Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2014, 18:29   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

Nice photos Dheeraj. But what was the point of posting the photo of another Team BHPian's bike?
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 19:26   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post

It is available at the dealership. No doubt it is expensive.

Forget reboring the engine, even if you put any slip on (other than screaming eagles) your powertrain warranty is void. So as it stands your powertrain warranty is void because you are using python slip on. That is the official stand of Harley dealers in Bangalore at least.
You are right, its available and expensive. Well, about the slip ons, what you can do is that, if you do have a warranty issue, just remove the aftermarket slip ons, put on the stock muffler..and you are good to go!
raghuvir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 16:09   #213
Senior - BHPian

Encouraged by the Screamin Eagles job done on my Sportster, my friend imported a Vance & Hines Short Shots Full Exhaust System for his Fat Bob. Total damages including shipping and around 7.5K of duty worked out to be around 40k landed here in Meerut from JP Cycles, USA. He had already installed Screamin Eagles Exhausts but somehow they sounded quite puny on his Dyna. My Sportster on just the Screamin Eagles Slip-Ons sounded louder and sweeter than his bike, which incidentally was a large irritant to him . I would advise all Dyna owners to NEVER go in for Screamin Eagles exhausts.

So after a few days of waiting, I finally garnered courage to open his bike up also, without any prior experience and going just by some videos and installation manual that came with the exhausts. We ran into some hiccups en-route.

The Screamin Eagles stock exhausts disassembled from the bike. It involved unscrewing the 2 Oxygen Sensors. We did not unplug and remove them fully from the wiring as suggested in the installation manual as that was looking like a tedious process. After that Just 1 nut was removed that attached them to the stock Body Mount and 2 each that attached them to the exhaust ports, and the exhaust was on the ground -

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-fat-bob-vh-install-13022014_1.jpg

Now as you will see in the above photo that a exhaust control wire and valve is there in the stock exhasts to control the flow of exhausts above 2000 rpm. As these were free flowing exhaust, no such provision to attach that was there in these V&H's. So after getting feedback from a friendly Harley geek we just detached and folded away the exhaust valve control wire safely under the seat. Flanges and Circlips from the stock exhausts were removed which were to be used with these new ones too. Old exhaust gaskets were also removed and replaced with new ones.

This video helped -

The Heat shields were installed
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-fat-bob-vh-install-13022014_2.jpg

The new bracket was installed after removing the stock one
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-fat-bob-vh-install-13022014_3.jpg

After 2 hours of hard labour and fun they were finally installed
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-fat-bob-vh-install-13022014_6.jpg

Along with my Superlow
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-fat-bob-vh-install-13022014_5.jpg

And a close-up of the exhausts
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-fat-bob-vh-install-13022014_4.jpg

On starting they definitely cracked some mirrors somewhere... lolz, and the bike now sounds like a proper Harley.

Cheers.

Last edited by dkaile : 13th February 2014 at 16:16.
dkaile is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 21:53   #214
BHPian

Thats a wonderful tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

I fully agree with you, the SE pipes on the Sportster sounds fantastic, whereas the Vance&Hines and other after market pipes sound a lot better on the Dyna and Softail range. Those V&H pipes have killer looks also.
BTW, do you have to do any remapping of ECU?
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 22:14   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
BTW, do you have to do any remapping of ECU?
Thanks Haroon. No remapping done till now as Fuel Pack from V&H are still some time away. Though he needs to go in for a some type of free flowing intake filter immediately to see some remarkable difference in power. Till now it's only noise with just a marginal increase in pickup.

Btw your travelogue blogs are really an eye opener and inspirational.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 04:31   #216
Senior - BHPian

Dheeraj,
Very good thread you have put in especially on the DIY for the exhausts. Good Stuff.
Nice to see your bike being well cared for and pampered. Happy Miles.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 14:47   #217
Senior - BHPian

Tit bits & Valentine Day's Sunday Ride with Better Halves

So I decided to remove the seat to look into the hardware as a friend needed ideas to fabricate the pillion seat locally

The Seat removed. It just took removing the rear nut and a tug forward, then up and then back and the seat was out.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-seat-removed_1.jpg

The Seat unraveled. Planning to remove the pillion for a while.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-seat-removed_2.jpg

The pillion attachments
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-seat-removed_3.jpg

The THH Helmet was given a Willie G Skull treatment in 'shine in the night' radium
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-helmet-billie-g-skull-radium_1.jpg

So with Valentine's Day just passed the better halves proposed to ride along. 10 members got together today
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-valentine-ride-16022014_1.jpg

Yours Truly with the 'Captain'. Did 130 with a pillion which is very good without a sissy bar, though will get it fabricated soon. The bike has really opened up a bit after the Screamin Eagles and is a torque monster now.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-valentine-ride-16022014_2.jpg

Our lovely 'M3C' Club
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-valentine-ride-16022014_4.jpg

Live to Ride...
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-valentine-ride-16022014_5.jpg

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 17:42   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Hey Doctor,
Now that I know which motorcycle you ride, will definitely be easier to spot you on the streets of Pune. Would definitely love to meet you someday.
Best regards,
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 20:45   #219
Senior - BHPian

Some observations from today's ride -

- The bike is very stable at high speeds with a pillion.
- The 883XL excels in in-city maneuverability compared to its bigger siblings like the Fat Bob/Boy and that makes it all the more usable as a everyday drive bike then its stablemates.
- The Superlow did not once bottom out in the entire 100km trip today with the pillion. Contrary to what many 'comparisons' may want you to believe, this makes it an excellent bike for highway use as well as everyday use. The rear shockers are set at their stiffest settings and that is most adept for Indian conditions. Why they come at the softest settings from the factory is beyond my comprehension. If more people are educated to just adjust the shockers properly, many misconceptions about the bike's ground clearance may be removed. The lower stance of the bike gives it a very slithering ride on the highways which is such a pleasure while cruising.
- The Screamin Eagles have really made a difference which was felt today on the highway. After 60kmph the pulling torque really gets a surge previously unfelt.

A high speed cruising shot
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-valentine-ride-16022014_6.jpg
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 11:32   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
So I decided to remove the seat to look into the hardware as a friend needed ideas to fabricate the pillion seat locally

The Seat removed. It just took removing the rear nut and a tug forward, then up and then back and the seat was out.

The Seat unraveled. Planning to remove the pillion for a while.

Attachment 1208488
Can't make out for certain but does this mean that the main rider seat is attached to the bike only by a hook up front and the singe bolt at the back to the pillion seat - which in turn is bolted to the main seat?

Or is the keyhole shaped slot in the rider seat (through which the foam is visible) there for hooking on to another bolt from the rear fender?

So if you remove the rear pillion seat, how is the rider seat attached to the bike? On a hook and a single bolt-in-slot?

Looks dicey to me.
Old 17th February 2014, 12:22   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Can't make out for certain but does this mean that the main rider seat is attached to the bike only by a hook up front and the singe bolt at the back to the pillion seat - which in turn is bolted to the main seat?

Or is the keyhole shaped slot in the rider seat (through which the foam is visible) there for hooking on to another bolt from the rear fender?

So if you remove the rear pillion seat, how is the rider seat attached to the bike? On a hook and a single bolt-in-slot?

Looks dicey to me.
Doc,
there seem to be multiple "provisional" bolt holes on the rear fender. I would think without the pillion seat, you will have to use one of the holes (which are blocked off by rubber gromets now) to secure your front single seat.

Maybe Dkaile can confirm? The key hole slot only seems like it is a "locating" slot.

Cheers,
Kapil

Last edited by wolfy : 17th February 2014 at 12:23.
wolfy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 12:57   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks dicey to me.
Nothing dicey here Doc. The front seat is secured at 3 spots (see attached picture).
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-seat-removed_1_1.jpg

The front tongue that goes inside the tank at 1, The Securing Nut goes into the Key Hole slot of the seat at 2 and the rear tongue on the seat is secured at either of the point 3 depending whether you keep it solo or or with the pillion attached. The tongue on the seat which secures at point 3 is removable and has the ability to fix either solo or with the pillion. If I remove the pillion by the 2 nuts by which it is attached to the main seat, the seat is secured to the middle hole (currently covered by the visible plastic washer). The securing nut with a lock currently at the rear point 3 is also removable to transfer it to either of the two securing points. Ingenious engineering I would say.

I also removed the air cleaner element today and cleaned it.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-air-cleaner.jpg

Removal was a simple job of removing the front 2 torque screws to remove the cover and inside 3 more torque screws hold the actual air filter in place. Took just 5 minutes to open, clean and refit.

Lolz... at this pace I might just forget about going to the service station and do the routine servicing myself.
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 13:02   #223
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Kapil, Dheeraj. That explains it.

However, call me paranoid, or call me a Bulleteer (used to bolts loosening and falling off), but I would still be a tad more comfortable with the base under me which joins me to the ground as I hurtle over it at upward of 100 kmph to be anchored at two points side by side at the back, thereby distributing weight over a larger base (a triangle instead of a straight line) and thereby reducing chances of sideways flex or shear.

What do you think?

P.S. I have actually been witness to the Comedy with Kapil scene of a Bulleteer starting off with full draaaang draaaaaang, and his pillion (on a single separate pillion seat) slide off the back along with the seat .....

Last edited by ebonho : 17th February 2014 at 13:06.
Old 17th February 2014, 13:08   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do you think?
Actually depends upon the quality of materials used. While that sliding act may be possible with Enfield's workmanship, I doubt the same could be replicated with original Harley parts .
Old 17th February 2014, 13:09   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Actually depends upon the quality of materials used. While that sliding act may be possible with Enfield's workmanship, I doubt the same could be replicated with original Harley parts .
Would you like to be the person sitting at the back who's the first to test how sound your theory really is?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks