Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2013, 11:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

Wow! What a wonderfull start of the day to see your Hog thread first thing on Team BHP bro. Huge Congrats on the Hog, She looks beautiful and the attention to detail and quality in all the little things shines through from each of the wonderful photos you have painstakingly shared with us. Wish it had spoked wheels though. The quality of chrome is breathtaking all around except probably on the rear shock springs (local?). As for the accessories, you would need to get used to the prices bro. Nothing comes cheap on a Harley! Now do get decent riding pants, boots, gloves, and a jacket, and head for the hills!!!! And send us photos of course.

Last edited by ebonho : 11th September 2013 at 11:26.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 11:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations dkaile!!

Wonderful addition to life I must say and it will keep you busy with the modifications as well as rides.
Ride a lot! Its the best stress buster in the whole world!
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 12:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the bike . Thanks for loads of pictures . The accessories are really expensive . Ride safe . Keep updating the thread .

I did not understand the engine oil reservoir . Could you explain this ? Does the engine oil here is circulated and become hot ? Most the bikes have place on the engine itself where you pour the engine oil .

Last edited by black12rr : 11th September 2013 at 12:38.
black12rr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 12:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Please post a video of the of the sound.
Thanks. The video will come up soon with a walk around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
A picture with the HD cap and t shirt along with the bike?
Thanks. Soon on a ride with my Meerut HOGs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
So do the Superlow and the Iron 883 share the same engine ?
Thanks. Yes, its exactly the same engine except the Iron's finished in black. I always had a fetish for chrome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Wish it had spoked wheels though. The quality of chrome is breathtaking all around except probably on the rear shock springs (local?). As for the accessories, you would need to get used to the prices bro. Nothing comes cheap on a Harley! Now do get decent riding pants, boots, gloves, and a jacket, and head for the hills!!!! And send us photos of course.
Thanks ebonho. Means a lot coming from our in house bike expert. Rear Springs are also imported as far as I can tell and the chrome finish is good enough. Will check them out in detail. Will be adding the gear slowly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
I did not understand the engine oil reservoir . Could you explain this ? Does the engine oil here is circulated and become hot ? Most the bikes have place on the engine itself where you pour the engine oil .
Thanks. The engine oil reservoir recirculates the oil to the engine and the levels need to be checked here. I did not feel anything hot on the outside of the side panel. Must be insulated. It's just a fancy contraption I guess but a convenient one for the owner at that. The engine oil is refilled from this point only after the drain out.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 13:03   #20
BHPian

Congrats!! As you said it really suits you. Apt for your personality

25k for that back rest??! That's too expensive. I think some workshop can build and chrome it much cheaper .

Great choice and ride safe.
vaisakhr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 16:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant review dkaile. Superb details and lots of pictures. Thanks for sharing. I had a similar line of thinking as yours and I have booked Superlow in Bangalore a month back. Here it is about 3-4 months of wait time before I get the bike. I will be eagerly watching your ownership thread and the mods that you are going through.
hondadude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 00:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
It does cost a bomb though (25k).
Is it 25k for the rear seat and back rest or just the back rest and a separate amount for the rear seat?
Old 12th September 2013, 08:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Is it 25k for the rear seat and back rest or just the back rest and a separate amount for the rear seat?
Well its just the backrest. It's the sum of different parts like -

- Detachable Chrome Sideplates Rs. 9836/-
- Docking Hardware Kit Rs. 2790/-
- Short Sissy (Backrest) Bar Upright Rs. 4342/-
- Short Backrest Pad Rs. 4190/- (I think this can easily be made at any upholstery shop for not more than 500 bucks, but anyways)
- Chrome Backrest Mount Rs. 1882/-. This is optional and not necessary.
Total = Rs. 23,040/-. If mount is removed its still 21,158/-

I know its a rip off but then the quality and chrome of Harley is hard to be replicated at local fabrication shops.
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 09:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Dkaile. A great looking machine. Now get your hands dirty and show us some elbow grease as well

Add a windshield from HD and those windshields are design to actually shield the rider from wind unlike those offered by Indian companies.

Last but not the least, you have to get some leather hangings on the hand grip.

Actually this is the last but not the least, grow your hair, your beard(may be 2 feet long), some dark messaging tattoos and start smoking cigars. Its not for you, but for the machine. It deserves that attention.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 09:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Last but not the least, you have to get some leather hangings on the hand grip.

Actually this is the last but not the least, grow your hair, your beard(may be 2 feet long), some dark messaging tattoos and start smoking cigars. Its not for you, but for the machine. It deserves that attention.
Ha ha.. Your comments made me laugh for sure. You do want to turn me into a hippie.

Talking of beards, here's one

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-beards.jpg
dkaile is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 12:11   #26
BHPian

Hey Mr. Dkaile congratulations on your new ride. Your review was a pleasure to read and wish your love for your Fortuner will not be diminished. Happy (s)miles!
Ahmed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 12:25   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
cont...

The Rear Lights
Attachment 1136876
======
My finger keeps hitting the left indicator button instead of the horn. Needs getting used to.

That's all for now folks...

That's a lovely ride you have acquired there mate. Congrats. I totally agree with you about the position of the horn button. I keep missing it and have to get my eyes off the road to locate it. This is quite dangerous on our roads where people are sneaking upon you from all sides and especially when they see the day time running lights they leave all the important things they might be doing and jump in front of the bike asking you to switch it off.
MonsterPatrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 12:51   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the new HD. Now's the time to decorate the bike with a Team-BHP sticker or two! And head for the hills.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 12:59   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Dhiraj,

Many Congratulations for the Superlow.

Have a blast, but ride safe
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 13:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

^
Thanks mates for your good wishes.

So I went ahead and adjusted the rear shocker on my own to Position 3 of 5 (see photo of manual attached). It was a simple 2 minute job and I used a pipe wrench on the advise of a local Superlow owner of the Meerut HOGs. He advised me to use the pipe wrench with a cloth so as to not scratch anything but since it was not gripping I used without any cloth and still there was no mark or scratch on the adjusting ring. Quite a good build quality in fact.

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-rear-shocker-adjustment_1.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-rear-shocker-adjustment_2.jpg

Also got this good quality bike cover from ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/300757273884...84.m1439.l2649 for just Rs. 1276/-. Fits my bike perfectly (photos attached). The original cover costs 10 grand.

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-bike-cover.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-bike-cover_1.jpg

Packs up into this nice small bag. Quite convenient.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-bike-cover_3.jpg

And finally here's the VIDEO of the walkaround and the sound of the Harley. Its quite loud as it is with stock exhausts. My neighbours all look out when I start the bike in the morning, my tennis members have threatened to ban the bike in the club as they miss the shot due to its noise...lolz. I do not know how people can live with screaming eagles and not get sued, lolz. Overall the bike is a attention magnet and I have become tired of answering people's queries and have now shifted to ignoring them.

Last edited by dkaile : 12th September 2013 at 13:58.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed