Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2012, 13:27   #16
BHPian

Re: Honda CBR500R - First Pics Leaked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
If these babies don't fire your engines then you should check out the Triumph Bonneville, its sure to get your RD wet dreams back. By next year you should also be able to get your hands on it (provided they stick to plan) for approx 5 lakhs.
Absolutely agree with you. Inspite of owning some wonderful big bikes over the years, I dearly miss my RD (I sold it in 1991 for Rs 15K). But now buying a RD at Rs 150K & then running in circles to find parts etc is not worth the effort.....So I also think a new Bonnie will be able to fill in some of that void for many of us who once rode the Raj-Yam in its prime (RD- thu hamesha Amar rahega) and still want something straight, classic & simple to ride, tour or simply sit & admire

Last edited by Haroon : 27th October 2012 at 13:28.
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 14:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajpv87 View Post
Some more pics from my end. Somehow the bike doesn't look beefy enough for an SBK. Guess we'll have to wait more pics.
500cc inline twin is not even supersports territory, let alone SBK. And since the same bike (atleast that's what it seems like) will also be available in naked and adventure tourer avatars, I wouldn't expect the 500R to perform like one too.

IMHO, this is more like a VFM street version for emerging markets rather than an out-n-out track ready supersports motorcycle. More like a bigger cousin of 250R rather than a smaller 600RR, to give a perspective.

P.S. This is fully based on the info that is currently floating on www. Please don't come kicking my butt if Honda decides to change engine configs and such.
Old 27th October 2012, 16:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
500cc inline twin is not even supersports territory, let alone SBK. And since the same bike (atleast that's what it seems like) will also be available in naked and adventure tourer avatars, I wouldn't expect the 500R to perform like one too.

IMHO, this is more like a VFM street version for emerging markets rather than an out-n-out track ready supersports motorcycle. More like a bigger cousin of 250R rather than a smaller 600RR, to give a perspective.

P.S. This is fully based on the info that is currently floating on www. Please don't come kicking my butt if Honda decides to change engine configs and such.
I didn't use the term SBK to mention a category or anything. Just to denote a high performance bike. My bad, shouldn't have used the term. I just meant it look similar to say a Ninja 250, and a 500cc bike looking as beefy as a 250cc is not a good thing.

And yes, I also believe it's gonna be marketed as a value offering along with 150R and 250R. 600RR and 1000RR shall cater to the buyers in higher end of spectrum.

Last edited by neerajpv87 : 27th October 2012 at 16:09.
Old 27th October 2012, 23:50   #19
BHPian

I can live with the looks, but a little disappointed with the power, if those are the final/accurate numbers. A Ninja 650 makes 71hp, which is around 109hp/litre, the CBR500 at 47 is under 100bhp/litre , though most comparable to the Ninja 650 than 250 in terms of state of tune to get horses from the given ccs.

It will be a while before these bikes even arrive in India , while I just got that mail from Bajaj reg 650 bookings .Bank balance why no catch up :-(
Old 5th November 2012, 19:29   #20
BHPian

http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/honda...cbr500-unveil/

"Honda has started a countdown on its official website, which points to a 12th November unveil for a range of motorcycles. The Japanese automaker will showcase the 500cc machines at the upcoming EICMA motorcycle show in Milan, which is open to the public from 15th to 18th November." - Motorbeam
Old 5th November 2012, 23:08   #21
Team-BHP Support

Looks suggest it to be an all rounder. Pleasing all, offending none. Jack of all trades & blah...

I don't think it will be in the garage of those who can own multiple Motorcycles.

What price point can one expect it to be launched?

That CBR-600F is a brilliant Motorcycle still.
Old 7th November 2012, 22:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajpv87 View Post
I didn't use the term SBK to mention a category or anything. Just to denote a high performance bike. My bad, shouldn't have used the term. I just meant it look similar to say a Ninja 250, and a 500cc bike looking as beefy as a 250cc is not a good thing.

And yes, I also believe it's gonna be marketed as a value offering along with 150R and 250R. 600RR and 1000RR shall cater to the buyers in higher end of spectrum.
Please do not go ballistic but if a twin cylinder 500 cc is a high performance bike then what is Hayabusa? Trust me, if you buy these bikes, you will ge bored within 3 months and you will put them up for sale. 250, 500 cc twin cylinders are excuse for an SBK. I would recommend anyone to save until you have enough and then go buy a real bike. A Hayabusa or ZX14R. They are at the top of the heap. The fastest standard production title stops here. Some may say what use is all this power of when you can't take it to limits. Well you can't take Ferrari or Lambo to its limit either but that hasn't lessened its desirability one bit. It is the high that you get when you own an exotic car or bike that makes all the difference.
Old 8th November 2012, 20:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Please do not go ballistic but if a twin cylinder 500 cc is a high performance bike then what is Hayabusa? Trust me, if you buy these bikes, you will ge bored within 3 months and you will put them up for sale. 250, 500 cc twin cylinders are excuse for an SBK. I would recommend anyone to save until you have enough and then go buy a real bike. A Hayabusa or ZX14R. They are at the top of the heap. The fastest standard production title stops here. Some may say what use is all this power of when you can't take it to limits. Well you can't take Ferrari or Lambo to its limit either but that hasn't lessened its desirability one bit. It is the high that you get when you own an exotic car or bike that makes all the difference.
Strong words buddy! People in Kerela have Dubai money, people in Punjab have agriculture money, people in Gujrat have Stock market money, a lot of folks in Delhi/Mumbai are rich due to flourishing businesses, a few rich folks here and there apart, India is still a medium income country.

What I mean to say is one will consider a bike as per one's budget. There are a lot of folks out there who can buy 250 - 500 cc bikes (coz of the lower price range), but will hesitate to put a lot of moolah in an SBk. What about all those folks? Though I get what your'e saying, there's no harm in having partial fun by paying a fraction of the price of an SBK. Those who can afford an SBK, will still get them (and they should, too!).

How many folks who buy SBKs do not have rich dads? Should the SBK club be limited to folks who have rich dads?

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 8th November 2012 at 20:26.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 21:23   #24
BHPian

Quote:
With all due respect sir motorcycling is not all about power. I do agree that power is never enough but a bit more at times could lead to indigestion

Well here are my 2 cents about bigger powerful but impractical bikes (Most might not agree, but I might prefer a low on cc bike even though I can afford a bigger one)-

- Bigger the engine more the heat especially in stop go traffice. Makes it impractical not only for everyday use but also for leisure drives.
- Bigger bikes means more weight, and these bulkier bikes are not really suited for track usage also.

So, what will you do with a 1000+ cc bike which is neither track nor road oriented. I live in the center of city so taking it to the highway only will kill the passion out of me. You won't believe but I have seen people loving there Ninja 250R with odometer reading of 30K plus but yet to come across a high power 1000 CC bike with odo reading even 1/3rd of it.

These bikes are in resale market with odo reading of few thousand kilometers, i mean 2nd hand, 3rd hand, 4th hand, aged only in terms of registration date. So people sell them without much of a ride and move on. I call it INFATUATION.

I love biking but would not want to restrict myself for a particular highway or road. So for me a 250, 650 perfectly solve the purpose, fits in budget too and I can ride it whenever i wish, wherever I wish. For me biking relates to freedom not concerns.

Well even in western world where roads are more conducive to bikes, I have seen people coming down from ZXr,s and settling at 600 ranges. Most have couple of bikes to satisfy their track, twisties and drag apetite.

Is this the WINGS I am taking about. Common Honda- give us the CBR 500R

Regards,
Maddy
Passiautonate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 21:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some may say what use is all this power of when you can't take it to limits.
That's like saying I have a super model girlfriend and I'm impotent .. But so what?

If one has money to buy a bike that does not mean that they should go ahead and buy *unless* its all for show and no go!

Motorcycling is not about 'owning' bike, its about riding it. What will you do with a ZX14 or a Hayabusa when you need to brake from 300 Kmph because a cow jumped in your path.

I'd really like to know the kind of roads you ride on in India that you'd get bored of a 500cc bike.

What high will a exotic give if you have keep it parked in your garage all the time or just ride to the nearest coffee shop and park it there for people to see. There's a specific term for that and they are called 'Posers', they aren't bikers! There are very very few people in the country who even take these 'exotics' out of the cities they live in!

These 250/500/650cc bikes are what are sensible for most of our roads! Heck my 5 years desi bike keeps me excited even today for the kind of roads I ride on.

Last edited by praful : 8th November 2012 at 22:02.
Old 8th November 2012, 23:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
That's like saying I have a super model girlfriend and I'm impotent .. But so what?

If one has money to buy a bike that does not mean that they should go ahead and buy *unless* its all for show and no go!

Motorcycling is not about 'owning' bike, its about riding it. What will you do with a ZX14 or a Hayabusa when you need to brake from 300 Kmph because a cow jumped in your path.

I'd really like to know the kind of roads you ride on in India that you'd get bored of a 500cc bike.

What high will a exotic give if you have keep it parked in your garage all the time or just ride to the nearest coffee shop and park it there for people to see. There's a specific term for that and they are called 'Posers', they aren't bikers! There are very very few people in the country who even take these 'exotics' out of the cities they live in!

These 250/500/650cc bikes are what are sensible for most of our roads! Heck my 5 years desi bike keeps me excited even today for the kind of roads I ride on.
Posers? Let us be honest. We all are, to some or the other extent. You and I are not billionnaires right now but if we lay our hands on big money, trust me, you would and I would, too, rush to the nearest Ferrari or Lambo or whatever dealer to pick up a set of whichever wheels we fancy. The fact that you live in inner-city won't come in your way then. They say we buy cars for our neighbours, I mean to impress others. Your peers, your girlfriend etc. For just travelling from point A to B, a basic hatch or sedan is enough.

The kind of roads and cows crossing do not deter people from buying exotic cars, IF they can. 300 kph and cow popping up? Well no body does 300 kph on our roads. Why 300, even 80 kph is way too fast on our roads. I own Honda Activa which can go upto 80 kph. So, even that is too dangerous I think. And lastly, just as you call Hayabusa unsuitable for our roads, a 100 cc biker thinks 500/600 cc bikes are meaningless. It is all relative.

About impotency and super models, no comment. You seem to know more about them.

Last edited by pgsagar : 8th November 2012 at 23:34. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 9th November 2012, 00:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

^^ Yea sure if I had the big money I would buy an exotic and use it all the places where it isn't mean to be used.

But 95% of the country is not going land that big money, so until that day becomes a reality I'd be happy paying for practical machines which are more sensible for our road infrastructure and makes more sense on the pockets too.

So I don't see how your getting bored in 3 months comment holds given that you may have money today, but where is the infrastructure to enjoy which will necessitates such a short attention life span.

PS: The super model thing was an example, don't take it personally
Old 9th November 2012, 12:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

Folks,
Guess we are getting off topic, each to his own on his choices instead of making statements with mass appeal which will be controversial.

Owning a liter class bike is an entirely different feeling, riding a liter bike right on its threshold of delivery knowing the thought that one twist and you will be hurtling down to nearly 200kays is a feeling that cannot be explained.
Having said that, buying a SBK is not the only thing, you ought to keep an eye on the cost(maintenance & running) along with its practicality.

How often do you see a liter class bike on unknown roads & single lanes?

The CB500 would be a good attempt, will find buyers who look for that extra zip and would not be surprised to find many CB250 Owners upgrading to it. Honda has created a strong sect of followers by launching the CB 250 and they will lap up these bikes initially.

How it sells laters on after the initial bubble depends on the feedback & its performance.

People who prefer a straight street should be looking more at roadsters which at this moment is in very nascent stages. Only model that would truly qualify is the Triumph Bonneville which is now pushed to Q-2, 2013. (HD has a few models but are they practical with their expense & maintenance). Hopefully we get to see some more model in this segment which should motivate people who have willing better halves to get back to motorcycling world.

PS: RD 350 is a Roadster and would not want to consider this as a tourer simply because of its seating position and angle it requries. More of a urban street bike which again borders on jack of all trades.
Old 9th November 2012, 23:22   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A Hayabusa or ZX14R. They are at the top of the heap. The fastest standard production title stops here.
To tell you the truth, neither the ZZR-1400 or the Hayabusa is the fastest production Motorcycle. They are close, but aren't the fastest.

For the detractors, here you go :
Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
I thought I was kidding myself, but I honestly don't feel the urge to upgrade any more. Maybe as said by pgsagar, once I have spare $$$

Quote:
Posers? Let us be honest. We all are, to some or the other extent. You and I are not billionnaires right now but if we lay our hands on big money..............For just travelling from point A to B, a basic hatch or sedan is enough.
I recall a comment by a celeb, a responsible one at that. He had an Aston V12 and was quizzed about its usage.

He said, I take pride in the fact that I own & drive this & know what my car can do. Doesn't necessarily mean I would go out and try this.

Yes, as you become rich, your preference changes, but you would still be driving/riding cautiously and you would know which Car is fun to pilot in these conditions. And most would employ a chauffeur in an extended long wheelbase Car and drive a Sports Car on track, or Saturday Nights/Sunday Mornings.

Quote:
The kind of roads and cows crossing do not deter people from buying exotic cars, IF they can. 300 kph and cow popping up? Well no body does 300 kph on our roads. Why 300, even 80 kph is way too fast on our roads. I own Honda Activa which can go upto 80 kph. So, even that is too dangerous I think. And lastly, just as you call Hayabusa unsuitable for our roads, a 100 cc biker thinks 500/600 cc bikes are meaningless. It is all relative.
A Hayabusa would be safer @ 80kmph. Because (in a hypothetical situation), you spot a cow and it starts to walk down, you would do better than accelerating out of this situation & braking wouldn't be a hairy experience as well.

+1 to ku69rd There are bikes for everyone, as per ones preference, budget etc. If you don't like this upcoming bike (the specs aren't out BTW, don't downplay it). No one has put a gun at your forehead and asking you to put the $$$ down.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 10th November 2012 at 18:16. Reason: Fixing issue with video embed.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 17:36   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You and I are not billionnaires right now but if we lay our hands on big money, trust me, you would and I would, too, rush to the nearest Ferrari or Lambo or whatever dealer to pick up a set of whichever wheels we fancy.
Buying an exotic does not make one a poser, the flooring it in first gear to deafen everyone on the street and around, and the lack of ability to do that same in fourth, fifth and sixth that makes you one
manson is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks