Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2014, 17:30   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged

Dustom bhai,

So most people Just get that Initial map downloaded using Dealership cables and software , and never get to use that Autotune Function because they saved money on cables.

Are you saying, after paying 32K (yes I paid around that much) for the SEPRT - that cost includes/excludes cable/software cost?

If that is excluding - can we (a bunch of buddies who have gone the SPRT way) not pool in and get the cables & s/w) and go for the auto-tune.

I know they have done the standard download. The birth cert that they provided was all jargons and didn't have any meaningful info for me.

How do we get to the "Auto-tune" and I will also check if my RPM limit has been opened up.

thanks in advance.
Old 28th July 2014, 19:37   #92
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Dustom bhai,

So most people Just get that Initial map downloaded using Dealership cables and software , and never get to use that Autotune Function because they saved money on cables.

Are you saying, after paying 32K (yes I paid around that much) for the SEPRT - that cost includes/excludes cable/software cost?

If that is excluding - can we (a bunch of buddies who have gone the SPRT way) not pool in and get the cables & s/w) and go for the auto-tune.

I know they have done the standard download. The birth cert that they provided was all jargons and didn't have any meaningful info for me.

How do we get to the "Auto-tune" and I will also check if my RPM limit has been opened up.

thanks in advance.
Yes cables and software are priced separately. Refer SE catalog.
Cables can be common but not software. One software will work on one bike only.
How to Auto tune will be mentioned in users guide of software!
You could save a grand or so with common cable.
Old 28th July 2014, 23:31   #93
BHPian

Dustom,

Amazing work on your motorcycles. I have followed your falcon thread also for a long time.

On the HD wont a turbo create a lot of havoc with heating. It is an air cooled engine and moreover the turbo seems to be right next to the breather and the chances of touching them are high !!!

But definetly an amazing project to execute.

Last edited by moralfibre : 29th July 2014 at 07:07. Reason: There are several grammatical mistakes in your post. Please take time to type out your posts correctly.
sreejith.j is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 09:13   #94
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejith.j View Post
Dustom,

Amazing work on your motorcycles. I have followed your falcon thread also for a long time.

On the HD wont a turbo create a lot of havoc with heating. It is an air cooled engine and moreover the turbo seems to be right next to the breather and the chances of touching them are high !!!

But definetly an amazing project to execute.
There are a lot of problems hooking up a Turbo to Harley davidson, Heat is just one of them.
still there are a couple of companies selling turbo kits and they start around 4000$. On bigger motors, around 100CI Turbos are relatively easy to tune , as atleast Boost is plenty and then its in your hands where in the Band you want it and how much.

Since Air Intake will be Through an Intercooler and Stock breather will get displaces , no Issue with Exhaust being close to Intake .( Intake will be Butyle rubber duct)

On sportsters once the Turbo has been Installed and Tuned , Biggest problem is Keeping that front end Down .

I am not diving in Head first in this Project Just yet , as I have not calculated what Budget I require for all the Things Needed.
If a 1250cc kit comes out cheaper , I would go that way!

Some of the Things needed for Turbo :
Bigger Injectors - current Injectors are 3.86GPS, SE parts have High performance ones with Rating of 4.9GPS and 6.3GPS.(I Hear they cost 9k each)
BOV
Manual / electronic Boost Controller
MAP sensors ( 2bar/ 3 bar)
Performance Clutch
Custom build Headers
Custom Air Filters
Tuning device
Wide band O2 sensors 18mm
Plus Some more crap!

Dont know Cost of most of these components , still fair bit of research needed!

Last edited by dustom_99 : 29th July 2014 at 09:29.
dustom_99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 14:42   #95
BANNED

Looking for a road to Nirvana?

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01575.jpg
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 12:42   #96
BANNED

Capt. Ankur from dehradun converted his Superlow to 140GC on 13th July,14 and is now Enjoying His ride like Never before! He just returned from Official HOG ride to Manali after conversion!
He was Thinking of Upgrading to Streetbob but says he would think about a bigger bike much later now with the Only problem being taken care of!
Thats another bike saved from being featured in Classifieds!
Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-img_43032554839465.jpeg
Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-img_42977615698848.jpeg
dustom_99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 15:44   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
There are a lot of problems hooking up a Turbo to Harley davidson, Heat is just one of them....Dont know Cost of most of these components , still fair bit of research needed!
Whoa Dustom bhai! The list above could set you back by a few lakhs vis-a-vis a 1250 bore kit costing about a Lakh plus.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 31st July 2014 at 09:08. Reason: Please do not quote entire large posts. It inconveniences our small screen and mobile readers.
Old 31st July 2014, 18:20   #98
BHPian

Welcome Back Dustom and definitely missed your updates and expert info on Sportster on this page.

My 2.5 year old Superlow 883 battery died one day and I have replaced the same with the new one. The service person suggested a battery tender and I have got that fitted. While I ride the bike at least twice or thrice, got this connected in case I go out of station for a week or more and would want to have it plugged to the battery connector in case I do not use my bike for long period. My question to you "Is there any side effect / issue of using a tender? will the battery life reduce in case I try to charge it using a tender?"

Thanks!
Old 31st July 2014, 18:35   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post
Welcome Back Dustom and definitely missed your updates and expert info on Sportster on this page.

My 2.5 year old Superlow 883 battery died one day and I have replaced the same with the new one. The service person suggested a battery tender and I have got that fitted. While I ride the bike at least twice or thrice, got this connected in case I go out of station for a week or more and would want to have it plugged to the battery connector in case I do not use my bike for long period. My question to you "Is there any side effect / issue of using a tender? will the battery life reduce in case I try to charge it using a tender?"

Thanks!
Until Dustom bhai responds,

The battery tender is unlike the regular phone charger type, where it will continue to charge even if the battery is fully charged. This contraption does charge only when the battery level goes below 80% Battery life is not affected by using this contraption. Its a good thing to have if you tend leave the bike unattended for longer periods. a good safeguard against running into a dead battery when you are in heat - heat to ride I meant
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 19:21   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
Capt. Ankur from dehradun converted his Superlow to 140GC
Can you please shed some more light on how to get this done? Really interested in getting this done as soon as i get my bike.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2015 at 12:07. Reason: Fixing quote tag
Old 30th July 2015, 18:26   #101
BANNED

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-pic1.png

Now 0-100 in 4.3sec(+-0.1), and that with Stock air filter.

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-pic2.jpg

My Interview published in XBhp Magazine.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2015 at 12:15. Reason: Inserting images as attachments
dustom_99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 10:33   #102
BANNED

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-p1.jpg

Some pics of 883 to 1250 upgrade. Hammer it is!

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-p2.jpg

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-p3.jpg

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-p4.jpg

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-p5.jpg

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-p6.jpg

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-p7.jpg

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-p8.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2015 at 12:21. Reason: Inserting images as attachments
dustom_99 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 12:03   #103
BHPian

Dushyant bhai, its good to see you back in action My superlow is up and revving...have some things in mind, will connect soon.
abhimanyu_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 15:57   #104
BANNED

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-pica.jpg

A page from XBhp magazine

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2015 at 12:16. Reason: Inserting image as attachment
dustom_99 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 13:47   #105
BANNED

So , meanwhile I also designed a free flowing air intake, using a Esteem paper filter. It surely does not look as good as some of the awesome designs available in market but does the job beautifully.
I compared air flow data post filter installation with anofficial hd stage 1 intake tune and I ran auto tune for quite a few longish sessions.
This filter cost 1/10 of stage 1 from Harley and flows almost 5-8% better at higher RPMs.
But this is an exposed paper filter and first rain and my filter was ruined. So have switched back to stock filters till monsoon goes home.
Also did a 3 inch tank lift. Add to that sportster stance.
Attached Thumbnails
Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-1438416994028.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-1438417031981.jpg  

Last edited by dustom_99 : 1st August 2015 at 14:14.
dustom_99 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed