Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2014, 15:58   #481
BHPian

Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

@abhimanyu_singh Congrats on the new acquisition. Ride safe.

And don't forget to change the signature of yours now!!

I haven't noticed any such problems in mine though. I have read in one of the threads about the similar problem faced by a BHPian. It was solved by action similar to what dkaile has suggested.

Cheers

Last edited by SDRam : 17th November 2014 at 16:00.
SDRam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 17:04   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRam View Post
@abhimanyu_singh Congrats on the new acquisition. Ride safe.

And don't forget to change the signature of yours now!!

I haven't noticed any such problems in mine though. I have read in one of the threads about the similar problem faced by a BHPian. It was solved by action similar to what dkaile has suggested.

Cheers
Thanks buddy, changed the signature as well

I've tried it all, but it seems that one of the clamps is a bit weak and comes off easily. Shubz and other FB friends have been suggesting that the dealer would add zip ties to further strengthen it. I'll get that done once i'm back in Delhi next month, till then cant do anything.

Last edited by abhimanyu_singh : 17th November 2014 at 17:15.
Old 17th November 2014, 17:19   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyu_singh View Post
But after even a short ride one of the clamps gets detached.
To make matter clearer, here is the base clamp I am talking about. See that this is properly attached as shown in my picture -
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-superlow-battery-cover_1.jpg

Also these 2 clasps on the top can be shifted left or right just by pushing them to correctly align with the side cover mounts.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-superlow-battery-cover_2.jpg

This should solve your issue, otherwise you can always use a zip tie on these 2 slots to permanently attach the side cover without fear of falling. Though I don't think this is needed and the above 2 steps should solve your issue.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-superlow-battery-cover_3.jpg
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 18:05   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
To make matter clearer, here is the base clamp I am talking about. See that this is properly attached as shown in my picture -
Thanks for the detailed instructions Dheeraj Sir. However I did take it out properly, checked for any bulges inside (which might obstruct proper closing of the cover), fitted it properly in the base clamp, alligned the top clamps properly and closed them.

The main issue here is that the clamp on the left doesnt hold, its weak, can come off with a finger. The one on the right is solid as a rock. I looked at the day1 pics and noticed that it was lose all along. I've been riding the bike for the past 3 days (450kms) like this and had no clue. It was the pothole which made me realise. Another intersting thing in my case is that 2015 superlow doesnt come with the slot for zip tie as shown in the picture, which in a way adds to my confusion.

Last edited by abhimanyu_singh : 17th November 2014 at 18:08.
Old 17th November 2014, 18:09   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However I did take it out properly
If the bottom clamp is properly fitted in the groove then the side panel can never fall to the ground. At the most it can open up and hang supported by that bottom clamp. Yes, the left top clamp has little less grip than the right one in most bikes. You can use the zip-tie if you are overly cautious.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 20:41   #486
BHPian

Yes, you are right, I'll see if i can get the zip-ties in place. As a quick-fix I've added a layer of tape to the clamp on the cover so that the grip is tightened, it seems to work as of now. Will take this up during the first service next month. Thanks for the responses guys, will get back to creating the ownership thread now
Old 17th November 2014, 21:07   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you are right, I'll see if i can get the zip-ties in place. As a quick-fix I've added a layer of tape to the clamp on the cover so that the grip is tightened, it seems to work as of now. Will take this up during the first service next month. Thanks for the responses guys, will get back to creating the ownership thread now
It is a know issue with Iron and Superlow. The option is a Zip-Ties. They do it by default for the bike here in Bangalore.

Looking forward for your ownership thread and do let us know if you happen to be in Bangalore on your Harley.
Dust_Harl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 11:44   #488
BHPian

Nice write up and pictures there... Although gotta, ask. where did you strap the Claw mini? The right side, cant see any. Although left side, i see its strapped to the Swingarm??
nosfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 12:52   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosfreak View Post
where did you strap the Claw mini?
The claw was strapped at 3 places. First at the back, the strap going through both side indicators (which are solid unlike other bikes) and the rear mudguard. Second as you saw was in one of the swing arms. Though both sides could have been strapped to the swing arms. But on one side I found it easier to loop it through the body frame from under the side panel, hence it is not visible. The body frame too could have been used on either sides. Hence lots of options to strap it on. You can refer to the installation video of the Claw on Viaterra website which incidentally is on a Bullet to get a better idea.
Old 2nd December 2014, 21:29   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
MT Helmets are much better than the Taiwanese THH ones. THH comes in free size which is not very good in the long run. My THH has gradually become loose and is now ready to blow off my head at speeds of 140+. MT are OE suppliers to many big brands like AGV which will cost you almost twice the cost for basically the same helmet. They are manufactured in Europe to tight standards. They come in exact sizes though I did take a size larger as that fitted me snug and proper. I would say you spend that 500 Rs. extra and go for a MT. There is no comparison.
Sir I finally decided on MT helmet from the same moto 101 store . I quoted you to ask if the plus size option you decided on is still fitting nicely ( a little loose is fine but does it move around very easily or to the extent that you find it as a potential safety risk ) or not ?
My experience also tells me to go for L ( crown measurement - 57.5cm , Large starts from 59cm ) but at this price point , wish to be sure about the choice . Your opinion is valuable to me and will ask the lady to hold shipping until I decide on the size . I wear prescription glasses and do based on experience feel a tight helmet will make wearing glasses very uncomfortable ?
Old 3rd December 2014, 09:13   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
I quoted you to ask if the plus size option you decided on is still fitting nicely
Well it is fitting me well but that said, a helmet's fitting is a personal thing. What may suit me may not anatomically suit others. I have always picked a size larger and have been comfortable with a slightly loose fitting over time as I too like to wear my sunglasses. But as you are aware that all helmets will become slightly loose over time and you should choose accordingly.
Old 10th December 2014, 00:54   #492
BHPian

Hi Dheeraj,

I have read this thread end to end over time and found it one of the most interesting ones.

While you and some of the fellow BHP-ians here talk about tech stuff etc., all of you demonstrate a huge passion for whatever you do and inspire so many us.

I would like to thank you for inspiring me to once again get back to biking. Waiting for my Street 750 delivery in the next 10 days, most eagerly.

Meerut is a lovely place and so are the people, perhaps its the sweet water that runs in the place

Look forward to seeing you all in Feb in Goa. I do hope this time you and your friends, ride all the way from Meerut!

Its a privilege to be here and look forward to learning more and more from all of you.
rakesh_S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 21:46   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_S View Post
Hi Dheeraj,

I would like to thank you for inspiring me to once again get back to biking. Waiting for my Street 750 delivery in the next 10 days, most eagerly.
WOW! definitely the HOG community is growing at a fast pace here in Bangalore.

Congratulation on your booking Rakesh. Looking forward to see you soon on one of the Sunday rides here in Bangalore.

#LLB
Old 10th December 2014, 23:58   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post
WOW! definitely the HOG community is growing at a fast pace here in Bangalore.

Congratulation on your booking Rakesh. Looking forward to see you soon on one of the Sunday rides here in Bangalore.

#LLB
Thank you Dust_Hal, will surely join the rides, hopefully Sunday next week.
Old 14th December 2014, 20:48   #495
BHPian

Hi Dheeraj,

Just had a couple of queries. Would be grateful if you could let me have some insight:

1. MT Helmets - Was considering one seriously. One of the reviews mentioned that it tends to develop pressure points over time. How has been your experience so far?

2. I do like the way you 'Harley' your helmets, jackets etc. Where do you find your stickers, patches etc.?

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks