Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2013, 17:22   #46
BHPian

re: Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
I have machined the baffle tube from inside (Far closed end).
Now if you look into the mufflers of my ride, you can see past the baffle pipe along its length.

The diagram made things so much easier to understand. A picture speaks a thousand words.
As i mentioned earlier, wish you had a video, would help a noob like me to understand all this better.
Old 18th April 2013, 10:15   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
Your internet image might help you, I have already done what I wanted.
You internet find does not show catcon, so may be catcon muffler has slughtly different design.
Moreover my sketch and image posted by you is pretty similar in concept, just the scale of things do not match.
For you, till now there were some funny holes you kept mentioning in your every post,
Now suddenly sketch does not look alright?
Video posted by you is pretty much another way of doing what I did. Just that , what happnes if the baffle end/diverter or whatever you call it, in the course of being hammered inside, breaks and fall inside. You then have a completely screwed muffler.
I dont know why you dont appreciate the internet much. News flash: Team Bhp also on the internet.

Yes, Harley Davidson is new to India, and the Sportster might be new and rare in your part of the world. But I hope you realize that the Sportster has been around since 1957, without a whole lot of changes.

Now, like you, many many people have done many things to their bikes, and users across the world share their experiences online just like here on Team Bhp. You could either learn from them, or scoff at them.

What you have done is a simple procedure commonly known as a "Bafflectomy" on HD forums. It can be done safely and simply as shown on the youtube link. If you punch a hole, where does the debris come from?

What really "Baffles" me is why you drilled out the weld holding the baffle end. Which I initially thought is the only cut you made, before you mentioned drilling out the Baffle plug (NOT the end of the baffle). That weld is to hold the baffle in place. Even if the packing material and the weld at the other end is holding it secure, nothing on a Harley should be left free standing. the vibrations are just too much. I'm sure it will start to rattle. Whether you will admit to it or not is another thing. Now you see the "Funny holes"?

I dont know if you know why the Baffle plug is there in the first place, nor do I know if you know what happens to the low end performance if backpressure is reduced. If you care to know, it is out there on the internet.

Just because the baffle of a catcon equipped exhaust cannot be removed, does not mean that the catcon itself is in the muffler. Try to locate your O2 sensor. Now, would the catcon be ahead or after the sensor? Are you sure your diagram is correct except for scale?

There are many things that made Harley what it is today. Many things including postwar economic situation, yuppie lifestyle choices, truly gifted customizers, etc. There are also several DIY modders whose claims are taller than their actions. But I doubt posers like that really did anything to help Harley become what it is today.

You can drill or cut anything you want any which way you want on your bike, it's fine with me. You might be able to convince yourself and your friends what you are doing is quite unique and right. But if you think you can bamboozle all of Team Bhp with tall claims, you must remember all goods things must end eventually.

I would suggest you tack weld your baffle end to prevent future headache. And try not to claim that your Baffles are gone.

You could take what I suggest in a positive manner or you could continue reacting with personal attacks. Your choice.

Cheers

Ride Safe
gthang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 10:31   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
I dont know why you dont appreciate the internet much. News flash: Team Bhp also on the internet.

Yes, Harley Davidson is new to India, and the Sportster might be new and rare in your part of the world. But I hope you realize that the Sportster has been around since 1957, without a whole lot of changes.

I would suggest you tack weld your baffle end to prevent future headache. And try not to claim that your Baffles are gone.
You could take what I suggest in a positive manner or you could continue reacting with personal attacks. Your choice.

Cheers

Ride Safe
I gain nothing from a personal attack on you.

Next time when I open the Exhaust , I will click a pic of catcon for you.
Till now baffle tube is not Rattling, I believe I can see sort of Bracket holding it in place with a flash light. Also I will try and make a video , showing Baffle tube is held in place firmly by something Inside.
However If in time it starts to rattle, I will do whatever needs to be done, thats what Engineers do, find solutions!

About Backpressure , I knew it beforehand , Every one knows Low end torque will not be same with lower backpressure and stock fuel management. People going for aftermarket Exhaust (screaming eagle /others) also reduce Backpressure by virtue of Lower restriction.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Last edited by moralfibre : 18th April 2013 at 20:42.
Old 18th April 2013, 10:57   #49
BANNED

Sound Check!

Last edited by dustom_99 : 18th April 2013 at 11:02. Reason: proper link
Old 31st May 2013, 15:26   #50
BHPian

Booked the iron 883 about a month ago. Kinda confused between the superlow and the iron 883...

The dealer mentioned that the iron 883 has better road clearence... But I couldn't really "test" that myself.

Have you had any trouble with the ground clearence with your super low so far?
Old 12th June 2013, 23:40   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifly View Post
Booked the iron 883 about a month ago. Kinda confused between the superlow and the iron 883...

The dealer mentioned that the iron 883 has better road clearence... But I couldn't really "test" that myself.

I was also of the same dilemma whether to go for a Superlow or Iron. But I finally zeroed myself to iron as it has got better ground clearance. But the ride of a superlow is much more comfortable than that of Iron. More over you can get ground clearance increasing kit for superlow.
cosmopolitan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 12:09   #52
BHPian

Don't let the ground clearance issue decide which Sporty you'll buy. Think about other factors such as, how it looks (most important according to me).

I have a 2012 Iron, which comes with stock 13.25" rear shocks, which are absolutely terrible. The super low comes with 11.5' rear shocks (or is it 11"?). I just finished installing rear 11.5" Progressive 412 series shocks, which make a world of difference. I also installed front Progressive fork springs. These mods were very inexpensive - check Amazon.com for prices. The best part is Progressive shocks are available from 11" to 13.5" in half inch increments, so you can get these depending on how you want your bike to look or perform. I personally think the Iron looks ridiculous with the raised rear shocks, but to each his/her own.

P.S: Changing out the suspension on a stock sporty is a must do for every owner. You'll be amazed at how Harley sells motorcycles with such poor quality suspension.
deuce-deuce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 22:00   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifly View Post

hi I just got myself a Iron 883. The suspension (better refer as no suspension) on the bike is a big deterrent. I mean it is good for a commute but not for touring, especially on Indian roads. If you read or see any reviews, the suspension is the biggest drawback on the Iron, and the looks are definitely the biggest attraction of the bike.

Comparing it with the Super low, the SL is a much more comfortable ride, and is highly responsive to steering inputs as compared to the Iron, due to its smaller front wheel, which is a big advantage as against the 19" front wheel on the Iron, which is good for straight highways used by sensible drivers. Having said that the front end of SL is very heavy on slow speed turns, as compared to the IRON.

The bigger fuel tank on the super low means, lesser headache on account of refueling every 200 odd kilometers or so, on the Iron.

The GC on the super low can be resolved more cheaply than putting new suspensions on the Iron. Plus the bikes share the same engine and therefore the power.

It comes at 1 Lac less, and therefore I will highly recommend that you go for a super low and spend the extra bits on customizing it to your liking. One of the recommended add on would be the screaming eagles exhausts. Changes the entire character of the bike.

Cheers !

Last edited by bradhey : 10th July 2013 at 22:05.
bradhey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 22:10   #54
BANNED

Back again!
This time with One year ownership review of My beloved Sportster.
Pas one year it has taken me across all sort of roads , all sort of towns and cities. It has been an adventure of a different level.
Completed 13k on the odo and max speed done in excess of 100mph ,130-140kph is almost daily affair ( always on closed roads with all safety gear) .

Lets start with good things!
1.I has not lost its charm, every day I look forward to the ride, taking me to office and back almost everyday , with only exceptions of few chilly days of winters and some extreme rainy days.
2.It has been parked everyday in Plant parking lot, which is open to elements. still after every wash its as fresh as straight from factory.
3. My Modded mufflers have done well ,held well and been good guys of the unit and enhanced preformance and pleasure. More on Mufflers Later .
4. I have got used to seat, my back side actually. Have travelled more than 400+km a day more than 5-6 times , have not been a problem.
5. Bike has not asked for any undue maintainence , Except Side stand spring.
6. Best fuel milage has been over 27kmpl and least has been 15. usual city kmpl has been 18-20kmpl.
7. Got the Tall retro Sissy bar from harley , 18k (withour docking hardware) but it has been worth that money. Quality of chrome is absolutely unbelieveable on side plates and my wife loves being on the bike now.
8. GC increase kit has also completed one year now. serving me good and right. No maintainence asked by it.
9. Not even slighest bit of sepage or leak on entire bike,

I guess i can go on and on.

Some not so good bits:
1.Rear wheel cracked , Not HDs fault or anything , I ran over an drain hole concrete cover on a pitch dark nigh. It was well above 6inches in hight.
New rim would have costed 18k + hauling the bike all the way to CHD (another 5-6k). I got the rim repaired locally for 800bucks. Holding up well for past 3-4k km.
2.Horn coupler gave up. gave up just like that. Wire broke off from brass thimble for no apparent reason. Installed new thimble myself.
3. Brake pads changed twice (rear) , Front (once)
4. 13k and both tyres are counting their last few km. Rear one is completely bald.
Nothing more really , even above points are not someones fault.

Ride and Handling!
1.When the bike was new , I took it easy , but now it ride her all guns blazing all the while and everyday! I guess thats what the sportster loves , thats when it shows its true colours , thats where its soo much fun with that short gearing and torque. every single time shifting from 1st to second near 5k rpm and dumping the clutch makes the front end loose ground for good 2 seconds.

2. This is a Man's ride- it throbs and shakes and vibrates on all speeds above 100kph and why should it not? It tries to scare you away and let go off her ear!
Couple of times she will Bottom out on undulations of road at high speeds! remind you that she can throw you off by making your butt feel fresh incoming air . Do not Yeild!
Do not give a Damn! Get her while you are above ground and breathing! Twist that wrist! and she will accept you and take you to Heaven and back.
Do this a couple of times and You will accept her as well! Thats when a New Realtion is born. A relation you will never want to bail out of!

Dangerous !! very Dangerous! I know thats what you are thinking , If yes- TOYOTA is for you!
Even if someone cajoled you into a relationship (getting) with a Sporty , very soon you will Bail out , and bike will hit Classifieds!
No use, save the trouble , its not for you ! She probably will break your back before you break her In.

Yes you can get other bikes in same kind of Dough , some will do things better , Who cares? Sporty does not ! Never has, Never will.

If you Care! go get what you care for , Sporty is for people who fall in for it at very first sight or first ride!
That kind of people do not go around test riding many bikes before getting one! They know what they want.

It is Slammed LOW Hotrod!
Pure badblood!
And thats what I love about it.

Some pics to follow~

random pics..past few months!
Attached Thumbnails
Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-img_20140119_133302_zpsmzph1ckd.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-img_20140119_122846_zpsjq95tiiv.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-img_20131214_145838_zpssfr8bbjx.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 21st April 2014 at 10:59. Reason: Merging posts. Please refrain from back to back posting..Thanks
dustom_99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 22:22   #55
BANNED

Few More , including F1 style data analysis for engine parameters and Map Tuning done on DYNOJET Power Vision Tuners! Grand Daddy of All Harley EFI Tuners
Attached Thumbnails
Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-rear-wheel.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-rishikesh.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-ddnhog.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-55kph121secs.png  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-144kph134sec.png  

dustom_99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 09:55   #56
BANNED

Rate The Pipes! (Phone cam, not the best sound recording device Invented)
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 10:03   #57
BANNED

Where Harleys Don't GO!.
Ride to Gangotri AND GAUMUKH @ 4000MTR, Broken battered roads , reality test for Super low! climbing Half a Mount Everest on a Harley was fun!

Also Take a Listen at Slower Idle! @ 650RPM
Old 21st April 2014, 10:35   #58
BANNED

Built a MINI APE hanger. Importing it would have been something around 20k.
Now just waiting for Extended cable KIT from Burly. Meanwhile Also Got myself a ECM Tuner from DYNOJET (POWER VISION PV1) for 44k. Shopping for Bigger motor has Begun
Attached Thumbnails
Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-jd.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-mini.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-img_20131202_103441.jpg  

Old 21st April 2014, 13:21   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
MINI APE hanger. Importing it would have been something around 20k
Its less - was around 7 K when I bought , cables were expensive though , how much did you paid ?
Attached Thumbnails
Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-1.jpg  

Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 21:19   #60
BANNED

I was going for a different design and height from a custom shop. Then decided to replicate it.
Cables are yet to be purchased, this seasons purchase has been made with PV1.

Most Viewed