Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2015, 20:06   #61
BHPian

Re: Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
Clearly says 97 on the tank. but I guess 91 with some additives would also work
Thanks mate for a prompt response.. Bigger question is, for how long can one keeping additives? Specially if one goes for an inter-city ride.
Old 2nd April 2015, 20:09   #62
BHPian

Alok

For intercity you have no other choice but for additives. Unless you are going between Mumbai and Pune where you can fill on either end. My friend has a V8 BMW M3. He has been managing last 3 years like this

Cheers

R
53BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 21:13   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Gents, hope your rides are serving you well

A dear friend of mine is on the verge of booking a Diavel and needs to understand if devil only sips 97 Octane or 91 would suffice?

Considering the fact that there has been a change in the state of engine's tune for 2014-15, what are your thoughts on the fuel that needs to be fed to bike?

Appreciate your feedback!

Basically, almost all of the newer European bikes will have an option to remap the fuel grade from the dealership. Therefore, if Ducati is officially selling in India, I am sure this will be one of the first modifications they will do. Triumph & BMW are already doing it and remapping their bikes to take in the lower grade petrol in India. Its a simple procedure to plug it into their Diagnostic computer and re-program the ECU.
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 23:48   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Basically, almost all of the newer European bikes will have an option to remap the fuel grade from the dealership. Therefore, if Ducati is officially selling in India, I am sure this will be one of the first modifications they will do. Triumph & BMW are already doing it and remapping their bikes to take in the lower grade petrol in India. Its a simple procedure to plug it into their Diagnostic computer and re-program the ECU.
Triumph sure does the remap even for the CBUs, I have used regular/normal petrol on mine for 8.5k kms without any issues.

Though I am not sure whether Ducati is doing so. When I spoke to the salesperson, he did say only 97 and then a week later he mentioned to my friend that 91 is also okay but there was no mention of the remap
Old 3rd April 2015, 02:10   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Triumph sure does the remap even for the CBUs, I have used regular/normal petrol on mine for 8.5k kms without any issues.
Fear not about fuel and tell your friend to buy the bike already

Don't worry about fuel ratings at all. The specified rating is for specified output only. Else it will compensate.

Additives MIGHT help in knocking, if you have an older high compression engine. Current engines will retard automatically according to fuel.

It's a myth that octane boosters are required. They don't give you the same output as higher rated fuel. Like I said, they MIGHT stop knocking.

I haven't had any issues with any Indian fuel. I am at 10,000km odo. I do try to fill 97 as much as I can because I want max performance as much as I can get.

I would tell your friend to not even think twice. It's a great bike, it's at a Fantastic price now, and the company seems committed.

Cheers

Ride Safe.

Last edited by gthang : 3rd April 2015 at 02:27. Reason: Edit
gthang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 11:41   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Though I am not sure whether Ducati is doing so. When I spoke to the salesperson, he did say only 97 and then a week later he mentioned to my friend that 91 is also okay but there was no mention of the remap
Ask your friend to fill speed 93/91 from day one, incase if he finds 97 oct difficult to find. Triumph has calibrated the fuel to indian specs and only certain models can run on unleaded in the triumph range.

If he tries the unleaded fuel on the ducati..then he has a lot more money to spend later on. One does not need to remap the edu for fuel..its just the output will drop a little..neglegible with our city conditions. knocking is noticed only when one whacks open the throttle in the first..if risen sanely one would not even get a knock.

I do fill 97 octane all the time, but in an emergency situation i fill speed 93/91. I don't wait for the tank to go into reserve, but at the last bar is when i shall fill 7 or 8 litres of 93/91.
speedy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 13:25   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Fear not about fuel and tell your friend to buy the bike already
... I would tell your friend to not even think twice. It's a great bike, it's at a Fantastic price now, and the company seems committed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Ask your friend to fill speed 93/91 from day one, incase if he finds 97 oct difficult to find. Triumph has calibrated the fuel to indian specs and only certain models can run on unleaded in the triumph range.
Thanks gents for the inputs and feedback, they do help a lot as they come straight from the horse's mouth

And apologies for a delayed acknowledgment - had been away riding and camping in the lap of Himalayas over the long weekend with negligible internet access - what a bliss
Old 8th April 2015, 17:45   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Ducati ISN'T remapping its bikes. They suggested octane boosters along with normal petrol. A friend told me that normal petrol without octane boosters can seriously mess with the engine so be warned.
Old 9th April 2015, 09:24   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Ducati ISN'T remapping its bikes. They suggested octane boosters along with normal petrol. A friend told me that normal petrol without octane boosters can seriously mess with the engine so be warned.

We have 3 Diavels in our group, and some Multi's and Monsters. The 3 Diavels are at approx 17k, 12k, and 10k odo readings. We all use the fill 97 when we can policy, and have filled in other pumps regularly. None of the bikes have seen a drop of octane booster.

When should we start worrying about the engine getting messed up?

Does your friend have any firsthand knowledge about Ducati engine failure due to below 95RON fuel usage?

Or are you just putting out scary warnings as a good gesture?

Cheers
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 13:56   #70
BHPian

How much is the regular Diavel and Diavel Carbon on road now? Been eyeing this and the V Rod Night Rod for quite a while actually.

Two different ones but yeah want something exotic.
Old 28th May 2015, 14:54   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
How much is the regular Diavel and Diavel Carbon on road now?
The Diavel Dark (base) model is INR 16,66,976.00 on road Bombay.
The Carbon Red should be around INR 20 lacs (don't know the exact price).

Cheers
Old 11th June 2015, 11:58   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much is the regular Diavel and Diavel Carbon on road now? Been eyeing this and the V Rod Night Rod for quite a while actually.
There are three models of the Diavel. The Diavel, Diavel Carbon and Diavel Titanium. The base model is for Rs 16.7 lakhs on road Bombay. Carbon is for Rs 26 lakhs. something and the Titanium is over the Carbon price (was not interested in it so never asked the exact price).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
The Diavel Dark (base) model is INR 16,66,976.00 on road Bombay.

Cheers
Its a Rs 10 lakh difference between the two. If it was just a Rs 3 Lakh difference there would be many Carbon Diavels on the road.
speedy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 13:21   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much is the regular Diavel and Diavel Carbon on road now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Just checked..the Titanium is Rs 37 Lakhs ex showroom Bombay.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 13:59   #74
BHPian

Quote:
There are three models of the Diavel. The Diavel, Diavel Carbon and Diavel Titanium. The base model is for Rs 16.7 lakhs on road Bombay. Carbon is for Rs 26 lakhs. something and the Titanium is over the Carbon price (was not interested in it so never asked the exact price).

Its a Rs 10 lakh difference between the two. If it was just a Rs 3 Lakh difference there would be many Carbon Diavels on the road.
Quote:
Just checked..the Titanium is Rs 37 Lakhs ex showroom Bombay.
Damn! 37 lakes on road, are there even changes mechanically making that price tag that high or just the cosmetic changes?
Old 11th June 2015, 15:08   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The ex-showroom Bombay price for the Diavel Dark is INR 13.75 lakhs for which the on road cost works to INR 16.67 lakhs as I posted earlier.

The ex-showroom price for the Diavel Carbon Red is INR 16.89 lakhs, so I am assuming the on road Bombay price should be around INR 20 lakhs. There are two models in the Carbon range, the Red and White, maybe the ex-showroom and on road price for the Red and White is different. But, since the Carbon Red ex-showroom price is INR 16.89, I do not think the on road price would be INR 10 lakhs more than the ex-showroom.

I checked the Dark out when I took a test ride a week or so back. I am going to Ducati Mumbai again when the Monster 821 is available for a test, will check regarding the Carbon models.

Cheers.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks