Team-BHP - Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/133279-dustoms-harley-davidson-superlow-1250-now-turbocharged-8.html)

This is the kit I have installed, to mine and 6 other 883s. Comes with worlds best Carrillo Forged light weight pistons and Sledge Hammer cylinders. Cosmetic MLS head and base gaskets , and other required tit-bits.
Installation took me about 10hrs of hard labour.
But in the end , beautifully made motor , no leaks no weird noise.

I have completed 8k after the kit and few others have completed in range of 4-5k , I couldn't be any happier , get hard on gas in first and pop a wheelie just like that.
Best bang for buck , and awesome torque. Fuel efficiency has gone down by nearly 2kmpl but still get 17-18 in city and about 20 on highway. Although if you maintain steady 70kmph on highway ,riding solo , Power vision shows fuel economy as 4.2ltr/100 km.
Best part of this upgrade has been mind blowing acceleration and engine runs nearly 20*c cooler than stock motor. So it runs quiter as well, as sportster engine get noisy when hot( due to Hydraulic pushrods).

https://youtu.be/N-mmNBOQS9I

Hammer 1250 V/S zx14r . enjoy

I am not willing to change my rear tyre to a motorcycle tyre again, tyre life is getting shorter and shorter. First one lasted some 13k , next lasted 9 k and this time i had to change at 7 k km.
Can anyone suggest a car tyre , preferably Mich/pirelli . something around 195 or 205/ 60 (or above profile) R 17 .
I am not sure what cars come with 17incher with high profile. Most seems to come in lower profile like 40 or 45.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustom_99 (Post 3777967)
I am not sure what cars come with 17incher with high profile. Most seems to come in lower profile like 40 or 45.

The creta comes with 215 / 60 R17 tyres from Goodyear and Bridgestone. Im sure you'll be able to find others with the required sidewall

Quote:

Originally Posted by udainxs (Post 3778001)
The creta comes with 215 / 60 R17 tyres from Goodyear and Bridgestone. Im sure you'll be able to find others with the required sidewall

Thanks for the find, 215mm seems a bit too much for stock rim of superlow, I was pushing it with even 195. But if nothing is available in 195/60(70) then will have to go for 215 eventually.

Hopefully aspect ratio will take care of less width of stock wheel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustom_99 (Post 3778026)
Thanks for the find, 215mm seems a bit too much for stock rim of superlow, I was pushing it with even 195. But if nothing is available in 195/60(70) then will have to go for 215 eventually.

Hopefully aspect ratio will take care of less width of stock wheel.

Couldnt find anything less than a 205/55 for a 17 inch rim at this site http://www.tyreonwheels.com/car

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustom_99 (Post 3777967)
I am not willing to change my rear tyre to a motorcycle tyre again, tyre life is getting shorter and shorter. First one lasted some 13k , next lasted 9 k and this time i had to change at 7 k km.
Can anyone suggest a car tyre , preferably Mich/pirelli . something around 195 or 205/ 60 (or above profile) R 17 .

Would car tyre work right? Side wall and stuff? Curious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 3778042)
Would car tyre work right? Side wall and stuff? Curious.

Time to find out!
I used it on my diesel bike , it handles differently on slow speed and follows contours of surface below say 30-40kph, but once up to speed it does great.
Just need more input to execute the slow turns. It should be better under braking and much better on broken roads and rain.

Largely changing because , of late I have had close calls in rain and wet roads with Michelin . Too much torque very low down the band , wheelspin under power in second gear,every time trying to accelerate away from traffic .

And with time , that torque is only going to increase every now and then.

Something like this:-

Hey Dustom. Is that the NHRS 1250 Kit? The last picture you posted looks like what they have on their website.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KhalDrogo (Post 3778159)
Hey Dustom. Is that the NHRS 1250 Kit? The last picture you posted looks like what they have on their website.

No it is from Hammer performance .
Both NHRS and hammer performance offer 1250, and apparently guys involved in both companies used to work together in past.
But NHRS does not have 1250kit in big fin version ( as big as current generation sportster) . Their version is small fin - which when put on a efi sportster leads to mismatch of fin size and style between heads and cylinders. Also it has less cooling capacity as fins are of smaller size.
So these days most efi (2007-up) sportsters are using Hammer performance.
Kits are available in 3 styles- silver ( same as stock Superlow) , black and Black highlighted.

This is actual kit I sent to Bombay. Black highlighted actually looks pretty good even on Superlow.
Notice the fins match stock cylinders exactly. NHRS fins are pretty small

Oh. I was unaware that NHRS and Dan were separate entities. Thought they were one and the same. Dan and his partner. Name eludes me at the moment. Will the dealership install it for you if you can't do it yourself? Can you PM me the price if you don't want to state it on the forum? Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KhalDrogo (Post 3778431)
Oh. I was unaware that NHRS and Dan were separate entities. Thought they were one and the same. Dan and his partner. Name eludes me at the moment. Will the dealership install it for you if you can't do it yourself? Can you PM me the price if you don't want to state it on the forum? Thanks!

I guess they even have two Dans - Hammer Dan from Hammer performance and Dan norlin from Nh.
At Hammer performance , Dan partner's with Aaron Wilson .

As far as installation goes , HD workshop won't do it , but most of the big cities now have independent workshops like X-torque , and some others by former Harley mechanics etc.
As I am not doing this commercially I have no problem stating how much I got it for.
US kit price is 700$+100$(optional services like ring gapping, pistons pre installation upgrades) +(157$ shipping with insurance)+28.5% import duty.
I offer it at 78k as I got 6kits in one go and saved on shipping .
Installed it myself so in about 80k ,got myself a nice upgrade.
Whereas even stage 1 upgrade usually costs -10k for filter+30k for exhaust+ 33k stage one download with Seprt. And gives you about 10extra horses, that too if you tune it well yourself .

Thanks Dustom. Definitely worth thinking about for a nice sleeper bike.

Making Harley Davidson the "King of road" since 1903!