Team-BHP - Kawasaki to launch ZX-10R, ZX-14R motorcycles in India by September 2013
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Kawasaki to launch ZX-10R, ZX-14R motorcycles in India by September 2013 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/139997-kawasaki-launch-zx-10r-zx-14r-motorcycles-india-september-2013-a.html)

Kawasaki is planning to launch the ZX-10R and the ZX-14R in India within a matter of weeks. The price of the ZX-10R is expected to be Rs 15 lakh ex-showroom and ZX-14R is likely to be above the Rs 17 lakh mark. The announcement of the launch and the price details are expected in September.

The move marks a big shift in strategy as well as product mix for Bajaj. The Pune-based manufacturer has been shy of entering the very top-end of the Indian motorcycle market saying that the volumes were too low to justify the cost of training service staff, stocking spares and the attendant processes that go with setting up or adding a CBU operation in India. In theory, the Kawasaki CBU setup should also open the doors to KTM CBUs to come since the back-end processes are largely similar in nature, although the origin of the kits will obviously be from two completely different places, Japan and Austria respectively.

Bajaj’s timing for the CBUs also is worthy of comment. Honda and Suzuki do sell CBUs in the India but the numbers so far have been very small. On the other hand, Yamaha is currently distancing itself from the big and premium motorcycle businesses as it tries to focus on becoming a volume player and shore up its market share in India. All of them say that the big bike business isn’t great in India at the moment. The numbers are minuscule and business is difficult. On the other hand, Harley-Davidson, which set up an assembly facility early in its India strategy, is making good progress without any locally manufactured or volume products in the Indian sense of mass market products.

At the moment, we are hearing that Kawasaki will offer two motorcycles to start with in India. The first is the ZX-10R, Kawasaki’s flagship sportsbike and is highly regarded on many counts. It is said to be the absolute best Japanese litre-class sportsbike money can buy right now. The ZX-10R uses a 209.9PS 998cc inline four, and for a Japanese litre-bike comes with an extremely well-liked, unobtrusive traction control system (branded S-KTRC) and an Ohlins electronic steering damper. Suspension is fully adjustable and ABS is standard with the 310mm front petal dual discs and the rear single 220mm petal disc. Kawasaki also makes a non-ABS variant, and it isn’t clear right now which or if both will arrive on our shores.

Kawasaki will also launch the 210PS ZX-14R, which is currently regarded as the fastest bike in the world. The engine is a massive 1441cc and the motorcycle itself is physically among the largest motorcycles you can buy in the supersport/sport touring categories. The ZX-14R uses a monocoque frame, a trend that started with the altogether more sporty ZX-12R, and among the cycles parts is a standard slipper clutch. The ZX-14R also gets traction control and also comes with ABS and non-ABS models. The price will be more than the ZX-10R, our guess is around the Rs 17-18 lakh mark.

Bajaj is expected to sell both the motorcycles and other forthcoming Kawasaki (and eventually KTM CBUs as well) through their ProBiking network that currently wears full KTM branding. Bajaj has a network of 72 of these dealerships across India and in that sense, their reach with the big bikes will be larger than any of the other Japanese players.

Source: Overdrive.in

Link to News Section

Bajaj Auto could change tack and get into the high-end completely built unit (CBU) motorcycle market in the coming weeks. According to a source-based report on Overdrive, Bajaj Auto could launch the Kawasaki ZX10R and the ZX14R superbikes in the Indian market, in the coming months. The report goes on to add that an announcement in this regard is likely in September.

Kawasaki to launch ZX-10R, ZX-14R motorcycles in India by September 2013-1default.jpeg

Both motorcycles, if at all launched in India, are expected to be imported through the completely built unit (CBU) route. Bajaj Auto's CBU strategy, if it has any credence to it, would mark a major shift in trajectory for the Pune based motorcycle maker, which has thus far eschewed the CBU route citing low volumes.

Kawasaki to launch ZX-10R, ZX-14R motorcycles in India by September 2013-2default.jpeg

If indeed Bajaj Auto begins importing Kawasaki's high performance motorcycles through the CBU route, the field opens up to the possibility of bigger capacity KTM motorcycles such as the Duke 690 and the RC8 also being imported into India as CBUs. Notably, Bajaj Auto holds a 49% stake in Austrian motorcycle maker KTM, and builds and markets the Duke small capacity motorcycle range.

Bajaj Auto and Kawasaki are in collaboration to sell and market the latter's sportsbikes in the Indian market. Kawasaki has an assembly facility at Bajaj Auto's Chakan unit under the India Kawasaki Motor banner. This facility assembles the Ninja 300R and the Ninja 650R motorcycles through completely knocked down (CKD) kits imported from Thailand.

Kawasaki to launch ZX-10R, ZX-14R motorcycles in India by September 2013-2013-kawasaki-ninja-zx14r-1.jpg

Bajaj also uses Kawasaki's distribution network in countries such as Indonesia and Colombia, where the former sells its flagship Pulsar range of sporty motorcycles. The 2013 Kawasaki ZX10R features a 998cc in-line four cylinder engine that outputs 197 Bhp of peak power and 112 Nm of peak torque. The motorcycle competes with the likes of the Yamaha R1, BMW S1000RR, Suzuki GSX10R and the Honda CBR1000RR.

The Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R, is a high performance super sports tourer with a 1,441cc in-line four cylinder engine that outputs 210 PS of peak power with the Ram Air induction system, and 163 Nm of peak torque. The ZX14R's prime competitors are the Suzuki Hayabusa and the BMW K1300S.

Kawasaki to launch ZX-10R, ZX-14R motorcycles in India by September 2013-2013-kawasaki-ninja-zx14r-2.jpg

Bajaj Auto runs Pro-Biking outlets in India, to sell and service high end motorcycles from KTM and Kawasaki. The Indian motorcycle giant has 72 Pro-Biking dealerships across the country. Kawasaki's CBU motorcycle range, if imported into India, is expected to be sold and serviced through Pro-Biking outlets.

Bajaj has been talking about this from a very long time. They initially spoke of a 750 and then went on to the zx10r and stuck on that note for over one and a half years. The zx14r i guess would be their answer for the Hayabusa, which does enjoy its fan following here in India. The zx14r is a better bike in my opinoun considering it does have traction control, ABS, is around 20 odd bhp more then the Hayabusa and is also around 100 cc more. The ride is also more relaxed and its a great bike to ride on the highways. I was told the price difference between the Hayabusa ltd edition and the zx14r is said to be a lakh of rupees. Hayabusa (17.30), Hayabusa ltd edition (17.90) and zx14r (18.90).
I was told by a friend that 2 bikes are being brought down by august and they are to be delivered to John Abraham and our very own forum member InsanRoller who already does have a zx14r with him. I am sure Insaneroller can shed some light on this.
I was almost ready to put my money down for the Hayabusa but have decided to wait to see if the ZX14R actually does make its way to India. I for one will take the zx14r in red or a white :).

Yummy piece of information DJ! This was in the ranks for a while now. Bajaj/KTM (erstwhile Probiking) outlets have been throwing hints at this since the Duke 200 launch.

Note from Support - Post edited. Please avoid Off Topic discussions. Kindly stick to the topic being discussed.

Man oh man. The big boys have finally arrived. Just wish we had safer roads to ride them on. I am trying to think of roads where one can enjoy the new KTM. Don't know what your gonna need to whack open the throttle on one of these motorcycles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeepmohan (Post 3203220)
Man oh man. The big boys have finally arrived. Just wish we had safer roads to ride them on. I am trying to think of roads where one can enjoy the new KTM. Don't know what your gonna need to whack open the throttle on one of these motorcycles.

Wishful thinking Sandeep! :-( The big boys can only experience bursts of adrenaline for short distances.

India can get the big bikes and people can buy them. But cannot use them to their potential in many places (rather most places). But the market for them is evergreen!

OMG, this is so cool, But why wont Bajaj instead focus on the almighty and comparatively cheaper and cooler ZX6R. Such a wonderful machine and stepping into mid weight segments could spark a new era in Indian market.
PS: I just cant stop thinking about 2013 ZX6R right from the time it was released ;)

Interesting news indeed. I was getting bored seeing the Fireblades and R1s. I wonder why Bajaj/Kawasaki could not consider the CKD route? Am sure that would have dropped the prices.

The ZX14R looks like a mothership ! Hope there are better colours available. So far Bajaj/Kawasaki have disappointed with only one colour on the Ninja 650.

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pratap.pratu (Post 3203767)
OMG, this is so cool, But why wont Bajaj instead focus on the almighty and comparatively cheaper and cooler ZX6R. Such a wonderful machine and stepping into mid weight segments could spark a new era in Indian market.
PS: I just cant stop thinking about 2013 ZX6R right from the time it was released ;)

I think it would be haveing something to do with eating into the ninja 650's market share. The other possibility is that Bajaj/Kawasaki are waiting for other manufacturers to make the first move and then play with the price to get the share.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plimsollmark (Post 3204569)
Interesting news indeed. I was getting bored seeing the Fireblades and R1s. I wonder why Bajaj/Kawasaki could not consider the CKD route? Am sure that would have dropped the prices.

The ZX14R looks like a mothership ! Hope there are better colours available. So far Bajaj/Kawasaki have disappointed with only one colour on the Ninja 650.

Cheers.

I think they have an India arm for Kawasaki in the Bajaj factory itself where if they choose can assemble the bikes as they do for the KTM's.

As per what i was informed is the bike will come in their flagship Green color for now. I personally find this ridiculous as a person buying such an expensive bike (Rs 21 Lakhs on road Mumbai) does not have a choice of colors like abroad. This is the biggest factor for me to rethink if i want to get the bike as i like it in red or then white. If i am paying such a high price for the bike the least i can expect is color choices instead of either importing body panels or re spraying the bike to a color of my liking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy (Post 3206131)
... I personally find this ridiculous as a person buying such an expensive bike (Rs 21 Lakhs on road Mumbai) does not have a choice of colors like abroad. This is the biggest factor for me to rethink if i want to get the bike as i like it in red or then white. If i am paying such a high price for the bike the least i can expect is color choices instead of either importing body panels or re spraying the bike to a color of my liking.

agree:this is ridiculous. One pays almost twice as much money as you would in say US/UK and still don't get to choose the color. can't bajaj use there paint booth for this? And these doesn't seem to be ckd route for 10R and 14R.bikes will be imported on booking. whats wrong in allowing customer to choose the color?

Quote:

Originally Posted by the VTEC guy (Post 3206211)
agree:this is ridiculous. One pays almost twice as much money as you would in say US/UK and still don't get to choose the color. can't bajaj use there paint booth for this? And these doesn't seem to be ckd route for 10R and 14R.bikes will be imported on booking. whats wrong in allowing customer to choose the color?

These bikes are CBU's and i am sure since Bajaj would use its existing dealerships can stock a few bikes in different colors and then bring them on order. Kawasaki does have 5 colors to choose from for the zx14r but wants to get the green..:Frustrati. Suzuki offers three colors for the Hayabusa out of the 4 colors they have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy (Post 3206235)
These bikes are CBU's and i am sure since Bajaj would use its existing dealerships can stock a few bikes in different colors and then bring them on order.

Couple of weeks back, during my recent visit to the Kawasaki/KTM service center at Seawoods, Navi Mumbai, to get my Ninja 300 serviced, I met Mr. Mayank Bhatt, Area Service Engineer. He had given me a heads up that Kawasaki is planning something big and will be bringing the big boys. Interestingly, he also mentioned that Kawasaki will setup its own showrooms and dealerships. In fact a showroom has already been identified in Navi Mumbai and furnishing work has already started. Looks like the Probiking showrooms will be only for KTM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PratikPatel (Post 3206453)
Interestingly, he also mentioned that Kawasaki will setup its own showrooms and dealerships. In fact a showroom has already been identified in Navi Mumbai and furnishing work has already started. Looks like the Probiking showrooms will be only for KTM.

That's a nice piece of information. I always felt that Kawasaki was getting the "step-motherly" treatment with the introduction of KTM's. The Kawa logo and branding was reduced to hardly noticeable size after the KTM branding took off.

Good to note that the Kawasaki brand will have its own space.

P.S. Do post a review of your 300. Being a 250R owner, I'm eagerly awaiting an extensive ownership review on the new 300.

Kawasaki will launch a superbike in India on the 4th of September,2013 as per Motorbeam!

http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/kawas...eptember-2013/

Ninja ZX-10R to be launched at around Rs. 20 lakhs (on-road, Mumbai) as per Motorbeam!

http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/kawas...-ninja-zx-10r/