Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2013, 10:15   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: My 2012 Ninja 650. The all-rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Also, please consider upgrading the brakes to EBC or Galfer pads. You might also want to install steel braided lines and maybe even an aftermarket rotor to significantly improve the brake's bite and sharpness.
Aditya / other 650 owners, could you please share the cost breakdown of :

EBC / Galfer pads

Steel braided lines (brand / specs)

Aftermarket rotor (brand / specs)

Thanks!

Also what are the usual standard updates for the headlights done by most 650 guys? Cost?

How much do the Dunlop Roadsmart II tyres cost (front and rear separately)? What are the alternatives / cost?
Old 23rd August 2013, 14:28   #47
BHPian

Doc, do I smell a 650 in the pipeline?

Have already posted the price for the ebc extreme pro brake pads and HEL brake lines, adding below inline. These are obviously affected by the exchange rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Aditya / other 650 owners, could you please share the cost breakdown of :

EBC / Galfer pads
EBC extreme pro front pads with shipping 7100/-
Steel braided lines (brand / specs)
HEL lines for front alone: ~4k

Aftermarket rotor (brand / specs)
No clue.
Thanks!

Also what are the usual standard updates for the headlights done by most 650 guys? Cost?
I have upgraded to Osram Night Racers, 12V 55W stock replacement bulbs. The light throw is better than stock, to further improve, I have directed the high beam downwards too.
Other 650 owners have upgraded to Morimoto projector headlamps, which involves some not insignificant manhandling of the headlamp cluster to install. Cost approximately 20k, but superb results.
Recently I've seen CREE LED lights affixed on a 650, two 27W LED lamps mounted where the front number plate brackets lie. This is approximately 7500-9000, and very effective.

How much do the Dunlop Roadsmart II tyres cost (front and rear separately)? What are the alternatives / cost?

Roadsmart II are currently unavailable locally, but should cost about 23k. Last week I managed to source Metzeler M5 Sportec's which are a bit softer than the dunlops, and cost 23k a pair. The Dunlop's lasted me 11k kms and one track outing. But tourers have reported as much as 17k kms on one set of Dunlops. I expect the Metzelers to give up by 15k, earlier in my case as I have 2 track days thrown in.
sriku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 14:59   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Aditya / other 650 owners, could you please share the cost breakdown of : Aftermarket rotor (brand / specs)
Doc, this link should give you an idea of the cost of brake rotors and pads for the 2012 Ninja 650.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 15:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Doc, do I smell a 650 in the pipeline?
Thanks for the info bro - really helps!

Well, I have been looking for an upgrade for my Duke, and the 650 is something I have been recently tossing around in my mind.

However, I am somehow currently not able to convince myself that I should invest that much on a bike (even if a sparingly used one).

Quote:
Doc, this link should give you an idea of the cost of brake rotors and pads for the 2012 Ninja 650.
Thanks buddy! Great link, depressing rupee.

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd August 2013 at 15:39.
Old 24th August 2013, 13:46   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Please go to the service center and get the brakes checked. This kind of noise from the brakes are not normal but a faint "ssshhh" sound is fine and this is due to the friction between the pads and the rotor, when brakes are applied.

The brakes on the 650 are not all that sharp and the ones at the rear are terrible. On most big bikes, the front brakes are significantly sharper than the ones at the rear.

Is this a brand new bike or a used one that you bought? I'm not sure if a brake bleed is required but if the bite is not present you might want to bleed both the front and rear brakes.

Also, please consider upgrading the brakes to EBC or Galfer pads. You might also want to install steel braided lines and maybe even an aftermarket rotor to significantly improve the brake's bite and sharpness.
Aditya, bike is brand new, 1 month 1400 KM old, noise is coming from the day 1 from the rear break, even small touch to the break lever makes noise. Front break seems to be ok, will upgrade rear break, will visit the service center.

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 24th August 2013 at 13:55.
Old 28th August 2013, 10:49   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Aditya, bike is brand new, 1 month 1400 KM old, noise is coming from the day 1 from the rear break, even small touch to the break lever makes noise. Front break seems to be ok, will upgrade rear break, will visit the service center.
Quite surprising. In my 3 years of owning the 250R i have never had any abnormal sounds from the brakes or any other part of the bike (*touchwood*).

Since this is a critical component, do get it checked at the earliest. I would suggest that you get the brake assembly removed and refitted. There was one case in Pune where the rear brake had jammed in turn locking the rear wheel as well. This was for a 250R though. Please do not ride the bike much, get it looked into asap.

IMHO, there is no need to upgrade the rear brakes. If you want to improve the brakes, upgrade the front brakes as suggested.
Old 28th August 2013, 15:05   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Quite surprising. In my 3 years of owning the 250R i have never had any abnormal sounds from the brakes or any other part of the bike (*touchwood*).

Since this is a critical component, do get it checked at the earliest. I would suggest that you get the brake assembly removed and refitted. There was one case in Pune where the rear brake had jammed in turn locking the rear wheel as well. This was for a 250R though. Please do not ride the bike much, get it looked into asap.

IMHO, there is no need to upgrade the rear brakes. If you want to improve the brakes, upgrade the front brakes as suggested.
Be sure to get the rear brake assembly removed, the disc inspected, cleaned. After inspecting the brake pads, and the brake oil in the reservoir, replace the oil and re-assemble the rear brake with specific attention to any kinks in the brake line. Make sure Mr. Pingle is made aware of your issue.
Old 30th December 2013, 08:57   #53

Sriku - have seen your pics of clip ons. Did you have to lower the front to fit them? Are there any clearance issues of the new clip ons hitting the fairing? Thx.
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:27   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepTrouble View Post
Sriku - have seen your pics of clip ons. Did you have to lower the front to fit them? Are there any clearance issues of the new clip ons hitting the fairing? Thx.
No modification required to fix the clip-ons. And they dont hit the fairing even on full turn.
Old 2nd January 2014, 14:59   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post

No modification required to fix the clip-ons. And they dont hit the fairing even on full turn.
Thanks. Would you know who can do this mod in bangalore?
Old 2nd January 2014, 15:40   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepTrouble View Post
Thanks. Would you know who can do this mod in bangalore?
The clip-ons are made by Bikerz Bits, a Bangkok based firm. You need to touch base with them to order. Google them out.

For fitment go to Auto Service in BSK 2nd stage. Its an official PBK service station. The chaps there have done it on most of our bikes so shouldnt be an issue.
Old 4th April 2014, 18:36   #57
BHPian

Quote:

So, finally Bajaj replaced the rear disc under warranty during 2nd servicing, though it was wear n tear part. Rear disc was having unusual marks which I shown at 2nd service. Also mentioned about my first complaint during the 1st service.
Old 5th April 2014, 20:24   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
So, finally Bajaj replaced the rear disc under warranty during 2nd servicing, though it was wear n tear part. Rear disc was having unusual marks which I shown at 2nd service. Also mentioned about my first complaint during the 1st service.
That's good to read. Heartening to know that the disc rotor was replaced without any hassle. Was the disc warped though or did it just have uneven wear?
Old 9th April 2014, 11:24   #59
BHPian

Could just be that they goofed up and put the wrong brake pads at the rear, causing trouble from the time you took delivery. It has been known to happen, although the only time it was detected was at the time of replacing the rear brake pads for that guy. He had to replace the disc as well, because of the uneven wear. Apparently he rarely used the rear brake, so did not notice it until he upgraded the pads.

Good to hear they have replaced under warranty. Sometimes the warranty replacement does not go through quite as smoothly.
Old 30th December 2014, 12:01   #60
BHPian

It's been 2 years, and 21000 kms on the Ninja, and I am still loving it. Have switched from short breakfast rides to a single 1000km ride per month, over a weekend. Have some like-minded buddies who join me, on Tiger's, 650's or SBK's, and we have put our bikes through the twisties, small town roads on the Konkan coast, butter smooth National Highways and wherever else we could think of going.
If you're intention is to get the Ninja 650 as a step through bike before moving up to a bigger machine, then like me, you will have a huge problem just considering letting the bike go. It does everything well, looks killer, supremely comfortable and just doesn't quit. I may end up with a different motorcycle in 2015, but just can't part with the Ninja.

Cheers,
Sriku
sriku is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks