Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2016, 12:32   #586
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: haridwar
Posts: 588
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Iron is a good package now. But do not try any outside 1200 upgrade kit as I doubt any dealership or person can give you factory quality.
I get all my vehicles usually repaired from outside agencies which cost a fraction of what a company workshop quotes and I also get a better job done in the bargain. I even service my Harley myself now. Case in point, I had a small mishap with my Skoda Superb recently. The dealership quoted a cost of 1 lac rupees because they would rather replace the whole bonnet than just get its dent removed. I got it done from a 3rd party workshop with total damages less than 8k.
Dhiraj San, on one hand you advice someone not to go for any aftermarket product or service, in same breath you say you get all your car's work done outside the factory workshops. I understand you might be concerned about technicalities of something like an engine upgrade, but exactly for the same reason I would stay away from factory workshop. These guys are great for handle bar installs and usual servicing. But ask them to tune the EFI, they look at each other as if they saw a ghost. Ask them any technical question and they get spooked.
On quality, well one needs to put in some research in the field and find people who provide quality as their priority.
I went for Hammer performance 1250 kit after researching for over a year and I am fully satisfied with quality and performance it brings. In fact so satisfied and confident of its build that I decided to plonk a Turbo over it.
Since then I have recommended Hammer 1250 to many sportster owners and every one is pretty excited about tons of torque they have over factory 1200 48 and very satisfied people for the money they spent.

I would advocate HDs own 1200 kit as well, If workshop mechanics had knowledge of EFI tune, could interpret sensor output and if that kit did not cost nearly twice the aftermarket kit despite of coming with non-forged pistons.

If you haven't had a great experience with people outside official workshop, may be you did not find the right people.

Last edited by dustom_99 : 21st April 2016 at 12:51.
dustom_99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 13:18   #587
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 3,227
Thanked: 6,087 Times
Default Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
Dhiraj San, on one hand you advice someone not to go for any aftermarket product or service, in same breath you say you get all your car's work done outside the factory workshops.
If you haven't had a great experience with people outside official workshop, may be you did not find the right people.
Lolz dustom. I think you have not followed on to my Heritage thread. I do advocate Harley parts because their quality is unsurpassed. But I do not advocate their service anymore. In fact I have serviced my Heritage Softail myself BUT after sourcing parts from Capital Harley. I do try out many DIY's with some aftermarket parts and in fact I have a project underway right now where I am fitting aftermarket LED lights to the front and rear fenders of my Heritage with some original Harley parts and some aftermarket one but usually when it comes to crucial engine components, I would like to trust only the original parts. Please read all my current threads completely before commenting. You may be a dealer of the said upgrade kit hence I may have touched a raw nerve as you have a vested interest in its sale. But in case of engine upgrades I do not and will not recommend amateurs unless I am 100% sure.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 21st April 2016 at 13:38.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 13:46   #588
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: delhi
Posts: 59
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
You need forward controls and not risers imho. However, speedo clamps should not be affected by risers afaik. Please do check thoroughly before ordering as most good AliExpress sellers do reply to your queries. But do remember that Harley parts are over-engineered to last at least 2 generations with proper maintenance, hence the costs. I have had bad experience from most non-harley parts.

Cheers...
Well if your 6 foot then the riding position on the Iron takes a toll on your back due to the handle bar position.
Im 6"2 and used an iron for close to 6 months before i sold it. I swapped the stock bars for the mini ape Harley OEM bars. I also had forward controls installed but the the change of handle bars will be a better 1st upgrade than the forward controls IMHO.
Rest as you ride more youll be in a better position to decide what accessories you want and can slowly add them as and when you like.
Its a harley, the updates will never stop
fiorano88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 13:51   #589
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: haridwar
Posts: 588
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I do advocate Harley parts because their quality is unsurpassed.
You may be a dealer of the said upgrade kit hence I may have touched a raw nerve as you have a vested interest in its sale. But in case of engine upgrades I do not and will not recommend amateurs unless I am 100% sure.

Cheers...
Dhiraj san,
Quality is unsurpassed? Really, which performance part would that be?
Why do you do DIY with parts & service on motorcycle since you don't recommend armatures? Are you a pro?

But anyway, You did touch a raw nerve, because you have no experience of engine or engine upgrade, and yet you advice. I have no vested interest, I just recommend hammer performance because I have used it, and others have used it on my recommendation too.
If some one is going to US he can bring back his own kit. You can re read the previous post and tell me if I anywhere said people should knock on my door for these components.
I recommend Hammer performance, NHRS,S&S engine kits over HD all day long. They are cheaper and provide more power, runs cooler.
I have done it many times and certainly know more than experts with zero experience.

Last edited by dustom_99 : 21st April 2016 at 14:01.
dustom_99 is offline  
Old 21st April 2016, 13:59   #590
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 3,227
Thanked: 6,087 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
Why do you do DIY with parts & service on motorcycle since you don't recommend armatures? Are you a pro?
How do you see yourself recommending yourself to work on your bike.
Any formal education in this field, any history sheet?
Doing routine maintenance or small electrical DIYs cannot be compared to opening up the engine fully and tinkering with the innards. I do the jobs of which I am 100% confident and of course I am a amateur. But those jobs do not require a trained professional.

Cheers...

Last edited by noopster : 22nd April 2016 at 11:35. Reason: Your point has been noted by mods and we will take suitable action if warranted
dkaile is online now  
Old 6th October 2017, 00:43   #591
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 41
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

Very nice to see the fiddling!

The headlight ring really does gives it a class. The eyebrow piece, would it have been ok to get it chrome powdered instead of a new one?

And also I found out that Allen comes in 2 sizes. The inch measured ones fit the Harley screws.

I would also go for Pirelli diablo Rosso II rear tyre if I find a mechanic to do the job here.
FasterSon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 11:21   #592
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 38
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

My battery cover fell off. After I got the bike serviced I forgot to cable tie it. Stupid me. Regretting it now. Now Ive to buy a new one.
Anyone else been in this situation before? The original one is gonna cost a bomb. On US website it's abt 100$.
I'm pretty sure I don't have a choice but still trying for an alternative.
Avior is offline  
Old 19th July 2020, 20:58   #593
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: chitradurga
Posts: 244
Thanked: 664 Times
Default Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avior View Post
My battery cover fell off. After I got the bike serviced I forgot to cable tie it. Stupid me. Regretting it now. Now Ive to buy a new one.
Anyone else been in this situation before? The original one is gonna cost a bomb. On US website it's abt 100$.
I'm pretty sure I don't have a choice but still trying for an alternative.
These were quite cheap on Ali express sadly due to covid now shipping is being quoted a bomb on these. If you can get it from the states also try ebay you can get used ones for 30$
mh09ad5578 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks