Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2016, 13:41   #136
Team-BHP Support

re: Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged

Quote:
Its time to update my ownership thread
Good to see you back here , pardon my naive question but why will you make silencers face front ? don't you get deafened by sound of already loud exhausts or do you get some special benefit from this setup ?

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th April 2016 at 13:42.
Old 9th April 2016, 14:10   #137
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Good to see you back here , pardon my naive question but why will you make silencers face front ? don't you get deafened by sound of already loud exhausts or do you get some special benefit from this setup ?
Well for the start it is not even as loud as screaming eagle mufflers on the go. But the sound is more raspy and old school hotrod-ish.
That turbine in a cast iron case in exhaust path absorbs majority of sound.
Initially I had thought I would install one of the stock mufflers without the cat con and baffle tube in it. So I inclined the exhaust down tube to a 45* angle towards front. I had hoped to make a curved bend pipe taking exhaust to front stock muffler.
But after I completed the mechanical work, started the bike, I did not find the need to run a muffler at all.
Sound levels on the run are surely under V&H shorts and pretty similar to screaming eagle mufflers.
And yes short open exhaust drain does have a massive performance advantage as well. Turbos do not like any restrictions on exhaust side at all. Factory guys have to do the mufflers just because they need to satisfy the law.

Last edited by dustom_99 : 9th April 2016 at 14:15.
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 15:48   #138
BANNED

This is from one of the initial tune and data collection runs.
Will make a proper clip soon.
dustom_99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 14:07   #139
BANNED

re: Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged

Here is the Blow off valve that I designed. Why buy 500$ worth of hardware if you can design it yourself.
EGR valves in most diesel engines do a pretty similar job. Bypassing exhaust from exhaust manifold to intake.
However they do it with a electrical solenoid.
I took a bare bone EGR valve, removed the electrical solenoid and replaced it with a pressure actuator.
With a right spring installed at the opening valve end, you have a Blow off valve, True to its core.
Spring I have installed can manipulate it from 5 PSI to 14PSI. Of course you will have to study spring constants and simple formulae of F=PxA.

Since everything used in this Blow valve comes from an automobile , hardware reliability is equivalent to top notch cars .
Just hook it up with intake manifold pressure, that pressure inside will open an alternate path for intake high pressure air, releasing it to atmosphere. That woosshhh sound is addictive.
Attached Thumbnails
Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-img_20160128_140049351.jpg  

dustom_99 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 17:43   #140
BANNED

Since I have removed both mufflers, bike is also lighter by about 15kg. Each muffler weighing in about 7.2kg and brackets holding the mufflers plus the exhaust pressure crossover contraption weighing in another 5 kg.
So it is a lighter faster 100hp Sportster now. And all that power comes within 6000rpm.
Just imagine the torque!
dustom_99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 21:44   #141
BANNED

After having completed 1000km after the turbo previously, united with my Turbo Miss-elli for another week end in Haridwar. Hoping to manage another 400-500km with friends.
Next in line of mods is an oil cooler. Summer season is here,with additional load on oil circuit to cool that Turbo along with the engine an, oil cooler will be a welcome addition.
The tappets in this gen of Harley's Sportster is hydraulic lash compensation one. Which takes care of expansion and contraction of engine components and adjusts tappet lash with oil pressure. It also makes tappet adjustment a thing of the past( as needed on royal Enfield's)
However as the oil gets hot, it's viscosity drops dramatically. This causes these bikes to sound like a swing machine when hot. Thinner the oil gets, louder the tappet noise gets.
Before the turbo, this tappet sound only got out of hand if one was caught in traffic. Now with additional cooling load, it sounds like it's in traffic after half an hour normal city ride as well. However some of it might be because I did an oil change while I did the turbo. Most of the previous oil went to drain during oil circuit design due to various leaks in circuit.
I replaced it with shell helix 15-40, it was winters then and it worked fine.
Now planning on designing an oil cooler and replacing oil to HD synthetic w50 or w60.
225/240 rear tyre, some badass handlebars are also planned in coming months.
dustom_99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2016, 14:03   #142
BHPian

Brilliant job. No intercooler ?
Old 16th April 2016, 19:31   #143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
Brilliant job. No intercooler ?
When I started this, I didn't even know if I will be able to tune this to start normally, so kept it honest and simple. Simplest possible hardware.
After actually doing it, I did lot of data collection and data suggest I am yet to see intake temps above 80*c. So an intercooler isn't exactly warranted.
When the boost comes on, the intake temps start rising, but by the time they reach 75-80*c, I normally find my self running out of road.
Summer is just here, will go through it and see if intercooler is needed, if I see intake temps reaching 95-100*c, then probably I will think about it.
For now it is running beautifully, why fix it if it ain't broke.
Old 16th April 2016, 19:40   #144
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
When I started this, I didn't even know if I will be able to tune this to start normally, so kept it honest and simple. Simplest possible hardware.
What about the performance figures?
Old 16th April 2016, 19:51   #145
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
What about the performance figures?
By the times she has been doing on roll on in 4 th and 5 th gear, it is a safe guess to suggest 120bhp-130bhp@6000rpm. I don't want to put too much torque into that drive belt in first and second gear, fear it might get stripped clear of all the teeth, so estimated 0-100 might be around 3.8-4.1 seconds
When I did the Hammer performance 1250 kit, it went to 84bhp already. After Turbo I had to increase volumetric efficiency over 50% at conservative boost just to keep her running. Had to employ bigger injectors and correct a ton of other things in tune.
By simple logic of 50% more VE, it should be about 120bhp.
Old 19th April 2016, 11:25   #146
BANNED

Any one with Pros and cons of using a SUVs cabin heater unit(Water to Air) as an oil cooler?
It certainly has the radiating surface much larger than Oil coolers we are getting in the market. I am thinking about it.
Old 20th April 2016, 11:48   #147
BANNED

Any one with any experience of cars/ SUVs cabin heater coil, any pics, info.
Also would like to ask owners of cruisers like HD dyna/softail or Triumph thunderbird / rocket3 /Indian if anyone out of them has rear alloy wheel with a width of over 5 inch.
3ly would like to know if some one knows good chrome plating shop/ factory around delhi NCR
Old 20th April 2016, 23:24   #148
BHPian

Dushyant, tons of places in manesar and Faridabad. Specially vendors to Hero and Honda. When in bhiwadi, ask the purchase guy in your Co. He'd know
Old 21st April 2016, 11:32   #149
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Dushyant, tons of places in manesar and Faridabad. Specially vendors to Hero and Honda. When in bhiwadi, ask the purchase guy in your Co. He'd know
I did ask Honda vendors, involved my PQ guys as well. The vendor says they have completely automated process with conveyors and automated part hangers for bath. So any other part will require them to build hanger for bath, rinse and plating tanks. Will also require change in cycle time of different process and other titbits. So basically he is saying its not possible to do one or two different parts for him.
I think only some small time factory will do custom parts. Then I don't know if a small time factory can provide good quality plating.
Old 21st April 2016, 11:35   #150
BHPian

Try the furniture guys or the guys who do railings.

Ill see if I can find someone next week once back in bhiwadi
P.S. is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed