Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2012, 22:42   #16
BHPian

Re: Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650

A True Blue machine!

Looks very masculine when compared to the 250.

When you say, the brakes are nothing to talk about, do you mean they have less bite or is normal for a bike in this category.

Congrats and Drive safe
Old 25th October 2012, 22:54   #17
rbp
BHPian

@aditya :- Thanks, I have already been in touch with Venkat for the first service. I will talk to him about the brakes.

@Narula :- Thanks, I have sent a msg to the 650 facebook moderators and it has been more than two weeks, no response yet.

A few snaps.

Odo.

Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650-dsc_9558.jpg

Average.
Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650-dsc_9559.jpg

The LED tail light.

Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650-dsc_9566.jpg

Last edited by rbp : 25th October 2012 at 22:55.
Old 25th October 2012, 23:44   #18
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
A True Blue machine!

Looks very masculine when compared to the 250.

When you say, the brakes are nothing to talk about, do you mean they have less bite or is normal for a bike in this category.

Congrats and Drive safe
Yes, less bite and no feel at all. I have been thinking of upgrading the brakes as mentioned by Aditya.
rbp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 15:56   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Yes, less bite and no feel at all. I have been thinking of upgrading the brakes as mentioned by Aditya.
Hi RBP,

The brakes are crap compared to the N250R, i have upgraded mine by changing the brake lines to Braided lines by Galfer and the pads changed to EBC HH performance, the difference is phenomenal.

By the way - i have changed the stock levers to Pazzo and they too enhance the whole experience (Just might be my thought)

PM me your name, i am on the 650R owners group too.
Speed-Freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 22:15   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Raghu on the 650. Its been quite a few times that we discussed about the upgrade every time we met. Finally you have it.

Happy for you sir.

By the way the torque is awesome on this bike.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 18:31   #21
BHPian

Congratulations RBP!

I'm keeping a keen eye on all the 2012 N650 threads here and on the other forum Reason being, I'm taking delivery very soon myself.

Keep us informed on the running-in and on the aftermarket bits that you splurge on
Here is my wishlist (compiled from speed_freak, gsferrari's exhaustive part additions!) :

Now:
R&G no cut frame sliders (9500/-)
Tank pad (~1500)
Swingarm spools (1600)
3M wet sprayable grease and universal lubricant.

Future:
Fender extender for the front
Sump guard (removable)
3M transparent protective film on tank and front fender
Aluminum radiator guard mesh
EBC HH Pro brake pads for the front calipers
Galfer braided SS brake line for the front brakes
Barnett clutch springs/ Bluridge Performance high-performance clutch springs
R&G Racing Fendor Eliminator / Tail Tidy
R&G Racing Micro LED indicators.
Rear cowl/luimoto seat cover
Sports bar + pazzo levers

I am seriously considering using the saree guard to fabricate a carrier for my bullet (in place of rear seat). Some cutting/welding will be needed, but it might just work! First things first though, let the damn bike come!

Sriku
sriku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 21:30   #22
BHPian

Congratulations Sriku.
I too have this bike & am happy with it.

I absolutely stick to the running in schedule suggested by kawasaki and have stuck to the manufacturers recommendation in every bike I have bought in my 25+ years of riding. I guess they know their machine
R&G makes great products and these sliders are good but not great. Actually I dont know how much a NO CUT slider will save as in how much force will the bracket sustain?? Naturally its installed in a jiffy & your fairing is not drilled. The cotton reels (swingarm spools) are also in my opinion too tiny to really save much. It does look cool though.
A radiator guard & a tank pad are a must have. Upgrading lines & pads are an option for me too but I will wait & check out someones bike that has these installed before I decide on them. Tail tidy looks cool but most guys I know go back to the OE fitting during the rains which is too much effort for me!! The luimoto seat over does not fit over existing seat RATHER it replaces the existing seat cover so its your call. I for one am happy with the seat.

A sports bar will change this brilliant riding posture so think hard before u opt for it. Have heard of guys having a bunch up of cabling with shorter/ sportier handlebars. In any case this is not a hyper super sport.

Lastly a piece of advice for all the Mumbai blokes buying this bike. PLEASE STICK TO PBK (Ghatkopar) for any accessories you need to install. The guy 'Alam' is really good. Very careful & gentle & knows exactly what he is doing as he is the only guy certified on the 650. The outlet is average and too cramped with too many bajaj bikes but the quality of the job is superb.

Rgds
dinyaar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 23:38   #23
BHPian

I'm too looking forward to taking delivery of the Greenie (hopefully next week)
As of now I've only got my hands on the R&G frame sliders, which I plan to get it installed sometime soon after I get the bike. PRS did not have any Cotton reels or clear tank pads in stock.
Old 1st November 2012, 01:50   #24
rbp
BHPian

Finally today I got the bike registered, the TR validity was ending today and I had to get her registered today. Had taken day off and when I woke up today morning was shocked to see the weather [raining non-stop since morning], finally had to ride her in the rain and I have to mention the front tyre has put a lot of mud on the radiator and the mud had dried due to heat and has stuck like glue to the radiator now. I was thinking of putting some water on the mud and removing the mud, any tips?. After today's ride I feel a radiator guard is a must have and I have to do something to the front fender to prevent it from throwing so much muck. The bike is dirty with mud all over her, I have to spend a couple of hours with her tomorrow. I was surprised to see moisture in one of the headlights, is this common, should it be reported?

I have booked her for the first service this sunday and hope to get a few accessories fitted. I have dropped the projector idea for now, I feel I should try OSRAM NB or Philips Extreme vision first. Any suggestions ?

@Sriku :- Thats an exhaustive list of accessories man .

@dinyaar :- Thanks for the tips you keep suggesting.
Old 1st November 2012, 08:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
I was surprised to see moisture in one of the headlights, is this common, should it be reported?

I have booked her for the first service this sunday and hope to get a few accessories fitted. I have dropped the projector idea for now, I feel I should try OSRAM NB or Philips Extreme vision first. Any suggestions ?
It is OK to have slight moisture build up in the lamps as there is a breather hole behind the bulbs from where moisture enters & departs. You will notice the same effect post a good wash. It will vanish after a few minutes.

I am off for my first service on Saturday to Auto Service in Banashankari, why don't you come in too? Venkat's team is god-sent for bikes like these.

I have Philips Xenons on my low beam and Extreme Vision on my high beam. Extreme Vision is good and much better than the stock halogens but then nothing comes close to the HID. I did not find the Osram's to be too impressive.
Old 1st November 2012, 11:21   #26
BHPian

I'm taking delivery this weekend from KTM Belgaum. I will be riding from Belgaum to Thane on Sunday (~550kms) on temporary registration. Soon as I reach Thane, I need to change oil/filter, tighten, clean and lube the chain and sprockets, check the hose clamps on all the radiator hoses, torque the engine mounting bolts and other bolts etc and wash the bike.
I know the Thane workshop can do these tasks, they service my Duke pretty well.
However, I'd like your opinions on the Vashi and Ghatkopar service centers. Can any of the Mumbai guys give me some contacts at these ASC's. And a review of their service as well.

Thanks,
Sriku
Old 1st November 2012, 11:54   #27
BHPian

Hi
RBP a bit of moisture is fine, no issues. RADIATOR guard is a must in my opinion. Short, sporty front fenders throw up a lot of muck on the radiator. Yes u can & should clean it BUT NEVER WITH A HARD BRUSH OR WITH HIGH WATER PRESSURE. Rather u can use a garden hose & gently spray the radiator (naturally when the bike is cool) and clean gently with a soft brush. All the muck will be off
One should be careful of the instrument cluster & the radiator in case one takes the bike to a service station/ pump for a wash. Naturally the bajaj guys know it all too well & are careful.

Sriku why would u get all that u mention above done after 550 kms of riding? Basically all this plus cleaning of the air filter is done in the first service at around a 1000 kms. U can check all this yourself without a problem. Expect a new chain to loosen. I recommend PBK ghatkopar as I know the chief mech there & I think he is great with the Ninja s.
Magnaspectre, apart from PRS u will good CLEAR tank pads at ULTIMATE AUTO IMPEX too. Its across A/C market at Tardeo. Saw some cool ones for the 650 by Puig in green/ black which u should check out. I have the R&G cotton reels (10 mm bolt if I am correct) and they cost 3K a set. Prs should have it and its for most Kawasaki s & the KTM duke.

Rgds
Old 1st November 2012, 12:38   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinyaar View Post
Hi
Sriku why would u get all that u mention above done after 550 kms of riding? Basically all this plus cleaning of the air filter is done in the first service at around a 1000 kms. U can check all this yourself without a problem. Expect a new chain to loosen. I recommend PBK ghatkopar as I know the chief mech there & I think he is great with the Ninja s.

Rgds
dinyaar,
After riding on the NH4 for 7 hours to get to Thane, the first service will become essential in my opinion. Plus, I would want to change oil/filter at the 600km mark in any case, irrespective of the 550km ride. Just something I've convinced myself is necessary, no science behind it.
I'll book an appt at Ghatkopar and get it done there. For warranty purposes, and to meet the ASC guys, it will be useful.

Thanks for the info,
Sriku
Old 1st November 2012, 13:06   #29
BHPian

Hi again
Fair enough Sriku.

I too changed the oil /filter & went 300V 10W 40 at around 500 kms but its not mandatory & one can push till 1000 kms. Basically the bike in my case had many heating / cooling cycles before the first oil change.

If making the switch to Motul please carry the 300V as the PBK outlets only stock 7100 in the 10W 40 grade. Either is OK actually( unless u are a crazy, finnicky bawa like me!!) . Contact Either Pravin or Alam and get the work done.

Actually the 15W 50 Motul should be a better grade at least for places like Mumbai but I doubt whether PBK would fill it as the directive is 10W 40.

Ride safe & congratulations once again.
Rgds
dinyaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 13:50   #30
BHPian

dinyaar, isnt 300V 100% synthetic?
I had planned to stay on a synth blend or mineral (OEM oil) until the 2-3000 kms mark, then make the switch to fully synthetic. Did the same for my Duke, and it is paying off.

Don't intend to make this a debate on synth vs mineral, there's enough of that floating on the interweb already!

For my information, what is the OEM oil the ASC uses?

and dinyaar, thanks for all the info

Sriku

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks