Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2013, 14:12   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Leather'ite is NOT leather. Most probably derived from polyester. It feels and looks just like leather but is just lighter compared to a hideskin one. The finish and stuff is world class. It is slim fit so I could hardly fit into the XXL size whereas my normal 'American' size is XL. It is not ventilated or armoured but a normal everyday wearable and rideable Leather(ite) Jacket with excellent design. OE Harley Leather Jackets are in the 30K range. If you want OE wait for Jan when they are available on 50% off sales. But OE Harleys lasts a lifetime...
The riding jacket is good... congrats.

, XL size Leather'ite jacket sis not fit you because of slim fit design, as you have explained. Slim fit shirts/ t-shirts, etc, tapers towards to the tummy & waist. I faced same problem 3 years back, but now I can easily fit in slim fit shirts in summers (*).

Moreover, there are difference in size nomenclature of the international brands. Some follow Euro & other American size patters, & thus

* In winters, I am lazy to get out of bed early, & the slim fit shirt does not look good , if I am not wearing a pullover or a Coat/ Tweed.
Old 30th November 2013, 15:16   #152
Senior - BHPian

3 month; 1350km

Fastest I have driven a bike to 1000km mark in my life. 1356km on the odo. ZERO issues...
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley_30112013_1.jpg

Solid styling
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley_30112013_2.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley_30112013_3.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley_30112013_4.jpg

Reclaiming my life, one day at a time, with a Harley...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 08:55   #153
Senior - BHPian

Well, we had quite a ride yesterday. It turned out to be a biker's nightmare/dream depending upon the perspective one holds. Due to "Chakka Jaam" agitation of farmers of West UP, we had to take route diversion leaving the main highway onto '2 feet' potholed roads...

Like this one, surrounded by the agitating farmers, more interested in our bikes than their agitation.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-ride-01122013_1.jpg

Roads, and then their were none. We had to go through 4 feet of grassland in some places.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-ride-01122013_2.jpg

This was a decent strip
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-ride-01122013_3.jpg

The dust was the testimony to our brilliant ride
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-ride-01122013_4.jpg

Finally the Harley's managed it with aplomb. We are now sure we can take them to Leh seeing the test conditions they managed to get through. Though on battered surfaces the ride does get jittery.

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-ride-01122013_6.jpg
Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 2nd December 2013 at 08:56.
Old 2nd December 2013, 09:36   #154
BHPian

Beautiful Bike! I have never been a bike person, never had one and never rode one, but looking at this I start wondering if there really is a biker hidden somewhere in me!

I will surely get one of those jackets though, if not the bike.

OT: One of the photographs shows a UA 04 registration! That's a Haldwani/Nainital digit, are you from there?
aditbelw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:05   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditbelw View Post
OT: One of the photographs shows a UA 04 registration! That's a Haldwani/Nainital digit, are you from there?
Thanks for the compliments. No, we are all from Meerut, U.P.
Old 2nd December 2013, 11:59   #156
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see the Harleys going off the road and getting dirty. In Pune all the Harleys I have seen are immaculately polished (both the bike and the rider).
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2013, 13:01   #157
Senior - BHPian

Did today's ride with a closed (full face) helmet. The helmet makes a lot of difference in the aerodynamic qualities. Next stage is performance exhausts (Screaming Eagles or Vance & Hines) and intake filter. But I will decide that after coming back from IBW 2014 at Goa after talking feedback from the 1000+ Harley riders who are supposedly going to be there.

Last edited by noopster : 13th December 2013 at 18:54. Reason: Absolutely no references to high speeds on streets, thanks!
Old 13th December 2013, 15:53   #158
Senior - BHPian

Well, the original ROOTS Horn was loud enough but still a little puny single "pi pi" type for this kind of a bike. So I found this item on Ebay India yesterday - http://www.ebay.in/itm/260956725304?...84.m1497.l2649 . This is also an original ROOTS Horn but it is a 'Skoda Type Dual Tone' one. Only difference is that it is a 5A unit instead of the original 2.5A one. I hope that does not mess up any electricals as the difference is marginal.

Got it delivered today
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-roots-windtone-horn_1.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-roots-windtone-horn_2.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-roots-windtone-horn_3.jpg

This looked like a exact OE place to attach these horns to the bike's lower chassis
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-roots-windtone-horn_4.jpg

Here it is after final fitment
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-roots-windtone-horn_5.jpg

No wires cut. Dual horn wire kit used (got it for 25 bucks). No original hardware/horn touched. Just 2 stainless steel screws used to attach horn to chassis (20 bucks). I can go back to the original horn at any time.

Now the bike sounds like a Harley'ish Skoda. It is twice as loud as the original. Full 'paisa vasool' in 750 bucks. This is one upgrade all Harley owners should do immediately.

Last edited by dkaile : 13th December 2013 at 15:56.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 15:58   #159
Senior - BHPian

Dhiraj - What about warranty? I think HD guys may scream hoarse saying "No warranty since you used aftermarket products"
Old 13th December 2013, 16:00   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No wires cut. Dual horn wire kit used (got it for 25 bucks). No original hardware/horn touched. Just 2 stainless steel screws used to attach horn to chassis. I can go back to the original horn at any time.

Now the bike sounds like a Harley'ish Skoda. It is twice as loud as the original. Full 'paisa vasool' in 750 bucks.
Bro, from experienc, the way you have mounted these horns is wrong. This way when water gets inside the trumpet, its never going to be able to come out (think WC flush here .....), and over time its going to spoil the diaphragm and the horns are going to make cat like mewing sounds instead of blowing loud and proper.

Also, the location where you have mounted the horns is prone to damage and hits. Not an issue in your case of course when you consider a 750 buck piece of equipment versus the multiple lac piece of equipment just behind ..... but yes, a bit higher and to each side would have been better.
Old 13th December 2013, 16:08   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Dhiraj - What about warranty? I think HD guys may scream hoarse saying "No warranty since you used aftermarket products"
Like I said I can go back to the original hardware at any time without a spec of proof of anything ever been attached, if any issue occurs. However the original horn is also a 'Roots' unit. I foresee no issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Bro, from experienc, the way you have mounted these horns is wrong. This way when water gets inside the trumpet, its never going to be able to come out (think WC flush here .....), and over time its going to spoil the diaphragm and the horns are going to make cat like mewing sounds instead of blowing loud and proper.

Also, the location where you have mounted the horns is prone to damage and hits. Not an issue in your case of course when you consider a 750 buck piece of equipment versus the multiple lac piece of equipment just behind ..... but yes, a bit higher and to each side would have been better.
You are right in a sense bro but I had no other place to mount without disturbing or drilling into original chassis which I did not want to do. Also these horns are 'waterproof' and 'spray proof' as written in their specifications. I have also given them a slight lower tilt so that any water that does manage to go inside may drain out. Also the horn is at least 4 inches above the lowest point of the bike. That should avoid any hits. Rest, its just a 750 bucks equipment, as I said. In case it goes kaput, I just need to plug the wires straight back into the OE horn which is still attached there as it is.
Old 13th December 2013, 16:22   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are right in a sense bro but I had no other place to mount without disturbing or drilling into original chassis which I did not want to do.
Crash guards?

Quote:
Also these horns are 'waterproof' and 'spray proof' as written in their specifications.
Thousands of Bulleteers, including me, use the same horns. They are not.

Quote:
I have also given them a slight lower tilt so that any water that does manage to go inside may drain out.
You need to reverse the orientation of the horns so that the "trumpet" part is on the bottom and not the top as in your case. Again, think WC flush. What would happen in your current setting once water gets past the highest point of the horn and into the round belly. Can it drain out?

This is once again Doc's infamous photography "skills" on display, but I hope its clear enough to make out what I mean ......

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-dsc01918.jpg

Last edited by ebonho : 13th December 2013 at 16:37.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 16:26   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Crash guards?
Dhiraj has not opted for crash guards
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 17:12   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Crash guards?
Not attached.
Quote:
Thousands of Bulleteers, including me, use the same horns. They are not.
Hmmm. Point to be noted.

Quote:
You need to reverse the orientation of the horns so that the "trumpet" part is on the bottom and not the top as in your case. Again, think WC flush. What would happen in your current setting once water gets past the highest point of the horn and into the round belly. Can it drain out?
Firstly, under no circumstances do I intend to take my bike in a water logged area. Secondly, you mean to say that the trumpets should be facing downwards? and not side+down, as I have done. That is a matter of minutes and can easily be done.
Old 13th December 2013, 18:02   #165
Senior - BHPian

An idea about the ground clearance for these horns. They are way above the lowest point of the motorcycle. Anything that will hit them will definitely also damage the motorcycle.

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-roots-windtone-horn_7.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks