Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2014, 14:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyu_singh View Post
This is superbly awesome, my harley story hasnt even started yet and i feel like upgrading to Indian Scout badly. It'll be a long an interesting story for me.
If I were you I would have saved some extra moolah and gone for the Scout. It's a far superior bike to the Harley. Fly by wire throttle, liquid cooling, superior performance, fit and finish. And even the classic cruiser styling is superior. Though the 95% duty on CBU bikes is hurting it. Prices may come down by around 2L once Polaris starts assembling it here next year hopefully.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 14:51   #17
BHPian

Re: 'Indian Motorcycle' to make India debut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
If I were you I would have saved some extra moolah and gone for the Scout. It's a far superior bike to the Harley. Fly by wire throttle, liquid cooling, superior performance, fit and finish. And even the classic cruiser styling is superior. Though the 95% duty on CBU bikes is hurting it. Prices may come down by around 2L once Polaris starts assembling it here next year hopefully.
The bike looks amazing and as you rightly mentioned it may be 2L less once Polaris starts to assemble locally here. The only other thing you may want to consider while buying is the "Service". For people in and around Delhi this is not a problem. For others especially people in the south may have to wait till they open a dealership in your respective city. How much ever premium bike it may be, all of them will have one or the other small niggle and you would definitely need a service center in your home town or nearby to address these niggles.
Old 29th August 2014, 12:15   #18
BHPian

I am beginning to feel that Dheeraj is thinking much on switching to the Indian. Atleast his posts are showing his inkling. Sirji, would you leave your favourite bike and its HOG?
Old 29th August 2014, 15:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRam View Post
would you leave your favourite bike and its HOG?
Harleys are just wonderful. And I am not leaving them any time soon. They have quality, character, fit and finish. The community, I don't really care much about. It's OK but that doesn't define the Harley for me. The hardware does. But then, I am not wedded to any one brand! I like V-Twins with quality, history and character because of the way they look and sound. The moment I saw the Scout (and still not in the flesh actually), it gave me goose bumps. And that's happened after a long long time with a bike. Its lightweight (by cruiser standards), practical, maneuverable and comes with a lot of technology packed in. It oozes quality just like the Harley and in some parts outdoes it. It's affordable by CBU standards. There's very little not to like about the Scout.
Old 30th August 2014, 13:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Got information that the booking amount is 5L. Only 17 bikes in 1st lot. Delivery by September end. Introductory prices which they say will be increased after these initial 17 bikes.
Old 1st September 2014, 11:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Indian Scout - Looks absolutely smashing! Ive had my eye on the Fat Bob for a while but after seeing pictures of the scout....My priorities have changed.

I do not possess much knowledge of Motorbikes and have only been a bike owner for about a year now (after buying the DS 500). However, I am hooked and am keen on going up the scale.

Could one of you experts compare the two and tell me which would be a sensible purchase? Fat Bob vs Indian Scout 2015.
Old 1st September 2014, 14:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Fat Bob vs Indian Scout 2015.
Fat Bob is in a category higher as it comes with a 1600cc engine. But this 1100cc engine on the Scout will beat it on the performance front. But as cruiser enthusiasts we are not looking for outright performance, are we? I would say that the Scout would be more nimble and practical (read lightweight and smaller) than the Fat Bob and hence more suited for Indian conditions. It would also be more refined (read less vibrations) owing to its liquid cooled newer tech engine. But then you would miss out on the noise and racket (read the sweet sound) of the Harley. I would have gone for the Scout over the Fat Bob.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 16:32   #23
Team-BHP Support

Indian has launched the Roadmaster touring motorcycle at Rs. 37 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Link to Team-BHP News Article

'Indian Motorcycle' to make India debut-indian-1.jpg

'Indian Motorcycle' to make India debut-indian-2.jpg

'Indian Motorcycle' to make India debut-indian-3.jpg
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 01:22   #24
BHPian

I completely failed to understand the reason behind this launch. They already have Chieftain, which itself is struggling for sales, courtesy very high price tag (33 Lacs ex-showroom) and it has almost everything what Roadmaster has to offer, then why would anyone shell out another 4 lacs for it ?

Moreover Honda is already having a very attractive package is form of Goldwing, which is also priced very competitively (28.5 Lacs), which may not have that legendary background to boast about, however is far more modern and ticks every column required on a ultra comfortable super cruiser on two wheels.
Old 12th February 2015, 17:56   #25
BHPian

Alright, then! Happened to ride the 2015 Indian Scout today. Was the stock single saddle bike without any modifications or alterations. Even the registration was pending. Just 296 kilometres in the odo.

First impression was WOW. It's low slung, like VERY low slung. One could say it's the Bajaj Avenger of Heavy Cruisers.
Plonked myself on the saddle and was taken aback by the comfort of it. Now, since I've spent a majority of my motorcycling career riding the Duke, sitting on such a soft seat brought back memories reminiscent of a bean bag. Finely hand crafted seat, with a lot of room to move about and extend your legs.

The ignition is the standard one, no wizardry involved in getting the 101 horses under you firing. Now, comes the part which bowled me over. The exhaust note. It OWNS the stock exhausts of it's comparative rivals any day! It's extremely brutal and aggressive, and I felt as if Hans Zimmer perhaps worked for Indian to get their exhaust notes right.

Give it a slight pull on the throttle and the bike leaps forward. Ended up stalling at my first go, realised it's behaviour and didn't mess up post then. The gearshift is like any other heavy cruiser, hard and noisy, but I was mighty impressed by the gear ratios. Post 2nd gear, the engine wants you to treat it like a streetfighter. The 16 inch tires make handling and overtaking a breeze.

Having ridden motorcycles that weigh 340 kg in peak hour traffic, it was considerably lucid to tame the 253 kgs I was riding on. At a couple of places where I had to take tight U turns, the motorcycle behaved perfectly stable, without throwing any tantrums. No engine heat or vibrations, whatsoever.

Nothing special about the braking, however. The usual, with ABS always on and requiring effort on the rear brake as well. I feel dual discs up front would do more justice.
However, I do have a doubt regarding the rear suspension/mudguard as on 1-2 potholes I felt as if I heard it clang against the tire.

Last but not the least, it IS an attention magnet. I probably got more attention than the time I rode a I883 with Screaming Eagles. It's low slung, single seated and has blacked out wheels, making it the perfect eye candy. Couple of embarrassing moments when couple of kids whipped out their fancy iPhones to click photos of me. Well.

It's worth the money, I feel. There are a few avenues that it needs work on, like the suspension and brakes, but then, it's a perfect alternative to it's American/British rival. Indian has a long way to go before it achieves the status that their counterparts have, but a bit of PR on this motorcycle, and it's bound to wreak some serious chaos.

Attaching some photos of my ride. Didn't exactly get time to click good photos amidst the brouhaha, but managed 3-4 snapshots from my cell phone camera which was in my front pocket and on video recording mode. Because I record my ride on every motorcycle whom I consider worth recording.

1st picture courtesy Google Images. Rest on me.
Attached Thumbnails
'Indian Motorcycle' to make India debut-scoutsilverstatic161.jpg  

'Indian Motorcycle' to make India debut-vlcsnap2015021217h20m44s134.png  

'Indian Motorcycle' to make India debut-vlcsnap2015021217h24m20s181.png  

'Indian Motorcycle' to make India debut-vlcsnap2015021217h25m44s60.png  

barcalad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 13:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Indian Motorcycles has just launched the Indian Chief Dark Horse in India at a price of Rs 21,99,999/- (ex-showroom Delhi). This prices it around Rs 3.50 Lakh below the Chief Classic. The Dark Horse is the first model year 2015 product by the brand and the most affordable variant under Indian's Chief range. While the Dark Horse starts at $16,999 (INR 10.60 Lakh approx.) in the USA, the price in India rises significantly after import duties, given that it too will be sold as a CBU.

Link to Team-BHP news article

'Indian Motorcycle' to make India debut-photoslarge1.jpg

'Indian Motorcycle' to make India debut-photoslarge13.jpg

'Indian Motorcycle' to make India debut-photoslarge5.jpg

'Indian Motorcycle' to make India debut-photoslarge8.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 18th February 2015 at 14:36. Reason: Guess you mean 2015?
Old 26th February 2015, 11:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

Indian are shortly opening their showroom on Infantry Road, Bangalore.

Address is now listed on the website as well:
Exquisite Moto LLP
Prestige Nugget
NO 126, Infantry Road
Bangalore - 560001
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 17:32   #28
BHPian

Happened to see Scout at IBW 2015 and was little disappointed with the height. While it is definitely looks bigger than Street 750, I felt my little modified Superlow would look bigger than the scout. At least that is what I felt when I sat on the bike.

In my view there are many good options for a price of Scout in Harley and Triumph stable that one can explore. Benelli also showcased some good cruisers and not sure how soon it will hit our roads.

Other bikes from Indian stable were too good.
Old 26th February 2015, 21:05   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Indian are shortly opening their showroom on Infantry Road, Bangalore.

Address is now listed on the website as well:
Exquisite Moto LLP
Prestige Nugget
NO 126, Infantry Road
Bangalore - 560001
The Bangalore dealership will be opened in the next few days, which will be followed by a new showroom in Mumbai. The Mumbai showroom will be operated by Auto Hangar whereas the Bangalore dealership will be run by Exquisite Moto.

Once the Bangalore dealership will be operational, the iconic American manufacturer will open showrooms in Ahmedabad, Hyderabad & Chennai.

All the showrooms will display the entire 2015 line-up that includes the Scout, Chief Classic, Chief Vintage, Chieftain and the recently introduced Roadmaster.

Source

Last edited by tjacob : 26th February 2015 at 21:20.
Old 26th February 2015, 23:45   #30
BHPian

Thanks for sharing the ride impression and review! Looks like an exciting bike to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post

Attaching some photos of my ride. Didn't exactly get time to click good photos amidst the brouhaha, but managed 3-4 snapshots from my cell phone camera which was in my front pocket and on video recording mode. Because I record my ride on every motorcycle whom I consider worth recording.

1st picture courtesy Google Images. Rest on me.
Please don't call them as photos Unless this is some special kind of photography. There is no bike in any of the photos - The last pic is epic (please don't mind)

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 26th February 2015 at 23:46.

Most Viewed