Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2013, 22:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

What does a HOG symbolise to me?

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-1_harley-superlow-tank-logo.jpg

Call me old fashioned but it symbolises a man's steed, a horse, a pet, something to keep me fit. And after having driven one home yesterday, over a 100km drive that I did after almost 2 decades on 2 wheels, I can safely say that motorcycle driving does make you fitter and more more mentally alert. It rejuvenated all my dulled senses.

This 883cc beast of the so called 'baby' Harley had more quality than any Indian manufacturer ever offered to us.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-2_883cc.jpg

The top notch 5 speed gearbox had a authentic Harley 'clank' to it.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-3_5-speed.jpg

It all began a few months back. My mid life blues wanting to chase away the lethargy that had crept in my life driving all those four wheeled luxury cars. So a thread was opened on TeamBhp to assess what big bike I could 'practically' own in India with least amount of hassles - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-superlow.html . Eventually I opted for a cruiser that suited my mentality and mindset and I can safely say that it is the best practical everyday Superbike Cruiser in India as on date at this price point. "You can take quality, adequate fit and finish and exquisite attention to detail for granted on a Superlow, this Indian-assembled Harley feeling robust and built to last a generation, or perhaps two."

I had booked the bike with Capital Harley, Delhi, the nearest dealership from my hometown of Meerut about 80kms away. So finally booked the bike, details here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3207862 . The bike had reached the dealership, details here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3229016 . So finally the delivery date was set for 09-09-2013, Monday.

So rode down to the dealership's showroom with my son and brother in tow.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-superlow-delivery_1.jpg

It was love at first sight.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-superlow-delivery_4.jpg

Here it looking quite puny from this angle which is more of a photographic micropsia than ground reality.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-superlow-delivery_7.jpg

I hope my smile tells it all.

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-superlow-delivery_12.jpg

With my Sales Advisor. He did a pretty decent job overall.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-superlow-delivery_14.jpg

So the bike costed me Rs. 6,34,421/- on road and I added just the Pillion seat and Passenger Footpeg Kit for an additional 16,096/-, taking the Total cost to 6.50L. Drove it down to Meerut which turned out to be a 100km journey with a few sore bums to vouch for it...lolz, as they were subjected to the '2 wheeled kind' of this long, semi bumper to bumper, ride after nearly 20 years, having been spoilt by the super comfortable seats on my Superb. For longer rides the seats definitely need a upgrade.

So here it is today in my driveway
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-4_harley-superlow-right-side-view.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-5_harley-superlow-left-side-view_1.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-6_harley-superlow-rear-view.jpg

The beautifully crafted 45 degree V Twin which is the trademark of all Harleys. A right view of the engine
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-7_engine-twin-exhaust-right.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-8_engine-twin-exhaust-right-closeup.jpg

The left view of the engine
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-9_engine-twin-sparks-left.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-10_engine-twin-sparks-left-closeup.jpg

The Engine Clutch cover
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-11_engine-clutch-cover.jpg

The Left side panel enclosing the battery
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-12_cover-left-battery-closed.jpg

The left panel opened to reveal the battery, fuse box and the main fuse
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-13_cover-left-battery-open.jpg

The right panel enclosing the engine oil reservoir
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-14_cover-right-oil-reservoir.jpg

With a beautifully crafted pop-up oil dipstick
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-15_cover-right-oil-stick-popup.jpg

The pop-up dipstick comes out
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-16_cover-right-oil-stick-popup-open.jpg

Revealing the oil inside
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-17_cover-right-oil-inlet-open.jpg

The solid Handlebar and all controls
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-18_handlebar-controls.jpg

The Left Handlebar Controls
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-19_handlebar-controls-left.jpg

And its close-up view
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-20_handlebar-controls-left-closeup.jpg

The Right Handlebar Controls
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-21_handlebar-controls-right.jpg

And its close-up
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-22_handlebar-controls-right-closeup.jpg

The Left rear view mirror's finishing. Solid Chrome...
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-23_handlebar-mirror-finishing-left.jpg

The Right rear view mirror's finishing.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-24_handlebar-mirror-finishing-right.jpg

And its Chrome back...

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-24_handlebar-mirror-finishing-right_1.jpg

cont...

Last edited by dkaile : 10th September 2013 at 22:38.
dkaile is online now   (31) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 23:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

cont...

The 'cruiser style' ignition and handlebar lock switches on the right side
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-25_ignition-handlebar-lock-switches.jpg

The Ignition switch with the key in place
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-26_ignition-switch.jpg

The led backlit Instrument cluster. It stays always lit.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-27_instrument-cluster.jpg

And its Toggle switch to toggle, reset and set with a single button. Though not the most ergonomic place to place it.

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-28_instrument-cluster-toggle-switch.jpg

The Odometer reading showing the drive I did yesterday. It was on 7km at the time of delivery.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-29_instrument-cluster-odometer-reading.jpg

A close-up of the display. Also visible in the background are the Battery, Low Petrol Warning and Check Engine Lights.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-30_instrument-cluster-odometer-reading-closeup.jpg

The toggle switch toggles the display between the 2 trip meters
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-31_instrument-cluster-trip-.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-32_instrument-cluster-trip-b.jpg

and the time
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-33_instrument-cluster-time.jpg

The 5 display lights below the instrument cluster includes the left and right indicator lights, Neutral, High Beam and the Low Engine Oil warning light.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-34_instrument-cluster-lights.jpg

The Cruiser Style Round Headlight
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-35_headlight.jpg

A close up showing the HD logo at the centre of it
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-36_headlight-closeup.jpg

And the chrome/aluminum plate on top of it. Solid detailing...
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-37_headlight-top-chrome-cover.jpg

The Left Footpeg and the Side 'Jiffy' Stand
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-38_footpeg-left-jiffy-stand.jpg

The Right Footpeg and the Brake Lever
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-39_footstep-right-brake-lever.jpg

The Brake Fluid Reservoir - Front
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-40_brake-fluid-reservoir-front-.jpg

And the Rear one
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-41_brake-fluid-reservoir-rear-.jpg

A closer look at one of the exhaust pipes. Again solid chrome...
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-42_exhaust.jpg

Beautifully crafted all the way to the engine
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-43_exhaust-finish.jpg

The Front Wheel
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-44_wheel-front.jpg

and the front disc brake close-up
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-45_wheel-front-disc-brakes-closeup.jpg

The rear wheel
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-46_wheel-rear.jpg

Even the tyres carry the 'Harley Davidson' mark!! Custom built to the core...
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-47_tyre-rear-hd-marked.jpg

The Michelin Scorchers are "Made in Spain"!
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-48_tyre-michelin-scorcher.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-49_tyre-michelin-made-spain_1.jpg

The rear 150/60 ZR17 tyre
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-50_tyre-rear-15060zr17.jpg

The Fuel Cap
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-51_fuel-cap-closed.jpg

and its open view
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-52_fuel-cap-open.jpg

The 'bum' bench
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-53_seat-complete.jpg

And the pillion seat. Not adequate for long drives. Needs an upgrade which are available a plenty but at a cost.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-54_seat-pillion.jpg

cont...
dkaile is online now   (35) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 23:39   #3
BHPian

Let me be the first one to congratulate you.
A very nice bike indeed, Nice pictures.
Could we have a ride report.
Enjoy the steed and wishing you many many happy miles.
Ride safe, Ride hard.
DocRock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 23:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

cont...

The Rear Lights
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-55_rear-lights.jpg

The Rear Suspension
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-56_suspension-rear-right.jpg

and its adjustments. Have to get this right at the 1st service as it is set at its lowest setting at 1 of 5 whereas it needs to be at 3 of 5 according to my weight.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-57_suspension-rear-adjuster.jpg

The front suspension's chrome nuts
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-58_suspension-front-chrome-nuts.jpg

Attention to detail
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-59_rear-disc-closeup.jpg

The Horn. Quite loud but not so premium sounding like my Superb...lolz
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-60_horn.jpg

and some kind of a coil cooler below it
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-61_trivia_coil.jpg

These are the kits I received at the time of delivery. The first one is a mandatory First Aid Kit
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-62_kit_first-aid.jpg

And then the Tool Kit
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-63_kit_tool.jpg

Opens up to reveal this...
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-64_kit_tool_1.jpg

which is quite like a Swiss Army Knife
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-65_kit_tool_2.jpg

The Owner's Manual and Road Side Assistance Documents. Now Roadside Assistance is a FREE initiative started by Harley whereby all Harley's now get free 1 year assistance in the event of aa puncture, tyre burst, dead battery, empty petrol tank etc. and that too FREE OF COST upto 150kms from their dealership and thereafter chargeable. The cost of 5Litre Petrol that they bring for you is to be paid at actuals.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-66_kit_owner-manual.jpg

2 set of keys provided. One with a free Harley keychain worth 900 bucks (what a rip off)
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-67_kit_keys.jpg

Also purchased a Chrome Polish (worth 700 bucks) from them and got a Formula 1 Polish from ebay for just 200 bucks (original).
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-68_kit_polishes.jpg

The VIN details on the right front side. Mfg. date is 08-2013
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-69_vin-no.jpg

Some trivia shots

Front Indicator's finish
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-70_trivia_front-left-indicator.jpg

Front Suspension's chrome finish
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-72_trivia_front-suspension-finish-chrome.jpg

Rear Indicator's finish
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-73_trivia_indicator-rear-finishing.jpg

Rear Suspension's stickering
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-74_trivia_rear-suspension.jpg

Rear Indicator's another look
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-75_trivia_rear-left-indicator.jpg

The beautifully sculpted gas tank
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-76_trivia_harley-superlow-tank.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-77_trivia_tank-left.jpg

Splurged on a Harley T and Golf Cap. Damn expensive (4K).
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-79_harley-t-shirt-cap.jpg

Last but not the least
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-78_trivia_left-front-view.jpg

Ride - I did not bottom out the bike on the entire 100km on fairly bad road from Delhi to Meerut on NH58. Though I did manage to scrape some bumps today riding pillion with my wife. 2 heavy weights together...lolz. The ride is a bit harsh and needs a suspension tuning as I mentioned before, especially if riding pillion. With a regular pillion rider, may even need a upgrade to Progressive Springs. The acceleration is just remarkable, can be called mind blowing, though I am keeping it below 80kmph for the initial 1600kms. The heat from the engines can be felt at lower speeds in the city though not a very big bother as made out to be with a good pair of jeans. Also there are some ergonomic glitches like the horn button. My finger keeps hitting the left indicator button instead of the horn. Needs getting used to.

That's all for now folks...

Last edited by dkaile : 11th September 2013 at 00:07.
dkaile is online now   (32) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 00:11   #5
BHPian

Congrats man

Superlow ground clearance is very low, it tends to scrape speed breakers.

Ride Safe.

Last edited by GTO : 11th September 2013 at 17:58. Reason: Typos
BAKIYA_2K12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 00:18   #6
BHPian

Congrats sir!!!. Now, please install a good crash bar. It is a must for the horrible road, traffic conditions awaiting your precious ride!!!
Leepower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 00:30   #7
BHPian

Congrats on the Hog. Great pictures covering all the details. Ride Safe
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 00:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Booked my Harley and waiting. Congratulations on your new ride. Ride safe!
jyobeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 00:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
cont...

A big and hearty congratulations to you sir on achieving your Harley dream. I cannot imagine how you must be feeling now. Like I have said before you have a very desirable garage and this just makes it complete and perhaps takes it to another level.

As expected your ownership thread lives up to the expectations you have set from your superb and fortuner threads.

Simply fantastic stuff enjoy and ride safe.

Just one question, is there a pillion seat with a back rest? This should improve things I believe.
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 09:24   #10
BHPian

Brilliant! Congrats on your new steed! You have done an amazing job in sharing the details and terrific pics!

Wishing you a many many happy miles!
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 10:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Dkaile on the new ride and that too while you join the Harley band. Simple and elegant describes your bike.

I think the manufacturers make more money from branded goodies than their bikes .

Did not notice any helmet or riding gears in your pics?
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 10:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats dkaile! Amazing details. Please post a video of the sound.

Last edited by GTO : 11th September 2013 at 17:58. Reason: Typo
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 10:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRock View Post
Could we have a ride report.
Thanks. The initial ride report was following in the next post before you posted. More to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKIYA_2K12 View Post
superlow ground clearance is very low it tends to scrap speed breaker.
Thanks. I reached the conclusion that the ground clearance is quite over-hyped for the Superlow especially after having driven it 100kms on a quite battered NH58 from Delhi to Meerut. I did not scrape once in the entire ride riding solo, for which this bike is actually made. Riding with a pillion does cause a few scrapes but nothing that you can't live with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Now, please install a good crash bar. It is a must for the horrible road, traffic conditions awaiting your precious ride!!!
Thanks. I have been riding without one for the past 9 years on my Karizma. Though safety is paramount and you can't have enough of it, I think I will survive without one. A good helmet is more important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Just one question, is there a pillion seat with a back rest? This should improve things I believe.
Thanks. I am planning to get this kind of adjustable backrest that I have shown below which was installed on another Superlow being delivered along with mine. It does cost a bomb though (25k).

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-superlow-delivery-09092013_8.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-superlow-delivery-09092013_9.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-superlow-delivery-09092013_10.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Did not notice any helmet or riding gears in your pics?
Here's one that I 'fabricated'. Lolz... I have a nice leather jacket. Will add more gear and a better helmet as things go along.

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-dsc_0125.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-dsc_0124.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-dsc_0126.jpg

And in my hands ready to ride out of the showroom to Meerut.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-superlow-delivery-09092013_1.jpg

The bike is just a pleasure to drive and really suits my personality.

Last edited by dkaile : 11th September 2013 at 10:27.
dkaile is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 10:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your ride sir!! What a wonderful bike. Wishing you many wonderful miles with it. A picture with the HD cap and t shirt along with the bike?
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 11:04   #15
BHPian

dkaile sir, Congratulations.

Even in the pictures one can get an idea of the quality of materials, the switches, the metal parts used. Top-notch is the word.

So do the Superlow and the Iron 883 share the same engine ?

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks