Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should I get the 883, even if I break a few bones and banks?
Yes 22 53.66%
No 13 31.71%
Are you crazy!? 6 14.63%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2013, 11:54   #1
BHPian

Dreaming about the HD Iron 883: Should I take the plunge?

Until now, I've never rode a bike apart for getting my license. I might have ridden a scooter maybe 4 or 5 times in my entire life, but never a bike after getting the 2-wheeler license. I never really cared, and all was peachy until about 7 months back.

I touched the first HD Iron 883 that I had seen (seen other HDs before), and I just wanted to ride it. Of course, I couldn't. I kept dreaming about it the whole day, but I didn't have enough experience riding a bike to ask the owner for a test drive. I tried to stop dreaming about it in the following weeks, thinking there's no way I can ever ride that bike, since I've never even ridden a normal geared 2-wheeler.

However, the 883 keeps coming back to me every fortnight, and one way or the other, I end up spending weekends musing over the possibility of whether I can ride it. Or if I will just end up breaking more than a couple of bones with it on top of me. Apart from my lack of experience, I'm just 5'4" and I feel I can't handle it. Anyway, I must have spend at least 14-18 weekends thinking about it over the last half year.

Could somebody please help exorcise me of my lust/love for the 883?
Old 1st August 2013, 13:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Dreaming about the HD Iron 883: Should I take the plunge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Until now, I've never rode a bike apart for getting my license. I might have ridden a scooter maybe 4 or 5 times in my entire life, but never a bike after getting the 2-wheeler license. I never really cared, and all was peachy until about 7 months back.

Apart from my lack of experience, I'm just 5'4" and I feel I can't handle it. Anyway, I must have spend at least 14-18 weekends thinking about it over the last half year. Could somebody please help exorcise me of my lust/love for the 883?
Motorcycling IS dangerous and the thrill of riding one cannot be described in words, it has to be experienced.

With enough practice and caution you should be able to pursue and enjoy your passion in a safe manner.

That said, before you break your bank and God forbid your bones, please buy a commuter bike like the FZ-16 or a Karizma ZMA and learn the basics of riding. Once you have enough practice and confidence, invest in the HD.

Once you get around to riding a "normal" bike, attend a riding school (link). This company conducts a track school a few times every year. Register and attend the school and it will help you learn many important techniques that will ensure you stay in control of your bike and enjoy it while knowing its limits.

This school is not only for those who want to learn how to ride on the race track but for those who also want to get to know their bikes better and improve their riding skills. I've been riding for close to 2 decades now and the school helped me unlearn a lot of things i was doing wrong while riding. Highly recommended, if you ask me.

So, all the best and see you soon on two wheels
n_aditya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 13:51   #3
BHPian

My 2 cents:

First off, the HD is a very heavy bike and even if its weight poses no issues while riding, it should be very much noticeable at low speeds. Since you are a novice i assume that you will be riding at low speeds initially, amplifying the problem! i also suggest that you get the hang of getting a commuter bike before you go for the big 'uns. Atleast try getting hold of an RE sometime and see how comfortable you feel riding it to know your comfort levels when riding a heavy chunk of metal.
chotu_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 14:05   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, most of us fall a few times when learning to ride a bike. (I used to fall a LOT!).

So, would it be better to skid on an inexpensive and light commuter bike or a heavy expensive HD, while learning to ride?
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 12:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dreaming about the HD Iron 883: Should I take the plunge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Well, most of us fall a few times when learning to ride a bike. (I used to fall a LOT!).

So, would it be better to skid on an inexpensive and light commuter bike or a heavy expensive HD, while learning to ride?
If you are a habitual faller (unlike falling for the bike) - I would recommend you stay away from the HD. (I am not belittling your capabilities financially) - But the parts are so expensive, that it'd cause a heart burn to even the richest of the rich! (No offense meant sir!)

Like my good friend Aditya mentioned - First get the nuances of the riding right. Iron 883 stance (or any HD for that matter) is a world apart from any other bikes stance (I meant the seating position, handlebar position, engine response, throttle response, brake response, foot peg positioning to name a few)

I would say - Ride to about 60/70% of your ability on any bike. Get your confidence levels right before mounting something heavy like a HD. believe me 260 kilos on you ain't a pretty sight or feel.

As mentioned in my post - I was very overwhelmed (say sh** scared) by the stature of the HD even though I've been riding for years now.
Old 26th September 2013, 13:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Once you have enough practice and confidence, invest in the HD.
I am not sure that is the right choice of word! It will straightaway lose at least 25% value the moment you take it out of the show room, like any other automobile!

And I understand except the frame and the engine, every other nut and bolt is an "accessory" to be purchased separately, for thousands of rupees!
Old 26th September 2013, 13:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I am not sure that is the right choice of word! It will straightaway lose at least 25% value the moment you take it out of the show room, like any other automobile!

And I understand except the frame and the engine, every other nut and bolt is an "accessory" to be purchased separately, for thousands of rupees!
Sorry sir. I beg to disagree. It is indeed an investment! Alternate investment if I may call it.

And not entirely correct about every nut and bolt being an accessory though metaphorically it does seem so.

You get the frame, the engine, the fenders, the wheels, the seat, the handlebar, the lights, the footpegs, the shocks, the horn, the switches, the air filter, the gear box and a lot more ;-)

No offense meant!
Old 26th September 2013, 14:05   #8
BHPian

In addition to what has been said above, which are all pertinent, please take into serious consideration that the Sportster 883 in its various avatars may not be to the liking of all riders. Its a very individual thing as I myself know enough riders that are very happy with the Sporty. Whereas I see a good number of sparingly used 12 & 13 model sportsters for sale in India now. I am not presuming that all of them are unhappy with their purchase, but I have myself been thru the sportster experience more than a decade back and found out the hard way after buying the bike that it was not for me. I have had couple of friends who went thru this experience as well. Again, I am again not generalizing all Harleys. I have ridden most of the Harleys and loved the rides on a fatboy & Electraglide though.

So ride a test mule properly once you are ready to purchase.

Last edited by Haroon : 26th September 2013 at 14:08.
Old 26th September 2013, 14:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Sorry sir. I beg to disagree. It is indeed an investment! Alternate investment if I may call it.

And not entirely correct about every nut and bolt being an accessory though metaphorically it does seem so.

You get the frame, the engine, the fenders, the wheels, the seat, the handlebar, the lights, the footpegs, the shocks, the horn, the switches, the air filter, the gear box and a lot more ;-)

No offense meant!
No offense taken, but this is what you said:

"Everything is an accessory. The crash guard, the rear seat (costs 8k to 20k) Gosh! The back-rest ~ 10k?, the rear foot peg too costs a fortune."

In this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ron-883-a.html

Last edited by Gansan : 26th September 2013 at 14:36.
Old 26th September 2013, 16:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No offense taken, but this is what you said:

"Everything is an accessory. The crash guard, the rear seat (costs 8k to 20k) Gosh! The back-rest ~ 10k?, the rear foot peg too costs a fortune."

In this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ron-883-a.html
Yes sir I did. But I never said, every other nut and bolt is an accessory. I think for what it is designed for - Solo - The thing that comes out of the box is totally usable product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
In addition to what has been said above, which are all pertinent, please take into serious consideration that the Sportster 883 in its various avatars may not be to the liking of all riders. Its a very individual thing as I myself know enough riders that are very happy with the Sporty.
Haroon sir - Mind telling us more about what about the Iron was not to your liking?

thanks,

Last edited by Shubz : 26th September 2013 at 16:27.
Old 26th September 2013, 19:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Haroon sir - Mind telling us more about what about the Iron was not to your liking?

thanks,

Shubz- When I bought my Sportster, the Iron was not even being made at that time, besides these are purely my personal experience, coz like I said earlier there are lots of people that absolutely love the Sportster and I personally admire Harley bikes for their simplicity and ease of maintenance.

In broad terms, I am referring to the Sportster family.

In Saudi Arabia, prior to owning the HD, I had a Yamaha Virago 750 which was a very comfortable, smooth, reliable and easy handling bike. Infact, nothing to complain about except probably the muted exhaust. However, the HD group had just taken its wings and the group rides, its activities, the rumble on the road, comraderie, the heritage etc was very fascinating and hence personally for me the 'least expensive gatepass to that world' was buying a Sportster as they had a strict code- Non harley bikes not allowed. Those days test rides did not exist.

Coming from a Japanese cruiser, the most annoying thing on my new 883 Custom was the huge vibrations on the handlebar blurring the mirrors and ofcourse the general vibrations on the whole bike (thats been reasonably corrected now with their rubber mounted engine). Riding solo itself it would bottom out on some humps & potholes easily, and any uneven surface on the road would directly travel up my spine. The forward foot controls that I presumed was very comfortable actually put a lot of stress on my lower back muscles over longer rides. While on the handling part you needed to entice & cajole the bike into fast curves and on group rides esp with vibrations, it became an effort to keep up at higher speeds with the roadkings and softails etc. While I thoroghly enjoyed the HOG experience, the bike was just not something I enjoyed getting on everytime. Put it up for sale after about 5000 kms.

BTW, some months back I rode the Triumph Bonneville in NZ and yes that bike did indeed speak to me

Last edited by Haroon : 26th September 2013 at 19:47.
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 21:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

As a recent Harley Superlow owner, I drove it first time in my life when I drove it out of the showroom (I don't count the few hundred meter test ride I had on the 48), and I absolutely loved it. Though I am 6' and fairly well built, I handled the bike as if I had been driving it for years, it's that easy to ride and ergonomically perfect except few niggles in hand controls which you get used to in a week.

It didn't bottom out once driving solo on the 100km ride to Meerut on a fairly bad NH 58. Only when driving pillion does it scrape large speed breakers. This bike is designed and meant to be ridden solo.

It's current build quality is solid as ever and will easily outlast a generation or two. It's fairly heavy than any Indian bike at 260kg and needs a strong body to handle without engine power like backing up etc.

It blasts to 100 kmph at the twist of the throttle and you should be aware of the power sitting between your legs and drive responsibly.

You can easily live with zero accessories right out of the showroom if you plan to keep it solo. The pillion seat and footpegs cost an extra 16k. It also retains value quite well though I have see some less mileage bikes in the market though nothing less than 5L. It cost me 6.5L on road. It is also a attention magnet and not easy to park in public parkings.

You should only buy this bike if it gets your heart strings ringing and you can afford the moolah which it does for me. One of my best purchases ever. Hope that helps...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 09:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You're right Sir. I used the word invest because although the money invested on a vehicle would not appreciate, the returns are definitely high when it comes to the thrills and joy of riding a bike.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 10:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
the returns are definitely high when it comes to the thrills and joy of riding a bike.
That, I agree with absolutely! I myself am eyeing the CBR 250 R and the Duke 390! People at home think I am bonkers to even think of them at 53 but I tell them if not now, when?! I can't wait to buy one of them in the future; I am ALREADY in the future! Neither were such goodies available, nor did I have the money, in my prime! I had to make do with the Suzuki Shogun and the likes!

But still......I think Harleys are way over priced and we pay just for a name. If the on road price at least included the entire package, it may be somewhat ok I feel. We are robbed in the name of customization.

Don't you agree that including the rear seat and foot pegs under "customization" is too much?!

Last year I saw a Bangalore registered Harley at the Shell Pump in my area. Two-three working class guys on Activas and the like had surrounded him and were questioning him curiously. He was answering them patiently and they were nodding. I heard one fellow in the group regularly punctuating the rider's explanations with "Bullet maadhiriyaa? ( I see, like a Bullet?)" , much to his annoyance and to my amusement!

Poor chap, the ultimate and most expensive machine in his imagination was the Bullet, and it was incomprehensible to even think of anything higher!

Last edited by Gansan : 27th September 2013 at 10:39.
Old 27th September 2013, 10:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't you agree that including the rear seat and foot pegs under "customization" is too much?!
Gansan, the rear seat and foot pegs are optional 'only' on those bikes that Harley deems fit to be ridden solo and their suspension and other setups are also constructed to be ridden solo. There are many models on Harley lineup which have the rear seats and are proper two up bikes.

Yes, I agree that these machines are over priced. But then no Indian manufacturer ever gave us so much quality and metal which can only be touched and felt to be experienced properly. Even the Bullets are touching nearly 2 lacs on road prices and they are no where even near the build quality of the Harleys.

Ride one for a while and you will become fan for life. It's the morning cuppa caffeine rush which thankfully money can buy and comes at the cost of just a premium hatchback...

Last edited by dkaile : 27th September 2013 at 10:52.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks