 years
-The bike should have been owned by you abroad continuously for atleast 1 year
-The bike should not be older than 15 years

Ride safe...
Thanks Haroon

Atleast I will have passed four points from your list in next 6 months after I complete 2 years in US.

Now this discussion is raised to get the queries to circle the best bike for me here in US or in India.

As mentioned I will keep fingers crossed for anyother pointers from other members as well.

Now another set of question that goes back to choosing the best bike.

As I have circled these two models and knowing that my(bike's) life would be spent in Tamilnadu and much of the time in Chennai, Is the chromed one really makes it proper sense? The variables like moisure, salty water etc etc ... what not, go ahead guys help me decide a bike in India or US, a powder coated dark knight HD or all chrome bling HD
Old 21st September 2012, 06:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now another set of question that goes back to choosing the best bike.

As I have circled these two models and knowing that my(bike's) life would be spent in Tamilnadu and much of the time in Chennai, Is the chromed one really makes it proper sense? The variables like moisure, salty water etc etc ... what not, go ahead guys help me decide a bike in India or US, a powder coated dark knight HD or all chrome bling HD
Personally, I would choose the all black bike. Bling just looks too gaudy for me and attracts the wrong kind of attention anyway. I am more of an all go and no show rather than all show and no go kind of guy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks