Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2014, 19:24   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

Finally ordered my Screamin' Eagle Slip-on Exhausts for my Superlow today. Costed me Rs. 22552/- + courier to Meerut. Will be fitting them myself with little help from my Harley mates who have already fitted it locally on 2-3 bikes.

Official Link: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-06-8050307--1
Quote:
Street legal high-flow mufflers are factory tuned to deliver an aggressive exhaust note and improved performance comparable to Screamin’ Eagle II mufflers.
  • High flowing internals to maximize performance, developing improved low end grunt and passing power you can feel
  • Ballistic-shaped inlet and tuned baffles produce a rich, aggressive exhaust note
  • Chrome finish
  • EPA stamped, these mufflers are 50-state street legal on stock displacement engines
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-screamin-eagle-exhausts_2.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-screamin-eagle-exhausts_1.jpg

I was very surprised to hear that for the 2014 Superlow they have increased prices of the Screamin Eagle's to 44K. That's daylight robbery. Supposedly some minor design changes as well as an additional 10k for some end plates that they have added. So I thought it was best to procure my 2013 model ones asap before either they increase prices or they go out of stock.

Will be posting reviews and step by step installation process when I get my hands on them.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 23:26   #197
BHPian

Got the Python 2 1/2" slash cut slip ons today for my superlow. Its bliss! I now know the true potential of this bike. The rumble is sweet at idle and roars when throttled! There was a superlow with SE's and VnH long shots to compare with. SE's sounded muffled and VnH was obnoxiously loud. Python's are loud too but not as much as the VnH. Worth considering .
raghuvir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 07:22   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuvir View Post
Got the Python 2 1/2" slash cut slip ons today for my superlow.
Congrats raghuvir. Could you share a little more and let us know from where you procured them and what they costed you. Also share a photo or two which would be most helpful. Cheers...
Old 1st February 2014, 20:20   #199
Senior - BHPian

Screamin Eagle Slip-on Exhausts Install - DIY step by step guide :

So I finally received the Chrome Screamin Eagle Slip-on's today (Part no. 80503-07). They had earlier sent me the Black one's by mistake which I returned at their cost.

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-screamin-eagle-slipon-install-01022014_1.jpg

Costed me Rs. 22552/-. Month of import was Oct-13
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-screamin-eagle-slipon-install-01022014_2.jpg

This is what came out of the box. Great chrome quality. Also notice the 2 crossover port gaskets.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-screamin-eagle-slipon-install-01022014_3.jpg

So the Tool Kit was ready
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-tool-kit.jpg

Now these are the two bolts that have to be removed from the rear exhausts that attach them to the mounting bar
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-screamin-eagle-install_1.jpg

This is the clamp nut which has to be loosened which holds the rear muffler end to the head pipes. I loosened it completely but did not take it out.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-screamin-eagle-install_2.jpg

Also loosen the lower bolt of the front heat shield on the head pipes. I just loosened this one bolt for getting some play in the front heat shield so I could jiggle out the muffler. Photo further down.

Same way, to remove these two bolts from the front muffler
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-screamin-eagle-install_3.jpg

And also loosen the front clamp nut on the front muffler (in the centre). Notice the front heat shield nut (on the right) which was also loosened (same type of nut in the rear was also loosened). Also notice the crossover port where the gasket has to be replaced (on the left)
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-screamin-eagle-install_4.jpg

Rear Muffler removed after a bit of wiggling and a little dose of spray of WD40 on the joint. Notice all parts covered by towels to avoid any scratches.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-screamin-eagle-install_5.jpg

Both Stock Exhausts removed in this fashion. Notice the position of the 2 front heat shield nuts which were just loosened not removed.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-screamin-eagle-install_6.jpg

WD 40 is an invaluable tool for loosening the joints. But use just a little spray.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-screamin-eagle-install_7.jpg

The new crossover port gasket properly placed before joining the mufflers
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-screamin-eagle-install_8.jpg

Voila... after some 30 minutes of hands on work, the new Screamin Eagle's are attached...
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-screamin-eagle-install_10.jpg

This is how it looks from the front
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-screamin-eagle-install_11.jpg

The old 'bazookas' packed for some other day... Notice the heat shields are left on. These can be attached to the new Screamin Eagles if you so desire, but they hide the Screamin Eagle logo, so nobody puts them on.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-screamin-eagle-install_13.jpg

The 883 gets a new burst of power. Up by 7bhp is what I have heard, just by this upgrade to free flowing exhausts...
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-screamin-eagle-install_17.jpg

And here's how they sound. Put some good headphones on to hear them properly. My bike now sound's like a proper Harley

Here's the Installation Manual in case any one is interested
Screamin Eagle Slip On Installation Instructions.pdf

Bye for now...
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-screamin-eagle-install_14.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 1st February 2014 at 20:31.
dkaile is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:09   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Is that rust Dheeraj? In just 5 months?

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd February 2014 at 01:14.
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:20   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Is that rust Dheeraj? In just 5 months?
Hahaha doc. I knew I had that coming. You know it better than me, anything made of metal will eventually rust especially areas your hands cannot reach or hidden from view. The more important thing to ask is whether it will come off with a little TLC and the quality of chrome. In a Harley it does and the quality is such that at least I have not seen on Indian bikes. Peace man... :-)

Last edited by dkaile : 2nd February 2014 at 08:24.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 17:22   #202
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the install of Screaming Eagles Dhiraj. So, no remap needed whatsoever after installing slip-ons?

Another question. The horn of super low is crappy and I am planning to change it. Saw the pic of your install. Can you share how you wired the new horn? BTW, I am assuming your horn install is not presenting any problems so far.
hondadude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 20:00   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
So, no remap needed whatsoever after installing slip-ons?

Another question. The horn of super low is crappy and I am planning to change it. Saw the pic of your install. Can you share how you wired the new horn? BTW, I am assuming your horn install is not presenting any problems so far.
No remap needed for the slip-on Exhausts. Recaliberation of the ECU is required for Stage 1 Air Filter Kit and Stage 1 Engine Kit to convert 883 to 1200cc.

My Horn details have been given in this post - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post3318873
No wires were cut. I bought connecting cables and directly joined them to the original horn cables after disconnecting them from the original horn. Zero issues although the dual horns are nearly double the amperage (5A) of the original single horn (2.5A). But the Horn Button is supposed to take 10 times the amperage (upto 50A) which I have read on other forums.

But right now Screamin Eagles are the best horns for the bike . People have started giving me way even before I reach them. This bike truly deserves the SE's and now I know what I was missing since day 1.

Last edited by dkaile : 2nd February 2014 at 20:12.
Old 2nd February 2014, 20:22   #204
BHPian

Quote:
No remap needed for the slip-on Exhausts. Recaliberation of the ECU is required for Stage 1 Air Filter Kit and Stage 1 Engine Kit to covert 883 to 1200cc.
dkaile, a stage 1 upgrade does not necessarily need to have to do with reboring the engine (converting 883 to 1200cc). A typical stage 1 upgrade would be slip ons (to let the exhaust air move more freely) + air filter upgrade (to get more air into the engine) + fuel management system (to make sure the engine does not run lean, which can make you throttle more thus making it too hot). However, if you do all these and rebore, its still stage 1.

So, if anyone puts on just new slip ons, nothing else needs to be done, If you put slip ons and air cleaner, a fuel pack is a must. And with that, you have completed stage 1 upgrade.

So, here are the video with the python 2 1/2" slash cut slip ons. Got them off ebay for $250 + $65 shipping + Rs. 2905 duty:

Last edited by raghuvir : 2nd February 2014 at 20:31.
raghuvir is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 20:34   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
dkaile, a stage 1 upgrade does not necessarily need to have to do with reboring the engine (converting 883 to 1200cc). A typical stage 1 upgrade would be slip ons (to let the exhaust air move more freely) + air filter upgrade (to get more air into the engine) + fuel management system (to make sure the engine does not run lean, which can make you throttle more thus making it too hot). However, if you do all these and rebore, its still stage 1.

So, here are the video with the python 2 1/2" slash cut slip ons. Got them off ebay for $250 + $65 shipping + Rs. 2905 duty:
Nice Mufflers raghuvir. So they costed you nearly the same price as the Screamin Eagles. But I am quite happy with the sound of the SE's. Most experts that I met had the opinion that for the 883 Sportster engine, Screamin Eagles are the best bet. They bump up the bhp by about 7% more than stock. Even better than the V&H which however bump up the bhp to about 15% but sound too garish on the 883 engine. V&H are better suited as well as sound well on the bigger 1600cc engines.

Yes, I know the Stage 1 upgrade can be done in many stages. But even changing the air filter requires an ECU remap and that is what hondadude was inquiring. First stage is usually exhausts followed by a high flow filter which most people stop at. Many, however, do add on the fuel management system. Very few however move to converting the 883 to a 1200, is what the feedback I have got.

Here's a nice article about various stages of upgrades - http://harleytalking.com/showthread....tage-4-upgrade

Last edited by dkaile : 2nd February 2014 at 20:48.
Old 2nd February 2014, 22:31   #206
BHPian

Quote:
But even changing the air filter requires an ECU remap and that is what hondadude was inquiring. First stage is usually exhausts followed by a high flow filter which most people stop at.
You are correct, however, partially, as stated earlier, slip ons+ air cleaner (air filter)= ECU remap/ fuel pack. ECU remap, as of now is not available in India. If it was available, it will still be priced exorbitantly, as is the case in other countries. Hence, most of the HOGs go for a fuel pack. Those who do not do enough research, end up with running a very hot engine and damaging the bike. If you realy want to know the full potential of a 883 harley engine, you would end up doing the slip ons+ AC+ fuel pack/ECu remap. That, is when the party begins

Have been through your process of installing slip ons and it occurred to me that you did not loosen the nuts on the flanges that hold the header pipes. IMHO they need to be loosened before removing the stock slip ons, as when you juggle the stock slip ons, the header pipes do move, albeit marginally. I would suggest you check if there is any leakage at the header pipe/engine contact.

And last but not the least, once you pep up the 883 to 1200 say bye bye to Insurance, street legality and warranty

Last edited by raghuvir : 2nd February 2014 at 22:41.
raghuvir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 09:08   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ECU remap, as of now is not available in India. If it was available, it will still be priced exorbitantly.

Have been through your process of installing slip ons and it occurred to me that you did not loosen the nuts on the flanges that hold the header pipes. IMHO they need to be loosened before removing the stock slip ons, as when you juggle the stock slip ons, the header pipes do move, albeit marginally. I would suggest you check if there is any leakage at the header pipe/engine contact.

And last but not the least, once you pep up the 883 to 1200 say bye bye to Insurance, street legality and warranty
Last I heard they were doing some remapping through their laptops whenever you get the SE air filter or fuel pack upgrade at all Harley dealerships here.

I have seen them attach the SE slip-ons at the dealership and even they did not loosen the header pipes. Anyways I will be tightening all bolts after few kms of running.

That's strange when it's a company upgrade kit, without any reboring I may add, to convert your 883 to 1200. Costs about a lac here. I think the company warranty should be intact though it's a totally different issue about street legality.
Old 3rd February 2014, 13:04   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No remap needed for the slip-on Exhausts.

No wires were cut. I bought connecting cables and directly joined them to the original horn cables after disconnecting them from the original horn. Zero issues although the dual horns are nearly double the amperage (5A) of the original single horn (2.5A). But the Horn Button is supposed to take 10 times the amperage (upto 50A) which I have read on other forums.
This is the information I was looking for. Thanks much.

Quote:

But right now Screamin Eagles are the best horns for the bike . People have started giving me way even before I reach them. This bike truly deserves the SE's and now I know what I was missing since day 1.
Works on lower speed but at higher speeds on highway, they aren't as loud. We need a loud horn to get attention from larger vehicles (bus/truck)

Quote:
You are correct, however, partially, as stated earlier, slip ons+ air cleaner (air filter)= ECU remap/ fuel pack. ECU remap, as of now is not available in India. If it was available, it will still be priced exorbitantly, as is the case in other countries.
It is available at the dealership. No doubt it is expensive.

Quote:
Forget reboring the engine, even if you put any slip on (other than screaming eagles) your powertrain warranty is void. So as it stands your powertrain warranty is void because you are using python slip on. That is the official stand of Harley dealers in Bangalore at least.
Old 4th February 2014, 20:00   #209
Senior - BHPian

Here's my mate's Street Bob with a wider rear tyre (I think it's of the Fat Bob's rear tyre's width). He got the OE rear tyre + attaching hardware + sissy bar from a mate at half the cost (nearly 45K compared to 90K). He has also changed the mini ape-hanger handle bar which he found quite uncomfortable for long rides. He has also fabricated the engine guard (visible partially) in his own factory at less than 5K.

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-amber-anands-street-bob.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 4th February 2014 at 20:04.
Old 8th February 2014, 18:02   #210
Senior - BHPian

Some Close-Ups

At nearly 2k kms
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-1.jpg

Front Fork Nut Cap
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-2.jpg

Similar shot from a Bullet 500 done approx 4.5K from another Teambhp thread just to assess similarity
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-bullets-nut.jpg

Front Fork
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-3.jpg

Headlight
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-4.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-5.jpg

Indicators
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-6.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-9.jpg

Fuel Cap
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-8.jpg

The 'Scorchers'
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-10.jpg

Tail light
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-11.jpg

'Chillaati Cheele'
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-12.jpg

Rubber Keychain
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-logo-rubber-keychain_1.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-logo-rubber-keychain_2.jpg

and a metal one
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-logo-metal-keychain.jpg

Cheers...
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-13.jpg

In photography there is a reality so subtle that it becomes more real than reality ~ Alfred Stieglitz

Last edited by dkaile : 8th February 2014 at 18:11.
dkaile is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks