Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2015, 14:07   #76
BHPian

Re: A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat View Post
All the members of the forum.

I was told by the dealership that if I went for V&H, my warranty would be void. However, this is contrary to what other HD dealers (Dubai, US, UK) say. They happily endorse V&H.

Has anyone in the NCR area fixed V&H to their HD? What has been the impact on the performance of the bike? And how does (if at all) it affect your warranty?

Cheers,
Saurabh
Congrats Saurabh. Welcome to the HOG.

Here in the Cochin dealership they type a letter saying that the customer wants to install VH exhaust on his bike and that he/she understands that it is not covered under warranty. This letter is signed by the customer and they keep a copy of it.

As far as performance is concerned, if you only change the exhaust there will only be a minor bump up on performance. But there is a significant bump up on oomph and drama. And the VH slipons I have are far far lighter than the stock ones. Atleast by a few kg.

If you want a significant improvement on performance then I suggest you get a new Air cleaner and a fuel management chip and a engine retune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyu_singh View Post

Yeah man, SE are not that great when it comes to V&H's thump. I myself am in the same dilemma as i want to get the V&H staggered short shots for my superlow. So this is what the gurgaon dealership told me, "You can get the V&H from us itself and it wont void the warranty, but if something happens there would be an investigation to determine the cause. If V&H is the cause then you'll not get the warranty." We all know what this actually means. So as of now I'm just waiting for the warranty to get over.
Please go for the VH. Warranty will be void regardless of getting from the dealer or you get it yourself from elsewhere.

Yes you are correct. If any problem occurs to the VH exhaust itself or as a result of fixing it then no warranty. But suppose you develop a problem with your headlights or battery, which are in no way related to the exhaust then you can claim warranty.
Old 16th January 2015, 14:37   #77
Senior - BHPian

Just go the VnH way brothers! You will not regret and you will not be harassed by the Service folks for going the VnH way. Just ensure that the VnH's are installed at the dealers/by the dealer/which was got "for the dealer"
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 14:48   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Just go the VnH way brothers! You will not regret and you will not be harassed by the Service folks for going the VnH way. Just ensure that the VnH's are installed at the dealers/by the dealer/which was got "for the dealer"
Agreed!
The SE exhausts are too sedate off late!

Shubz,
Does anyone in the Blr chapter have VnH Short Shots on their Hd Iron's?

And has there been any trouble from the police about them? There was talk of a crackdown on loud, modified silencers but im not sure if the VnH fall in that category?
Old 16th January 2015, 14:55   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
Agreed!
The SE exhausts are too sedate off late!

Shubz,
Does anyone in the Blr chapter have VnH Short Shots on their Hd Iron's?

And has there been any trouble from the police about them? There was talk of a crackdown on loud, modified silencers but im not sure if the VnH fall in that category?
Yes we have Short Shorts, Big radius etc on HD Irons in our group. Crackdown -- I haven't come across any major drive in the city. Folks usually get away with the "Imported Bike, its like that vonnnly" alibi. The cops usually snare the RX's the Activa's The Kinetic hondas who make a racket with guys on the streets.
Old 16th February 2015, 16:10   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I think silencers should be VH ones. You 'might' end up putting more holes or so with SE silencers because they might not be loud enough. Please do listen to one and decide.

In case one needs to claim insurance and they find that you had a pillion, cant they make you ineligible for claiming it coz bike is registered as a single seater? I am not sure and hence would appreciate clarity on this.
I've decided on the 1200 upgrade and a V&H short shots to go with it. Its just a matter of me coming up with additional $$$

On the insurance thing, i dont think it would be an issue as under "Type of body" it says "Solo with Pillion". In addition, under "seat capacity" it says "2" :edit so does my RC. Therefore I guess they wont have that point anymore then. I have insurance from ICICI.

Last edited by abhimanyu_singh : 16th February 2015 at 16:12. Reason: added RC info
Old 17th February 2015, 11:27   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've decided on the 1200 upgrade and a V&H short shots to go with it. Its just a matter of me coming up with additional $$$

On the insurance thing, i dont think it would be an issue as under "Type of body" it says "Solo with Pillion". In addition, under "seat capacity" it says "2" :edit so does my RC. Therefore I guess they wont have that point anymore then. I have insurance from ICICI.
1200 upgrade would make your bike illegal here in India. because your RC has 883 cc as the capacity Having said that, its not that nobody has gone the 1200 way.

But don't you think you should just ride, ride and ride for now?
Old 17th February 2015, 12:05   #82
BHPian

Quote:
1200 upgrade would make your bike illegal here in India. because your RC has 883 cc as the capacity Having said that, its not that nobody has gone the 1200 way.

But don't you think you should just ride, ride and ride for now?
Yes sir, the plan is to ride, ride and ride some more The Delhi-hyderabad solo trip was nothing less than awesome (1740kms in 4 days). My back passed the stress test with flying colors, now I can safely do long rides. Now that the HOG is here, whole South India is on my radar, starting with Bangalore

On the other hand, the 1200 upgrade will take more than a year for me. Also I know that the 1200 upgrade would make it illegal, but would the cops/insurance companies ever find out in terms of an accidental claim? Warranty is another issue altogether, which would be void with V&H anyways.
Old 17th February 2015, 15:51   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the other hand, the 1200 upgrade will take more than a year for me. Also I know that the 1200 upgrade would make it illegal, but would the cops/insurance companies ever find out in terms of an accidental claim? Warranty is another issue altogether, which would be void with V&H anyways.
I still don't understand why would getting VnH at the dealers would void warranty. I know they do make us all sign an indemnity form saying warranty void. But they do support and fix within warranty scope as long as you haven't done anything extra outside.
Old 12th March 2015, 04:19   #84
BHPian

Hey guys, need an advise... today I have seen a Harley 48 for sale. 2012 Sep Mafc and 2013 Feb bought. Odo shows as 17K kms.. Bike doesnt have any accessories except rear seat and foot pegs. He is gonna sell me for 6.5 inclusive of a new battery. Todays price of 48 onroad is around 10.75 and I need your valuable advice for this. Paint and Shine are maintained well. Had 3 services in the showroom only. Not even a single scratch of single fall till date. Let me know
Old 12th March 2015, 11:39   #85
BHPian

What engine does the Breakout have. Is it the same as the Fat Boy or do the CVO bikes have a different engine altogether.
Old 12th March 2015, 12:15   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
What engine does the Breakout have. Is it the same as the Fat Boy or do the CVO bikes have a different engine altogether.
The braekout has the same engine as Fatboy.

The CVO comes with 110 CI engines
Old 12th March 2015, 13:02   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejith.j View Post
The braekout has the same engine as Fatboy.

The CVO comes with 110 CI engines
The Breakout is from the CVO division right.

Do you mean that there are 3 different engines across the range available in India? The 883, the bigger twins (Don't know how big they are 1600? someone correct me if i'm wrong) and another for the CVO series?
Old 12th March 2015, 13:16   #88
BHPian

Quote:

Do you mean that there are 3 different engines across the range available in India? The 883, the bigger twins (Don't know how big they are 1600? someone correct me if i'm wrong) and another for the CVO series?
Breakout is a Softail. 883/1200 evolution engine for sportsters, Dynas and Softails have the Big Twin 1600 twin cam engines though not identical, and the Touring models have the CVO engine. Apart from that there are the Liquid Cooled engines for the V Rod family, and the 750cc Street Revolution engine.
The US has more options such as 96 and 103 cubic inch engines for Dynas etc.
Correct me if i'm wrong, this is all from memory.
KhalDrogo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 15:08   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There are 6 types
Sportster - Iron/Superlow/48 etc 93 CI range
Dyna - Street Bob / Fat bob etc - 96 CI range (for India)
Softails - Fat Boy, Breakout, Heritage Softail, (103 CI)
V-Rod - Night rod et al (Surprisingly 76 CI)
Touring - Road kings / Street Glides etc. (103 CI)
CVO - 109.9 CI

Basically 5 series. I hope I am right
Old 12th March 2015, 16:32   #90
BHPian

Quote:
There are 6 types
Sportster - Iron/Superlow/48 etc 93 CI range
Dyna - Street Bob / Fat bob etc - 96 CI range (for India)
Softails - Fat Boy, Breakout, Heritage Softail, (103 CI)
V-Rod - Night rod et al (Surprisingly 76 CI)
Touring - Road kings / Street Glides etc. (103 CI)
CVO - 109.9 CI

Basically 5 series. I hope I am right
Oops totally forgot about the Revolution engines.

Was basically contemplating on whether to buy a big bike and what the possibilities would be. The actual buying is a couple of years away
Once I buy I wouldn't want to upgrade so hadn't considered the Street or the Sportsters.

Have ridden an Iron and a Fat Boy and was blown apart by the FatBoy.

Time and my ability to save up will tell. Hoping its soon though.

Thanks all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks