I'm 5'4"ish and ride bikes with these mods! No problems
Okay cool, thanks.

Regards,
G D
Old 3rd March 2013, 13:38   #32
BHPian

Re: A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India

Harley's forgotten GEM!

There was an absolutely fabulous bike in Harley's India line up that unfortunatley didn't see the numbers - for one reason! We all think of Harleys as just laid back cruisers. Many of us forget the fact that when it comes to Dirt track racing, Harley is untouchable!

Ask any long term Harley enthusiast on his opinion of the best Harley ever built; the answer from every corner would be the mighty XR 750. One look at that mother of an engine with exhaust headers exiting from the front of each cylinder and two giant barrels that pose like air filters is enough! XXX on wheels!

A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India-xr750_1.jpg

A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India-xr750_2.jpg

The modern-day version of the XR is no slouch either! She really moves; the only dampener is that Harley played it safe by using the same basic mill from the sportsters; had they turned around the rear cylinder and got the exhaust out front - it would have been a real XR! The engine is mighty torquey, it's got Buell internals, clutch and an uprated cooling system.

This bike begs to be given the gas and thrown into every corner and every hump on the road! Suspension is so good; you will start searching for humps and crests and the longest twisties. Well! you may argue that Ducatis and Jap bikes go faster in these conditions; but i feel..nothing will be as barking mad as an XR. It will simply leave you with the biggest grin a Harley can ever give. The stock XR1200 doesn't fire you up when stationary - unlike other Harleys can. But add a Vance&Hines competition exhaust and watch - Piped thunder! That's what comes out of those bada$$ pipes!

A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India-xr750_3.jpg

This is how an XR should be treated!

A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India-xr750_4.jpg

Beg, borrow, steal - Take a ride on the XR! Pity, you cant buy one off the shelves anymore. H-D India should have been a little more patient & launched a one make XR race series; can't imagine how much of an image booster that would have been. Anyways' for now think begging, borrowing, stealing...
josepeter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 13:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasen View Post
Hi josepeter this is a very informative article. Since you are already a owner of a Superlow I thought I will take some clarifications from you. Last monthI took a test ride of the Superlow and liked it immediately.In Kolkata the on road price is 6.5 Lacs and another1 lac will be need for the accessories No engine mods though. Just adding pillion seat, pillon back rest, leg guard, pllion footpegs, tank locks, horn. At Rs.7.50 Lacs I will be seriously stretched to buy this one. Now I have few questions on the practicality of this bike.

Looking forward for your advise.
I guess normal petrol would do : do correct me josepeter.

Getting premium petrol at Trivandrum too is getting tough! :(

Few more queries.

Can a superlow take a pillion without the seat change?
Is there any mod required if one is using it for daily ride?

What are the must have mod for regular use?

And, I see an upgrade of your Harley soon
Old 3rd March 2013, 14:32   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I guess normal petrol would do : do correct me josepeter.

Getting premium petrol at Trivandrum too is getting tough! :(

Few more queries.

Can a superlow take a pillion without the seat change?
Is there any mod required if one is using it for daily ride?

What are the must have mod for regular use?

Normal Petrol is just fine. It's a pushrod 2 valve twin afterall!

Pillion seat is an add-on. No seat change.

Must have mods : None!

If you still insist; i would go for the wants rather than needs. A loud exhaust would be on top of the list, followed by some chrome bits!
josepeter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 19:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

There was never the Harley XR750 in the lineup. It was always the XR1200. Had they offered the 750 in a stripped out trim at a real low cost it would have been a great thrashing bike for off roads. But alas we off roaders don't have a single bike for this. The typical low end torque from these twins would have been the ideal toy to slide the rear end all over the place. Sadly the 1200 is much more expensive for anyone to first convert it into an offroad machine and then thrash it.
Old 4th March 2013, 15:45   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

wait for my article and post on the Upgrade of the Superlow to Super Glide... its in the assembly section today, waiting the posting by a Moderator.
-KD.
Old 4th March 2013, 21:25   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
There was never the Harley XR750 in the lineup. It was always the XR1200. Had they offered the 750 in a stripped out trim at a real low cost it would have been a great thrashing bike for off roads. But alas we off roaders don't have a single bike for this. The typical low end torque from these twins would have been the ideal toy to slide the rear end all over the place. Sadly the 1200 is much more expensive for anyone to first convert it into an offroad machine and then thrash it.

The XR 1200 that used to be sold here actually demonstrates the versatility of the sportster platform. Its not too difficult to convert an 883 mill to XR specs; Buell thunderstorm head conversion and a cylinder kit will get you there. Well; all this will be common place in a few years time I hope!
Old 5th March 2013, 01:41   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
Thanks Mate!

About the Fatboy! We are all in the same boat mate! Yet to see a biker not lusting after one...and don't really know why anyone would sell one; unless they are leaving the country or similar
Hi Jose! It's all over the news now! Fat boy for 15 lacs now... fat boy it is for me then! I just have 2 problems

1. I live in Indore, Madhya Pradesh. Nearest dealer in Ahmedabad is 400km, but I am planning to buy it from Delhi(850 km) as my uncle can get me some good deal. Will the Ahmedabad guys offer the 1st three free services?

2. How do I get a finance in Indore?
Old 5th March 2013, 15:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustus23 View Post
Hi Jose! It's all over the news now! Fat boy for 15 lacs now... fat boy it is for me then! I just have 2 problems

1. I live in Indore, Madhya Pradesh. Nearest dealer in Ahmedabad is 400km, but I am planning to buy it from Delhi(850 km) as my uncle can get me some good deal. Will the Ahmedabad guys offer the 1st three free services?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...on-prices.html

Finance for bikes is too costly I guess. Do check. This is from my experience,
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 21:00   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustus23 View Post

Congrats! Fatboy is a stupendous bike.

The dealer in Ahmedabad is quite friendly and helpful; you can talk to him for financing options. They would already have tie-ups with financing companies.

There are no free services with the bike. Service intervals are at 1600, 8000 and 16000 kms.
josepeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 21:20   #41
BHPian

@josepeter

Brilliant thread! I myself fell in love with the Iron 883 when I rode it in Hyderabad. Such an easy bike to ride around town. Didn't quite enjoy the Street Bob though. Would love to catch up with you on a ride someday! The HD looks killer!
Motormania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 21:48   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are no free services with the bike. Service
intervals are at 1600, 8000 and 16000 kms.
After reading this thread i have started dreaming about owning a HD
One thing i wanted to know, how much does a regular service costs and also the spare and all are they easily available.
I think it might not be possible for most of people like us to own a high end car , but i guess we can surely own a bike like a HD one day for sure.

I hope this thread becomes a bible for all HD related stuff .
Cheers

Last edited by Schoudhury : 5th March 2013 at 21:54.
Old 6th March 2013, 06:04   #43

Quote:
Congrats! Fatboy is a stupendous bike.

The dealer in Ahmedabad is quite friendly and helpful; you can talk to him for financing options. They would already have tie-ups with financing companies.

There are no free services with the bike. Service intervals are at 1600, 8000 and 16000 kms.
But I intend to buy from Delhi! Will the Ahmedabad dealer help out with the servicing?
Old 6th March 2013, 06:22   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
After reading this thread i have started dreaming about owning a HD
One thing i wanted to know, how much does a regular service costs and also the spare and all are they easily available.
I think it might not be possible for most of people like us to own a high end car , but i guess we can surely own a bike like a HD one day for sure.

I hope this thread becomes a bible for all HD related stuff .
Cheers
According to my uncle,who owns a road king, it is around 7-8k per service. But then,it is only after intervals of 8000 kms.
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India-securedownload-2.jpeg  

augustus23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 09:38   #45
BHPian

Probably I will stir a debate here.

After a lot of discussion at home, I decided to go for a HD. Have owned multiple RE's in the past and currently have one too.

So I went to the HD India site and provided my details and the name of the model I am interested in.

Promptly an automated response came that the concerned HD Dealer will get in touch with me.

The next day, again promptly, I get a mail enclosed below. There was no call from the dealer nor an offer to call or any interest shown to follow up.

And I lost interest completely and dropped the idea. Perhaps I will use the money saved by dropping the decision to upgrade my proposed car purchase to a Freelander/Q5.

Not sure if it is the same for other cities. But I prefer a little pre-sales follow-up. Even a mass-seller like Maruti does that. And premium brands like Germans do that.

Here is the mail I got.

"Greeting’s from XXXXX Harley-Davidson, Bangalore.

We look forward for having a long lasting relationship with you.

Please find the enclosed attachments of Harley Davidson price list and product brochure link.

http://www.harley-davidson.in/harley...s-brochure.pdf

Please feel free to call or write to us for any further assistance. "

Mods: Kindly delete if you find the content in-appropriate. I am just sharing my experience and views. No offense meant to anyone. Thanks
nareshtrao is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks