Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2006, 02:53   #1

Used Suzuki GSX400R - To buy or not?

Hello Friends. Me planning on buying a Suzuki GSX 600 R. Its a 1996 model and is brought down on TR. Dont have much knowledge of bikes go wanted you guys opinion on this particular model.

The asking price is 175k and the bike is stalled right now because the ignition coil is blown. Will I be able to get one easily?

Also, hows the bikes overall performance. I had a VT 250 before this so this is going to be a big leap for me. Also, if I want to get the bike checked in Mumbai who is the best person to do so (some have told me Johnny from Bandra).

Would really appreciate your views!!!
Old 24th May 2006, 03:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

jonny is good, another person in town would be tony (slightly more expensive though).
175k for a 96 gsxr 600 seems to be unbelievable with or without good papers.
anyways good luck.

manson.
Old 24th May 2006, 03:08   #3

thanks for the reply...

Thanks for replying... Yup 175k is what the asking price is... Should I be cautious (thats what me thinking off since morning)

Would really appreciate comments...
Old 24th May 2006, 08:40   #4
BHPian

Just make sure the bike is in a reasonably good condition, and pick it up. You'd get the same somewhere in Mumbai for 325k....So this probably is a steal deal dude...

IMHO, don't miss it.
Old 24th May 2006, 10:20   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hey Cyba123,

Remember that you get what you pay for.

Dont know anything about the market value of bikes, but heres what i think -

As turbo_v12 says, if the actualy market value for a working GSX 600 R is 325k, and the only thing that is wrong with "your future bike" is an ignition coil, why wouldn't the current owner buy a new ignition coil for 5k-15k and then sell the bike for ~135k more than what he has quoted to you!???? ??

Also, when you buy a bike/car in non running condition where the seller tells you "the only thing wrong is xxx", you can never be sure! Because as soon as you fix xxx, you will realise that yyy doesnt work, and the seller will say "i dont know, yyy was working fine when xxx was working last."

Well thats my view, as i am skeptical of buying things with wheels 2nd hand.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2006, 10:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dont have much knowledge of bikes
Quote:
bike is stalled right now because the ignition coil is blown
Sounds like a recipe for disaster if you don't mind me being blunt.

As the others have mentioned, firstly, the price seems really low. So, that could mean shabby paperwork, busted engine or atleast a lot of work on the engine! Plus, its not running, so you have no way of knowing what you're getting into.

Can you be more specific on the actual bike? Is it the GSXR600 or the GSX600F (Katana). There is a world of difference between the two. First get that part right and then we'll be able to give you a better idea as to what to do.
Old 24th May 2006, 11:37   #7
BHPian

dont buy the bike as u said the bike was on TR PAPERs so if some time ur caught ull have to shell out money to the cops as i dont think this is legal and laws now are getting strict in mumbai
Old 24th May 2006, 12:23   #8
BHPian

as a person into bikes...word of advice....
the bike ur talking about is not worth that much..that particular bike......
it got more problems than u think it has....as rehann said if i was just the coil ..the owner would have replaced it n sold it.......secondly the bike has been with jonny some years ago and he is not keen with its maintenance by its owner..abou the papers i dont really know dude....
but i guess u should just relax 4 now...i know its exciting when u are getting a sports bike for that much but its not worth it.....
Old 24th May 2006, 15:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Refrain from the purchase. As you say, the bike is on TR; TR has to be renewed every 6 months, and is valid only if the bike is re-imported every 6 months or so. Else, it's illegal, and not transferable. If it's a 96 model, when was it imported? Check that out first. The paperwork alone will cost you more than 2 lacs, just for registering the bike and transfering it in your name; not worth it.
Go for another Supersport in the 3 lac range; at least you'll have peace of mind..
Old 25th May 2006, 06:01   #10

NOT a 600... Its a GSX 400R...

[quote=cyba123]Hello Friends. Me planning on buying a Suzuki GSX 600 R. Its a 1996 model and is brought down on TR. Dont have much knowledge of bikes go wanted you guys opinion on this particular model.

Blunder guys!!! met the owner of the bike today and its a GSX 400 and not a 600... Also, here are some details of the bike. 1996 model, imported in 2000. Duty paid (showed me custom recipt of 75k). 4 cylinder, 4 carb. 2 disc front and 1 rear (working fine). Faring, headlight and taillight is not original (is made locally). Bike starts (so he says) as he has temp put a BSA or some other ignition coil but it heats up and does not go below 3000 rpm...

So what say??? Worth 175k. Also how much would it cost to get an original faring and also whats the app cost of painting the bike...

Appreciate your help!!!
Old 25th May 2006, 12:22   #11
BHPian

i advise u dont go for all the hassel insted spend a lil more and get a genuine bike which is in a better state if u then too wanna go in for all this i guess ull end up spending more on the expenses on the bike
Old 25th May 2006, 13:34   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyba123
Faring, headlight and taillight is not original (is made locally). Bike starts (so he says) as he has temp put a BSA or some other ignition coil but it heats up and does not go below 3000 rpm...
I'd have to change my stand then. A locally made faring and all means he has probably smashed the bike really hard somewhere. Also, if it does not go below 3000 rpm and other such hassles, then I don't think the bike is worth it.

U will get something a lot better for a li'l price more if you keep locking.

Cheers.
Old 26th May 2006, 00:58   #13
BHPian

As we say in hindi " apne par pe khuladi marna" thats wat ur gonna do if u buy this devil......ur getting into a big mess forget this u might get a better deal in the future.

Dost hai isle bol raha hu nahi to apne ko kya padi hai (just kidding)
Old 26th May 2006, 14:23   #14
BHPian

keep away from this ...
see initially it seems to be a very attractive offer but once you get to know the bike and the hidden expenses you will repent for sure ...
and if its on TR then keep away man ...
dont even think of playing with the papers as the DRI officials have been given clear instructions on seizing the bike once found without neccessary documents ... remember speed run 06 ...
i would suggest stay and keep peace ...
you would get something definetely better if you look for ...
cheerz
Old 2nd June 2006, 17:58   #15

Thanks!!!

Thanks a lot for all the advise my friends... Really appreciate it!!!

Not buying that bike finally. Keeping my fingers crossed for something better. Do let me know if you guys know of anything in the 200 to 250k range.

Thanks once again, Cheers!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks