Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2016, 12:57   #571
BHPian

Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The Iron is a great choice though personally I would have stretched and gone for the newly launched 1200 Custom. Avoid the Street.

As you would have noticed I rode my Superlow throughout without the engine guard till I sold it. Wait for sometime before finalizing any accessories. Join the many buy and sell forums on Facebook where I have seen some great deals on original Harley 2nd hand products like seats etc. That may be a better place to buy accessories at nearly the same price as aftermarket ones and you are assured better Harley OE quality. Though I doubt if the 2016 model seats would be available so soon as it's design is a little different.

Your decision to wait for the 2016 manufactured bike is justified from a resale point of view though there would be no other difference as the model has just been upgraded to better suspension and seats.

Congratulations and Cheers...
Thanks Dhiraj ji

The thought of stretching out for the Custom 1200 did cross my mind, but decided against the same -
1. In love with the Iron's look since I saw it in Singapore almost 5 years ago. Made a promise to myself about getting one as soon as I could.
2. Prepared to shell out the additional moolah on the 1200 upgrade kit, maybe 1-2 years down the ownership experience, I believe that will bring the Iron's performance at par with the 1200 Sportsters.
3. Would rather avoid Forward controls, and the chunkier front wheel.

I have a few queries on the insurance part -
1. Do I have to get it from the dealership itself? If yes, is it because it is cashless?
2. Do I have to get a zero dep one, or comprehensive will do?
3. I was intending to do it from outside, and transfer my Bullet's NCB. Also I will save quite a bit if I decide to get it from outside the dealership.

Last edited by Bhatt : 14th March 2016 at 13:04.
Old 14th March 2016, 15:37   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatt View Post
The thought of stretching out for the Custom 1200 did cross my mind, but decided against the same -
2. Prepared to shell out the additional moolah on the 1200 upgrade kit, maybe 1-2 years down the ownership experience, I believe that will bring the Iron's performance at par with the 1200 Sportsters.
3. Would rather avoid Forward controls, and the chunkier front wheel.

I have a few queries on the insurance part -
1. Do I have to get it from the dealership itself? If yes, is it because it is cashless?
2. Do I have to get a zero dep one, or comprehensive will do?
3. I was intending to do it from outside, and transfer my Bullet's NCB. Also I will save quite a bit if I decide to get it from outside the dealership.
Iron is a good package now. But do not try any outside 1200 upgrade kit as I doubt any dealership or person can give you factory quality. Also if you are anything above 5'6" then forward controls are a boon.

With regards to your Insurance queries, I guess I am the wrong person to advice you on that because I do not believe in Insurance. I have a total of more than 10 vehicles and none of them are comprehensive insured, after the 1st year of ownership, only 3rd party. I have saved lacs in the last few years abiding with this policy which goes into my contingency fund in case of any mishap. I get all my vehicles usually repaired from outside agencies which cost a fraction of what a company workshop quotes and I also get a better job done in the bargain. I even service my Harley myself now. Case in point, I had a small mishap with my Skoda Superb recently. The dealership quoted a cost of 1 lac rupees because they would rather replace the whole bonnet than just get its dent removed. I got it done from a 3rd party workshop with total damages less than 8k. And the paint work is impeccable. So yes, I don''t believe in Insurance, lolz.

Anyways I will try to answer as best as I can. I believe the dealership insurance is through ICICI (in Delhi) and it is cashless. You may even get it done through your own agent and it will still remain cashless afaik. But my views on insurance in general, remain.

Cheers...

PS - Go for extended warranty because that will insure you for a further 2 years in case anything goes wrong with the hardware. Most insurances don't covers parts failures, only warranty does.

Last edited by dkaile : 14th March 2016 at 15:45.
dkaile is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 21:14   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Iron is a good package now. But do not try any outside 1200 upgrade kit as I doubt any dealership or person can give you factory quality. Also if you are anything above 5'6" then forward controls are a boon.

With regards to your Insurance queries, I guess I am the wrong person to advice you on that because I do not believe in Insurance. I have a total of more than 10 vehicles and none of them are comprehensive insured, after the 1st year of ownership, only 3rd party.

Anyways I will try to answer as best as I can. I believe the dealership insurance is through ICICI (in Delhi) and it is cashless. You may even get it done through your own agent and it will still remain cashless afaik. But my views on insurance in general, remain.

Cheers...

PS - Go for extended warranty because that will insure you for a further 2 years in case anything goes wrong with the hardware. Most insurances don't covers parts failures, only warranty does.

Dhiraj Ji

Such core modifications will be attempted only through the dealership. And yes, I do agree with your view of saving on insurance costs. I am going to get comprehensive policy, and that too from outside the dealership.

The extended warranty can be taken anytime during the two years of the original warranty, and I may go for it later. Though I think and hope that whatever issues may crop up will do so in the first two years itself.
Old 20th March 2016, 08:41   #574
Senior - BHPian

I recently rode a rented superlow for about 100/150kms on open highways. The bike had the upgraded exhaust. I found the bike performing crudely. Too many vibrations right from idling and increasing across the Rev range until at about 120 indicated my helmet was buzzing on my head. Is this how all Harleys are? With increasing noise and vibration there was no corresponding increase in speed or acceleration.
Old 20th March 2016, 12:56   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I found the bike performing crudely. Too many vibrations right from idling and increasing across the Rev range until at about 120 indicated my helmet was buzzing on my head. Is this how all Harleys are? With increasing noise and vibration there was no corresponding increase in speed or acceleration.
Though vibrations are inherent to all Harleys, it depends upon how the bike has been broken in. My bike became quite smooth after about 7k on the odo. I have ridden at about 40~50 above what you did and a full face helmet helps reduce the buzzing. The sweet spot of the Sportster is around the 110~120 mark. But don't expect Bonnie smoothness from a Harley. Both camps are quite different.
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 19:10   #576
BHPian

After considerable thought, wait and saving, I am glad to announce that I have booked the 2016 Iron in charcoal denim grey. Went to Capital Harley, Delhi and saw the new color a month back and just couldn't take my eyes off of it! Thanks to the gurus here I already know what to expect and what to upgrade.

Have also bought the Vance & Hines twin slash slip Ons and biltwell grips for starters, even before the bike arrives!! Delivery is promised on the 1st April, I made the entire payment today to avoid the 30k increase in price effective 1st April. Now comes the help I need- what kind of insurance should I opt for? I read in this post that parts are generally covered by warranty, insurance will mostly be for theft/accident, is a zero dep really necessary? I'm being quoted 14k for a zero dep policy by my agent @7l Idv (95%). Is there any point in going for it or just a comprehensive will be enough? I've owned a classic 500, have had massive niggles with the wiring/efi and everything was covered solely under warranty, not insurance. In fact, even for my cars, it's cheaper to get the small repairs done with your local garage than the company. Please help! Sorry for the longish post, the first half is enthusiasm I just cannot cover since this is indeed a dream bike!
zee_bat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 20:07   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee_bat View Post
After considerable thought, wait and saving, I am glad to announce that I have booked the 2016 Iron in charcoal denim grey.

Have also bought the Vance & Hines twin slash slip Ons and biltwell grips for starters, even before the bike arrives!!

I read in this post that parts are generally covered by warranty, insurance will mostly be for theft/accident, is a zero dep really necessary? I'm being quoted 14k for a zero dep policy by my agent @7l Idv (95%). Is there any point in going for it or just a comprehensive will be enough? I've owned a classic 500, have had massive niggles with the wiring/efi and everything was covered solely under warranty, not insurance. In fact, even for my cars, it's cheaper to get the small repairs done with your local garage than the company. Please help! Sorry for the longish post, the first half is enthusiasm I just cannot cover since this is indeed a dream bike!
Congratulations zee_bat on a fine choice, though I like the 1200 Custom better but that's a personal (chrome based) choice. It's a dream bike for sure but be prepared what to except from a premium brand. To quote from a magazine I read recently -

Quote:
"Riding a Harley-Davidson is not about just riding a motorcycle. It is not about hopping onto it to go to the market to buy a dozen eggs. It is not about using it for your daily commute sweltering in traffic, cursing the long time spent on the travel from your home to that daily jail that, since we live in an age where ‘political correctness’ has been put on a pedestal, has to be called your office.

Buying a Harley for stuff like this is as ridiculous and incomprehensible as going to the best steak house in town and being served cardboard and motor oil instead of meat and wine.

You buy a Harley to break free from the mundane, to celebrate camaraderie and the open road, to revel in the joy of not knowing what your final destination might be. You buy a Harley to answer that primal call of the open road. Because deep down at the very foundation of our DNA is the need and the necessity to wander and roam. Our planet was populated like that after all."
You are bang on about the insurance/warranty coverage part, though for the 1st year I would suggest you go for the comprehensive one or even a zero dep one if the difference is a few k's. But I would suggest you should take extended warranty (upto 4 years). That is a good investment in these costly vehicles. Then anything going wrong with the engine/drivetrain/electricals is covered by the company, whether you have insurance or not. I only do 3rd party insurance for all my vehicles after the 1st year is over.

Also do NOT attach the slip-ons before covering at least 1~2k kms giving enough time for the engine to bed in. Don't invest too much in their gear, except perhaps a good original Harley branded leather jacket. Better helmets/gloves are available in the after market at a much lower costs (MT etc.)

Ride safe and keep us posted with pictures.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 30th March 2016 at 20:09.
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 20:25   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations zee_bat on a fine choice, though I like the 1200 Custom better but that's a personal (chrome based) choice. -
Thank you! I knew you would definitely help out, seeing the time you have spent reviewing two beasts and helping out countless others! The iron has been the apple of my eye since about 8 years now. The rawness of it somehow ticks all boxes in my list! The magazine quote is so on point! This will be my India explorer and maybe the neighbouring south Asia one day!

I think I will go for the comprehensive, zero dep has only been a saviour for our water logged Audi once but for the rest, is plainly a wasted risk mitigation expense. Will also definitely get the extended warranty, it can be purchased anytime within two years I read somewhere, is that correct?

Quote:
Also do NOT attach the slip-ons before covering at least 1~2k
Ride safe and keep us posted with pictures.
Cheers...

Yes, the slip Ons were bought only since a friend was travelling back from US so I could save a little! Run in period will be fixed at 1000 kms. Will post pics soon! Thanks again!
Old 31st March 2016, 17:14   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatt View Post
3. I was intending to do it from outside, and transfer my Bullet's NCB. ...
In case you have not yet decided, go for this option. I transferred my Bullet's 50% NCB and got my Iron insured from outside at almost 45% of dealer's quote (non zero- dep). I converted Bullet to 3rd party (mandatory) only insurance from same agency who covered my Iron.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 13:37   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
I converted Bullet to 3rd party (mandatory) only insurance from same agency who covered my Iron. -BJ

Great idea! Helps me too as I could transfer my 25% ncb.

Quote:
Congratulations
Words cannot describe my happiness at finally getting this beast! Here's a pic from the pick up with a friend!
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-imageuploadedbyteambhp1459584383.359054.jpg
zee_bat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 13:56   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Words cannot describe my happiness at finally getting this beast! Here's a pic from the pick up with a friend!
Many many Congratulations! Wishing you years of riding nirvana.

Please do invest in proper gear before even starting to ride these heavy bikes. A good ECE and DOT certified (preferably even Shark rated) helmet, riding shoes/boots, gloves and riding jacket is a bare minimum along with a louder horn for India (preferably the original cowbell one). Investing in a engine guard depends upon your fitness but that certainly saved my heavier Heritage Softail, though I never needed it for my Superlow. Follow the break-in instructions to the helm.

Ride Safe Brother. Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 2nd April 2016 at 13:58.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 09:47   #582
BHPian

Being an awkwardly built 6 footer, I'm somewhat uncomfortable with my riding position on my iron. I have however found a solution- risers!
The problem however is that I absolutely detest spending my hard earned dough on the ridiculously priced Harley accessories. Aliexpress items are great VFM and quality is decent.
So, my question- will a generic 4.5" riser accommodate the speedo clamps? I'm just not sure how all this works! Any gyaan would be highly appreciated!
Old 15th April 2016, 10:14   #583

Quote:
Being an awkwardly built 6 footer, I'm somewhat uncomfortable with my riding position on my iron. I have however found a solution- risers!
The problem however is that I absolutely detest spending my hard earned dough on the ridiculously priced Harley accessories. Aliexpress items are great VFM and quality is decent.
So, my question- will a generic 4.5" riser accommodate the speedo clamps? I'm just not sure how all this works! Any gyaan would be highly appreciated!
Congrats on getting a bike full of character!
While nothing comes close to the quality and fit/finish of Harley accessories, I agree with your point of these being over-priced. For the same reason I fabricated my own backrest.
For ergonomics, you can check for aftermarket handlebars also. I have a Yamaha FZ handlebar on my Street 750 as of now as I wanted a bit more sportier feel. Yours being a 1" dia., it will be difficult to get within India. But there are a lot of online shops you can check. "Bitwell" is one brand having a great taste in terms of aesthetics.
Ride safe!
Anand
Roads&Wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 11:02   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You need forward controls and not risers imho. However, speedo clamps should not be affected by risers afaik. Please do check thoroughly before ordering as most good AliExpress sellers do reply to your queries. But do remember that Harley parts are over-engineered to last at least 2 generations with proper maintenance, hence the costs. I have had bad experience from most non-harley parts.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 12:43   #585
BHPian

Quote:
You need forward controls and not risers imho.
Cheers...
yeah forward controls are a near future purchase plan dheeraj bhai. I'll ask the sellers and see but now with the OEM advice you've confused me to look at the interests of my yet to be born grandkids thanks again!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks