Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2012, 15:44   #46
BHPian

Re: Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review

Congrats Naren on joining the ever growing Diavel Club. Thanks for putting this up on Team-bhp.com. I have had my Diavel for over a year now and thought of doing it several times, but....my bad, could never make the time for that.

I have a Diavel Black (not the Carbon) and i haven't kept it stock, it has a Shift-tech GP3 slipon, O2 Optimizer, and some after market carbon fiber bits from Ilmberger and Rizoma.

After 15 months and 5,000kms, my quick views on the Diavel are as follows:

Looks: Well, they can be subjective but my biased opinion is that the Diavel is one awesome looking, badass motorcycle. Rockstar looks as my wife says.

Handling: If looked on as a cruiser: 11/10. Cruisers don't handle like this. Has a good lean angle, is very stable on tight turns as well as hard braking and is very flickable, which is contradictory to its visual big size. Infact, it handles like a very good naked...good but not sports bike like good. The rear tyre inspires a lot of confidence but the gear and brake levers and also the front header can scrape the ground on tight twisties in the hills.

Engine performance: Mindblowing. I strongly recommend a slip on (the stock cans are too heavy) and an O2 optimizer. The bike runs lean under 5,000 rpm, which the O2 Optimizer will fix. 0-100, there are very few bikes (including sports bikes) that will keep up with this baby. Can't wait to put the 14T front spocket and watch it take off.

Pillion: Quite comfortable. Have done some two up trips from Mumbai to Amby Valley and Back. My wife gave it the thumbs up for comfort. No dilution in handling with a pillion on.

Build Quality: Generally good with excellent finish but with a few niggles. The suspension isn't that great in my view. I have been experimenting with quite a few settings and am in a happy space now. However, getting the Ohlins is pretty high up in my list of mods for this baby. And yes, that chain rattling noise also got to me before I did what you did too, stick a piece of rubber on the chain guard.

Maintenance and reliability: I have had a near faultless experience so far. Save for one instance, where one of the exhaust bolts came loose cause of vibrations. I highly recommend testing / tightening the torque of all important nuts / screws every 3 months. Ducati Mumbai has been an OK experience for me so far so no complaints there.

Mileage: In the city - 10 / 11 kmpl. Out on the highway, when riding hard - 13-14 kmpl. Easy riding in touring mode - 16-18kmpl. And yes, even i use 97 octane all the time

Windblast: Well, I have got the Ducati Performance touring screen on since the time i bought the bike, so cannot really comment. I am happy with the wind protection it gives and recommend it highly

Mods in pipeline: 14 tooth front sprocket, Tuneboy kit with race maps, Ohlins and possibly a touring seat.

Thats pretty much all i got to say for now. Ping me in case anyone wants more color on my experience so far with this awesome motorcycle.

Cheers

Vivek
ForcedInduction is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 20:16   #47
BANNED

Hi guys. I've been either Riding the Diavel, Cleaning the Diavel, or thinking about riding the Diavel pretty much all the time last couple of weeks. Haven't had a chance to update much.

Had the First 1000 km service done at home. The usual, oil, filter change, tighten chain, etc., etc. Needs a hookup to the Ducati DDS (Diag. tool) to reset the service light. Haven't figured out how to do that yet. Will probably have the tech from Chandigarh come down one of these days.

Odo reading 20xx km now, and grin factor is at about 11/10. Have some videos made, but needs some time for editing and upload. One of these day, for sure.

@ForcedInduction, thanks for your review. Good to hear your perspective with pillion riding.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
Old 26th November 2012, 11:20   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Hi guys. I've been either Riding the Diavel, Cleaning the Diavel, or thinking about riding the Diavel pretty much all the time last couple of weeks. Haven't had a chance to update much.
Hello gthang,

Your motorcycle looks fantastic.It's good to see people with passion and doing whatever it takes to achieve their dreams. Congratulations.

I have seen a diavel between coimbatore and palghat yesterday while driving to bangalore. I hope it was you.

Cheers.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users. Thanks.

Last edited by n_aditya : 21st December 2012 at 21:23.
Old 21st December 2012, 13:02   #49
BHPian

At the outset, congratulations to gthang and ForcedInduction.
Donno how I managed to miss out on this thread Well, it was Jan '11 when I first laid my eyes on this bike in the Ducati Mumbai showroom and the 'chemical locha' started instantly in my brain. Just an hour before I saw this bike, I was riding HD VRod and so I sat on the Diavel expecting the bulk. To my surprise it felt very light and the seat was really sofa-like. I had a Honda Fireblade then and thus there was no room to buy one more bike.
Cut-to Sep '12, a dear friend was looking for a bike with upright seating position. I convinced him to go for Diavel over the MT, VMax, FZ, CB,etc. He made full payment to Precision Motors and was promised the delivery of his red beast on 18th October. Fast forward today i.e. 21st December we are still waiting for the bike to arrive even when some say the world is going to end today

We went to Ducati Mumbai because another friend had a smooth experience of buying his 848. But our experience is nothing short of being cheated! Countless threatening emails and phone calls have resulted only in 'yet another delivery date'. They have given us the engine number etc and they say the bike is alloted for you but there is a 'SMALL' issue and we will get it shipped on coming friday (this is a story that repeats every week). But now I think we have to change gears and attack more. I dont want him to cancel the booking, after all he is my best friend (got it)?

Last edited by mobike008 : 11th October 2013 at 15:50. Reason: old post but, still removing an extra smiley
Old 6th September 2013, 18:32   #50
BHPian

Hey, sorry for waking this old thread up. First of all congrats for your beauties, Diavel, in my opinion should have been named as "batmanati", looks so much like a batman superbike :P, looks ecstatic.

Anyways, I want to buy a Ducati Multistrada, but I am not able to extract even a clue, how to do that, called on the numbers given on ducati India, but no response.

Please show me some light.
Old 11th October 2013, 13:18   #51
Senior - BHPian

gthang - Did you offer your bike to any Tamil movies recently? Just saw a Tamil movie poster where Superstar Ajith is cruising on a Diavel of the same color

Awesome bike it is, very musculine.
Old 11th October 2013, 13:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastmanstanding View Post
Hey, sorry for waking this old thread up. First of all congrats for your beauties, Diavel, in my opinion should have been named as "batmanati", looks so much like a batman superbike :P, looks ecstatic.

Anyways, I want to buy a Ducati Multistrada, but I am not able to extract even a clue, how to do that, called on the numbers given on ducati India, but no response.

Please show me some light.
I would suggest you look around for a second hand bike or then if a dealer has one, then put your money down only when you see your bike physically or when you have the keys to the bike in your hand. Ducati dealerships are not trustworthy at all

The other option you can look at is the Aprilia bikes.

Last edited by speedy : 11th October 2013 at 13:40.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 16:31   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastmanstanding View Post
I want to buy a Ducati Multistrada, but I am not able to extract even a clue, how to do that, called on the numbers given on ducati India, but no response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I would suggest you look around for a second hand bike or then if a dealer has one, then put your money down only when you see your bike physically or when you have the keys to the bike in your hand. Ducati dealerships are not trustworthy at all

The other option you can look at is the Aprilia bikes.
I agree and i would go further to suggest that you avoid the Ducati brand itself. Present owners are finding it difficult to get their bikes serviced and maintained. Sourcing parts from abroad is also a hassle due to customs and other complicated procedures.

Best to go with an established brand and ride with peace of mind.

Contact a few Ducati owners to get a first hand feedback on the ownership experience (there are quite a few here on the forum like jvh who has a monster 799, etc.) and then take your call.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 17:07   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtorque View Post
I dont want him to cancel the booking, after all he is my best friend (got it)?
I in-fact suggest you cancel you booking and get the full refund back. Going by the multiple instances of bad service, parts not available, no backup, no support from the dealer; you should get the hint that it might be be a peaceful ownership experience.
Old 11th October 2013, 17:18   #55
BHPian

@dipen the booking was cancelled long back. Had to involve police as the guy had do-what-you-want attitude. Its a sad scene for Ducati lovers who have money but cant buy the beauties.

There are some rumors that the Audi dealer in Pune has taken Ducati dealership and will open showrooms in the City. Waiting...
Old 2nd March 2014, 11:54   #56
BHPian

Lovely Ride. Do let us know how you are managing with the service.
Old 12th March 2014, 21:23   #57
BHPian

Went through your thread mate, stunning pictures on the first page. I remember going to the Ducati showroom in Malaysia and seeing this bike in flesh - and I always hoped to see one in India.

Hope you are enjoying your machine. Do give us an update on the after sales experience.
Old 13th March 2014, 15:45   #58
BHPian

Do you frequent the BP bunk right opposite (old) Nilgris on Avinashi Road? I've seen you a couple of times nearby the bunk, once with riders on gixxer & a CBR.
Old 2nd April 2015, 19:32   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
I have a Diavel Black (not the Carbon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Hi guys.
Gents, hope your rides are serving you well

A dear friend of mine is on the verge of booking a Diavel and needs to understand if devil only sips 97 Octane or 91 would suffice?

Considering the fact that there has been a change in the state of engine's tune for 2014-15, what are your thoughts on the fuel that needs to be fed to bike?

Appreciate your feedback!
Old 2nd April 2015, 19:47   #60
BHPian

Clearly says 97 on the tank. but I guess 91 with some additives would also work

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Gents, hope your rides are serving you well

A dear friend of mine is on the verge of booking a Diavel and needs to understand if devil only sips 97 Octane or 91 would suffice?

Considering the fact that there has been a change in the state of engine's tune for 2014-15, what are your thoughts on the fuel that needs to be fed to bike?

Appreciate your feedback!
53BHP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks