Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2014, 22:23   #61
BHPian

Re: A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India

Thanks Mate!

Going strictly by HOG rules, one becomes a member of the local chapter by default when an "unregistered" Harley is bought from the sponsoring dealer. But the HOG scene in India taking it's baby steps now; the owner of a pre-owned HD is most likely to be a full HOG member. You can join the HOG chapter by paying yearly charges anyways.

Yes My bobber is based on a superlow; all details on all mods are on t-bhp in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamrajagopal View Post
Josepeter, Superb article written with so much passion... i can see the passion for the Harley's, would request you to reply to my message... planning to buy a 2nd had Superlow, would like to know if i can still be a part of the HOG inspite of buying a 2nd hand HD.

And are all the pictures your modifications done to the Superlow? if so the Motorcycle looks great!!!

Warm Regards
Gautam R
Old 8th January 2014, 22:46   #62
BHPian

Congrats Augustus! You have one lust worthy motorcycle round the corner. Well! see you in IBW.

Helmet choices are huge and cover every price range! From a 3600 $ Arai carbon lid to a humble 2000 INR Agv lid. All of them work ( except the very cheap helmet-like creations); but never be on the saddle without one!

Here are some of my bad boys..

An Agv, half face costing under 2K INR that i use to ride incognito.

A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India-img_0537.jpg

An H-D flames hybrid that has good ventilation

A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India-img_0535.jpg

This custom H-D badboy when I feel wicked.

A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India-img_0534.jpg

And this wild one i tour with. This is the only full face I have and i love it. It's a full carbon helmet made by Bieffe and sold in India by Steelbird. Its superlight and a bargain at 12K INR. The shark fins are non-standard and totally bada$$.

A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India-img_0538.jpg

And no helmet is complete without a wicked sticker like the one below adorning my tourer

A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India-img_0539.jpg
josepeter is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 20:17   #63
Senior - BHPian

Got to tick off an entry in my bucket list today and it was the first one- to RIDE A HARLEY DAVIDSON!!!!
HD always fascinated me right from childhood and I never thought I could ride one until they came to India and even then I didnt know they would let random guys a test ride until a friend did last year when he was bike shopping.
I forgot about it since I rarely go towards Lavelle road although the showroom is located right in front of a relatives house .
Today being a special day, I wanted to feel good, so I headed there fully kitted with jeans and shoes, since the last time I missed out a ride since I was in floaters.

The person who attended me was the same chap who was Shubz advisor, forgot his name. Must say he is up there in customer service. It was the second time I was interacting with him and he was more than couertous. Thanks man.
Anyway, the actual reason behind the showroom visit was the Street 750 which I am seriously contemplating. They do not have much details or maybe withholding it, but its all here anyway.
There were few bikes with the aftermarket exhausts and listening them is a treat in itself.what the service advizor told me is true, that gew months after riding the smaller HD's, you will want to go for the big boys and the 883 looks puny jn comparison.
I am dreaming big now, I'll be more than satisfied with the Street 750 if I get one.
Coming back to the test ride, it was a new Iron 883 which had a gold paint something similar or same to Shubz bike. Was given the instructions and thumbed the starter and it roared to life. What a feeling! The bike for me..
The clutch play was less and I was told not to use half clutch which was not possible anyway. The moment I let the clutch release, it was like I was pulled hard, what torque!
A hard clunk to second and it continues. I could hit just 50 and upto 3rd gear , but this is not a sports bike to go fast to know things, I was happy.
The idling was the fun part. The muted exhaust note and the slight roar when acclerating had me hooked already,. This is the first V twin I rode, the other being parallel twins and fours and the V is special , especially on a HD.
Rode for around 5 kms and the advisor was answering all my questions in between answering all the road users as well at signals.
Now I know why HD doesnt calculate the bhp, its not important, its all about the torque! Just like when I first drove a jeep, oodles of torque.
I always knew when I first fell in love with the Enfield, that these are the type of bikes for me, and hopefully I'll be on one soon!

Last edited by tharian : 10th January 2014 at 20:19.
tharian is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 14:34   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

The person who attended me was the same chap who was Shubz advisor, forgot his name. Must say he is up there in customer service. It was the second time I was interacting with him and he was more than couertous. Thanks man.
Anyway, the actual reason behind the showroom visit was the Street 750 which I am seriously contemplating. They do not have much details or maybe withholding it, but its all here anyway.
There were few bikes with the aftermarket exhausts and listening them is a treat in itself.what the service advizor told me is true, that gew months after riding the smaller HD's, you will want to go for the big boys and the 883 looks puny jn comparison.
I am dreaming big now, I'll be more than satisfied with the Street 750 if I get one.
Coming back to the test ride, it was a new Iron 883 which had a gold paint something similar or same to Shubz bike. Was given the instructions and thumbed the starter and it roared to life. What a feeling! The bike for me..
........I'll be on one soon!
Welcome to the fold! A couple of things

His name is Naganandan. A young Automobile Engg graduate from Dayanand sagar college. Very enthusiastic and Very helpful. Always with a smile and ready to answer customers.

Second - the color is Amber Whiskey - with a red temp regn plate and is not golden. This is the bike they are using as a Demo/Test ride bike.
Shubz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 18:16   #65
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Its exciting times for all prospective Harley Owners looking at the new launches! I Have been wanting to buy an Harley for quit some time now. Its been more than a year since I first rode a Harley (Iron 883 mainly) and fell in love with it! Since then wanting to buy one for a daily use but most people have been discouraging me for using the Harley for Office use, Stating that it would heat up a lot in Bangalore's stop and go traffic, hard suspension etc etc. I would be taking it on long rides as well but daily use? Has always been a question mark . Hence since the time I test rode till today, I ended up buying 2 cars and everytime I booked a Car my heart always said Harley! My recent Car is the POLO GT TSI which is going for registration as I write this!! So its clear that my senses say car My heart says Harley! …. Neways the reason for giving this build up is the News of HD Street 750. I read it’s a Liquid cooled V Twin engine and India Specific Suspension. Also easy on the pocket (4.1L Ex Show Room is killer) . So now I want opinions from already HD owners what do you think of this new bike and should I Buy it once it releases? Will it be a good everyday use and occasional cruiser? Or will it be Over Kill for city and under spec for Cruising? Need you views!
Old 4th March 2014, 12:42   #66
BHPian

Owning a Harley Davidson was one of my childhood's dream and its high time i got one. I had a spinal surgery last year, so it would be another 4-5 months before i can start riding again. This gives me ample time to decide and buy my Harley. I really like street 750 and think it does justice to its name (at-least in India). However do you guys think i should get a super-low or an iron883? Frankly I cant afford anything north of that

I am in Hyderabad and look forward to joining you guys in the Hyd-chapter soon.
Old 4th March 2014, 13:54   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai100 View Post
So now I want opinions from already HD owners what do you think of this new bike and should I Buy it once it releases? Will it be a good everyday use and occasional cruiser? Or will it be Over Kill for city and under spec for Cruising? Need you views!
Same boat as you. Have owned HD in US in the past. I am looking for a daily rider along with my CBR and the occasional highway blast. I have given my detailed review of the + and - in the Street thread. But without doing a test ride, we really cannot answer but from the feel of the bike and its specs, its seems to be a perfect street bike from HD for India. Also, this looks like a little harley when you compare it with the big boys, so its also a personal decision. A friend of mine was turned of just by that but I think it look good like a mini v-rod.

Waiting for the test ride before booking it, as the dealer said if we cancel the booking they would retain 15k as service charge, else would have booked it.
Old 26th December 2014, 12:35   #68
Senior - BHPian

My 2 paise about Harley's
  • They are comfortable and not hard unless you have pillion ( will come to this part later)
  • Stock Harley's exhaust isn't loud; my Vespa's is louder
  • Excellent build quality but expect squeaks.
  • Company horn is real crap; sounds ultra cheapo.
  • One should be careful about the engine kill switch on RHS. One can accidentally switch off the engins ( alert for new bikers).
  • Exhaust sound is sad/pathetic of a stock bike but drop a gear to get attention; that clank during gear shift is loud.
  • Parts are very costly ( very is a very vague word to use here). Show me Harley owner who had kept his bike stock!
  • Most Harley's are single seaters! RTO would mention so in your RC book and hence be aware of insurance rules.
  • And so, coz most are single seaters, you need to spend minimum of 25k for pillion. You will have to change shox to better ones if you have pillion with your for 75% of the ride BUT shox are ok for shorts rides with pillion.
  • I also think SE with baffles doesn't do justice to Harley
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 16:59   #69
BHPian

Harley Davidson - Iron 883 Custom exhausts

All the members of the forum.

This is my first post and I feel delighted to be a part of this community.

I recently fulfilled a childhood dream of mine by finally purchasing an Iron 883. I always wanted to get Vance and Hines but was told by the dealership that I could only go for Screaming Eagles.

I was told by the dealership that if I went for V&H, my warranty would be void. However, this is contrary to what other HD dealers (Dubai, US, UK) say. They happily endorse V&H.

Has anyone in the NCR area fixed V&H to their HD? What has been the impact on the performance of the bike? And how does (if at all) it affect your warranty?

Cheers,
Saurabh

Last edited by aah78 : 14th January 2015 at 21:58. Reason: Posts moved to existing thread.
Old 14th January 2015, 20:48   #70
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harley Davidson - Iron 883 Custom exhausts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat View Post
I recently fulfilled a childhood dream of mine by finally purchasing an Iron 883. I always wanted to get Vance and Hines but was told by the dealership that I could only go for Screaming Eagles.

Congrats on the Iron, wish you a lovely ownership.

There was some discussion on Shubz's thread : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...-883-a-35.html (I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883)

See if it helps, else post a message in his or Dheeraj's thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...review-34.html (Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review)

Ride safe.
Old 14th January 2015, 21:08   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was told by the dealership that if I went for V&H, my warranty would be void. However, this is contrary to what other HD dealers (Dubai, US, UK) say. They happily endorse V&H.
Are you referring to Delhi Dealership ? I have seen bikes at chandigarh showroom with V&H . I believe chandigarh & Delhi are owned by same partners , check with someone senior at Delhi unless there is some recent dictat by Harley it should not be an issue getting from dealership & these sounds really loud
Old 14th January 2015, 21:35   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Are you referring to Delhi Dealership ? I have seen bikes at chandigarh showroom with V&H . I believe chandigarh & Delhi are owned by same partners , check with someone senior at Delhi unless there is some recent dictat by Harley it should not be an issue getting from dealership & these sounds really loud
Yes. This is the Delhi dealership. This is what I don't get. They said they can get V&H for me if I wanted but fixing them would void the warranty.

I have read and re-read Shubz's thread and tried to get my head around his comments but I still remain confused on what's feasible and what's not.

Screaming Eagles are better than stock but they still lack the "thump" I yearn for.
Old 15th January 2015, 10:42   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
My 2 paise about Harley's
  • Most Harley's are single seaters! RTO would mention so in your RC book and hence be aware of insurance rules.
Completely agree with you there on most of your points. However what is this insurance issue that you speak of? I didnt quite understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat View Post
Yes. This is the Delhi dealership. This is what I don't get. They said they can get V&H for me if I wanted but fixing them would void the warranty.

I have read and re-read Shubz's thread and tried to get my head around his comments but I still remain confused on what's feasible and what's not.

Screaming Eagles are better than stock but they still lack the "thump" I yearn for.
Yeah man, SE are not that great when it comes to V&H's thump. I myself am in the same dilemma as i want to get the V&H staggered short shots for my superlow. So this is what the gurgaon dealership told me, "You can get the V&H from us itself and it wont void the warranty, but if something happens there would be an investigation to determine the cause. If V&H is the cause then you'll not get the warranty." We all know what this actually means. So as of now I'm just waiting for the warranty to get over.
Old 15th January 2015, 13:08   #74
Senior - BHPian

How many people buy Harleys but DON'T get registered with HOG?
Any statistics?
Old 15th January 2015, 23:22   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyu_singh View Post
Completely agree with you there on most of your points. However what is this insurance issue that you speak of? I didnt quite understand it.
I think silencers should be VH ones. You 'might' end up putting more holes or so with SE silencers because they might not be loud enough. Please do listen to one and decide.

In case one needs to claim insurance and they find that you had a pillion, cant they make you ineligible for claiming it coz bike is registered as a single seater? I am not sure and hence would appreciate clarity on this.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks