Team-BHP - Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/133279-dustoms-harley-davidson-superlow-1250-now-turbocharged-3.html)

Must appreciate your creativity on getting the baffles removed, have seen people down in Bangalore doing similar job on the Inline-4 motors and they do sound quite deep and throaty.
Regarding the suspension I would suggest you to update the front fork & rear suspension to Nightster. They should be easy on the pocket & will give you a good ground clearance of 135MM. Avoid using spacers on the front fork as they will compromise its already poor handling on corners and every chance of induced twist on straight line hi-speeds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ku69rd (Post 3088885)
Must appreciate your creativity on getting the baffles removed, have seen people down in Bangalore doing similar job on the Inline-4 motors and they do sound quite deep and throaty.
Regarding the suspension I would suggest you to update the front fork & rear suspension to Nightster. They should be easy on the pocket & will give you a good ground clearance of 135MM. Avoid using spacers on the front fork as they will compromise its already poor handling on corners and every chance of induced twist on straight line hi-speeds.

High speed? On a harley, U must be joking. I guess the max I will ever do on this bike is 140.
First of all ,they are not spacers. Next , I am not going to go all guns blazing right after installation.
If there is some problem felt, they can be easily removed .
Harley-davidson is what it is today only because people try things with it, some do well, some dont.
Nightster option is always there... will consider once i get tired of experimenting, which I never will.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustom_99 (Post 3088128)
Baffles gone

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustom_99 (Post 3088573)
I did It on a Lathe , Just Centre the work and machine out the welding of the baffles.
Whole Baffle assembly will not come out , I guess There is some more welding Inside or possibly some kind of Holding bolt inside the muffler.

So, are the baffles still in or out? Baffles gone would suggest removed.

How you removed a Catcon equipped exhaust's baffle would be very interesting to see.

If all you did was grind out the weld at the end of the baffle, that would hardly qualify as "Baffles gone". You just made some holes in your exhaust, hurray!! Custom made, indeed.

Cheers

Ride Safe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustom_99 (Post 3088923)
High speed? On a harley, U must be joking. I guess the max I will ever do on this bike is 140.
First of all ,they are not spacers. Next , I am not going to go all guns blazing right after installation.

lol: true that, suppose one might not feel comfortable riding at high speeds.

My bad, instead of spacers guess risers would be more of a apt word?

Baffle tube is still there inside, however now it has its both ends open, so its just a through and through pipe inside, I could be taken out with some time and sweat investment, however i left it in because removing it will expose glasswool of the can , and make it sound like hollow metal can.

Quote:

I did It on a Lathe , Just Centre the work and machine out the welding of the baffles.

I have heard Screaming eagles and Vance & Hines , I am quite sure once people hear my ride , they are going to ask "How to do it", not for the cost but because Its lovely and deep.
:

You must be the only Harley owner who is doing this is India. Hats off to you. I'm already asking you "how to do it" after listening to the clip you posted. Wish you had some photo's of the process. I'm no Harley owner, at least not yet, just a curious cat.

Did the installation of Front fork /tree inserts.
Drove around for about 35km , all within town.
They did not pose any serious problem and ofcourse bike did not touch the speed humps that it was so fond of. clap:
Max speed done 85, terrain -all sort of city/town roads
GC now is around 124/125mm or something like that , who cares for exact numbers as long as they get the job done!

But I will have to take them off for now , will send them for hexa-chrome plating, they spoil all the bling!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gthang (Post 3088978)
So, are the baffles still in or out? Baffles gone would suggest removed.

How you removed a Catcon equipped exhaust's baffle would be very interesting to see.

If all you did was grind out the weld at the end of the baffle, that would hardly qualify as "Baffles gone". You just made some holes in your exhaust, hurray!! Custom made, indeed.

Cheers

Ride Safe.

Is custom Exhaust about what brand you have put on? or is it about how different your motor sounds?

Baffles can be removed completely (yes on catcon exhaust too), no problems! . If you could not find it on Internet , does not mean it cannot be done.

I did not grind out the baffle ends, guess you can make that out from the video, and even if I did , It would have been A lot more Custom exhaust than over the counter custom exhaust that every one else is going for.

I can never understand how can Over -the - Counter part be called Custom??

How did you jump to conclusion that I drilled some holes in exhaust??
Remember "Assumption"starts with A** ,Quite Custom Made Indeed!

As far as India goes- This is pure one off sounding Harley (Unless someone else has also removed baffles from stock, which I am not aware of) , if someone did that , I would appriciate it lot more than some chimp putting his dad's money into shiny after market partslol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustom_99 (Post 3095376)
Is custom Exhaust about what brand you have put on? or is it about how different your motor sounds?

I did not grind out the baffle ends, guess you can make that out from the video, and even if I did , It would have been A lot more Custom exhaust than over the counter custom exhaust that every one else is going for.

So, your baffles are still in, but you have some Custom made holes, correct?

Quote:

As far as India goes- This is pure one off sounding Harley (Unless someone else has also removed baffles from stock, which I am not aware of) , if someone did that

So, how would an exhaust with baffles removed compare with yours, since your baffles are not removed?
You would have to compare with someone else with Custom holes. I doubt anyone would have intentionally made holes in their exhaust nor any Harleys in India are old enough to have rusted out exhausts to make a close approximation.

Cheers

Ride Safe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gthang (Post 3095826)
So, your baffles are still in, but you have some Custom made holes, correct?

So, how would an exhaust with baffles removed compare with yours, since your baffles are not removed?
You would have to compare with someone else with Custom holes. I doubt anyone would have intentionally made holes in their exhaust nor any Harleys in India are old enough to have rusted out exhausts to make a close approximation.

Cheers

Ride Safe.

There is one Baffle tube in each exhaust, It has its one end closed, open end is towards the discharge side. Baffle tube has Holes (6mm) on is circumference , That is where the exhaust gasses enter the baffle tube and go out from rear open end.
Baffle is there to break pressure waves and also restrict the flow of gasses.
Open end of Baffle tube is Circum welded to Muffler circumeference at the rear.

Removing this welding by Grinding or as in my case on a Lathe , does allow additional gas discharge but since the exhaust is Tapered , and baffle dia is just a few clicks smaller than the Muffler dia at the Taper , It does not allow Low frequency sound to pass through .

So I have also Machined the closed end of the Baffle tube , Now doing that is quite Tricky for a few reasons.
1. Closed end is almost 9inch inside the muffler.
2. Shavings from machining will get trapped in glass wool/ wire mesh and possibly get sucked towards Catcon.

One needs to find a way that lathe tool can get inside , and all the shavings are collected ,not allowing them to scatter inside.
So In my case there are no Custom holes, Its just that Baffle holes have been taken out of equation.

Now since Baffle tube has Both ends machined out, its just a Hollow pipe , with only its wall thickness restricting exhaust , which I suppose is 1.3mm or so.

Also If someone wants to completely remove the baffle, just for the heck of it. One can put in a wodden stick inside, which has nearly same dia as Baffle tube.
Put it Inside by around 5-6inches and try to move the baffle up and down /Right & left ,inside the Muffler.
Withing about 10mins you will have the baffle tube loose enough to move it by hand.

You can then attach a lead screw puller , or make some jugad tool to pull the baffle out. Just be sure that Baffle tube gets loose enough to be moved around easily.

Quote:

Baffles can be removed completely (yes on catcon exhaust too), no problems! . If you could not find it on Internet , does not mean it cannot be done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustom_99 (Post 3095890)
Also If someone wants to completely remove the baffle, just for the heck of it. One can put in a wodden stick inside, which has nearly same dia as Baffle tube.
Put it Inside by around 5-6inches and try to move the baffle up and down /Right & left ,inside the Muffler.
Withing about 10mins you will have the baffle tube loose enough to move it by hand.

You can then attach a lead screw puller , or make some jugad tool to pull the baffle out. Just be sure that Baffle tube gets loose enough to be moved around easily.

So, was this procedure found on the internet, or did you actually try this yourself?
Quote:

Originally Posted by dustom_99 (Post 3095890)
Now since Baffle tube has Both ends machined out, its just a Hollow pipe , with only its wall thickness restricting exhaust , which I suppose is 1.3mm or so.

So, what keeps the free baffle end from vibrating? Or is that rattle also part of the Custom sound?

Quote:

So In my case there are no Custom holes, Its just that Baffle holes have been taken out of equation.

How can holes at the end of the baffle, which is basically you grinding out the welding tack that holds the baffle in place, sorry, your "Custom holes", take the baffles completely out of the equation?

If you had drilled extra holes or made the holes in the baffle tube itself bigger, like many "Internet" users have experimented and found to be effective, it would have made some tangible results.

Right now, it's just amusing how you expect us to imagine a hole in your exhaust the same as "Baffles Gone". Did not know that customizing needed one to take such huge leaps of faith.

Cheers

Ride Safe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gthang (Post 3095988)
So, was this procedure found on the internet, or did you actually try this yourself?

So, what keeps the free baffle end from vibrating? Or is that rattle also part of the Custom sound?

How can holes at the end of the baffle, which is basically you grinding out the welding tack that holds the baffle in place, sorry, your "Custom holes", take the baffles completely out of the equation?

If you had drilled extra holes or made the holes in the baffle tube itself bigger, like many "Internet" users have experimented and found to be effective, it would have made some tangible results.

Right now, it's just amusing how you expect us to imagine a hole in your exhaust the same as "Baffles Gone". Did not know that customizing needed one to take such huge leaps of faith.

Cheers

Ride Safe.

If you take a flashlight and look inside the muffler (stock) You will see the Far end of Baffle tube. It is Closed. Here I am not talking about the Near end which is welded to the muffler just where the muffler ends.
I have machined the baffle tube from inside (Far closed end).
Now if you look into the mufflers of my ride, you can see past the baffle pipe along its length.
Is it so hard for you to understand?

Now Baffle tube is Open from both ends, so the gasses Instead of coming into Baffle through the Holes on Circumference , comes in from Far end and exit straight out of muffler.
I do not Know wht do you keep mentioning Custom holes? I dont remember mentioning any custom holes or making the stock holes larger.

Baffle tube is also secure from inside the muffler , That is what makes it hard to take out the baffle completely out of exhaust in a Catcon Exhaust.

So even removing the welding from Muffler mouth keeps the Baffle tube in centre. It is not hanging loose to vibrate or create any unwanted noise .

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustom_99 (Post 3096135)
If you take a flashlight and look inside the muffler (stock) You will see the Far end of Baffle tube. It is Closed. Here I am not talking about the Near end which is welded to the muffler just where the muffler ends.
I have machined the baffle tube from inside (Far closed end).
Now if you look into the mufflers of my ride, you can see past the baffle pipe along its length.
Is it so hard for you to understand?

Quote:

Whole Baffle assembly will not come out , I guess There is some more welding Inside or possibly some kind of Holding bolt inside the muffler.

However just removing material from Baffle end has given Gasses an alternate passage , and because glasswool and original baffle is still inside , mufflers does not sound Hollow.

Little hard to understand. Either your explanation has changed, or the mod itself has changed through the course of this thread.

If you did drill out the inside end, you have drilled out the "Diverter", or "Baffle plug", which can be done quite easily like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyEIIgw1Veg

Maybe this diagram of a similar exhaust might help:
Name:  Muffler_02c.gif
Views: 10512
Size:  74.8 KB

You might want to look up some images of a baffle on the internet. Your diagram looks a little strange.

Cheers

Ride Safe.

Diagram may not be exact, i drew what i could see for myself using a flash light.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gthang (Post 3096603)

Little hard to understand. Either your explanation has changed, or the mod itself has changed through the course of this thread.

If you did drill out the inside end, you have drilled out the "Diverter", or "Baffle plug", which can be done quite easily like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyEIIgw1Veg

Maybe this diagram of a similar exhaust might help:

You might want to look up some images of a baffle on the internet. Your diagram looks a little strange.

Cheers

Ride Safe.

Your internet image might help you, I have already done what I wanted.
You internet find does not show catcon, so may be catcon muffler has slughtly different design.
Moreover my sketch and image posted by you is pretty similar in concept, just the scale of things do not match.

For you, till now there were some funny holes you kept mentioning in your every post,
Now suddenly sketch does not look alright?

Video posted by you is pretty much another way of doing what I did. Just that , what happnes if the baffle end/diverter or whatever you call it, in the course of being hammered inside, breaks and fall inside. You then have a completely screwed muffler.